L.A. Noire (Coming to PS4, Switch, XBO and Vive)

Anything to do with games at all.

Which format will you be purchasing LA Noire on?

PlayStation 3
50
39%
Xbox 360
79
61%
 
Total votes: 129
User avatar
jamcc
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: L.A. Noire (360, PS3)
by jamcc » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:36 am

Alvin Flummux wrote:I don't get the complaints about the cars; I'm sure if any of you drove real 1940s cars you'd say they handled badly by comparison to modern cars too. It's just how they were. I got on with them fine.


This.

User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: L.A. Noire (360, PS3)
by Ad7 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:37 am

I liked the on rails handeling, it meant i could actually have a bit of fun chasing people around rather than sliding backwards into a lamppost on every corner.

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: L.A. Noire (360, PS3)
by Lagamorph » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:46 pm

Huh, just saw on Steam there's a PC version of LA Noire being released on November 11th including all the DLC. I hadn't heard a thing about a PC version until now.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
KingK
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: L.A. Noire (360, PS3)
by KingK » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:44 am

Just picked this up for £12.99 on 360 and up to Detective 1st mission (Red Lipstick Murder) but so far so meh for me. Honestly can't see what all the hubbub was about. It's just average so far- to me anyway

Image
Oblomov Boblomov on 4 Nov 2017 wrote:We're losing 4-1 and Forest are winning 4-0. Someone pass me the strawberry floating wine.
User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Irene Demova

PostRe: L.A. Noire (360, PS3)
by Dual » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:59 am

It stays average so don't get too excited.

User avatar
TheTurnipKing
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: L.A. Noire (360, PS3)
by TheTurnipKing » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:26 am

That said, having gone from LA Noire to Saint's Row 3, I'm really missing the facial animation.

User avatar
mokeyjoe
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Preston, UK

PostRe: Re: L.A. Noire (360, PS3)
by mokeyjoe » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:15 pm

KingK wrote:Just picked this up for £12.99 on 360 and up to Detective 1st mission (Red Lipstick Murder) but so far so meh for me. Honestly can't see what all the hubbub was about. It's just average so far- to me anyway


It's my game of the year, but if it doesn't grab you from the outset then I doubt it will. If you like the old Noir genre movies, and Raymond Chandler books etc then it's magic. If you're largely indifferent then I can't see it having the same appeal.

Three things that make it better IMO:

1. Skip the driving bits; it may have an open world but it's not an open world game, just an adventure game at heart. They just get in the way of the stories.

2. Play in black and white; the lighting is tweaked beautifully on this mode and it just plain looks better. I'm pretty sure this is the way it was originally envisioned to look, but marketing blah, blah, blah.

3. Turn on all the assists for clue hunting; there's no reason to stretch it out and having all the evidence makes the interrogations better.

Image
User avatar
Drunken_Master
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Re: L.A. Noire (360, PS3)
by Drunken_Master » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:06 am

mokeyjoe wrote:
It's my game of the year, but if it doesn't grab you from the outset then I doubt it will. If you like the old Noir genre movies, and Raymond Chandler books etc then it's magic. If you're largely indifferent then I can't see it having the same appeal.



This.

It's my game of the year too, for all the reasons you've just said. Can't think of any other game which is as evocative as this game is.

Image

Prime Directives : Prosecute those who steal memes from other forums. :fp:
User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Re: L.A. Noire (360, PS3)
by Brerlappin » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:16 am

Drunken_Master wrote:
mokeyjoe wrote:
It's my game of the year, but if it doesn't grab you from the outset then I doubt it will. If you like the old Noir genre movies, and Raymond Chandler books etc then it's magic. If you're largely indifferent then I can't see it having the same appeal.



This.

It's my game of the year too, for all the reasons you've just said. Can't think of any other game which is as evocative as this game is.


Just a shame theres no gameplay and you can pretty much finish it without even attempting to solve any cases properly cause aside form a dressing down from the boss theres no actual punishment for arresting the wrong person. Also the story is ridiculously crap. And the city is just empty and lifeless. And the plot makes zero sense. And the facial tech makes it look like the faces are being rear projected onto a mannequins head. And that if you play the first case youve essentially seen everything the game has to offer for the next 20 hours. but yeah aside from that, goty.

