Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut

Our best bits.
User avatar
Pedz
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Pedz » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:38 pm

Just watched Coco. Loved it if I'm honest. I don't know if it's been well received or not, but hey, I thought it was great.

ImageImageImageImage.
Image
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Tafdolphin » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:24 pm

Pedz wrote:Just watched Coco. Loved it if I'm honest. I don't know if it's been well received or not, but hey, I thought it was great.


So, you could say...



Made it about 45 minutes into Jupiter Ascending and couldn't believe how gooseberry fool it was. Had enough after the 20 minute "sitting in a room with Sean Bean as he explains the plot" scene. Some of the effects were nice though.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Joer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Joer » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:44 pm

Coco's last five minutes made me cry more than any other film has made me cry. Both eyes were streaming with tears and I just had no control over it. :oops:

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Preezy » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:49 pm

Joer wrote:Coco's last five minutes made me cry more than any other film has made me cry. Both eyes were streaming with tears and I just had no control over it. :oops:

You shouldn't watch films whilst chopping onions, Joer :roll:

User avatar
Pedz
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Pedz » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:53 pm

Joer go near an onion? Pffft, yeah right.

ImageImageImageImage.
Image
User avatar
more heat than light
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Leicestershire

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by more heat than light » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:15 pm

Nocturnal Animals.

I thought this was fantastic, to be honest. Beautifully shot, brilliantly acted and brutally devastating. Could have done without the opening credits though. :dread:

9/10

jawafour wrote:You definitely have the biggest one, mhtl - it's strawberry-floatin' massive!
User avatar
Johnny Jalfrezi
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Where-ford? Here-ford!

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Johnny Jalfrezi » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:37 am

Three Billboards etc 3/10

It's objectively a well-made film with some decent performances (though I don't get why everyone is going overboard about Frances McDormand's performance - it's far from a demanding role), but I found it to be one of the most mean-spirited films I've ever seen with a serious nasty streak through it. The dialogue isn't as witty as it thinks it is either - it comes across as a bit try-hard - and the plot has hardly any direction at all. It's like a film that was written and directed by David Brent.

User avatar
Frank
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Frank » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:09 pm

I've just watched Three Billboards, too. I think a lot of the humour was a bit... ill-timed? It plays a bit too much on the "all policemen in America are racist" angle when it's not exactly a neccessary plot point, and it's probably still a little too soon considering how often stories of police brutality seem to come out of America. Especially since they're meant to be investigating a murder/rape and there's maybe three black people in the whole film.

Harrelson was great as the Chief, though. The ten minutes or so leading up to his suicide and then the subsequent fallout in/out of the police station was fantastic

I think the funniest part was her drive-by mouthing off at the woman doing the news report :lol:

Disappointing ending, too.

It's hard to really rate. I think I enjoyed it but I wouldn't have watched it in the cinema. Maybe a 6?

Also is Mac's mom typecast as like... the white-trash mom character or is it just that that's all I've seen her in?

Image
User avatar
IAmTheSaladMan
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by IAmTheSaladMan » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:41 am

I am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House (wow that’s a mouthful). I watched this Netflix Original last night and crikey is it awful. Perhaps the worst horror movie I’ve ever seen. It doesn’t even get a pass for being so bad it’s good, it’s just bad.

It has barely any story, it’s full of pretentious monologues that don’t really mean anything, it has a cast of less than 10 and they’re all gooseberry fool and worst of all for a horror film it’s really strawberry floating boring.

The film is only around 1 hour 25 long but it feels so much longer because nothing ever happens. The majority of the movie is just some woman wandering round a house, often just standing there doing nothing. I kept watching thinking it must be building to something but no, it just sort of ends.

1/10

Last edited by IAmTheSaladMan on Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Tafdolphin » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:52 am

Johnny Jalfrezi wrote:Three Billboards etc 3/10

It's objectively a well-made film with some decent performances (though I don't get why everyone is going overboard about Frances McDormand's performance - it's far from a demanding role), but I found it to be one of the most mean-spirited films I've ever seen with a serious nasty streak through it. The dialogue isn't as witty as it thinks it is either - it comes across as a bit try-hard - and the plot has hardly any direction at all. It's like a film that was written and directed by David Brent.


...

Deary me.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Johnny Jalfrezi
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Where-ford? Here-ford!

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Johnny Jalfrezi » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:35 am

Tafdolphin wrote:
Johnny Jalfrezi wrote:Three Billboards etc 3/10

It's objectively a well-made film with some decent performances (though I don't get why everyone is going overboard about Frances McDormand's performance - it's far from a demanding role), but I found it to be one of the most mean-spirited films I've ever seen with a serious nasty streak through it. The dialogue isn't as witty as it thinks it is either - it comes across as a bit try-hard - and the plot has hardly any direction at all. It's like a film that was written and directed by David Brent.


...

Deary me.


Uh-oh. Looks like my opinion was wrong again...!

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Tafdolphin » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:48 am

Johnny Jalfrezi wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:
Johnny Jalfrezi wrote:Three Billboards etc 3/10

It's objectively a well-made film with some decent performances (though I don't get why everyone is going overboard about Frances McDormand's performance - it's far from a demanding role), but I found it to be one of the most mean-spirited films I've ever seen with a serious nasty streak through it. The dialogue isn't as witty as it thinks it is either - it comes across as a bit try-hard - and the plot has hardly any direction at all. It's like a film that was written and directed by David Brent.


...

Deary me.


Uh-oh. Looks like my opinion was wrong again...!


Your opinion is your opinion, but using phrases like "try hard" "far from demanding" and "David Brent" around this film is just... mystifying to me. It's like someone telling you that blue is actually red or 2+2= potted shrimp. I'm glad you went to see it, it seems to have done well which, fingers crossed means more similar scripts will be picked up, and I suppose it's always good to see alternative readings to one's own but still.

(I partially agree with your nasty streak comments, but I think this gets resolved more than satisfactorily by the conclusion (which is excellently understated)).

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
floydfreak
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by floydfreak » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:11 pm

Blade Runner 2049 - well that was 2 hours 36 mins of boring visually it was good but it felt far to dragged out could of made it a 2 hour film. 4/10

Poncho wrote:
BobbyDigital wrote:I wanna move out of the UK (to L.A. or somewhere similar in the USA) but don't know how to really.


A plane, Bobby. It's like a big metal bird.
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Moggy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:10 am

Thor: Ragnarok - 9/10

Easily my favourite Marvel film since Guardians of the Galaxy (which it was tonally similar to). Very funny and it had Goldblum in, which is always a winner.

It misses out on top marks as the Asgard scenes let it down somewhat.

User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Death's Head » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:36 am

Free Fire. 1 hour and 25 minutes of people in a warehouse with guns trying to kill each other incompetently, backed up by no story.6

Yes?
User avatar
Suffocate Peon
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Arv

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Suffocate Peon » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:15 am

Tafdolphin wrote:
Johnny Jalfrezi wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:
Johnny Jalfrezi wrote:Three Billboards etc 3/10

It's objectively a well-made film with some decent performances (though I don't get why everyone is going overboard about Frances McDormand's performance - it's far from a demanding role), but I found it to be one of the most mean-spirited films I've ever seen with a serious nasty streak through it. The dialogue isn't as witty as it thinks it is either - it comes across as a bit try-hard - and the plot has hardly any direction at all. It's like a film that was written and directed by David Brent.


...

Deary me.


Uh-oh. Looks like my opinion was wrong again...!


Your opinion is your opinion, but using phrases like "try hard" "far from demanding" and "David Brent" around this film is just... mystifying to me. It's like someone telling you that blue is actually red or 2+2= potted shrimp.


The worst one of these for me was reading Final Fight is better than Streets of Rage 2, which was deemed average etc. At that I was--no. NO.

Mute - 2/10

User avatar
more heat than light
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Leicestershire

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by more heat than light » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:25 am

floydfreak wrote:Blade Runner 2049 - well that was 2 hours 36 mins of boring visually it was good but it felt far to dragged out could of made it a 2 hour film. 4/10


Johnny Jalfrezi wrote:Uh-oh. Looks like my opinion was wrong again...!

jawafour wrote:You definitely have the biggest one, mhtl - it's strawberry-floatin' massive!
User avatar
Floex
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Floex » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:28 am

:lol:

User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Oblomov Boblomov » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:52 pm

Three Billboards

strawberry float me, I thought this was absolutely brilliant. My expectations had been lowered following a few comments in here. An excellent film that I hope does very well at the Oscars.

Image
User avatar
Vermilion
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Vermilion » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:34 pm

It Follows - 8/10

Great horror movie, the constant menace worked really well.


Return to “Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests