Last film you watched and your rating

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Moggy » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:29 am

Squinty wrote:I thought 3 was shite. It was a complete mess.


3 is obviously nowhere near as good as the first two, but I think it’s harshly treated. It’s a decent movie, it just looks gooseberry fool compared to what came before it. The later films make 3 look like a masterpiece though. :lol:

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Preezy » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:39 am

When people say Alien3 "was a complete mess" - what do they mean exactly? It's not got any plotholes, it doesn't have nonsensical editing or story (it's actually a very simple story, much like Alien), all of the acting is earnest and believable, it's got Charles Dance in it! I know there was studio intervention and that never bodes well, but the film itself isn't this unwatchable mess that has drastic shifts in tone or vision like (for example) the Fantastic Four remake. It still works as a film.

I think people have an instant dislike because of how Newt and Hicks were treated, but that aspect really doesn't bother me at all. After the military-themed Aliens the series couldn't just repeat that, it had to go down a different route, and it certainly was different. Sure some of the special effects haven't aged that well, but you could level that at plenty of classic films, it doesn't detract from the overall product for me. Elliot Goldenthal's score is superb and adds to the gothic vibe of the film.

I dunno, maybe I'm defending it too much. I haven't watched it in a few years so will have to revisit it at some point soon. Maybe I'll watch the first 3 films on consecutive nights over a weekend when then wife and kids are tucked up in bed.

User avatar
Floex
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Floex » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:57 am

I’ve never gotten the mess statements either. The story is competent enough considering the mess it went through.

User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Drumstick » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:30 pm

Alien and Aliens are, as has been said, totally different films. The first is one of the greatest suspense films ever; Aliens is a direct contrast, with action ramping up like a crescendo until Ripley finally confronts the queen.

I look at Alien 3 similarly to how I view The Godfather Part III. When compared to its predecessors it pales into comparison against two truly excellent films and because of that the level of criticism they receive is (unfairly IMO) excessive. As stand alone entries into their respective series they are absolutely fine.

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Jenuall » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:53 pm

Both are fantastic. Alien is the better film in my opinion, but Aliens is the one I am more likely to want to re-watch at any point in time.

I'd still recommend watching Alien first, because why wouldn't you?

Also just noticed that only Aliens made it into out Top 100 Eliminator thread. I'm glad we managed to squeeze White Chicks in instead of one of the most immaculately produced horror/suspense films of all time! :fp: :lol:

ImageImage
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by OrangeRKN » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:04 pm

more heat than light wrote:I really like Alien 3 but it's definitely a bit of a mess and nowhere near as good as the other two. Resurrection is appalling as is Prometheus. Haven't seen the new one.


Fassbender is excellent in Covenant and it's worth seeing for his performance, but otherwise it has all the issues that plague the later Alien films, just to a lesser degree. I'd rather watch Covenant than Prometheus or Resurrection, but that's not saying too much.

User avatar
Skarjo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Skarjo » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:34 pm

Watched Mom and Dad earlier tonight.

It was alright, actually really fun in parts. Problem is it's going for the really silly over the top nonsense that the premise suggests, but it keeps pulling the punches with the horror. I get that the censors probably had an issue with the image of parents actually killing their kids, but it just robs the scenes of any impact. There's probably a much better Unrated cut out there somewhere where the camera doesn't cut away whenever things get juicy but the theatrical cut just feels a bit limp.

Blue Eyes wrote:No wonder I'm eating my balls instead of sweets.

Skarjo's Scary Stories...
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Preezy » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:36 pm

OrangeRKN wrote:Fassbender is excellent in Covenant and it's worth seeing for his performance

He's really good at the fingering.

User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Squinty » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:40 pm

Moggy wrote:
Squinty wrote:I thought 3 was shite. It was a complete mess.


3 is obviously nowhere near as good as the first two, but I think it’s harshly treated. It’s a decent movie, it just looks gooseberry fool compared to what came before it. The later films make 3 look like a masterpiece though. :lol:


I tried watching it the extended cut on Blu Ray last year and I couldn't stick it. I turned it off halfway through, and I went back to it a day after because I felt like I owed it to the film to finish it. It just didn't keep my attention.

Preezy mentioned the Hicks/Newt situation. That did really strawberry float me off. I had some issues with the tone of it, and the shift from Aliens (and Alien).

Maybe 'mess' was too strong a word. But it's not a movie I can appreciate, and I view it as the start of the decline. It's one of those films I just tend to not acknowledge.

User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by OrangeRKN » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:11 pm

Alien 3 is a good late night Film4 movie to have on in the semi-background

User avatar
Floex
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Floex » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:36 pm

OrangeRKN wrote:
more heat than light wrote:I really like Alien 3 but it's definitely a bit of a mess and nowhere near as good as the other two. Resurrection is appalling as is Prometheus. Haven't seen the new one.


Fassbender is excellent in Covenant and it's worth seeing for his performance, but otherwise it has all the issues that plague the later Alien films, just to a lesser degree. I'd rather watch Covenant than Prometheus or Resurrection, but that's not saying too much.


