Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Tomous » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:43 am

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:Get Out

Still really like this on the second watch.

One thing I'm not sure about though:

Why do they have the main guy stumble upon photos of the girl with all of the other black people? A) it ruins the twist and B) it makes it odd that he then still seems to trust her when he's trying to leave :?.


Isn't him finding the photos part of the twist being revealed + isn't he just pretending to trust her so he can...well, get out?

User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Oblomov Boblomov » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:20 am

Tomous wrote:
Oblomov Boblomov wrote:Get Out

Still really like this on the second watch.

One thing I'm not sure about though:

Why do they have the main guy stumble upon photos of the girl with all of the other black people? A) it ruins the twist and B) it makes it odd that he then still seems to trust her when he's trying to leave :?.


Isn't him finding the photos part of the twist being revealed + isn't he just pretending to trust her so he can...well, get out?

It certainly is part of the twist being revealed, in a much less satisfying way than when she finally flashes the keys, by which point we've already figured her out, because of the crappy photos.

After he's seen them and along with everything else he's witnessed,
I don't understand why he would think he has any chance of getting out by pretending to trust her. He should have knocked her out the minute he saw those photos, grabbed the keys himself and legged it out of there.

Alternatively, they could have just shown the photos after the standoff in the hall, which would have been much more dramatic if we the audience were still not totally sure which side the girl is on.

Image
BOR
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by BOR » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:56 am

Return_of_the_STAR wrote:Kong: skull island - 8/10. Much better than I expected, really enjoyed it. I liked the various homages to Vietnam war films as well.

Agreed. I watched it last night and I enjoyed it.

"The job is done, and the bitch is dead."
User avatar
Johnny Jalfrezi
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Where-ford? Here-ford!

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Johnny Jalfrezi » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:02 am

Godzilla wrote:The Void - 2016 - 9/10

Lovely 80s John Carpenter style horror movie. Well worth picking up. Best small horror movie I've seen for ages.


In 42 years, I've never been as drunk as you must have been when you made this post.

User avatar
Tragic Magic
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Leicester
Contact:

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Tragic Magic » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:43 am

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:
Tomous wrote:
Oblomov Boblomov wrote:Get Out

Still really like this on the second watch.

One thing I'm not sure about though:

Why do they have the main guy stumble upon photos of the girl with all of the other black people? A) it ruins the twist and B) it makes it odd that he then still seems to trust her when he's trying to leave :?.


Isn't him finding the photos part of the twist being revealed + isn't he just pretending to trust her so he can...well, get out?

It certainly is part of the twist being revealed, in a much less satisfying way than when she finally flashes the keys, by which point we've already figured her out, because of the crappy photos.

After he's seen them and along with everything else he's witnessed,
I don't understand why he would think he has any chance of getting out by pretending to trust her. He should have knocked her out the minute he saw those photos, grabbed the keys himself and legged it out of there.

Alternatively, they could have just shown the photos after the standoff in the hall, which would have been much more dramatic if we the audience were still not totally sure which side the girl is on.


I don't agree on your point about the photos but I do agree that he should have knocked her out. She was kneeling down and he could have quite easily smashed her nose with his knee and kicked her in the head.

User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Death's Head » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:53 am

Tragic Magic wrote:
Oblomov Boblomov wrote:
Tomous wrote:
Oblomov Boblomov wrote:Get Out

Still really like this on the second watch.

One thing I'm not sure about though:

Why do they have the main guy stumble upon photos of the girl with all of the other black people? A) it ruins the twist and B) it makes it odd that he then still seems to trust her when he's trying to leave :?.


Isn't him finding the photos part of the twist being revealed + isn't he just pretending to trust her so he can...well, get out?

It certainly is part of the twist being revealed, in a much less satisfying way than when she finally flashes the keys, by which point we've already figured her out, because of the crappy photos.

After he's seen them and along with everything else he's witnessed,
I don't understand why he would think he has any chance of getting out by pretending to trust her. He should have knocked her out the minute he saw those photos, grabbed the keys himself and legged it out of there.

Alternatively, they could have just shown the photos after the standoff in the hall, which would have been much more dramatic if we the audience were still not totally sure which side the girl is on.


I don't agree on your point about the photos but I do agree that he should have knocked her out. She was kneeling down and he could have quite easily smashed her nose with his knee and kicked her in the head.


I think the point of him finding the photos was not to ruin a twist but to give a "I'm strawberry floated" moment. I think he was supposed to find the photos - the door was ajar and there was a nice red box in clear view. When the girlfriend finally finds the keys she says something like "you know you can't leave" which suggests they were expecting him to know his situation and that he was supposed to find the photos.

Yes?
User avatar
Floex
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Floex » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:54 pm

Johnny Jalfrezi wrote:
Godzilla wrote:The Void - 2016 - 9/10

Lovely 80s John Carpenter style horror movie. Well worth picking up. Best small horror movie I've seen for ages.


In 42 years, I've never been as drunk as you must have been when you made this post.



:lol: :lol:

User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Rex Kramer » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:16 pm

Coco - not sure on this one. Visually it's incredible, a step up even from other Pixar stuff. It may even get me to buy a UHD player and pick up the disk. Storywise it's very good but I think it misses the mark as a children's film.

Image
Current castaway: Rax can be found here. All the previous contributors can be found here.
Tackling the pile of shame part 2 - http://grview.grcade.co.uk/articles/the-7-commandments-of-tackling-the-pile-of-shame/
JediDragon05
Member
Joined in 2010
Location: The Grcade asylum

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by JediDragon05 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:09 pm

The hitmans bodyguard aka mummy strawberry floater : The Film

3/5

User avatar
Hank Scorpio
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Hank Scorpio » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:21 am

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - 9/10

Absolutely loved it, some great humour and story.

20 times, 20 times, Man United...
User avatar
Skarjo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Skarjo » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:00 am

Johnny Jalfrezi wrote:
Godzilla wrote:The Void - 2016 - 9/10

Lovely 80s John Carpenter style horror movie. Well worth picking up. Best small horror movie I've seen for ages.


In 42 years, I've never been as drunk as you must have been when you made this post.


:lol:

The Void was decent though.

Blue Eyes wrote:No wonder I'm eating my balls instead of sweets.

Skarjo's Scary Stories...
User avatar
more heat than light
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Leicestershire

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by more heat than light » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:27 am

Logan.

It's a little bit too try-hard in its pursuit of being 'adult' (the profanity in particular is excessive to the point of being distracting) but this is still a hugely successful twist on the traditional comic book movie. Great performances by Jackman and Stewart add depth to a film that feels gritty and real, a million miles away from Avengers et al.

It's also a big two fingers up to the notion that more characters = better film. The movie only really loses its way with the appearance of the Lord Of The Flies kids at the end, although the less said about Stephen Merchant's Caliban (whos power seems to be the ability to be Stephen Merchant in makeup) the better. Still, I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I hope this is the direction people take comic book movies in the future.

8/10

jawafour wrote:You definitely have the biggest one, mhtl - it's strawberry-floatin' massive!
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Preezy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:35 am

more heat than light wrote:although the less said about Stephen Merchant's Caliban (whos power seems to be the ability to be Stephen Merchant in makeup) the better.

His power is going to Brazil to see the Rio Carnival but instead getting diarrhea and losing his glasses in the sea.

Image
User avatar
Godzilla
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Godzilla » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:25 pm

Godzilla part 1 - planet of Monsters - Netflix - 8/10

It takes a while to get going, but when it does its excellent. The biggest Godzilla ever seen and one of the best re designs of the character. Not as visually striking as 2016s Shin Godzilla but the sheer size makes up for that. An excellent set up to a very interesting new take on Godzilla. Can't wait to see where the trilogy takes things.

Wish my image sig would work
User avatar
smurphy
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: A Little Cocky Child
Location: Scotland

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by smurphy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:32 pm

Hostiles - 4/5

A western with Christian Bale and Ben Foster. Not much more you can ask for really. Way better than the director's last film (Black Mass), which I thought was pretty pants, though I'd maybe put that down at least partially to Johnny Depp. Perhaps not as good as Out of the Furnace, but I just love a good western so much.


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 58 guests