Last TV series you watched and your rating.

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Jenu-All I Want For Christmas
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Jenu-All I Want For Christmas » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:51 am

Breaking Bad

Re-watched all of this in preparation for the imminent arrival of new season of Better Call Saul, I was planning to get through the first 3 seasons of that as well but not sure I'm going to have time...

Is there anything left to say about BB? It's just utterly mesmerising television. If I live to see a better 45 minutes of drama than Season 5 standout Ozymandias then I will be amazed. Can't wait for BCS Season 4 now!

10/10

ImageImage
User avatar
Octoroc
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Blighty

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Octoroc » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:29 am

Mortimer & Whitehouse: Gone Fishing

Before watching this series that I assumed would be gooseberry fool, I had no real opinions about fish.

Now I have new found respect for Tench and nothing but contempt for Bream.

Bream. :roll:

User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Northampton

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Return_of_the_STAR » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:33 am

SugarDave wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:The Vietnam War 10/10

One of the most remarkable shows I've seen in a long time. It does something almost impossible, reconciling all the military, cultural, social and geo-political aspects of the whole Vietnam quagmire into a programme that not only gives the viewer a better understand of the whole sorry affair, but creates and maintains an empathy with almost every opposing viewpoint.

Absolutely no hesitation in calling it a work of genius. A must watch.


Agreed. I finished watching it about a week ago and it's fantastic. It strikes a perfect balance of being a comprehensive account of the ideological build-up and the political, social and cultural ramifications that followed, with personal stories that lend a degree of intimacy to the entire ordeal. Having only really observed the Vietnam War through media that portrays it as little more than a glorified CCR gig, it was an excellent learning resource.

I'd have liked it to expand a little more on the ARVN forces, particularly after the US had pulled out, but I suppose the documentary did its job now that I'm interested in learning about this on my own.


Where can I watch this in the UK?

Image

GRAPL Heavyweight Champion 2010, Runner Up 2017, tag team Champion 2011, 2015, Wrestlemania PPV Winner 2012 and your current all time highest GRAPL points scorer.
Fixture feeling champion 2013.

I'm a Paul Heyman guy!
User avatar
Octoroc
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Blighty

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Octoroc » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:35 am

Return_of_the_STAR wrote:Where can I watch this in the UK?


It was on BBC 4 this year. It will inevitably be repeated and I agree with the comments above; it's brilliant.

Top of the page ma!

User avatar
Rudolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Rudolphin » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:36 am

Return_of_the_STAR wrote:
SugarDave wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:The Vietnam War 10/10

One of the most remarkable shows I've seen in a long time. It does something almost impossible, reconciling all the military, cultural, social and geo-political aspects of the whole Vietnam quagmire into a programme that not only gives the viewer a better understand of the whole sorry affair, but creates and maintains an empathy with almost every opposing viewpoint.

Absolutely no hesitation in calling it a work of genius. A must watch.


Agreed. I finished watching it about a week ago and it's fantastic. It strikes a perfect balance of being a comprehensive account of the ideological build-up and the political, social and cultural ramifications that followed, with personal stories that lend a degree of intimacy to the entire ordeal. Having only really observed the Vietnam War through media that portrays it as little more than a glorified CCR gig, it was an excellent learning resource.

I'd have liked it to expand a little more on the ARVN forces, particularly after the US had pulled out, but I suppose the documentary did its job now that I'm interested in learning about this on my own.


Where can I watch this in the UK?


Just gone up on Netflix. Apparently the BBC 4 version was heavily truncated.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Northampton

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Return_of_the_STAR » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:37 am

Octoroc wrote:
Return_of_the_STAR wrote:Where can I watch this in the UK?


It was on BBC 4 this year. It will inevitably be repeated and I agree with the comments above; it's brilliant.

Top of the page ma!


Tafdolphin wrote:
Return_of_the_STAR wrote:
SugarDave wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:The Vietnam War 10/10

One of the most remarkable shows I've seen in a long time. It does something almost impossible, reconciling all the military, cultural, social and geo-political aspects of the whole Vietnam quagmire into a programme that not only gives the viewer a better understand of the whole sorry affair, but creates and maintains an empathy with almost every opposing viewpoint.

Absolutely no hesitation in calling it a work of genius. A must watch.


Agreed. I finished watching it about a week ago and it's fantastic. It strikes a perfect balance of being a comprehensive account of the ideological build-up and the political, social and cultural ramifications that followed, with personal stories that lend a degree of intimacy to the entire ordeal. Having only really observed the Vietnam War through media that portrays it as little more than a glorified CCR gig, it was an excellent learning resource.

I'd have liked it to expand a little more on the ARVN forces, particularly after the US had pulled out, but I suppose the documentary did its job now that I'm interested in learning about this on my own.


Where can I watch this in the UK?


Just gone up on Netflix. Apparently the BBC 4 version was heavily truncated.


Thanks both. I seem to have missed it completely in bbc4.

Image

GRAPL Heavyweight Champion 2010, Runner Up 2017, tag team Champion 2011, 2015, Wrestlemania PPV Winner 2012 and your current all time highest GRAPL points scorer.
Fixture feeling champion 2013.

I'm a Paul Heyman guy!
User avatar
Lotus
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Lotus » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:44 am

Dark 8/10

Really enjoyed this. The ending was a bit of a letdown, and I perhaps left it too long between the penultimate and final episodes (the World Cup came along and interrupted my viewing...) meaning I'd forgotten some of what'd happened, but overall it was very good.

Image
User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:56 am

Octoroc wrote:Mortimer & Whitehouse: Gone Fishing

Before watching this series that I assumed would be gooseberry fool, I had no real opinions about fish.

Now I have new found respect for Tench and nothing but contempt for Bream.

Bream. :roll:


I need to watch the final episode, but this really is a fantastic show. Funny and heartbreaking at the same time.

Although it’s not acting, it reminds me of Detectorists, it’s gentle and lovable comedy based around a subject that most people wouldn’t find interesting.

User avatar
Octoroc
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Blighty

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Octoroc » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:05 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:Just gone up on Netflix. Apparently the BBC 4 version was heavily truncated.


In what way? shorter/fewer episodes?

User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Squinty » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:28 pm

Lotus wrote:Dark 8/10

Really enjoyed this. The ending was a bit of a letdown, and I perhaps left it too long between the penultimate and final episodes (the World Cup came along and interrupted my viewing...) meaning I'd forgotten some of what'd happened, but overall it was very good.


It's a good show. I hope they make more. I really liked the format of it. Starts off pretty normal, goes slightly off kilter, then goes batshit crazy towards the end.

The episode where Ulrich kills the young boy (Bernard?) in the past shocked the hell out of me.

User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by jawafour » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:58 pm

Better Call Saul (series 1, 2 and 3) - I got all three series on disc and I watched the lot over the past few weeks. I thoroughly enjoyed them and I love how it feels fresh but also incorporates so many characters and locations from Breaking Bad.

User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Rex Kramer » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:11 pm

Moggy wrote:
Octoroc wrote:Mortimer & Whitehouse: Gone Fishing

Before watching this series that I assumed would be gooseberry fool, I had no real opinions about fish.

Now I have new found respect for Tench and nothing but contempt for Bream.

Bream. :roll:


I need to watch the final episode, but this really is a fantastic show. Funny and heartbreaking at the same time.

Although it’s not acting, it reminds me of Detectorists, it’s gentle and lovable comedy based around a subject that most people wouldn’t find interesting.

I watched about 10 minutes of it last night and I really need to seek out more on the iPlayer. Didn't see any actual fishing or really any mention of fish, it was just the pair of them arsing about. Very watchable.

User avatar
Monkey Man
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Monkey Man » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:07 pm

Octoroc wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:Just gone up on Netflix. Apparently the BBC 4 version was heavily truncated.


In what way? shorter/fewer episodes?

They're both 10 episodes with the BBC versions 55 mins long and the Netflix versions are 30m - 1hr longer.

Image
JediDragon05
Member
Joined in 2010
Location: The Grcade asylum

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by JediDragon05 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:58 pm

24 : Legacy

What wrong here?. I think the makers need to be kicked in the nuts. Repeatedly. To remind them what made 24 so great (apart from some silly subplots like The cougar vs Kim, pipe down you lot :x ).

You know your life has hit rock bottom when they turn one of your favourite tv shows into a show for the ponces who like Twilight films.

Teri Bauer would be having another brain fart if she saw this. Speaking of the Bauer’s, I can’t remember this guys name, he’s got the bark but doesn’t have Jacks bite.

They’ve killed this show, was reading the other night that they’ve cancelled a second season of Legacy :toot:
Which is a good thing because they can get Kiefer back as Designated Survivor has been cancelled.

So get to it Fox.

Come fight death with me
User avatar
AnOpenCasket
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by AnOpenCasket » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:26 am

The Good Place. 6.5 out of 10.
Great first season. Amazing twist. Then the second season started and it went downhill. I hate
forced redemption. It came across as fake.

User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Hime » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:02 am

Wild Wild County
Thanks to Taf for bringing this to my attention. Constantly intriguing, thought provoking and compelling. I'm not sure if I felt sympathy for anyone in the end as everyone was doing bad things, The US government throwing their weight around after the arrest sticks in mind as being particularly horrible. Funny that one of the issues was constitutional with the lack of separation between religion and government with the state of the US at the moment with Christianity.

Image
User avatar
SandyCoin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: London

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by SandyCoin » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:06 am

Tafdolphin wrote:The Vietnam War 10/10

One of the most remarkable shows I've seen in a long time. It does something almost impossible, reconciling all the military, cultural, social and geo-political aspects of the whole Vietnam quagmire into a programme that not only gives the viewer a better understand of the whole sorry affair, but creates and maintains an empathy with almost every opposing viewpoint.

Absolutely no hesitation in calling it a work of genius. A must watch.


I started this last night and watched the first episode. Brilliant stuff already. It's a war that I really know not a lot about at all, despite being fascinated by it at the same time, so the first episode was very interesting. I knew about colonial France etc, but not what really led to the war. Looking forward to the next episode.

Also, I've been re-watching Boardwalk Empire for the first time in what...8 years? Just finished season 1 and it really is such a brilliant show. From the acting, the direction, the sets, it's just great. I'd say it's high up there in my all time favourite TV shows. Agent Van Alden is such a hilariously mad character :lol: . Played to perfection. 9/10

-----> My Illustration Blog | My Shop <------
User avatar
Rudolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Rudolphin » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:43 am

Monkey Man wrote:
Octoroc wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:Just gone up on Netflix. Apparently the BBC 4 version was heavily truncated.


In what way? shorter/fewer episodes?

They're both 10 episodes with the BBC versions 55 mins long and the Netflix versions are 30m - 1hr longer.


Think you missed a "1" there. Just for clarity

BBC4 eps: 55mins
Netflix eps: 1hr30

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Chestnut Snowleaves
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Leicestershire

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Chestnut Snowleaves » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:46 am

Tafdolphin wrote:
Monkey Man wrote:
Octoroc wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:Just gone up on Netflix. Apparently the BBC 4 version was heavily truncated.


In what way? shorter/fewer episodes?

They're both 10 episodes with the BBC versions 55 mins long and the Netflix versions are 30m - 1hr longer.


Think you missed a "1" there. Just for clarity

BBC4 eps: 55mins
Netflix eps: 1hr30


I think he means they're thirty minutes to an hour longer.

jawafour wrote:You definitely have the biggest one, mhtl - it's strawberry-floatin' massive!
User avatar
Monkey Man
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Monkey Man » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:40 am

more heat than light wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:
Monkey Man wrote:
Octoroc wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:Just gone up on Netflix. Apparently the BBC 4 version was heavily truncated.


In what way? shorter/fewer episodes?

They're both 10 episodes with the BBC versions 55 mins long and the Netflix versions are 30m - 1hr longer.


Think you missed a "1" there. Just for clarity

BBC4 eps: 55mins
Netflix eps: 1hr30


I think he means they're thirty minutes to an hour longer.

Correct.

Image

Return to “Stuff”