Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut

Our best bits.
User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Rex Kramer » Wed May 16, 2018 9:46 am

Moggy wrote:Avengers: Infinity War – 9/10

I loved it, a great comic book movie and finally a really good bad guy for the Marvel universe.

I think you're being a little harsh, the last few MCU films have had great villains.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Moggy » Wed May 16, 2018 10:04 am

Rex Kramer wrote:
Moggy wrote:Avengers: Infinity War – 9/10

I loved it, a great comic book movie and finally a really good bad guy for the Marvel universe.

I think you're being a little harsh, the last few MCU films have had great villains.


That’s true actually now that I think about it. Spider-Man and Black Panther had decent villains. I thought Ragnarok was lacking in the villain front (Blanchett is great but her character was poorly used) and although I enjoyed GoTG2 and Kurt Russell’s performance, I didn’t think the villain was all that strong.

User avatar
Yoshimi
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Near Edinburgh

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Yoshimi » Wed May 16, 2018 10:53 am

Deadpool 2 - 9/10

Loved loved loved it! So many one-liners. Great characters, old and new. Negasonic Teenage Warhead is hottt! As is Domino and Morena Baccarin.

User avatar
Jazzem
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Jazzem » Wed May 16, 2018 2:09 pm

Moggy wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:
Moggy wrote:Avengers: Infinity War – 9/10

I loved it, a great comic book movie and finally a really good bad guy for the Marvel universe.

I think you're being a little harsh, the last few MCU films have had great villains.


That’s true actually now that I think about it. Spider-Man and Black Panther had decent villains. I thought Ragnarok was lacking in the villain front (Blanchett is great but her character was poorly used) and although I enjoyed GoTG2 and Kurt Russell’s performance, I didn’t think the villain was all that strong.


The car trip to the prom in Spidey is such an amazingly chilling sequence, easily one of the highlights of the MCU for me

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Moggy » Wed May 16, 2018 2:12 pm

Jazzem wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:
Moggy wrote:Avengers: Infinity War – 9/10

I loved it, a great comic book movie and finally a really good bad guy for the Marvel universe.

I think you're being a little harsh, the last few MCU films have had great villains.


That’s true actually now that I think about it. Spider-Man and Black Panther had decent villains. I thought Ragnarok was lacking in the villain front (Blanchett is great but her character was poorly used) and although I enjoyed GoTG2 and Kurt Russell’s performance, I didn’t think the villain was all that strong.


The car trip to the prom in Spidey is such an amazingly chilling sequence, easily one of the highlights of the MCU for me


Spidey has been great in Civil War, Homecoming and Infinity War. It gives me hope that Marvel would do amazing things with Fantastic 4 and the X-Men if they ever get them back. :datass:

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Preezy » Wed May 16, 2018 9:03 pm

Black Panther - 6/10

It was alright, but full of ropey CGI and even ropier accents. I also found the idea of a super wealthy and advanced African nation standing by and letting the rest of Africa starve and die of AIDS and malaria (all while they enjoy their pristine city barbecues and Star Trek healthcare) pretty abhorrent. And it appears to be an absolute monarchy with zero democratic ambitions, which sucks.

Black Panther himself (the title, rather than the guy in the suit for the majority of the film) seems a bit of a nationalist with the whole isolationist “Wakanda Forever” (complete with arm salute ala the Nazis) which was also a bit... disconcerting.

Andy Serkis was great and it’s a shame he got such a lame ending, that whole bit didn’t make any sense. Why did Killmonger rescue him only to then kill him? Not a plot hole so much as just completely unnecessary.

Also when Forrest Whittaker got stabbed why didn’t they just use their awesome magic technology to heal him? It was only a stab wound, T’Challa got stabbed pretty much the same in the first challenge fight and he didn’t seem all that bothered. I guess the magic healthcare only works when it’s convenient to the plot.

It all got a bit silly with the rhinos in that last battle, but I guess it’s in Africa so you gots to have your rhinos.

I think as a stand-alone film it fails to explain enough to an audience that hasn’t seen the MCU films around it, but as an entry in the MCU it’s fine.

Overrated but fine.

Oh and the African music with the guy singing was great, very Black Hawk Down.

User avatar
Albear
Moderator
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Albear » Thu May 17, 2018 6:54 am

I completely agree with you.

I was really surprised how average I found the film after all the praise it's been receiving. The CGI was dreadful in some scenes.

I really liked the Sound track though.

User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Squinty » Thu May 17, 2018 7:15 am

It's a 7/10 movie for me. I liked it, but I never want to see it again.

