Last TV series you watched and your rating.

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Ecno
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: There're no Wolves

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Ecno » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:03 pm

:capnscotty:
Jenuall wrote:Ah Frasier, such a good show.

Really need to watch it again some time, there just aren't enough hours in the day anymore!


My Grandad loved constantly watching Last of the Summer wine. I imagine my grand kids will have to endure Frasier, Friends and Seinfeld reruns.

http://www.phantomgoal.com

Football Betting Analysis and other related topics.
User avatar
Jenu-All I Want For Christmas
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Jenu-All I Want For Christmas » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:50 am

Ecno wrote::capnscotty:
Jenuall wrote:Ah Frasier, such a good show.

Really need to watch it again some time, there just aren't enough hours in the day anymore!


My Grandad loved constantly watching Last of the Summer wine. I imagine my grand kids will have to endure Frasier, Friends and Seinfeld reruns.


:D

It will be interesting to see how well things hold up over time, from those I suspect that whilst being visibly dated Frasier and Seinfeld will still transfer to newer generations quite well but Friends may struggle as I think it is much more "of it's time".

Generally speaking unless the humour of a show is very heavily related to the specifics of it's time (e.g. riffing on pop cultural references etc.) then if something was funny 30 years ago then it should still be funny now. Cultural shifts will have an impact as well of course, I recall Friends came in for quite a bit of stick recently when all the new kids watched it on Netflix and found some of the material to be quite "regressive" in terms of handling of sexuality etc.

Either way my kids and grandkids are going to be forced to watch a lot of 80s and 90s comedy if I have anything to do with it! :lol:

ImageImage
User avatar
Ecno
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: There're no Wolves

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Ecno » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:59 pm

Jenuall wrote:
Ecno wrote::capnscotty:
Jenuall wrote:Ah Frasier, such a good show.

Really need to watch it again some time, there just aren't enough hours in the day anymore!


My Grandad loved constantly watching Last of the Summer wine. I imagine my grand kids will have to endure Frasier, Friends and Seinfeld reruns.


:D

It will be interesting to see how well things hold up over time, from those I suspect that whilst being visibly dated Frasier and Seinfeld will still transfer to newer generations quite well but Friends may struggle as I think it is much more "of it's time".

Generally speaking unless the humour of a show is very heavily related to the specifics of it's time (e.g. riffing on pop cultural references etc.) then if something was funny 30 years ago then it should still be funny now. Cultural shifts will have an impact as well of course, I recall Friends came in for quite a bit of stick recently when all the new kids watched it on Netflix and found some of the material to be quite "regressive" in terms of handling of sexuality etc.

Either way my kids and grandkids are going to be forced to watch a lot of 80s and 90s comedy if I have anything to do with it! :lol:



I've seen quite a few Friends episodes recently and there's a lot more sexual jokes and references than I remember.

"Mummy is grandad ok, he keeps signing tossed salad and scramble eggs over again".

http://www.phantomgoal.com

Football Betting Analysis and other related topics.
User avatar
d'mince pies
Member
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by d'mince pies » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:16 pm

Speaking of Frasier, been rewatching it again with the Mrs. Currently on season 4 and agree it still holds up really well. As mentioned, it does look bit dated but it's still very funny.

Image
User avatar
Jenu-All I Want For Christmas
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Jenu-All I Want For Christmas » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:30 pm

Ecno wrote:
Jenuall wrote:
Ecno wrote::capnscotty:
Jenuall wrote:Ah Frasier, such a good show.

Really need to watch it again some time, there just aren't enough hours in the day anymore!


My Grandad loved constantly watching Last of the Summer wine. I imagine my grand kids will have to endure Frasier, Friends and Seinfeld reruns.


:D

It will be interesting to see how well things hold up over time, from those I suspect that whilst being visibly dated Frasier and Seinfeld will still transfer to newer generations quite well but Friends may struggle as I think it is much more "of it's time".

Generally speaking unless the humour of a show is very heavily related to the specifics of it's time (e.g. riffing on pop cultural references etc.) then if something was funny 30 years ago then it should still be funny now. Cultural shifts will have an impact as well of course, I recall Friends came in for quite a bit of stick recently when all the new kids watched it on Netflix and found some of the material to be quite "regressive" in terms of handling of sexuality etc.

Either way my kids and grandkids are going to be forced to watch a lot of 80s and 90s comedy if I have anything to do with it! :lol:



I've seen quite a few Friends episodes recently and there's a lot more sexual jokes and references than I remember.

"Mummy is grandad ok, he keeps signing tossed salad and scramble eggs over again".

:lol:

"He keeps saying that he 'seems a bit confused'?!"

Ive decided, I'm currently going through Seinfeld for the first time at the moment (up to season 5)but when I'm done with that I'm going to binge Frasier all over again!

