KFC's new offensive, misleading and distressing TV commercial...

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Blue Eyes
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: KFC's new offensive, misleading and distressing TV commercial...
by Blue Eyes » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:37 am

Lucien wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:Doesn't the EU have pretty strict laws on the conditions that chickens can be kept in to ensure that it's not like an American battery farm where they're just shoved in with as many chickens in as small a space as possible?


We have similar farms, though ours aren't as bad as the US'

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... on-reveals

Knoyleo wrote:Lucien, how do you feel about the below egg packaging/branding?

Image


I'm not a fan of that because I don't like animal servitude being marketed as a happy or loving thing.

Are you a vegetarian?

User avatar
Lucien
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: KFC's new offensive, misleading and distressing TV commercial...
by Lucien » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:00 pm

Blue Eyes wrote:Are you a vegetarian?


Nope - I'm working towards it. All my breakfasts, lunches and snacks are vegetarian, as are three of my seven main meals. The thing is though you don't have to be vegetarian, etc, to be against the adverts. You could eat meat all the time and be against adverts that portray animal agriculture as a happy or funny affair.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: KFC's new offensive, misleading and distressing TV commercial...
by Moggy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:06 pm

Lucien wrote:
Blue Eyes wrote:Are you a vegetarian?


Nope - I'm working towards it. All my breakfasts, lunches and snacks are vegetarian, as are three of my seven main meals. The thing is though you don't have to be vegetarian, etc, to be against the adverts. You could eat meat all the time and be against adverts that portray animal agriculture as a happy or funny affair.


4 out of 7 of your main meals are meat based but you lecture people on the oppression of animals and the advertising of fast food? :fp:

You don't need to work towards being a veggie/vegan, you just don't eat meat or use animal based products. Until then you are as much as an "oppressor" as any other carnivore but far far more hypocritical.

User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: KFC's new offensive, misleading and distressing TV commercial...
by Hexx » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:07 pm

The "whole" chicken?

Like. The beak and claws? That's put me right off my family feast bucket :(

User avatar
Lucien
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: KFC's new offensive, misleading and distressing TV commercial...
by Lucien » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:17 pm

Moggy wrote:
Lucien wrote:
Blue Eyes wrote:Are you a vegetarian?


Nope - I'm working towards it. All my breakfasts, lunches and snacks are vegetarian, as are three of my seven main meals. The thing is though you don't have to be vegetarian, etc, to be against the adverts. You could eat meat all the time and be against adverts that portray animal agriculture as a happy or funny affair.


4 out of 7 of your main meals are meat based but you lecture people on the oppression of animals and the advertising of fast food? :fp:

You don't need to work towards being a veggie/vegan, you just don't eat meat or use animal based products. Until then you are as much as an "oppressor" as any other carnivore but far far more hypocritical.


Did I say nobody should eat animals? Am I promoting veganism? No.

As I said you could eat meat all the time and be against the advertisements.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tu_quoque

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: KFC's new offensive, misleading and distressing TV commercial...
by Moggy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:30 pm

Lucien wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Lucien wrote:
Blue Eyes wrote:Are you a vegetarian?


Nope - I'm working towards it. All my breakfasts, lunches and snacks are vegetarian, as are three of my seven main meals. The thing is though you don't have to be vegetarian, etc, to be against the adverts. You could eat meat all the time and be against adverts that portray animal agriculture as a happy or funny affair.


4 out of 7 of your main meals are meat based but you lecture people on the oppression of animals and the advertising of fast food? :fp:

You don't need to work towards being a veggie/vegan, you just don't eat meat or use animal based products. Until then you are as much as an "oppressor" as any other carnivore but far far more hypocritical.


Did I say nobody should eat animals? Am I promoting veganism? No.

As I said you could eat meat all the time and be against the advertisements.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tu_quoque


When your argument comes down to a Wiki link to a logical fallacy then you kind of know you're taking shite.

"Advertising oppressed animals is wrong"
"Yum yum meat!"

:fp:

User avatar
Lucien
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: KFC's new offensive, misleading and distressing TV commercial...
by Lucien » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:42 pm

Moggy wrote:When your argument comes down to a Wiki link to a logical fallacy then you kind of know you're taking shite.

"Advertising oppressed animals is wrong"
"Yum yum meat!"

:fp:


My rant in this thread wasn't about me or the ethics of eating meat. If you think I'm horrible for a separate action, good stuff, I'll go and become a perfect being so you can accept KFC's advert is disgusting. Except vegans already exist so you can accept that truth now (except you can't, obviously, because you're not vegan :roll: ).

User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: KFC's new offensive, misleading and distressing TV commercial...
by Errkal » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:50 pm

Lucien wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:Doesn't the EU have pretty strict laws on the conditions that chickens can be kept in to ensure that it's not like an American battery farm where they're just shoved in with as many chickens in as small a space as possible?


We have similar farms, though ours aren't as bad as the US'

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... on-reveals


Do those mega farms conform to the Red Tractor guidelines, or would they not get that certification?

User avatar
Karl
Imi Wakannai
Imi Wakannai
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: KFC's new offensive, misleading and distressing TV commercial...
by Karl » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:57 pm

Chickens aren't oppressed because they don't have the sociocultural concept of the value of liberty. Portraying them as happy is nothing more than a cutesy non-sequitur, because chickens cannot be 'happy' or 'sad' in any human sense of the word. Being used to advertise the purchase of their own corpses isn't offensive because chickens don't have a sense of dignity and they don't understand irony.

