Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut

Our best bits.
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by jawafour » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:05 am

Image

Duel (1971) - I hadn't seen this for a long time and it was a treat to sit down and experience it again. I love the sprawling American landscapes and the menacing filming; they combine to deliver great atmosphere. The wonderful use of mystery in terms of never seeing the mysterious truck's driver is excellent and Dennis Weaver plays the mild, down-trodden salesman tremendously well. A short but enthralling journey. 7/10.

User avatar
Floex
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Floex » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:54 pm

Return_of_the_STAR wrote:
Floex wrote:I, Tonya 9/10

Still thinking about this film two weeks later. Superb cast, fascinating story. Margot Robbie is a revelation.

Ready Player One 6/10 (4DX 7/10)

The whole movie felt soulless to me, there was nothing iconic about it, a drab blue overlay meant nothing really popped. The characters were bland, a story that was just insane. Seeing how the film is supposedly better than the book, Christ the book must have been guff. A few highlights, without saying too much the hotel scenes was by far the highlight.

First time trying 4DX too. Felt like the perfect film to try seeing as was pretty much a video game. The seats crashed around, moving with the images, water sprayed, air gushed underneath your legs. Fun experience but very distracting from the film itself


I've never tried 4DX as i felt that it would be distracting as well. Would you bother doing it again or was it not worth it.

For the record i quite enjoyed Ready Player One. I agree about the characters, the development felt like you would expect from a Transformers movie.


I’d say definitely try it once, I wouldn’t go again personally but for a film like Ready Player One it suited it perfectly. But yes, it is distracting so maybe try it with a film you’re not going to be too invested in.

User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Gemini73 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:21 pm

Hacksaw Ridge

Not my favourite war movie, but powerful and quite moving.

8/10

Last edited by Gemini73 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here".
User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Gemini73 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:12 am

Mad Max: Fury Road

Some very good action scenes

6/10

“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here".
User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Gemini73 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:19 am

jawafour wrote:Image

Duel (1971) - I hadn't seen this for a long time and it was a treat to sit down and experience it again. I love the sprawling American landscapes and the menacing filming; they combine to deliver great atmosphere. The wonderful use of mystery in terms of never seeing the mysterious truck's driver is excellent and Dennis Weaver plays the mild, down-trodden salesman tremendously well. A short but enthralling journey. 7/10.


Did you know that Spielberg re-used the sound of the truck going over the cliff at the end of the film in Jaws? After Chief Brody kills the shark and it slowly sinks beneath the sea that's when you'll hear it.

“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here".
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by jawafour » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:28 am

Gemini73 wrote:(re: Duel) Did you know that Spielberg re-used the sound of the truck going over the cliff at the end of the film in Jaws? After Chief Brody kills the shark and it slowly sinks beneath the sea that's when you'll hear it.

I didn't know that! It's a neat fact, Gemini, and I'll listen out if I watch Jaws again :-) .

User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Gemini73 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:36 am

jawafour wrote:
Gemini73 wrote:(re: Duel) Did you know that Spielberg re-used the sound of the truck going over the cliff at the end of the film in Jaws? After Chief Brody kills the shark and it slowly sinks beneath the sea that's when you'll hear it.

I didn't know that! It's a neat fact, Gemini, and I'll listen out if I watch Jaws again :-) .


Yeah it is neat. Found out it about on the extras for the bluray release of Jaws.

Spielberg is a legend.

“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here".
User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Brerlappin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:40 pm

Gemini73 wrote:Mad Max: Fury Road

Some very good action scenes

6/10


I know some people will rip you to shreds for that score, but id agree with it. I really failed to get the hype behind Fury road. I thought it was alright, not bad but didnt blow me away either, but all i heard at the time was BEST MOVIE EVER, which completely baffled me.

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Preezy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:41 pm

Fury Road isn't even the best Mad Max movie.

Road Warrior supremacy for life :datass: :datass:

User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Corazon de Leon » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:47 pm

Saw the new Jumanji last night and thought it was absolutely great. Very Breakfast-Clubby, but you could tell all the adult cast were having a great time. I can see why it’s made so much money.

8/10 from me.

Image Image
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Tafdolphin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:54 pm

I am refraining, refraining so strawberry floating hard, from commenting on the Fury Road comments on this mummy strawberry floater of a page.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Gemini73 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:00 pm

Preezy wrote:Fury Road isn't even the best Mad Max movie.

Road Warrior supremacy for life :datass: :datass:


This.

“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here".
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Preezy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:20 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:I am refraining, refraining so strawberry floating hard, from commenting on the Fury Road comments on this mummy strawberry floater of a page.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great film, but it's no Road Warrior.

User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by jawafour » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:27 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:I am refraining, refraining so strawberry floating hard, from commenting on the Fury Road comments on this mummy strawberry floater of a page.

[Pops into thread]
[Carnage and wrong-ness]
[Makes mental note that Taf is absolutely correct]
[Leaves thread]

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Preezy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:29 pm

jawafour wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:I am refraining, refraining so strawberry floating hard, from commenting on the Fury Road comments on this mummy strawberry floater of a page.

[Pops into thread]
[Carnage and wrong-ness]
[Makes mental note that Taf is absolutely correct]
[Leaves thread]

Be still my dog of war. I understand your pain. We've all got an opinion wrong. But we do it my way!

User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Ironhide » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:06 pm

Fury Road is not as great as the rave reviews suggest and I don't think a 7/10 score is that far off the mark, although personally I'd give it an 8 as I love post apocalyptic action films.

Image
User avatar
Pedz
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Pedz » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:07 pm

Ironhide wrote:Fury Road is not as great as the rave reviews suggest and I don't think a 7/10 score is that far off the mark, although personally I'd give it an 8 as I love post apocalyptic action films.


I gave it an 8 and was told I was wrong.

ImageImageImageImage.
Image
User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Northampton

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Return_of_the_STAR » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:18 pm

Rampage 7.5 out of 10. Really enjoyable popcorn movie with some good humour in it.

Image

GRAPL Heavyweight Champion 2010, Runner Up 2017, tag team Champion 2011, 2015, Wrestlemania PPV Winner 2012 and your current all time highest GRAPL points scorer.
Fixture feeling champion 2013.

I'm a Paul Heyman guy!
User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Gemini73 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:26 pm

Brerlappin wrote:
Gemini73 wrote:Mad Max: Fury Road

Some very good action scenes

6/10


I know some people will rip you to shreds for that score, but id agree with it. I really failed to get the hype behind Fury road. I thought it was alright, not bad but didnt blow me away either, but all i heard at the time was BEST MOVIE EVER, which completely baffled me.


Never took much notice of any hype around the movie release and I'd completely forgotten about it until it popped up on my Netflix page.

Liked I said, some very good action scenes but on the whole pretty average and quite forgettable. Certainly not something I'd go out of my way to watch again.

Last edited by Gemini73 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here".
JediDragon05
Member
Joined in 2010
Location: The Grcade asylum

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by JediDragon05 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:26 pm

A Quiet Place

I’m going to rate this a monster, monster , monster , monster, monster out of 5.

Been a long time since a film made me feel on edge, (the last was The Descent)


Non top relentless terror.

Come fight death with me

Return to “Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests