Last TV series you watched and your rating.

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Saint of Killers » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:12 am

Moggy wrote:
Saint of Killers wrote:
Moggy wrote:Preacher: Season 3 - 7.5/10

I loved the first season of Preacher but thought the second season had a bit of a lull in the middle. Season 3 was decent throughout, with some great scenes.


The Hell stuff saved s2 :lol:


Yeah, who would have thought Hitler would be one of the best characters? ;)


:lol: Him running off and Eugene just kind of... lost for words/what to do was the perfect end for their s2 arc.

| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
Jenu-All I Want For Christmas
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Jenu-All I Want For Christmas » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:21 pm

Chocolate-Milk wrote:Sex and the City - Season 3

Carrie Bradshaw is, without doubt, the most unlikable protagonist I have ever come across. I'd say she's the most irritating, neurotic, self-sabotaging sociopath since Ross in Friends, but at least Ross was funny.


Ugh, I had to endure a watch of Sex and the City a while back, Bradshaw (along with most of the other people in the show in all honesty) truly is a horrible human being.

Similarly if anyone has had to watch Gilmore Girls I would contest that Lorelei Gilmore gives Carrie a run for her money.

ImageImage
User avatar
Chestnut Snowleaves
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Leicestershire

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Chestnut Snowleaves » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:47 pm

This talk reminds me of the Mark Kermode review rant about Sex & The City 2.



:lol:

jawafour wrote:You definitely have the biggest one, mhtl - it's strawberry-floatin' massive!
User avatar
Snowy
Member
Joined in 2018
AKA: Akuma / Dormin
Location: Surrey, darling

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Snowy » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:52 pm

Jenuall wrote:Similarly if anyone has had to watch Gilmore Girls I would contest that Lorelei Gilmore gives Carrie a run for her money.


I was unemployed for a year about 10 years ago and Gilmore Girls tended to be on Channel 4 when I woke up. I never really had Lorelai down as a nasty character...I can get behind any hatred for Bradshaw as a character though.

User avatar
Jenu-All I Want For Christmas
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Jenu-All I Want For Christmas » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:00 pm

Sandy wrote:
Jenuall wrote:Similarly if anyone has had to watch Gilmore Girls I would contest that Lorelei Gilmore gives Carrie a run for her money.


I was unemployed for a year about 10 years ago and Gilmore Girls tended to be on Channel 4 when I woke up. I never really had Lorelai down as a nasty character...I can get behind any hatred for Bradshaw as a character though.


I'm probably being a bit harsh on Lorelai, she isn't quite in Bradshaw territory, but I do find her to be a fairly horrible person who seems to cause problems for herself and other people far more than she does anything useful. I find her incredibly whiny and ungrateful a lot of the time as well. Rory isn't much better either.

I don't think it is too uncommon an opinion either, the first two autocomplete options on google for "why lorelai" are:

* why lorelai gilmore is the worst
* why lorelai and rory are the worst

:lol:

ImageImage
User avatar
Chocolate-Milk
Member
Joined in 2015

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Chocolate-Milk » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:43 pm

Jenuall wrote:Similarly if anyone has had to watch Gilmore Girls I would contest that Lorelei Gilmore gives Carrie a run for her money.

Oh, absolutely. The woman is a trainwreck, and Rory isn't far behind.

I do like the rest of the cast though...

Image
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Peter Crisp » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:10 pm

I finished series 3 of The Expanse yesterday and is was bloody marvellous.

The story remains top notch and my favourite character (Chrisjen Avasarala) has a strong presence. The special effects are great and it's pretty much perfect science fiction that I think everyone will enjoy if they just know it exists which I hope they will do now Amazon have it and not Sci-Fi who seemingly don't advertise shows.

Well worth checking out and a nailed on 10/10 from me :wub: .

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Jenu-All I Want For Christmas
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Jenu-All I Want For Christmas » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:20 pm

Jack Ryan (Amazon Prime) - 7/10

Very watchable stuff, Jim Halpert takes on some terrorists whilst pretending he is just a boring desk jockey. I was expecting this to be pretty terrible so I was actually surprised at how enjoyable the whole thing was. Krasinski does a great job with the role of Ryan and most of the supporting cast are excellent as well. The finale was a bit of a let down in my view, but the first 7 episodes were great.

Also I'm not sure what the standard for these things is like nowadays as I've never been into the likes of 24 or Homeland, but I was impressed by the amount of this which features the characters speaking their native languages and subtitled for the viewer who needs it - it always frustrates me when you watch TV/movies where all these foreign terrorists and warlords go around speaking English to each other all the time! :lol:

ImageImage
User avatar
Yulehide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Yulehide » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:33 pm

Disenchantment 7/10

I know quite a few people hated this but aside from a weak start and slightly bland sense of humour in the first few episodes I began to really enjoy this towards the end and will definitely give any future season a watch.

I think most critics are expecting another Simpsons or Futurama and are then being overly harsh when it isn't the same kind of show. Also the fact that unlike the previously mentioned shows, Disenchantment has an overall story arc rather than the standalone episode format means episodes don't need the rapid fire gag after gag style of comedy.

Last edited by Yulehide on Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Rudolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Rudolphin » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:37 pm

Ironhide wrote:Disenchantment

I know quite a few people hated this but aside from a weak start and slightly bland sense of humour in the first few episodes I began to really enjoy this towards the end and will definitely give any future season a watch.

I think most critics are expecting another Simpsons or Futurama and are then being overly harsh when it isn't the same kind of show. Also the fact that unlike the previously mentioned shows, Disenchantment has an overall story arc rather than the standalone episode format means episodes don't need the rapid fire gag after gag style of comedy.


I know what you mean, but it was heavily marketed as a medieval Futurama.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Yulehide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Yulehide » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:44 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:
Ironhide wrote:Disenchantment

I know quite a few people hated this but aside from a weak start and slightly bland sense of humour in the first few episodes I began to really enjoy this towards the end and will definitely give any future season a watch.

I think most critics are expecting another Simpsons or Futurama and are then being overly harsh when it isn't the same kind of show. Also the fact that unlike the previously mentioned shows, Disenchantment has an overall story arc rather than the standalone episode format means episodes don't need the rapid fire gag after gag style of comedy.


I know what you mean, but it was heavily marketed as a medieval Futurama.


That's more an issue of bad marketing though.

The only real comparison with Futurama I noticed is the art style, and possibly Luci being quite a similar character to Bender. Everything else is almost totally different.

Image
User avatar
Rudolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Rudolphin » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:22 pm

Definitely it is. I'm just saying that you can hardly criticise people for expecting another similar show if they were explicitly sold another similar show by the marketing

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: RE: Re: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Death's Head » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:13 pm

Jenuall wrote:Jack Ryan (Amazon Prime) - 7/10

Very watchable stuff, Jim Halpert takes on some terrorists whilst pretending he is just a boring desk jockey. I was expecting this to be pretty terrible so I was actually surprised at how enjoyable the whole thing was. Krasinski does a great job with the role of Ryan and most of the supporting cast are excellent as well. The finale was a bit of a let down in my view, but the first 7 episodes were great.



Agree, but would give this a mighty 8. The only problem with the last episode (IMO) was that it wrapped things up too quickly. Content was good, just could have done with being longer and upping the tension.

Gotham - series 4. Love this. Ridiculous plot holes throughout but really good fun.

9

Yes?
User avatar
Jenu-All I Want For Christmas
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: RE: Re: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Jenu-All I Want For Christmas » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:39 am

Death's Head wrote:
Jenuall wrote:Jack Ryan (Amazon Prime) - 7/10

Very watchable stuff, Jim Halpert takes on some terrorists whilst pretending he is just a boring desk jockey. I was expecting this to be pretty terrible so I was actually surprised at how enjoyable the whole thing was. Krasinski does a great job with the role of Ryan and most of the supporting cast are excellent as well. The finale was a bit of a let down in my view, but the first 7 episodes were great.



Agree, but would give this a mighty 8. The only problem with the last episode (IMO) was that it wrapped things up too quickly. Content was good, just could have done with being longer and upping the tension.


Yeah I think I'm tempted to up my score to an 8 as well, I think because I was a little disappointed by the last episode it dragged down my view of the whole thing but on reflection it was a great watch.

Another thing I really liked about it was that despite the show being about "Jack Ryan" it wasn't totally centred around that one character and it was very happy to spend time exploring what others in the show were up to. I think there was one episode early on where Jack probably only got a handful of minutes screen time as the show was dealing with other things. That made a nice change from most shows of this type where the main character has to be front and centre almost all the time!

ImageImage
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Death's Head » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:38 pm

Have you seen "Clear and present danger"? I guess that is similar in the sense Harrison Ford is the main character but a lot of screen time is given to the other characters.

Yes?
User avatar
Eat it Harvey
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Eat it Harvey » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:48 pm

Jenuall wrote:Jack Ryan (Amazon Prime) - 7/10

Very watchable stuff, Jim Halpert takes on some terrorists whilst pretending he is just a boring desk jockey. I was expecting this to be pretty terrible so I was actually surprised at how enjoyable the whole thing was. Krasinski does a great job with the role of Ryan and most of the supporting cast are excellent as well. The finale was a bit of a let down in my view, but the first 7 episodes were great.

Also I'm not sure what the standard for these things is like nowadays as I've never been into the likes of 24 or Homeland, but I was impressed by the amount of this which features the characters speaking their native languages and subtitled for the viewer who needs it - it always frustrates me when you watch TV/movies where all these foreign terrorists and warlords go around speaking English to each other all the time! :lol:

Yeah I was expecting it to be rather middling at best, but thoroughly enjoyed it. Nothing special but it scratched that 24 itch quite well.

Between this and A Quiet Place, Krasinski is definitely growing on me as more than just Jim. Though he'll always be Jim. :lol:

Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image

JOIN OUR MINECRAFT REALM HERE!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Hexx » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:48 am

Struggled with where to put this. Frasiers an old show, so the US TV thread didn't feel right.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... al-history

Lovely interviews for Frasiers 25th Anniversary

User avatar
Jenu-All I Want For Christmas
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Jenu-All I Want For Christmas » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:58 am

Ah Frasier, such a good show.

Really need to watch it again some time, there just aren't enough hours in the day anymore!

ImageImage
User avatar
Slayerx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Slayerx » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:43 pm

Atypical season 2

Just as good as season one if not better.

It tackles a difficult subject matter but does a fairly good job at showing the difficulties from all angles and it's just really fun to watch and at times very sad.

User avatar
Satan's Claws
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Kelty, scotland
Contact:

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Satan's Claws » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:28 am

Lucky on Netflix, absolutely crazy and super watchable. It's funny,violent,dark and disturbing.

Rapidly-greying is SHITE at games

Return to “Stuff”