ImageImage
User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Gemini73 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:33 pm

Gotham.

Not quite finished S4, (two episodes to go), but, a couple of weak episodes aside, I absolutely love it. I've thoroughly enjoyed their spin on the Batman universe from S1 to S4.

Image


9/10.

“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here".
User avatar
Vermi-Claus
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Vermi-Claus » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:51 pm

Michael Palin in North Korea

10/10

Absolutely fascinating stuff, i highly recommend it, and can't wait for episode 2 next week.

User avatar
Jenu-All I Want For Christmas
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Jenu-All I Want For Christmas » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:05 pm

Vermilion wrote:Michael Palin in North Korea

10/10

Absolutely fascinating stuff, i highly recommend it, and can't wait for episode 2 next week.


Ooh, didn't know there was a new Palin series out. I always enjoy watching his stuff :D

ImageImage
User avatar
Vermi-Claus
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Vermi-Claus » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:13 pm

Jenuall wrote:
Vermilion wrote:Michael Palin in North Korea

10/10

Absolutely fascinating stuff, i highly recommend it, and can't wait for episode 2 next week.


Ooh, didn't know there was a new Palin series out. I always enjoy watching his stuff :D


https://www.my5.tv/michael-palin-in-nor ... a/season-1

Episode 2 is on next thursday at 9pm.

It was Michael Palin shows which first attracted my interest in foreign travel as a teenager.

Last edited by Vermi-Claus on Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
As Fat as Santa
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by As Fat as Santa » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:14 pm

Jenuall wrote:
Ecno wrote::capnscotty:
Jenuall wrote:Ah Frasier, such a good show.

Really need to watch it again some time, there just aren't enough hours in the day anymore!


My Grandad loved constantly watching Last of the Summer wine. I imagine my grand kids will have to endure Frasier, Friends and Seinfeld reruns.


:D

It will be interesting to see how well things hold up over time, from those I suspect that whilst being visibly dated Frasier and Seinfeld will still transfer to newer generations quite well but Friends may struggle as I think it is much more "of it's time".

Generally speaking unless the humour of a show is very heavily related to the specifics of it's time (e.g. riffing on pop cultural references etc.) then if something was funny 30 years ago then it should still be funny now. Cultural shifts will have an impact as well of course, I recall Friends came in for quite a bit of stick recently when all the new kids watched it on Netflix and found some of the material to be quite "regressive" in terms of handling of sexuality etc.

Either way my kids and grandkids are going to be forced to watch a lot of 80s and 90s comedy if I have anything to do with it! :lol:


Pretty sure I saw Friends described as Sexist, Transphobic, Homophonic and racist.

ImageImageImageImage.
Image
User avatar
Jenu-All I Want For Christmas
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Jenu-All I Want For Christmas » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:22 pm

Vermilion wrote:
Jenuall wrote:
Vermilion wrote:Michael Palin in North Korea

10/10

Absolutely fascinating stuff, i highly recommend it, and can't wait for episode 2 next week.


Ooh, didn't know there was a new Palin series out. I always enjoy watching his stuff :D


https://www.my5.tv/michael-palin-in-nor ... a/season-1

Episode 2 is on next thursday at 9pm.

It was Michael Palin shows which first attracted my interest in foreign travel as a teenager.


Same here, he definitely switched me on to wanting to visit a number of places I would never have considered otherwise, plus there was just something about the affable way he conducts himself that makes everywhere seem not only interesting but also achievable!

Pedz wrote:
Jenuall wrote:
Ecno wrote::capnscotty:
Jenuall wrote:Ah Frasier, such a good show.

Really need to watch it again some time, there just aren't enough hours in the day anymore!


My Grandad loved constantly watching Last of the Summer wine. I imagine my grand kids will have to endure Frasier, Friends and Seinfeld reruns.


:D

It will be interesting to see how well things hold up over time, from those I suspect that whilst being visibly dated Frasier and Seinfeld will still transfer to newer generations quite well but Friends may struggle as I think it is much more "of it's time".

Generally speaking unless the humour of a show is very heavily related to the specifics of it's time (e.g. riffing on pop cultural references etc.) then if something was funny 30 years ago then it should still be funny now. Cultural shifts will have an impact as well of course, I recall Friends came in for quite a bit of stick recently when all the new kids watched it on Netflix and found some of the material to be quite "regressive" in terms of handling of sexuality etc.

Either way my kids and grandkids are going to be forced to watch a lot of 80s and 90s comedy if I have anything to do with it! :lol:


Pretty sure I saw Friends described as Sexist, Transphobic, Homophonic and racist.


The full quartet!

It is a harder show to watch now than it was 20 years ago so I can understand how first time viewers might be surprised about a few aspects.

