Microsoft acquires inXile and Obsidian Entertainment

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Garth of Christmas Future
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostMicrosoft acquires inXile and Obsidian Entertainment
by Garth of Christmas Future » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:55 pm

Just announced on their live show.


Both will remain autonomous studios, but now with money.



User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Microsoft acquires inXile and Obsidian Entertainment
by Gemini73 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:03 pm

Yeah, this is good. Could really put MS in a really strong position to dominate the RPG arena for consoles.

“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here".
User avatar
Monkey Man
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Microsoft acquires inXile and Obsidian Entertainment
by Monkey Man » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:18 pm

Loved Wasteland 2 so pleased to see the 3rd game coming out next year.

Image
User avatar
Ho-Ho-Ho-tek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Microsoft acquires inXile and Obsidian Entertainment
by Ho-Ho-Ho-tek » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:56 am

Monkey Man wrote:Loved Wasteland 2 so pleased to see the 3rd game coming out next year.

I hope wasteland 3 isn’t made on Unity.

Image
Grcades resident banana split.
User avatar
kerr9000
Member
Joined in 2013

PostRe: Microsoft acquires inXile and Obsidian Entertainment
by kerr9000 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:51 am

I'm a massive fan of Obsidian so maybe I'm biased but I think this is a great move by Microsoft

http://kerr9000.blogspot.co.uk/ For my Blog... https://www.youtube.com/user/kerr9000 for my YouTube channel. kerr9000_blog on Instagram. kerr9000 on Xbox, PS4 etc
User avatar
Rudolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Microsoft acquires inXile and Obsidian Entertainment
by Rudolphin » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:42 am

Am probably the only one who's not going to be happy about this, but I'm not happy about this.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Lee Carvallo's Putting Challenge
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Microsoft acquires inXile and Obsidian Entertainment
by Lee Carvallo's Putting Challenge » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:54 am

If the news about PoE II's numbers are true then I can see why Obsidian gave up their independence. I hope it works out for them. Ditto the other team.

| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Microsoft acquires inXile and Obsidian Entertainment
by lex-man » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:51 am

I'm a bit worried that this will just lead to the end of the studio's in a few years although hopefully we'll get some good games out of them first.

User avatar
Meep In Heavenly Peace
Member
Joined in 2010
Location: Belfast

PostRe: Microsoft acquires inXile and Obsidian Entertainment
by Meep In Heavenly Peace » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:43 am

I hope they give Obsidian a whopping big cheque and get them to make something like New Vegas (using Wasteland, which the aquisiton of inXile seems to hint at). They could use the PoE world to create a more modern RPG with mass market appeal like Elder Scrolls, but actaully done properly with real roleplaying depth and show Bethesda the error of their ways.

Obsidian have said they would love to create something like New Vegas again and this could give them the chance if they get the right investment.

User avatar
Rudolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Microsoft acquires inXile and Obsidian Entertainment
by Rudolphin » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:58 am

The writer on our game responded to this on twitter with a deaths head emoji. When I asked him about it, he mentioned this was entirely because of his own previous dealings with MS as a publisher/owner.

So yeah. Put me in the "this'll work out for a few years/projects before everyone leaves and Obsidian as known ceases to exist" school of thought.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Microsoft acquires inXile and Obsidian Entertainment
by Peter Crisp » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:50 pm

Hopefully with Microsoft trying to build a library of games for Gamepass they won't just close studios at the first sign of a game being less than ultra successful. I'm quite hopeful that with the sheer number of studios they have now they should have a decent number of games available for the first few years of the next gen which will hopefully be on gamepass if they stick with it.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Rudolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Microsoft acquires inXile and Obsidian Entertainment
by Rudolphin » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:54 pm

Peter Crisp wrote:Hopefully with Microsoft trying to build a library of games for Gamepass they won't just close studios at the first sign of a game being less than ultra successful. I'm quite hopeful that with the sheer number of studios they have now they should have a decent number of games available for the first few years of the next gen which will hopefully be on gamepass if they stick with it.


That's not really what I'm referring to. Generally with these acquisitions it's a slow death due to shifted profit expectations and working conditions rather than a rapid demise through closure. Look at EA and BioWare, or EA and any studio they've ever bought. Now, MS is not EA and hopefully they'll be following Sony's model for in-house studios that has paid dividends, but from all accounts MS are a slow moving behemoth with a work culture that is set in stone. My worry is that the agile, innovative styles of inXile and Obsidian simply won't translate which will lead to a brain drain amongst the senior designers.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
John Phillips, London
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Microsoft acquires inXile and Obsidian Entertainment
by John Phillips, London » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:57 pm

I read that Pillars 2 wouldn't have been released without Microsoft's money and it still performed quite badly. This may put Obsidian on borrowed time but it also gives it another chance in that it looked like the company would have otherwise closed.

Image
User avatar
Meep In Heavenly Peace
Member
Joined in 2010
Location: Belfast

PostRe: Microsoft acquires inXile and Obsidian Entertainment
by Meep In Heavenly Peace » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:13 pm

The disapointing thing is that we may see an end to their traditional isometric content. I assume MS did not purchase them for that and want to produce something more mass market that can be sold to a console audience. Like a I said, I would love a spiritual successor to New Vegas, but there could a be a loss of talent going to do other things along the lines of what they have been producing in recent years.

Short-termism is the enemy here. There are execs pressured to show a return on investment quickly and that can end up destroying the thing they wanted in the first place. It's not really their fault I suppose. Managing a newly acquired studio properly and returning a sustainable return in the long term might be wise, but it's not much use to you if your shareholders - who know nothing about game development - get too impatient.

User avatar
Rudolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Microsoft acquires inXile and Obsidian Entertainment
by Rudolphin » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:15 pm

Super Dragon 64 wrote:I read that Pillars 2 wouldn't have been released without Microsoft's money and it still performed quite badly. This may put Obsidian on borrowed time but it also gives it another chance in that it looked like the company would have otherwise closed.


There's this too yeah. I'd rather they be acquired by MS than disappear entirely.

Meep wrote:Short-termism is the enemy here. There are execs pressured to show a return on investment quickly and that can end up destroying the thing they wanted in the first place. It's not really their fault I suppose. Managing a newly acquired studio properly and returning a sustainable return in the long term might be wise, but it's not much use to you if your shareholders - who know nothing about game development - get too impatient.


If what Chris Avellone's been tweeting recently is true, Obsidian has been mismanaged for years, including scamming devs, some of whom put their own money into the company to save it from going under, out of bonuses and royalties. Hopefully that'll disappear now, although I doubt it.

Last edited by Rudolphin on Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Microsoft acquires inXile and Obsidian Entertainment
by Peter Crisp » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:16 pm

I suppose it all depends on if they want content for this gen or next.
If they just want content for next gen then the studios should have enough time to make games at a reasonable pace assuming they aren't all expected to have games ready for launch day.
The 2 new additions may not be expected to have anything ready until year 2 of the next gen which gives them plenty of time and if they're just carrying on working on games already in development then even better.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Microsoft acquires inXile and Obsidian Entertainment
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:18 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:Am probably the only one who's not going to be happy about this, but I'm not happy about this.


It’s not like you to be unhappy about gaming news. :shock:

User avatar
Rudolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Microsoft acquires inXile and Obsidian Entertainment
by Rudolphin » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:21 pm

Moggy wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:Am probably the only one who's not going to be happy about this, but I'm not happy about this.


It’s not like you to be unhappy about gaming news. :shock:


I'm a professional cynic... But my heart's not in it. :(

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Microsoft acquires inXile and Obsidian Entertainment
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:34 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:Am probably the only one who's not going to be happy about this, but I'm not happy about this.


It’s not like you to be unhappy about gaming news. :shock:


I'm a professional cynic... But my heart's not in it. :(


You gotta roll with it.

User avatar
Rudolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Microsoft acquires inXile and Obsidian Entertainment
by Rudolphin » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:38 pm

Moggy wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:Am probably the only one who's not going to be happy about this, but I'm not happy about this.


It’s not like you to be unhappy about gaming news. :shock:


I'm a professional cynic... But my heart's not in it. :(


You gotta roll with it.


You got the F.E.A.R.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: *<]:^D, Albear, darksideby182, Google [Bot], Joer, Lee Carvallo's Putting Challenge, Monkey Man, OldSoulCyborg, SerialCeler, Starquake, TonyDA and 58 guests