Chickens can feel uncomfortable or stressed out (probably). The EU is better than most regions of the world for ensuring livestock are raised comfortably, but I am sure there is a lot of livestock here that is still uncomfortable. This is unfortunate, but should be tackled by taking steps to iterate on & improve livestock welfare legislation on a national or EU level. That has very little to do with KFC, their marketing firm, or people who eat fried chicken.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: KFC's new offensive, misleading and distressing TV commercial...
by Moggy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:02 pm

Lucien wrote:
Moggy wrote:When your argument comes down to a Wiki link to a logical fallacy then you kind of know you're taking shite.

"Advertising oppressed animals is wrong"
"Yum yum meat!"

:fp:


My rant in this thread wasn't about me or the ethics of eating meat. If you think I'm horrible for a separate action, good stuff, I'll go and become a perfect being so you can accept KFC's advert is disgusting. Except vegans already exist so you can accept that truth now (except you can't, obviously, because you're not vegan :roll: ).


The point is that you are calling an advert disgusting for portraying a chicken as happy, while stuffing your face with chicken.

Chickens don't feel happy, sad or oppressed, they are not sentient beings. If there was a sentient chicken then I'd imagine it would be more pissed off at the idea of eating it then making an advert starring it.

This is a ridiculous argument though. Oppressed chickens. :lol:

User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: KFC's new offensive, misleading and distressing TV commercial...
by Ad7 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:06 pm

Vegans are the apple fanboys of food.

User avatar
Lucien
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: KFC's new offensive, misleading and distressing TV commercial...
by Lucien » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:41 pm

Moggy wrote:Chickens don't feel happy, sad or oppressed, they are not sentient beings. If there was a sentient chicken then I'd imagine it would be more pissed off at the idea of eating it then making an advert starring it.


The vast majority of scientists think chickens are sentient.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: KFC's new offensive, misleading and distressing TV commercial...
by Moggy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:44 pm

Lucien wrote:
Moggy wrote:Chickens don't feel happy, sad or oppressed, they are not sentient beings. If there was a sentient chicken then I'd imagine it would be more pissed off at the idea of eating it then making an advert starring it.


The vast majority of scientists think chickens are sentient.


Ok they are sentient and you enjoy munching their dead flesh while lecturing others over oppressed chicken adverts. Strong moral argument there mate.

User avatar
Karl
Imi Wakannai
Imi Wakannai
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: KFC's new offensive, misleading and distressing TV commercial...
by Karl » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:45 pm

Chickens are 'sentient' - sentience is a scale, and almost everything with a nervous system registers somewhere on that scale - but most people really mean 'sapient' when they say that word. Chickens are for sure not sapient.

Sentience basically means 'can feel' i.e. can experience pain. Sapience is more or less the ability to reason abstractly, a much higher and more meaningful bar. (I'm not going to give more formal definitions because it's probably impossible to define the terms precisely.)

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: KFC's new offensive, misleading and distressing TV commercial...
by Preezy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:52 pm

Karl wrote:Being used to advertise the purchase of their own corpses

Never thought of it that way before :lol:

Image
User avatar
Lucien
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: KFC's new offensive, misleading and distressing TV commercial...
by Lucien » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:56 pm

Moggy wrote:
Lucien wrote:
Moggy wrote:Chickens don't feel happy, sad or oppressed, they are not sentient beings. If there was a sentient chicken then I'd imagine it would be more pissed off at the idea of eating it then making an advert starring it.


The vast majority of scientists think chickens are sentient.


Ok they are sentient and you enjoy munching their dead flesh while lecturing others over oppressed chicken adverts. Strong moral argument there mate.


Not that it has anything to do with the the issue of KFC advert... but I don't enjoy it which is why I'm changing my diet, although I'm "happy" to eat meat if I think it results in producing the lowest harm.

But fine say I'm this or that -- by comparison you're someone who doesn't care about using animals in these adverts and you don't care about what you eat; I'd rather be "hypocritical" than like that.

User avatar
Denster
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: KFC's new offensive, misleading and distressing TV commercial...
by Denster » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:44 pm

You seem to be taking this far too seriously.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: KFC's new offensive, misleading and distressing TV commercial...
by Moggy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:10 pm

Lucien wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Lucien wrote:
Moggy wrote:Chickens don't feel happy, sad or oppressed, they are not sentient beings. If there was a sentient chicken then I'd imagine it would be more pissed off at the idea of eating it then making an advert starring it.


The vast majority of scientists think chickens are sentient.


Ok they are sentient and you enjoy munching their dead flesh while lecturing others over oppressed chicken adverts. Strong moral argument there mate.


Not that it has anything to do with the the issue of KFC advert... but I don't enjoy it which is why I'm changing my diet, although I'm "happy" to eat meat if I think it results in producing the lowest harm.

But fine say I'm this or that -- by comparison you're someone who doesn't care about using animals in these adverts and you don't care about what you eat; I'd rather be "hypocritical" than like that.


I think we should treat animals as humanly as possible but I have no issue with "comedy" adverts or eating them.

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: KFC's new offensive, misleading and distressing TV commercial...
by Preezy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:27 pm

Lucien - do you object to them filming cows for adverts that sell milk or cheese? These poor cows are being RAPED and HUMILIATED and OPPRESSED for their glandular secretions, strawberry floating delicious despicable :x

Image
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: KFC's new offensive, misleading and distressing TV commercial...
by Hexx » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:29 pm

So group KFC tonight?
I'm in the mood...


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Albear, Alexa [Bot], bigcheez2k3, Bing [Bot], Bunni, Finish.Last, Lagamorph, lex-man, Mafro, Oblomov Boblomov, OrangeRakoon, Peter Crisp, Preezy, PuppetBoy, Return_of_the_STAR, Rightey, Ste, Tafdolphin, That's not a growth, Tineash, Yahoo [Bot], Yoshimi and 65 guests