User avatar
Drunken_Master
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Re: L.A. Noire (360, PS3)
by Drunken_Master » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:20 pm

Brerlappins little hat wrote:
Drunken_Master wrote:
mokeyjoe wrote:
It's my game of the year, but if it doesn't grab you from the outset then I doubt it will. If you like the old Noir genre movies, and Raymond Chandler books etc then it's magic. If you're largely indifferent then I can't see it having the same appeal.



This.

It's my game of the year too, for all the reasons you've just said. Can't think of any other game which is as evocative as this game is.


Just a shame theres no gameplay and you can pretty much finish it without even attempting to solve any cases properly cause aside form a dressing down from the boss theres no actual punishment for arresting the wrong person. Also the story is ridiculously crap. And the city is just empty and lifeless. And the plot makes zero sense. And the facial tech makes it look like the faces are being rear projected onto a mannequins head. And that if you play the first case youve essentially seen everything the game has to offer for the next 20 hours. but yeah aside from that, goty.


Bah. Still loved the game. I love film noir, neo noir, the novels of Hammett, Chandler and Ellroy. So it was always going to appeal to me, enough for me to forgive its shortcomings. Yes, there's very little replayability and you can finish it despite being a complete and utter arse. But I found that to be quite refreshing. Reminded me of the old Lucasarts point and click games, which didn't punish the player for making mistakes.

What it did do successfully was make me feel like a detective in 40s LA. There's a video here of a real life detective who played LA Noire. He liked it too. No doubt he'll have thrown his controller through the screen when the game goes all Se7en though :lol:

http://www.g4tv.com/videos/53057/a-real ... -la-noire/

Image

Prime Directives : Prosecute those who steal memes from other forums. :fp:
User avatar
mokeyjoe
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Preston, UK

PostRe: Re: L.A. Noire (360, PS3)
by mokeyjoe » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:58 am

Brerlappins little hat wrote:
Drunken_Master wrote:
mokeyjoe wrote:
It's my game of the year, but if it doesn't grab you from the outset then I doubt it will. If you like the old Noir genre movies, and Raymond Chandler books etc then it's magic. If you're largely indifferent then I can't see it having the same appeal.



This.

It's my game of the year too, for all the reasons you've just said. Can't think of any other game which is as evocative as this game is.


Just a shame theres no gameplay and you can pretty much finish it without even attempting to solve any cases properly cause aside form a dressing down from the boss theres no actual punishment for arresting the wrong person. Also the story is ridiculously crap. And the city is just empty and lifeless. And the plot makes zero sense. And the facial tech makes it look like the faces are being rear projected onto a mannequins head. And that if you play the first case youve essentially seen everything the game has to offer for the next 20 hours. but yeah aside from that, goty.


Yeah, the game has it's problems but I don't agree with any of the particular points you mention apart from there not being much to do in the city - gorgeous as it is, it's just a backdrop.

It bugged me when I made a hash of a case and I immediately wanted to do better; the stories were appropriately pulpy, just as they should be; and the facial animation makes everything else I play look a generation behind. I rarely replay games but this is one I keep going back to between other games.

I guess it's one of those polarising games, like my (almost) GOTY last year, Bayonetta. In fact most of the games I seem to love most tend to have some pretty big flaws rubbing up against something rather unique. "There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion" etc...

Image
User avatar
Jamo3103
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Manchester

PostRe: L.A. Noire (360, PS3)
by Jamo3103 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:56 pm

I didn't really enjoy what I played of this, found all the mechanics to be really clumsy and it just all felt a bit broken. Potential was clearly there and I could see how it could be enjoyable if you overlook the flaws but to be honest I have too many other good games to be playing right about now. Felt like if they'd removed the action mechanics and turned it into a point and click it would have been a vastly superior game!

User avatar
TheTurnipKing
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: L.A. Noire (360, PS3)
by TheTurnipKing » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:44 pm

I don't mind the action mechanics. They're a bit perfunctory, but they do an agreeable job of breaking up the interrogation. It's the big, empty, souless void of LA which is the sticking point for me.

Actually, thinking about it, the game it MOST reminds me of is Westwood's Blade Runner. That was all brooding atmosphere, too.

User avatar
mokeyjoe
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Preston, UK

PostRe: L.A. Noire (360, PS3)
by mokeyjoe » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:12 pm

Coconut Bob wrote:I didn't really enjoy what I played of this, found all the mechanics to be really clumsy and it just all felt a bit broken. Potential was clearly there and I could see how it could be enjoyable if you overlook the flaws but to be honest I have too many other good games to be playing right about now. Felt like if they'd removed the action mechanics and turned it into a point and click it would have been a vastly superior game!


I can see where you're coming from. I very quickly began to skip driving between locations and any of the sandboxy stuff, which all seemed unnecessary and tacked on. I didn't enjoy those bits so I ignored them, and just concentrated on the cases which I found really engaging.

It was absolutely an adventure game for me, certainly closer to a point and click than GTA, with a bit of light action to change the pace now and again. I like adventure games, and they're few and far between. When was the last big budget attempt at one? Heavy Rain? And this is much better.

Image
User avatar
rudderless
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: L.A. Noire (360, PS3)
by rudderless » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:18 am

A brilliant piece of writing about LA Noire from (in my opinion) games journalism's finest writer:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... d-the-city

[iup=3595962]KB[/iup] wrote:People like Glen Whelan have a proper face!
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: L.A. Noire (360, PS3)
by Tomous » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:23 am

I really enjoyed the first half. I liked the characters, the setup and the story and wasn't too bothered by how on rails it could be at times.

However, it just seemed too long for me. The second half become a chore and I got more and more bored. I finished it for the sake of it really.

Also, I think it needed more cases where you had to decide between 2 suspects.

User avatar
Schumi
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: L.A. Noire (360, PS3)
by Schumi » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:17 am

The main gripe I had were the decisions you made didn't really affect the game in anyway, other than the star rating you were given at the end of the case.

Other than perhaps one case you couldn't charge the wrong person, you couldn't miss out on a vital piece of evidence or anything like that. I know there is a fine line between giving you freedom and making the game unplayable, it would be gooseberry fool if you failed every mission because the game gave you no help and you missed something tucked away in the corner, but for the most part it didn't really vary between finding 1 piece of evidence, or finding 4 bits, you'd still get the same outcome. This is hardly new information, but it's the major gripe I had with the game.

Also didn't like how the story jumped around so much, it was very clear they'd cut out sections at times, and I really didn't like how a game based on making choices forced your character to randomly have an affair, despite doing nothing but play up how good a family man he was. :lol:

It wasn't a bad game, the desk investigating the serial killer was superb I thought, however after that it all became a bit disjointed.

User avatar
Drunken_Master
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: L.A. Noire (360, PS3)
by Drunken_Master » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:07 pm

I hope there's a sequel to this game. And I also hope they take a leaf out of Telltale's Walking Dead book. Imagine a LA Noire, where you actions have consequences. Where players stories are different. Maybe in my story, I sent an innocent man to the electric chair.

Image

Prime Directives : Prosecute those who steal memes from other forums. :fp:
User avatar
Mr Yoshi
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: L.A. Noire (360, PS3)
by Mr Yoshi » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:08 pm

rudderless wrote:A brilliant piece of writing about LA Noire from (in my opinion) games journalism's finest writer:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... d-the-city


Good read, this. Have to say though, Jason Killingsworth's writing is brilliant and the stuff on his blog makes him my favourite writer in games journalism at the moment.

User avatar
Christmas Name Change
Bizarre Title
Joined in 2008
AKA: Dan.
Location: Bered Kai Nev

PostRe: L.A. Noire (360, PS3)
by Christmas Name Change » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:09 am

I've only just started this myself, but I'm really enjoying it so far.


Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 41 guests