I threw up reading this post.

User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by OrangeRKN » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:43 pm

8-)

User avatar
Denster
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Denster » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:13 am

Jenuall wrote:Both are fantastic. Alien is the better film in my opinion, but Aliens is the one I am more likely to want to re-watch at any point in time.

I'd still recommend watching Alien first, because why wouldn't you?

Also just noticed that only Aliens made it into out Top 100 Eliminator thread. I'm glad we managed to squeeze White Chicks in instead of one of the most immaculately produced horror/suspense films of all time! :fp: :lol:

Hadn’t noticed that. Just assumed the greatest sci fi horror film of all time would be on there. Hang your strawberry floating heads in shame that it isn’t.

Jesus - I hate you all right now!

User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Corazon de Leon » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:36 am

Denster wrote:
Jenuall wrote:Both are fantastic. Alien is the better film in my opinion, but Aliens is the one I am more likely to want to re-watch at any point in time.

I'd still recommend watching Alien first, because why wouldn't you?

Also just noticed that only Aliens made it into out Top 100 Eliminator thread. I'm glad we managed to squeeze White Chicks in instead of one of the most immaculately produced horror/suspense films of all time! :fp: :lol:

Hadn’t noticed that. Just assumed the greatest sci fi horror film of all time would be on there. Hang your strawberry floating heads in shame that it isn’t.

Jesus - I hate you all right now!


This. I didn’t even see the nomination thread so I take no responsibility for that awful strawberry float up.

Also worth noting that someone thought White Chicks was a more appropriate movie to have on a top 100 list than The Good, The Bad and The Ugly or Godfather Part II.

Image Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Moggy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:36 am

Corazon de Leon wrote:
Denster wrote:
Jenuall wrote:Both are fantastic. Alien is the better film in my opinion, but Aliens is the one I am more likely to want to re-watch at any point in time.

I'd still recommend watching Alien first, because why wouldn't you?

Also just noticed that only Aliens made it into out Top 100 Eliminator thread. I'm glad we managed to squeeze White Chicks in instead of one of the most immaculately produced horror/suspense films of all time! :fp: :lol:

Hadn’t noticed that. Just assumed the greatest sci fi horror film of all time would be on there. Hang your strawberry floating heads in shame that it isn’t.

Jesus - I hate you all right now!


This. I didn’t even see the nomination thread so I take no responsibility for that awful strawberry float up.

Also worth noting that someone thought White Chicks was a more appropriate movie to have on a top 100 list than The Good, The Bad and The Ugly or Godfather Part II.


You two are as bad as people moaning about the government despite not voting. This is what happens when you ignore democracy! You two have made White Chicks a better film than Alien! Hang your heads in shame. :x

User avatar
Vermilion
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Vermilion » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:00 am

Corazon de Leon wrote:
Denster wrote:
Jenuall wrote:Both are fantastic. Alien is the better film in my opinion, but Aliens is the one I am more likely to want to re-watch at any point in time.

I'd still recommend watching Alien first, because why wouldn't you?

Also just noticed that only Aliens made it into out Top 100 Eliminator thread. I'm glad we managed to squeeze White Chicks in instead of one of the most immaculately produced horror/suspense films of all time! :fp: :lol:

Hadn’t noticed that. Just assumed the greatest sci fi horror film of all time would be on there. Hang your strawberry floating heads in shame that it isn’t.

Jesus - I hate you all right now!


This. I didn’t even see the nomination thread so I take no responsibility for that awful strawberry float up.

Also worth noting that someone thought White Chicks was a more appropriate movie to have on a top 100 list than The Good, The Bad and The Ugly or Godfather Part II.


You only have yourselves for blame for this, you should have nominated when you had the chance. ;)

User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Corazon de Leon » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:06 am

I’d like to point you both to the part of my post where I said I didn’t see the nomination thread. You can bet your sweet asses Alien would’ve been on there if I had. :lol:

Image Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Moggy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:08 am

Corazon de Leon wrote:I’d like to point you both to the part of my post where I said I didn’t see the nomination thread. You can bet your sweet asses Alien would’ve been on there if I had. :lol:


"oh I couldn't find the polling station and that's why we now live under the tyranny of Adolf Hitler's great grandson"

It's your fault Cora. All your fault.

User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Corazon de Leon » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:29 am

Moggy wrote:
Corazon de Leon wrote:I’d like to point you both to the part of my post where I said I didn’t see the nomination thread. You can bet your sweet asses Alien would’ve been on there if I had. :lol:


"oh I couldn't find the polling station and that's why we now live under the tyranny of Adolf Hitler's great grandson"

It's your fault Cora. All your fault.


Sorry :(

Image Image
User avatar
Denster
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last film you watched and your rating
by Denster » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:09 am

Brexit all over again.


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Garth, massimo, Pasta Disaster, Return_of_the_STAR, wensleydale and 72 guests