Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Tafdolphin » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:33 am

Squinty wrote:
Ord wrote:Dunkirk. 6/10
Cinematography was top notch, the sound was deafening ( I saw it in IMAX) but a it also felt cold and clinical and ultimately I felt detached from it all. The beach scenes was were I felt it the most. For those that have seen Dunkirk compare that to this one scene in Atonement (in the beaches). It's full of busyness and loads of human touches. Nolans film just had people lined up, standing in a queue. I know it's silly but it took me out of the film.


My mother went to see Dunkirk and she actually had the same complaint. She felt like it lacked that human touch and it was very cold and sterile looking.

She also had a complaint about the amount of people on the beach, but then I guess the movie was covering the last few days of a mass evacuation that lasted over a week. I don't think that one holds so much (pardon the wordplay) water.


The contrast between that scene and Dunkirk is startling, thanks for posting it. I mean it was clearly a stylistic choice from Nolan. He could have had the massed crowds and End of the World like chaos like Atonement, but he was obviously making a much more sober film. I do agree that it felt very sterile in places, everything was very clean and proper, but it doesn't make it any less of a fantastic film.
Goat wrote:Guy probably decided not to show up because he heard Taffy was a Cow-exploding fantasist mentalist.

Bloggy blog blog blog.
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Moggy » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:37 am

Rocsteady wrote:
SandyCoin wrote:
Knoyleo wrote:
Lotus wrote:I wasn't being serious. :fp:

I'm not fussed about seeing it anyway, but apparently it's racist because it only has white people in it. And the Guardian have to shoehorn Brexit into everything, hence the Brexit fantasy.

Do you have a link? I've Googled and can't find anything from the guardian calling the film racist.


https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/aug/01/indian-african-dunkirk-history-whitewash-attitudes

It's basically saying how there aren't enough members of the commonwealth in the movie i.e Indians. Also the French had African soldiers but they weren't apparently shown in the film. I've not seen it yet (going tomorrow or Thursday) but for some reason started reading the article. I swear I've seen the word "whitewash" more times in the last year than ever in my life.

Read that earlier, totally stupid article.


It's a poor article, but it does have a point. It's very rare to see black or Asian faces in European set WW2 movies/games, but there were lots of non-whites fighting for the Allies.
User avatar
BID0
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Essex

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by BID0 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:47 am

Yeh the beach seemed pretty empty throughout the movie. I never really got a sense that they were surrounded either.

I watched it in 4D and the opening section was pretty cool with bullets whizzing past your head and the plane sections feeling like you were in the cockpit, but otherwise it took me out of it I think so I'll have to rewatch it in 2D

It makes a change from superhero movies though
Image
[twitter] [instagram] [twitch] [last.fm]
RO > 4 > 5 > 6 > 3 >> 1 > 2 > 7
User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Gemini73 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:21 am

BID0 wrote:It makes a change from superhero movies though


Haven't seen Dunkirk as yet, but I agree completely with the above statement. Absolutely sick to the back teeth of superhero movies and related TV series, and I consider myself a fan. In fact I haven't bothered with the anything superhero related of recent. Last film I watched was Guardians 2 and I was bored out of my mind.

Too much of a good thing perhaps.
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Preezy » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:27 am

OH THAT REMINDS ME

Saw a trailer for Inhumans whilst waiting for Dunkirk to start - it looked absolutely terrible :lol: :lol:

Go away Marvel, you're too everywhere.
Image
User avatar
Blue Eyes
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Blue Eyes » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:38 am

It's very gratifying seeing other clearly very sensible people criticising Dunkirk.
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Hexx » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:46 pm

Preezy wrote:Saw a trailer for Inhumans whilst waiting for Dunkirk to start - it looked absolutely terrible :lol: :lol:


My favourite description is still that it looks like the porn parade of itself

Image

:dread:
User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Squinty » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:54 pm

Gemini73 wrote:
BID0 wrote:It makes a change from superhero movies though


Haven't seen Dunkirk as yet, but I agree completely with the above statement. Absolutely sick to the back teeth of superhero movies and related TV series, and I consider myself a fan. In fact I haven't bothered with the anything superhero related of recent. Last film I watched was Guardians 2 and I was bored out of my mind.

Too much of a good thing perhaps.


I'm not the only one. Wow. Anytime a Marvel movie trailer comes on in the cinema, my brain switches off.

I really liked the first Guardians of the Galaxy though. I had to be really pushed into watching it because I'm sick of those Avenger films.
User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Gemini73 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:55 pm

Squinty wrote:
Gemini73 wrote:
BID0 wrote:It makes a change from superhero movies though


Haven't seen Dunkirk as yet, but I agree completely with the above statement. Absolutely sick to the back teeth of superhero movies and related TV series, and I consider myself a fan. In fact I haven't bothered with the anything superhero related of recent. Last film I watched was Guardians 2 and I was bored out of my mind.

Too much of a good thing perhaps.


I'm not the only one. Wow. Anytime a Marvel movie trailer comes on in the cinema, my brain switches off.

I really liked the first Guardians of the Galaxy though. I had to be really pushed into watching it because I'm sick of those Avenger films.


The first Guardians was great, the second was more of the same except the story wasn't as good I thought. Yondu's tale was quite good though, and the one reason I kept watching other than having my eldest daughter with me at the time, (naturally she loved baby Groot). Had I been on my tod I probably would have upped and left about half way through.

I used to look forward to the up coming superhero films, but now there are so many out and due out I, like you, find myself switching off. Recently sold my collection of blu-ray hero films. They looked nice on the shelve, but I never felt compelled to watch any. They're all on TV all the bloody time anyway.
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Moggy » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:06 pm

Marvel only release 2 or 3 a year and Warner’s only 1 or 2. 8-10 hours or so of superhero movies over an entire year doesn’t sound that bad to me.

I can’t remember the last one I bothered to pay to see at the cinema though. ;)
User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Gemini73 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:26 pm

Moggy wrote:Marvel only release 2 or 3 a year and Warner’s only 1 or 2. 8-10 hours or so of superhero movies over an entire year doesn’t sound that bad to me.

I can’t remember the last one I bothered to pay to see at the cinema though. ;)


That's still too many I feel, plus it's pretty much every year. Then you factor in the slew of serials. Complete overkill.
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Moggy » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:29 pm

Gemini73 wrote:
Moggy wrote:Marvel only release 2 or 3 a year and Warner’s only 1 or 2. 8-10 hours or so of superhero movies over an entire year doesn’t sound that bad to me.

I can’t remember the last one I bothered to pay to see at the cinema though. ;)


That's still too many I feel, plus it's pretty much every year. Then you factor in the slew of serials. Complete overkill.


10 hours a year is too much? People spend longer than that every single weekend just watching football. :lol:
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Preezy » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:38 pm

It's not just the films themselves; it's all the hype, previews, sneak-peeks, interviews, tv-spots, behind-the-scenes, articles, teasers, adverts, Happy Meal toys, press releases, comicon guff etc etc. It's too much.
Image
User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Gemini73 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:38 pm

Moggy wrote:
Gemini73 wrote:
Moggy wrote:Marvel only release 2 or 3 a year and Warner’s only 1 or 2. 8-10 hours or so of superhero movies over an entire year doesn’t sound that bad to me.

I can’t remember the last one I bothered to pay to see at the cinema though. ;)


That's still too many I feel, plus it's pretty much every year. Then you factor in the slew of serials. Complete overkill.


10 hours a year is too much? People spend longer than that every single weekend just watching football. :lol:


I think you're purposely missing the point. Several superhero movies a year steals away the excitement and it just becomes a situation of "oh, it's another of those movies. Yawn*.

I like Star Wars as well, but I wouldn't want several films a year about it.

I don't watch football either. Tedious sport.
User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Gemini73 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:40 pm

[vine][/vine]
Preezy wrote:It's not just the films themselves; it's all the hype, previews, sneak-peeks, interviews, tv-spots, behind-the-scenes, articles, teasers, adverts, Happy Meal toys, press releases, comicon guff etc etc. It's too much.


Yep. Complete overkill. Killed it stone dead for me.
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Preezy » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:42 pm

Gemini73 wrote:I think you're purposely missing the point. Several superhero movies a year steals away the excitement and it just becomes a situation of "oh, it's another of those movies. Yawn*.

I like Star Wars as well, but I wouldn't want several films a year about it.

I agree with all of that, I think me and you can be frien-

Gemini73 wrote:I don't watch football either. Tedious sport.

Image
Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Moggy » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:44 pm

Gemini73 wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Gemini73 wrote:
Moggy wrote:Marvel only release 2 or 3 a year and Warner’s only 1 or 2. 8-10 hours or so of superhero movies over an entire year doesn’t sound that bad to me.

I can’t remember the last one I bothered to pay to see at the cinema though. ;)


That's still too many I feel, plus it's pretty much every year. Then you factor in the slew of serials. Complete overkill.


10 hours a year is too much? People spend longer than that every single weekend just watching football. :lol:


I think you're purposely missing the point. Several superhero movies a year steals away the excitement and it just becomes a situation of "oh, it's another of those movies. Yawn*.

I like Star Wars as well, but I wouldn't want several films a year about it.

I don't watch football either. Tedious sport.


I’m not purposely missing the point, I just don’t think releasing a movie every 3 or 4 months is a big issue. Eastenders is on 4 or 5 times a week, there are far more Dot Cottons per year than Iron Mans.

If you don’t like it then fair enough, you don’t have to watch them.
User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Gemini73 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:00 pm

No I don't have to watch them, so I don't based on reasons above - which were originally in reply to Bido.

I also understand that millions of fans can't get enough of this stuff, and that's cool too.
User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Squinty » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:52 pm

Now if Dot Cotton was Iron man, I think I could get behind these movies.
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Moggy » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:56 pm

Squinty wrote:Now if Dot Cotton was Iron man, I think I could get behind these movies.


I think you will find that it is impossible to change the sex of a fictional character.

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 50 guests