The girl who plays his sister is great in it though.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Tafdolphin » Thu May 17, 2018 7:19 am

The CGI was indeed terrible in some scenes. The final fight between T'Challa and Kilmonger looked like a video game CGI sequence from the mid 2000s.

I like it better then you lot though, it's probably my second or third favourite MCU film.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Preezy » Thu May 17, 2018 9:02 am

Thor 3 > GoTG 1 > Iron Man 1 >>>>>> the rest

User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Hime » Thu May 17, 2018 9:46 am

I don't disagree with anything you've said Preezy but I too enjoyed the film more and would have given it 8/10. The story was throw away but it did a good job in setting up Wakanda and the side charcters and expanding on Black Panther after Civil War.

Image
User avatar
King Chaz
Member
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by King Chaz » Thu May 17, 2018 10:15 am

Preezy wrote:
Andy Serkis was great and it’s a shame he got such a lame ending, that whole bit didn’t make any sense. Why did Killmonger rescue him only to then kill him? Not a plot hole so much as just completely unnecessary.



Killmonger needed Klaue to get on the good side of the border tribe, lead by the main actor from Get Out whose parents were killed by Klaue and was annoyed that T'Challa couldn't avenge him.

Preezy wrote:
Also when Forrest Whittaker got stabbed why didn’t they just use their awesome magic technology to heal him? It was only a stab wound, T’Challa got stabbed pretty much the same in the first challenge fight and he didn’t seem all that bothered. I guess the magic healthcare only works when it’s convenient to the plot.


Forrest Whittaker's character was stabbed in the heart, whereas T'Challa was stabbed in the side. Even with the advanced health-care I don't think they could have got him back to Shuri's lab before he died.

Preezy wrote:
Black Panther himself (the title, rather than the guy in the suit for the majority of the film) seems a bit of a nationalist with the whole isolationist “Wakanda Forever” (complete with arm salute ala the Nazis) which was also a bit... disconcerting.


I do like this point though. Overall I give the film a 7.5/10, they got rid of two good villains when Marvel usually get the villains so wrong.

Image
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Preezy » Thu May 17, 2018 10:28 am

King Chaz wrote:
Preezy wrote:
Also when Forrest Whittaker got stabbed why didn’t they just use their awesome magic technology to heal him? It was only a stab wound, T’Challa got stabbed pretty much the same in the first challenge fight and he didn’t seem all that bothered. I guess the magic healthcare only works when it’s convenient to the plot.

Forrest Whittaker's character was stabbed in the heart, whereas T'Challa was stabbed in the side. Even with the advanced health-care I don't think they could have got him back to Shuri's lab before he died.

Killmonger got stabbed right in the heart and he was able to climb out of the extremely deep vibranium mine, have a chat with T'Challa and watch the sun go down. In fact he only died when he pulled the blade out, the idiot! It seems that extreme chest trauma is a bit hit and miss in Wakanda :lol:

With regard to your point about Klaue - That's a good explanation. Although why not just kill him when he was handcuffed to the chair in the CIA safehouse? Bit contrived.

I'm probably just being picky about that though.

User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Brerlappin » Thu May 17, 2018 12:47 pm

I understand the cultural importance of Black Panther, and that alone is amazing, but yeah viewed solely as a film, its merely "okay".

User avatar
Godzilla
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Godzilla » Thu May 17, 2018 1:14 pm

Deadpool 2 - 9/10

Loved every second of it. Loads of stuff not in the trailer and the jokes that were are re cut to still work. Excellent action, large cast, amazing X Force moment and a lot of heart. Well done to Josh Brolin for being in two of the best this year.

Wish my image sig would work
User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Gemini73 » Thu May 17, 2018 1:20 pm

War Games.

It's been over twenty years since I last watched this. Finding the movie on Netflix I was pleasantly surprised by how much I still enjoyed it.

8/10

“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here".
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Preezy » Thu May 17, 2018 2:10 pm

It's a great film - "The only winning move is not to play."

DEEP BRO

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Moggy » Thu May 17, 2018 2:13 pm

I loved War Games when I was a kid. I have always been too scared to watch it again just in case it is crap and ruins my entire childhood.

I might check it out based on Gemini and Preezy’s recommendation.

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Preezy » Thu May 17, 2018 2:16 pm

Obviously parts of it have aged terribly, but the overall concept of the film still applies today and makes you quite fearful for how something like nuclear holocaust could easily happen by mistake.

User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Oblomov Boblomov » Thu May 17, 2018 7:02 pm

Anon

Holy hell, what an absolute steaming pile of horse gooseberry fool. How the strawberry float did this get past the original script?

Image

Return to “Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests