Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut

Our best bits.
User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Hime » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:47 pm

Logan

strawberry floating loved it. The second act dragged a little but overall it was just what I hoped it would be. It did feel like a bit of a spin off but comics do that sort of thing all the time don't they.

As much as I enjoy the MCU it makes me sad that we probably won't see another gritty Marvel superhero film now.

Image
User avatar
Minoru
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Minoru » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:02 pm

Hime wrote:I didn't enjoy Iron Man 3 or Avengers 2 but Captain America 2&3, Guardians 1&2 and Ant Man were great while Doctor Strange was pretty good. I haven't seen Homecoming or Thor 3 yet but I'm fully aboard the Infinity War hype train now I'm getting back into the Marvel films.

Actually yeah, CW was pretty good. I think they could've done more with it if the personal stake between the Avengers had been established better, but that's more the fault of previous movies than CW itself. I wasn't really a fan of Cap 2, but I know most people like it a lot so I guess that's just me. Guardians 1 and Antman were just okay to me, nothing too impressive, but not boring or bad by any means. Haven’t seen Guardian’s 2 or Doc Strange yet.

Homecoming was actually good, that one I'd recommend, best Spidey film in a long time. A lot of people love Thor 3 too. I thought it tried too hard to be funny and missed the mark a lot for me, but I guess that one's down to personal preference, so it's probably worth checking out.


Hime wrote:Logan

strawberry floating loved it. The second act dragged a little but overall it was just what I hoped it would be. It did feel like a bit of a spin off but comics do that sort of thing all the time don't they.

As much as I enjoy the MCU it makes me sad that we probably won't see another gritty Marvel superhero film now.

Oh god yeah, Logan was amazing. Probably my favourite superhero film I've seen. I loved every minute of it TBH, but I'm a little biased because it was very much my kind of grim.

I do hope Marvel understand that there's an appeal for more mature superhero movies and let them be made but, yeah, it is a little worrying that there may not be room for films like Logan in the future.

Image
Image
User avatar
FudgeDiver
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by FudgeDiver » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:18 pm

star wars 4/10

it stinks
it stinks
it stinks

User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Hime » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:21 pm

Minoru wrote:
Hime wrote:I didn't enjoy Iron Man 3 or Avengers 2 but Captain America 2&3, Guardians 1&2 and Ant Man were great while Doctor Strange was pretty good. I haven't seen Homecoming or Thor 3 yet but I'm fully aboard the Infinity War hype train now I'm getting back into the Marvel films.

Actually yeah, CW was pretty good. I think they could've done more with it if the personal stake between the Avengers had been established better, but that's more the fault of previous movies than CW itself. I wasn't really a fan of Cap 2, but I know most people like it a lot so I guess that's just me. Guardians 1 and Antman were just okay to me, nothing too impressive, but not boring or bad by any means. Haven’t seen Guardian’s 2 or Doc Strange yet.

Homecoming was actually good, that one I'd recommend, best Spidey film in a long time. A lot of people love Thor 3 too. I thought it tried too hard to be funny and missed the mark a lot for me, but I guess that one's down to personal preference, so it's probably worth checking out.


Hime wrote:Logan

strawberry floating loved it. The second act dragged a little but overall it was just what I hoped it would be. It did feel like a bit of a spin off but comics do that sort of thing all the time don't they.

As much as I enjoy the MCU it makes me sad that we probably won't see another gritty Marvel superhero film now.

Oh god yeah, Logan was amazing. Probably my favourite superhero film I've seen. I loved every minute of it TBH, but I'm a little biased because it was very much my kind of grim.

I do hope Marvel understand that there's an appeal for more mature superhero movies and let them be made but, yeah, it is a little worrying that there may not be room for films like Logan in the future.

Actually I'd probably agree with you about GoTG and Ant Man, it's more that I was really disappointed with Avengers 2 and it killed my enthusiasm for the whole thing for a while. I really liked GoTG 2 and recommend you give that a try. Hopefully Thor 2 hits for me as I like the character but it's the constant one liners and comedy is thing I have issues with in the MCU.

Do you know if Logan was a box office success? I could see a crossover with people who like Deadpool which could keep the grim superhero film alive. Man, that ending was good, I love it when they let superheroes do cool superhero stuff but also manage to create a sense of danger.

Image
User avatar
Earfolds
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Evil Ted
Contact:

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Earfolds » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:22 pm

FudgeDiver wrote:star wars 4/10

it stinks
it stinks
it stinks

Yes, Mr. Sherman, everything stinks.

Image
User avatar
Minoru
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Minoru » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:35 pm

Hime wrote:Actually I'd probably agree with you about GoTG and Ant Man, it's more that I was really disappointed with Avengers 2 and it killed my enthusiasm for the whole thing for a while. I really liked GoTG 2 and recommend you give that a try. Hopefully Thor 2 hits for me as I like the character but it's the constant one liners and comedy is thing I have issues with in the MCU.

Do you know if Logan was a box office success? I could see a crossover with people who like Deadpool which could keep the grim superhero film alive. Man, that ending was good, I love it when they let superheroes do cool superhero stuff but also manage to create a sense of danger.

Yeah, AoU was a big let down, probably one of the poorest MCU films and that cut my enthusiasmy for MCU a bit too.

If you don't like the constant one liners, I don't think you'll like Thor 3 that much. It goes full out on them, almost everything becomes a joke even the more serious moments, and that was my biggest problem with it. A lot of people say they found it really hilarious, but personally a lot of the one liners felt really flat to me. It has a lot of good points, but the humour really irritated me.

I heard that for an R rated movie, Logan was a big success, but I'm not sure how that compares with MCU's usual family type fair. Another issue may be that by allowing a movie to go for a higher rating they'll be losing out on the money that comes with merchandise/toys and since Marvel’s all about the money they'll probably be reluctant to do that. I think it's a bit of a wait and see game at the moment, because Deadpool and Logan were obviously popular, but whether that's enough, who knows.

Image
Image
User avatar
FudgeDiver
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by FudgeDiver » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:38 pm

expecting any kind of quality from MCU is a fools endeavour, there's larger stakes in a strawberry floating cabbage patch

User avatar
smurphy
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: A Little Cocky Child
Location: Scotland

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by smurphy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:13 am

FudgeDiver wrote:there's larger stakes in a strawberry floating cabbage patch


:lol: I will be using this.

I'm all over the place when it comes to my opinion Marvel films. I go between thinking they are just utter dirge compared to actual quality films, and they make me annoyed at how low effort and lowest common denominator they are. Then I think of the DC films, and all the properly gooseberry fool horror film blockbusters that come out and then suddenly Marvel films don't look so bad. For how popular they are and how frequently they're released they are really solid entertainment.

User avatar
Minoru
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Minoru » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:19 am

I think MCU films are a bit like the movie version of easy reading, they're a safe bet for something entertaining but nothing ground-breaking, artistic or thought provoking. I'm invested enough in the characters and constantly disappointed enough with comics that I usually hope they'll do something really good with them in MCU, but those kinds of expectations are stupid.

Image
Image
User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Hime » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:12 am

Minoru wrote:I think MCU films are a bit like the movie version of easy reading, they're a safe bet for something entertaining but nothing ground-breaking, artistic or thought provoking. I'm invested enough in the characters and constantly disappointed enough with comics that I usually hope they'll do something really good with them in MCU, but those kinds of expectations are stupid.

I think you need to remind yourself how bad most super hero films were before the MCU so a constant stream of pretty good, entertaining films isn't that bad.

Image
User avatar
Minoru
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Minoru » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:32 am

Hime wrote:I think you need to remind yourself how bad most super hero films were before the MCU so a constant stream of pretty good, entertaining films isn't that bad.

Hah, true enough. I'm a Daredevil fan and that film was pretty dire. Even the poorer MCU stuff is a lot better than most of what came before it. I do really love IM1 and enjoy most of the others. I'm just more into comics I guess, and those have been something of a let down in recent years.

Even though I'm not a die hard MCU fan I'm pretty hyped for Captain Marvel since she's one of my favourite heroes and it's about time she got a film.

Image
Image
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Preezy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:49 am

Comic book movies peaked with Blade.

User avatar
Seven Posers Posing
Banned
Joined in 2008
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Seven Posers Posing » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:07 am

Mother!

I knew nothing about the film, and clearly had my stupid head on, because I failed to get what it was on about. It was a 5/10. Then as soon as I googled the meaning, it went up to a solid 7.5/10. I make no apologies for my stupidity.

It featured some of the darkest, most strawberry floated up things I've ever seen in a film. When you realise what the allegory represents, it becomes pretty devastating.

I might need to re-watch it with understanding.

Image
User avatar
Chestnut Snowleaves
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Leicestershire

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Chestnut Snowleaves » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:06 pm

The Accountant

Very slightly above-par thriller, which never seems to settle into any kind of satisfying rhythm and ends up a bit of a mess. Also featuring Ben Affleck pretending to be autistic, and the largest most ridiculous exposition dump I've ever seen. Still, it killed a couple of hours.

6/10

jawafour wrote:You definitely have the biggest one, mhtl - it's strawberry-floatin' massive!
User avatar
FudgeDiver
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by FudgeDiver » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:26 pm

Preezy wrote:Comic book movies peaked with Blade.


think you misspelled 'raimi spiderman' there, no need to thank me though pal

User avatar
Satan's Claws
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Kelty, scotland
Contact:

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Satan's Claws » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:27 pm

more heat than light wrote:The Accountant

Very slightly above-par thriller, which never seems to settle into any kind of satisfying rhythm and ends up a bit of a mess. Also featuring Ben Affleck PRETENDING to be autistic, and the largest most ridiculous exposition dump I've ever seen. Still, it killed a couple of hours.

6/10


Pretending :slol:

Rapidly-greying is SHITE at games
User avatar
Fabong
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Fabong » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:30 pm

I think the last film I watched was Star Wars 8: The Last Jedi and it was ruddy awful

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Preezy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:20 am

FudgeDiver wrote:
Preezy wrote:Comic book movies peaked with Blade.


think you misspelled 'raimi spiderman' there, no need to thank me though pal

Image

User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by jawafour » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:46 pm

Saw these with two of my nephews:

Maze Runner: The Death Cure - Teenage action romp with, I felt, surprisingly scary zombie moments for a 12A rated film. Pretty length too (over 2hrs 20 mins) but it kept my interest. 5/10

Black Panther - Great fun! Excellent characters and decent action. Really enjoyed it. As ever with Marvel films, watch the credits to see a few mins more - this time with an excellent message. 8/10

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating: The Directors Cut
by Preezy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:46 am

Kong: Skull Island - 7/10

It was alright, elevated by John C. Reilly’s performance and Brie Larson’s boobs.


Return to “Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests