jawa asks... how are you feeling about GR?

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: jawa asks... how are you feeling about GR?
by Cheeky Devlin » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:15 pm

Mafro wrote:
Qikz wrote:
Mafro wrote:I've got tons of Mumble recordings on my other hard drive of Kil going strawberry floating mental playing Counter Strike/TF2/Gary's Mod/L4D/Any Game. Thought I had uploaded some to YouTube but it appears not.

I've still got this classic though



Why did you stop coming on mumble by the way? You've not been on in ages.

Got bored of listening to everyone playing Counter Strike.

Now we play Overwatch! :D

That may or may not be worse. I don't know.

Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image

JOIN OUR MINECRAFT REALM HERE!
User avatar
Dangerblade
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol

PostRe: jawa asks... how are you feeling about GR?
by Dangerblade » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:41 pm

We need to get timble to come back. The level of enjoyment of this place would increase tenfold.

User avatar
Captain Kinopio
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Herbi
Location: The Observatory

PostRe: jawa asks... how are you feeling about GR?
by Captain Kinopio » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:53 pm

Biggest disappointment I have with this place is how quite GGC is. During E3 people showed up for the conferences but after that the discussion just seemed to die off really quickly. People don't seem to bother making threads anymore as I think there's a perception that unless you chuck in 30 links, a couple of videos, a headline banner and a bunch of funny photoshops that the forum won't reply to it and judging by how quiet GGC is that seems to be true. I know a lot of people post in OT exclusively but as the most active threads here are Football and Politics ones I find it gets pretty toxic and well I'd rather just talk about games.

I don't know how to fix it, people just need to be more willing to contribute. Some of the feedback to the recent podcast was about as helpful as a kick in the nuts so maybe the belief that people will just criticise any attempt to reach out to the community is part of the problem.

Of course if we're talking about ways to generally improve the forum, getting rid of most of the moderators, the emiritus group and banning Mafro would all be a good start. :)

User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: jawa asks... how are you feeling about GR?
by Ad7 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:33 pm

Captain Kinopio wrote:Biggest disappointment I have with this place is how quite GGC is. During E3 people showed up for the conferences but after that the discussion just seemed to die off really quickly. People don't seem to bother making threads anymore as I think there's a perception that unless you chuck in 30 links, a couple of videos, a headline banner and a bunch of funny photoshops that the forum won't reply to it and judging by how quiet GGC is that seems to be true. I know a lot of people post in OT exclusively but as the most active threads here are Football and Politics ones I find it gets pretty toxic and well I'd rather just talk about games.

I don't know how to fix it, people just need to be more willing to contribute. Some of the feedback to the recent podcast was about as helpful as a kick in the nuts so maybe the belief that people will just criticise any attempt to reach out to the community is part of the problem.

Of course if we're talking about ways to generally improve the forum, getting rid of most of the moderators, the emiritus group and banning Mafro would all be a good start. :)


Exactly it for me I'm afraid. I feel if I don't spend most of my evening making a thread (*cough* t:i-convert-my-old-ion-icade-into-a-bartop-raspberry-pi-powered-arcade-machine-how-to-guide-inside ) then it's not worth starting one.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: jawa asks... how are you feeling about GR?
by Moggy » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:50 pm

Dangerblade wrote:We need to get timble to come back. The level of enjoyment of this place would increase tenfold.


This!

User avatar
1cmanny1
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: New Zealand

PostRe: jawa asks... how are you feeling about GR?
by 1cmanny1 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:04 am

Moggy wrote:
Qikz wrote:outside of politics threads I've always seen that person as quite a down to earth and nice guy with a lot of weird life experiences that are interesting to hear about.


Are we talking about sexy ladyboys?


Is that why you are obsessed with him?

Image
User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: jawa asks... how are you feeling about GR?
by Ad7 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:21 am

Image

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: jawa asks... how are you feeling about GR?
by Moggy » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:56 am

1cmanny1 wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Qikz wrote:outside of politics threads I've always seen that person as quite a down to earth and nice guy with a lot of weird life experiences that are interesting to hear about.


Are we talking about sexy ladyboys?


Is that why you are obsessed with him?


It would be politer to refer to them as "her".

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: jawa asks... how are you feeling about GR?
by Preezy » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:46 am

Captain Kinopio wrote:I think there's a perception that unless you chuck in 30 links, a couple of videos, a headline banner and a bunch of funny photoshops that the forum won't reply to it and judging by how quiet GGC is that seems to be true.

Also annoys me how certain people will spam the GGC board making threads with little to no content about a newly released game (NickSCFC), seemingly just so they can claim some sort of pride in having loads of threads or something? Bit odd. I think if a wider variety of people were able to create a thread about a game they were interested in, it might foster more of a community vibe.

Image
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: jawa asks... how are you feeling about GR?
by Saint of Killers » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:41 am

I'm feeling like we're dying on our feet. It's not a good feeling.

Preezy wrote:
Captain Kinopio wrote:I think there's a perception that unless you chuck in 30 links, a couple of videos, a headline banner and a bunch of funny photoshops that the forum won't reply to it and judging by how quiet GGC is that seems to be true.

Also annoys me how certain people will spam the GGC board making threads with little to no content about a newly released game (NickSCFC), seemingly just so they can claim some sort of pride in having loads of threads or something? Bit odd. I think if a wider variety of people were able to create a thread about a game they were interested in, it might foster more of a community vibe.


I say this without being a huge fan of Nick's. (In both GGC and OT.)

Nick hasn't made a thread in ages and no one has stepped in to fill the void. I myself made an effort not to make a thread about one of the most interesting gaming stories last week, in the hope that someone with a better grasp of Valve's role in the situation would make a thread instead and, yet, the only place it got mentioned (indirectly) was in the Videogamer channel thread.

Regarding what Kinopio posted: I've also made threads which are a mix of heavy info and light info, and continued to update the thread with new posts as a way to show people there's more than one way to make threads. Still nothing. I make news threads about game announcements, making it clear that it's not the "official" thread, that someone who's actually interested in the game should make the thread proper. Everyone just posts in the news thread. I wait *ages* after a game's release hoping someone makes a thread for a game and... nothing. If people cba making threads then that's cool, but I'm kind of tired seeing Nick get the blame for it.

Last edited by Saint of Killers on Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: jawa asks... how are you feeling about GR?
by Preezy » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:43 am

I'm just going by what I've experienced, I tend to spend far more time in OT so obviously I'm not as well-informed about GGC as others so I concede that point about Nick (sorry Nick, love you x).

Image
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: jawa asks... how are you feeling about GR?
by Photek » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:43 am

I think Monkey does an excellent job of keeping Xbox Topics up to date, so much so that when he posts, I always check as it's usually some big news Xbox related.

I think people who are passionate about a game should own it, like NMS with you saint and Halo with Monkey, State of Decay 2 is my one at the mo. Was thinking of setting up a 'survival games' thread also. :shifty:

Image
Grcades resident banana split.
User avatar
Knoyleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: jawa asks... how are you feeling about GR?
by Knoyleo » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:55 am

Saint of Killers wrote:I myself made an effort not to make a thread about one of the most interesting gaming stories last week, in the hope that someone with a better grasp of Valve's role in the situation would make a thread instead and, yet, the only place it got mentioned (indirectly) was in the Videogamer channel thread

The CSGO gambling thing? We talked about that in the PCGT, too.

User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: jawa asks... how are you feeling about GR?
by Photek » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:59 am

Yep that was in PC Thread.

Image
Grcades resident banana split.
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: jawa asks... how are you feeling about GR?
by Saint of Killers » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:01 am

Knoyleo wrote:
Saint of Killers wrote:I myself made an effort not to make a thread about one of the most interesting gaming stories last week, in the hope that someone with a better grasp of Valve's role in the situation would make a thread instead and, yet, the only place it got mentioned (indirectly) was in the Videogamer channel thread

The CSGO gambling thing? We talked about that in the PCGT, too.


I suspected it would be. (I don't go in there half as often as I should.) Ta for confirming.

| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
Lotus
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: jawa asks... how are you feeling about GR?
by Lotus » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:03 am

For me:

- I don't have the time - or inclination - to post as much as I used to, particularly in 'Games', because I probably only complete 4 or 5 games a year and have no interest in the current gen consoles.
- There used to be a fairly regular and active 'daytime crew', which has largely disappeared.
- Some threads are bogged down by the same people trotting out the same old shite, which drags the threads down/derails them/probably puts people off posting.
- So much petty/pointless arguing/debate.
- Some members annoy me, so I tend to not want to engage with them, and they happen to be in some of the more active threads.

Image
User avatar
Remi Dong
Bizarre Title
Joined in 2008
Location: Bered Kai Nev

PostRe: jawa asks... how are you feeling about GR?
by Remi Dong » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:07 am

Lotus wrote:There used to be a fairly regular and active 'daytime crew', which has largely disappeared.

There's a new crew though, join us :toot:

User avatar
Lotus
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: jawa asks... how are you feeling about GR?
by Lotus » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:20 am

Dan. wrote:
Lotus wrote:There used to be a fairly regular and active 'daytime crew', which has largely disappeared.

There's a new crew though, join us :toot:

Lotus wrote:- Some members annoy me, so I tend to not want to engage with them


:slol:

;)

Image
User avatar
Buffalo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: jawa asks... how are you feeling about GR?
by Buffalo » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:24 am

Name names, I reckon.

Image
User avatar
Remi Dong
Bizarre Title
Joined in 2008
Location: Bered Kai Nev

PostRe: jawa asks... how are you feeling about GR?
by Remi Dong » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:29 am

Lotus wrote:
Dan. wrote:
Lotus wrote:There used to be a fairly regular and active 'daytime crew', which has largely disappeared.

There's a new crew though, join us :toot:

Lotus wrote:- Some members annoy me, so I tend to not want to engage with them


:slol:

;)

:o :x

:cry:


Return to “Stuff”