ImageImage
User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Gemini73 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:30 pm

Vermilion wrote:Michael Palin in North Korea

10/10

Absolutely fascinating stuff, i highly recommend it, and can't wait for episode 2 next week.


I watched that. Yes it was fascinating.

The young girls that made up the somewhat robotic traffic police and who are apparently "hand picked" was a tad sinister.

“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here".
User avatar
Vermi-Claus
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Vermi-Claus » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:33 am

Pedz wrote:Pretty sure I saw Friends described as Sexist, Transphobic, Homophonic and racist.


:fp:

If they said that about Friends, god knows what they'd make of Blackadder.

User avatar
Chestnut Snowleaves
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Leicestershire

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Chestnut Snowleaves » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:43 am

Vermilion wrote:
Pedz wrote:Pretty sure I saw Friends described as Sexist, Transphobic, Homophonic and racist.


:fp:

If they said that about Friends, god knows what they'd make of Blackadder.


It kind of is though. It's still great, but there are scenes and jokes that make uncomfortable viewing in today's climate.

jawafour wrote:You definitely have the biggest one, mhtl - it's strawberry-floatin' massive!
User avatar
Rudolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Rudolphin » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:06 am

more heat than light wrote:
Vermilion wrote:
Pedz wrote:Pretty sure I saw Friends described as Sexist, Transphobic, Homophonic and racist.


:fp:

If they said that about Friends, god knows what they'd make of Blackadder.


It kind of is though. It's still great, but there are scenes and jokes that make uncomfortable viewing in today's climate.


Yup. I went through the first 7 seasons of Friends earlier this year and there's a buuuuunch of sexism in there, not to mention zero (literally zero) significant black characters and a large part of Chandler's backstory is 'lol his dad is a woman now.'

It hasn't aged well.

Also, Ross is a complete twat. I do not know how I missed that the first time round.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Chestnut Snowleaves
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Leicestershire

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Chestnut Snowleaves » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:18 am

The 'zero black characters' thing doesn't bother me to be honest. It's entirely plausible that a group of white friends hang around with white people and have solely white families. At least you can't accuse it of tokenism.

The gay jokes are obviously not great, while watching I just tend to not laugh and move on. I don't think any of it is overly nasty, it's just a bit insensitive and wouldn't even be considered these days. I was watching an episode the other day where Joey's girlfriend is beating him up and everyone mocks him about it, which was pretty gross.

The show is still great though, I think a lot of it holds up really well.

jawafour wrote:You definitely have the biggest one, mhtl - it's strawberry-floatin' massive!
User avatar
Vermi-Claus
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Vermi-Claus » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:29 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:not to mention zero (literally zero) significant black characters


This is the second time i've seen you comment on a production being too white (the previous being Notting Hill), and i find it rather bizarre.

It would be like me watching Fresh Prince, only to comment that there's a lack of significant white characters (which is something i'd never do).

Just seems kinda odd. :|

User avatar
Rudolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Rudolphin » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:06 pm

Vermilion wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:not to mention zero (literally zero) significant black characters


This is the second time i've seen you comment on a production being too white (the previous being Notting Hill), and i find it rather bizarre.

It would be like me watching Fresh Prince, only to comment that there's a lack of significant white characters (which is something i'd never do).

Just seems kinda odd. :|


So, I suppose my response is twofold:

a) Why do you think it's odd? This is a genuine question.
b) The Fresh Prince example is something of a false equivalency.

The first is self explanatory, but I'd like to delve into the second.

The representation of white and African-american cultures is not equal in Western media. The vast majority of programming and movies were and are based around white cultural tropes, and more often than not positions white people as the main focus of their narratives.

Because of the domination of white cultural representation in media, citing an example of one counter example is not divesting the majority of western media from its inherent bias towards white representation. When you set a sitcom in the midst of the most diverse city on the planet and 100% of the returning cast are white, that's not the same as having a sitcom explicitly about a black family and stating there are no white characters.

The Fresh Prince, by having a narrative hook that focused explicitly on a minority family, was entirely about representation, representation of a neglected cultural viewpoint. Therefore, stating there were no white characters in a sitcom specifically geared towards the representation of a non-white demographic is, I feel, a moot point and certainly not comparable to Friends' lack of diversity and, say it one more time, representation.

more heat than light wrote:The 'zero black characters' thing doesn't bother me to be honest. It's entirely plausible that a group of white friends hang around with white people and have solely white families. At least you can't accuse it of tokenism.

The gay jokes are obviously not great, while watching I just tend to not laugh and move on. I don't think any of it is overly nasty, it's just a bit insensitive and wouldn't even be considered these days. I was watching an episode the other day where Joey's girlfriend is beating him up and everyone mocks him about it, which was pretty gross.


And this is where this all comes into practice in a very real way.

I'm going to guess here, and apologies if I'm wrong, that you're a white, straight man. None of these issues, casual homophobia, lack of diversity and representation, affect you personally because you are a part of the dominant culture in western society.

People who identify as homosexual, people of colour, trans people; all are less likely to be able to simply ignore these jokes, or not be bothered by them, because these are jokes at their expense.

It is your privilege as a white, straight man to be able to state that the jokes don't bother you. Instead what we should be thinking about is whether they bother those people less represented in this culture in which we have won the genetic lottery.

Finally, I'm not saying that Friends is the worst. I'm not saying that every black or gay person who watches Friends would immediately be offended. All I'm saying is that some jokes have aged badly, and the lack of representation is different to what we'd expect today and I do not think there's anything odd in pointing this out.

Apologies too for singling you both out, Vermillion and MHTL, you were simply the closest examples to hand! For what its worth, I do exactly the same as you MHTL and just plough through the rough parts. I still think it's important to recognise how this is very much a luxury however.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Chestnut Snowleaves
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Leicestershire

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Chestnut Snowleaves » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:44 pm

Of course, I completely agree with you for the most part. I'm super glad there is more diversity in TV these days, but I personally don't sit there watching Friends going 'man, I wish there were more black characters'. You're probably right that this is my white privilege talking, but it would be disingenuous of me to say it bothered me if it didn't.

I kinda feel like we will eventually reach a point where society in general will not give a gooseberry fool what people are, so we won't need to make sure that every race, gender and sexuality is represented. Until we reach that point there will always be a balancing act between actual diversity and making sure every box is ticked. I don't think a show featuring an entirely white cast necessarily means that the creators of that show are racist.

EDIT - this was going to be a longer, more detailed post but it's late and I'm tired. :-)

jawafour wrote:You definitely have the biggest one, mhtl - it's strawberry-floatin' massive!
User avatar
As Fat as Santa
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by As Fat as Santa » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:49 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:
Vermilion wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:not to mention zero (literally zero) significant black characters


This is the second time i've seen you comment on a production being too white (the previous being Notting Hill), and i find it rather bizarre.

It would be like me watching Fresh Prince, only to comment that there's a lack of significant white characters (which is something i'd never do).

Just seems kinda odd. :|


So, I suppose my response is twofold:

a) Why do you think it's odd? This is a genuine question.
b) The Fresh Prince example is something of a false equivalency.

The first is self explanatory, but I'd like to delve into the second.

The representation of white and African-american cultures is not equal in Western media. The vast majority of programming and movies were and are based around white cultural tropes, and more often than not positions white people as the main focus of their narratives.

Because of the domination of white cultural representation in media, citing an example of one counter example is not divesting the majority of western media from its inherent bias towards white representation. When you set a sitcom in the midst of the most diverse city on the planet and 100% of the returning cast are white, that's not the same as having a sitcom explicitly about a black family and stating there are no white characters.

The Fresh Prince, by having a narrative hook that focused explicitly on a minority family, was entirely about representation, representation of a neglected cultural viewpoint. Therefore, stating there were no white characters in a sitcom specifically geared towards the representation of a non-white demographic is, I feel, a moot point and certainly not comparable to Friends' lack of diversity and, say it one more time, representation.

more heat than light wrote:The 'zero black characters' thing doesn't bother me to be honest. It's entirely plausible that a group of white friends hang around with white people and have solely white families. At least you can't accuse it of tokenism.

The gay jokes are obviously not great, while watching I just tend to not laugh and move on. I don't think any of it is overly nasty, it's just a bit insensitive and wouldn't even be considered these days. I was watching an episode the other day where Joey's girlfriend is beating him up and everyone mocks him about it, which was pretty gross.


And this is where this all comes into practice in a very real way.

I'm going to guess here, and apologies if I'm wrong, that you're a white, straight man. None of these issues, casual homophobia, lack of diversity and representation, affect you personally because you are a part of the dominant culture in western society.

People who identify as homosexual, people of colour, trans people; all are less likely to be able to simply ignore these jokes, or not be bothered by them, because these are jokes at their expense.

It is your privilege as a white, straight man to be able to state that the jokes don't bother you. Instead what we should be thinking about is whether they bother those people less represented in this culture in which we have won the genetic lottery.

Finally, I'm not saying that Friends is the worst. I'm not saying that every black or gay person who watches Friends would immediately be offended. All I'm saying is that some jokes have aged badly, and the lack of representation is different to what we'd expect today and I do not think there's anything odd in pointing this out.

Apologies too for singling you both out, Vermillion and MHTL, you were simply the closest examples to hand! For what its worth, I do exactly the same as you MHTL and just plough through the rough parts. I still think it's important to recognise how this is very much a luxury however.


I disagree, I think it really depends on the person, I know a few gay people, male and female. They love friends and have never once said it was homophobic.

ImageImageImageImage.
Image

Return to “Stuff”