Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut

Our best bits.
User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Corazon de Leon » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:36 pm

They Live - 9/10. It's God tier B-movie stuff, I loved every second of it. Roddy Piper and Keith David's fight scene was sublime.

Image Image
Ste
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: ScouseStevmed
Contact:

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Ste » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:53 pm

I really like Temple of Doom (first film I saw in the Cinema, they still had breaks half way through), nearly as much as Raiders.

I've watched both of them now and then over the last 10/15 years but not Last Crusade during that time as last time I watched it I thought it was too light/fun. Might watch it again tonight.

User avatar
Poser
Banned
Joined in 2008
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Poser » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:55 pm

It's the female lead in Temple. She's borderline unwatchable. The endless shrieking. :fp:

Image
User avatar
jamcc
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by jamcc » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:41 pm

So I had a couple of long-haul flights recently. Here's what I watched:

Arrival - 8/10

Not 100% sure what score to give this one. I enjoyed it and liked the alternative focus to the scenario of an alien invasion but can't really remember what happened right at the end which isn't a good sign!

Manchester By The Sea - 7/10

Fairly depressing film, but with a powerful story and an excellent performance fromCasey Affleck.

Don't Breathe - 8.5/10

Preezy wrote:Don't Breathe - 8/10

Really decent "horror" flick (no ghosts or paranormal gooseberry fool though). Stephen Lang is a badass.


Agree. This was a real surprise. Exhilarating throughout; the best horror(-ish) film I've seen in ages. The main baddie (Stephen Lang) was creepy as strawberry float.

The Girl on The Train - 6.5/10

Entertaining stuff but I felt the way the 'twist' was revealed wasn't a little weak.

User avatar
satriales
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by satriales » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:00 pm

I didn't really like Don't Breathe, it was just a bit too dumb. A similar but better recent film IMO would be Hush.

User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Ironhide » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:55 pm

Moggy wrote:I'd go with:

Raiders of the Lost Ark - 10
Temple Of Doom - 6
Last Crusade - 9
Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull - 3


I've never actually fully watched Last Crusade despite owning the Indy trilogy on DVD for nearly 15 years .

:fp:

Image
User avatar
floydfreak
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by floydfreak » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:07 pm

Corazon de Leon wrote:They Live - 9/10. It's God tier B-movie stuff, I loved every second of it. Roddy Piper and Keith David's fight scene was sublime.


One of John Carpenters best films

Poncho wrote:
BobbyDigital wrote:I wanna move out of the UK (to L.A. or somewhere similar in the USA) but don't know how to really.


A plane, Bobby. It's like a big metal bird.
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Tomous » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:52 pm

Poser wrote:It's the female lead in Temple. She's borderline unwatchable. The endless shrieking. :fp:


If you ever wanted to hold up an example of a sexist female lead, using the damsel in distress trope, she's the ultimate example.

Incredibly annoying.

User avatar
floydfreak
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by floydfreak » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:03 pm

Big Trouble in Little China 9/10

Poncho wrote:
BobbyDigital wrote:I wanna move out of the UK (to L.A. or somewhere similar in the USA) but don't know how to really.


A plane, Bobby. It's like a big metal bird.
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Ironhide » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:32 pm

Tomous wrote:
Poser wrote:It's the female lead in Temple. She's borderline unwatchable. The endless shrieking. :fp:


If you ever wanted to hold up an example of a sexist female lead, using the damsel in distress trope, she's the ultimate example.

Incredibly annoying.


I don't actually think that's especially sexist, there's loads of people, both men and women who would be just as useless and whiny when taken outside their comfort zone and I suspect that is the idea with the character in the film not 'women are useless idiots lol'.

Image
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Tomous » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:16 pm

Ironhide wrote:
Tomous wrote:
Poser wrote:It's the female lead in Temple. She's borderline unwatchable. The endless shrieking. :fp:


If you ever wanted to hold up an example of a sexist female lead, using the damsel in distress trope, she's the ultimate example.

Incredibly annoying.


I don't actually think that's especially sexist, there's loads of people, both men and women who would be just as useless and whiny when taken outside their comfort zone and I suspect that is the idea with the character in the film not 'women are useless idiots lol'.


Well whatever their idea or intention was, they completely play up to a damaging stereotype and the way it comes across is "women are useless idiots who only care about breaking their nails and shiny jewellery".

There's a difference between having a character out of their comfort zone and the stereotypical dumb blonde they present. Her opening scene shows her desperately trying to get hold of a diamond instead of helping Indy get the antidote for the posion he's had injected.

It's a shame because Raider's Marion Ravenwood was a great character. It's interesting Lucas and Spielberg were both going through a divorce at the time of Temple of Doom though...

User avatar
Poser
Banned
Joined in 2008
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Poser » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:32 am

Tomous wrote:
Ironhide wrote:
Tomous wrote:
Poser wrote:It's the female lead in Temple. She's borderline unwatchable. The endless shrieking. :fp:


If you ever wanted to hold up an example of a sexist female lead, using the damsel in distress trope, she's the ultimate example.

Incredibly annoying.


I don't actually think that's especially sexist, there's loads of people, both men and women who would be just as useless and whiny when taken outside their comfort zone and I suspect that is the idea with the character in the film not 'women are useless idiots lol'.


Well whatever their idea or intention was, they completely play up to a damaging stereotype and the way it comes across is "women are useless idiots who only care about breaking their nails and shiny jewellery".

There's a difference between having a character out of their comfort zone and the stereotypical dumb blonde they present. Her opening scene shows her desperately trying to get hold of a diamond instead of helping Indy get the antidote for the posion he's had injected.

It's a shame because Raider's Marion Ravenwood was a great character. It's interesting Lucas and Spielberg were both going through a divorce at the time of Temple of Doom though...


FWIW, I agree with Tomous, I think it's an incredibly sexist character, whether intentional or not. Ironhide is right, she was taken out of her comfort zone, as emphasised by where she and Indy met, but it's a very 80s take on things.

Image
User avatar
TigaSefi
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by TigaSefi » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:21 am

Logan :

Holy gooseberry fool balls it is amazing. Not as good as Nolan's Batman trilogy but damn strawberry floating close. Laura is great too. Pacing was really good and so violent and sweary. I thought I gone back to the 80's here.

Image

1 > 2 > 3 >>>>>>> 4 >>>>> 5
User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Oblomov Boblomov » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:29 am

Was the pacing reeaally that good?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the film a lot, but pacing would be one of the few issues I did have with it.

Image
User avatar
TigaSefi
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by TigaSefi » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:15 am

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:Was the pacing reeaally that good?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the film a lot, but pacing would be one of the few issues I did have with it.


I usually give up on films/tv series that have gooseberry fool pacing and at no point I ever thought "get on with it". The whole running time just flew by.

Image

1 > 2 > 3 >>>>>>> 4 >>>>> 5
User avatar
Frank
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Frank » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:05 am

Beauty and the Beast (2017)

I mean, it's a live-action Disney film so you kind of know what to expect. Production values are through the roof, the soundtrack just leaves you wanting the original (even Josh Gad as Le Fou left me disappointed after the Gaston song in the bar), and there's pointless padding to the plot (did anyone ever watch the original and think "hey, where's Belle's mom in all this?") They even try and explain why the Beast is so grumpy but there's two lines from Mrs Potts and it's never mentioned again (tl;dr - Daddy Issues). Like they knew that actually, no-one cares. It happens with a few of the new plot strands they've added in, like the homeless woman in town actually being the Enchantress or whatever at the end.

I still don't understand why they wrote more original songs when it was a Broadway musical so there's already songs out there. The lack of Human Again was a disappointment, too.

There's something really weird about the mix when Emma Watson sings. It's quite obviously not being sung live but I'm not sure why it's so obvious.

I think the biggest misstep is the casting. I don't buy Emma Watson as Belle. I never look at her and think "yeah, she's a bookish beautiful french girl", I think "oh hey it's Hermione why does she always have that weird smug resting face" I don't understand why they got a Scottish guy to play a French Candlestick, either. He does a decent job of it, but it feels like a strange choice.

Replacing the stained glass window introduction from the original with some goofy prologue was a dreadful idea too. Sometimes less is more.

It's like a 5/10. Better than Maleficent but nowhere near as nice as Cinderella was.

Image
User avatar
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by No:1 Final Fantasy Fan » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:29 pm

Logan 6/10
Good brutal action but the story was a total let down.

Get Out 8/10
Decent horror thriller. Liked the freaky music and creepy acting and how they combined a bit of comedy into it too.

User avatar
FatDaz
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by FatDaz » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:50 pm

No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote:Logan 6/10
Good brutal action but the story was a total let down.


How so?

I thought it was a great story with a lovely arc for both Logan and Charles.

User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Tomous » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:41 pm

The Legend of Tarzan - 2/10

I should have looked up how this reviewed before watching because it was awful.

The story is, for the majority of the film dull, before turning stupid. It's predictable, plods along and never full engages you.

The CGI, which is vital for a for a film like this in this day and age, already looks dated.

Margot Robbie is bright enough and Alexander Skarsgard embraces the role at least. Christoph Waltz is completely underused though and I can't help but feel Samuel L Jackson is wheeled along because they were conscious of it looking too "white man comes to save the savages". Which it did.

Afterwards, you're left with the feeling that Tarzan is probably a hero that cinema needs to put to bed now.

User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Tomous » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:50 pm

Passengers - 3/10

Well they strawberry floated this up didn't they? A fresh premise, two of hollywoods current most bankable stars, decent supporting cast (Michael Sheen is always great isn't he?) and all the CGI they could need. And they came up with a boring, creepy "romantic" story that once again, has Hollywood suggesting you can manipulate people and do strawberry floated up gooseberry fool to them in the name of love. Throw in some daft sci-fi and there's not a lot redemning this.

Last edited by Tomous on Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests