Movie News/Discussion Thread 2

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2
by Hime » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:12 pm

Pedz wrote:There's a trophy for winning the internet? Must start winning more. It'll be my first trophy.

It's a nice feeling. I've been training for this battle for a while by reading old copies of loaded and fast forwarding to egregious
nudie scenes in movies, Melancholia wad a good one as I knew how upsetting Taf would find this film after being engrossed in the pretentious twaddle only for Kirstin Dunst to get her tits out for no good reason. The dancing bit in True Lies was a weird one as I'm not sure how attractive Jamie Lee Curtis is in this film but I was committed to my training and ultimately has worked out.

Stick in there and I'm sure you'll be in with a chance next time.

Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2
by Moggy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:56 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:
Hime wrote:What does equality actually mean in this context? Is it about more women getting leading roles in the types of films that would normally be cast with a male actor? Is it cool for the women to be scantily clad if the film is shot from a women's perspective? It seems like the kind of issue that can always be applied if you spin your argument appropriately.


It's about representation. It's about films being made that appear to a female audience. It's about, if we go off camera for a second, women getting paid as much as men. It's about films fulfilling the Bechdel Test

Image

And any argument can, of course be spun any way you like. What you can't spin is the fact that there are less women in leading roles than men, that they are paid less and that when women do appear they are often portrayed as a sexual object.

Again, it's getting better. Not within the blockbuster genre so much, although films like Ghostbusters, Ocean's 8 and Bridesmaids are more and more common, but look at indie films with recent releases like Lady Bird and even I, Tonya.


I love that one of the only movies out there that is acceptable to feminists is Silence of the Lambs. A movie where a man butchers women in order to wear their skin. :lol:

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2
by Preezy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:05 pm

I also think it’s ridiculous to put The Shawshank Redemption in there. If a feminist doesn’t like it they can strawberry float off.

User avatar
Frank
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2
by Frank » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:36 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:
Preezy wrote:We mustn’t ever be forced to see the outrageous and frankly dangerous image of a lady in her undergarments, this is Victorian England don’t you know!


Frank wrote:Doesn't Ruffalo wake up naked in the wreckage of a swimming pool after hulking out in the Avengers?


Under the proviso that this is fake footage and we're now talking purely about hypotheticals I want to say something about these two reactions: it's not just about a woman appearing in her underwear. It's about, as I mentioned, the male gaze.


I only mentioned the Banner scene as a response to the post directly above mine (can't remember who it was by and I'm on my phone so can't easily check :shifty: ). Wasn't really trying to disprove your point of view or anything, I can usually see where you're coming from with the whole "male gaze" thing.

What about topless Kylo in the Last Jedi?

Image
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2
by Tafdolphin » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:47 pm

Frank wrote:What about topless Kylo in the Last Jedi?


Popping back in quick just to say I did mention that, at the bottom of the post you quoted. It made me feel funny in my trousers and had me questioning my otherwise steadfast masculinity.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Karl
Seyana!
Seyana!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2
by Karl » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:59 pm

Preezy wrote:I also think it’s ridiculous to put The Shawshank Redemption in there. If a feminist doesn’t like it they can strawberry float off.

I've never met anyone that doesn't like The Shawshank Redemption, it's a great film, and one of the most accessible "best films" to non-film-nerds at that (even I can see why it's good!).

I don't think feminists have a problem with it, I felt the point of that table was just to show a selection of popular films and say, hey, most of these are really guy-oriented, maybe we should have more of a mix, y'know?

User avatar
Slayerx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2
by Slayerx » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:00 pm

Moggy wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:
Hime wrote:What does equality actually mean in this context? Is it about more women getting leading roles in the types of films that would normally be cast with a male actor? Is it cool for the women to be scantily clad if the film is shot from a women's perspective? It seems like the kind of issue that can always be applied if you spin your argument appropriately.


It's about representation. It's about films being made that appear to a female audience. It's about, if we go off camera for a second, women getting paid as much as men. It's about films fulfilling the Bechdel Test

Image

And any argument can, of course be spun any way you like. What you can't spin is the fact that there are less women in leading roles than men, that they are paid less and that when women do appear they are often portrayed as a sexual object.

Again, it's getting better. Not within the blockbuster genre so much, although films like Ghostbusters, Ocean's 8 and Bridesmaids are more and more common, but look at indie films with recent releases like Lady Bird and even I, Tonya.


I love that one of the only movies out there that is acceptable to feminists is Silence of the Lambs. A movie where a man butchers women in order to wear their skin. :lol:


:lol:

Still trying to remember the second female role.

Is it the girl in the well?

User avatar
Godzilla
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2
by Godzilla » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:05 pm

Clarice has a black female friend she speak to about the case (about a man).

Wish my image sig would work
User avatar
Denster
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2
by Denster » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:33 am

Ruth Martin the senator as well.

10, <];^D
The SS shitlist.
User avatar
PatSharpsMullet
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Brighton

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2
by PatSharpsMullet » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:27 pm

Creed II trailer.


Image
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2
by Preezy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:18 pm

How does it measure on the Bechdel Test?

User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2
by Hime » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:04 pm

Preezy wrote:How does it measure on the Bechdel Test?

It doesn't need it; the lead actor is black so if you don't like the film you're obviously racist.

Image
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2
by Tomous » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:24 pm

Suggestion Disney have put the anthology Star Wars films on hold after Solo’s performance. Wouldn’t be a surprise.

User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Northampton

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2
by Return_of_the_STAR » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:27 pm

Tomous wrote:Suggestion Disney have put the anthology Star Wars films on hold after Solo’s performance. Wouldn’t be a surprise.


That’s a real shame, I was looking forward to seeing the follow up to Solo.

Image

GRAPL Heavyweight Champion 2010, Runner Up 2017, tag team Champion 2011, 2015, Wrestlemania PPV Winner 2012 and your current all time highest GRAPL points scorer.
Fixture feeling champion 2013.

I'm a Paul Heyman guy!
User avatar
Skarjo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2
by Skarjo » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:25 am

Moggy wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:
Hime wrote:What does equality actually mean in this context? Is it about more women getting leading roles in the types of films that would normally be cast with a male actor? Is it cool for the women to be scantily clad if the film is shot from a women's perspective? It seems like the kind of issue that can always be applied if you spin your argument appropriately.


It's about representation. It's about films being made that appear to a female audience. It's about, if we go off camera for a second, women getting paid as much as men. It's about films fulfilling the Bechdel Test

Image

And any argument can, of course be spun any way you like. What you can't spin is the fact that there are less women in leading roles than men, that they are paid less and that when women do appear they are often portrayed as a sexual object.

Again, it's getting better. Not within the blockbuster genre so much, although films like Ghostbusters, Ocean's 8 and Bridesmaids are more and more common, but look at indie films with recent releases like Lady Bird and even I, Tonya.


I love that one of the only movies out there that is acceptable to feminists is Silence of the Lambs. A movie where a man butchers women in order to wear their skin. :lol:


I don't think that the Bechdel Test is meant to be taken as 'This Film is Feminist Approved'. It's more a measure of how well developed the female characters are in their own right.

Plenty of gooseberry fool movies pass the Bechdel test, and plenty of great ones don't. It just means the female characters are defined in their own right.

Blue Eyes wrote:No wonder I'm eating my balls instead of sweets.

Skarjo's Scary Stories...
User avatar
Frank
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2
by Frank » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:47 am

It was actually developed by a lesbian who was looking for films for date night with female characters beyond just "she's the love interest for the main guy"

Image
User avatar
kerr9000
Member
Joined in 2013

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2
by kerr9000 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:50 am

I used to own the ideal film for her back when I was young it was called love muffins xxx 2 or something on those lines, it had a full female cast no mention of men and lots of talk about muffins and there bakery , hey maybe it could win an award...... (Granted it was a porno but it passed the test).

http://kerr9000.blogspot.co.uk/ For my Blog... https://www.youtube.com/user/kerr9000 for my YouTube channel. kerr9000_blog on Instagram. kerr9000 on Xbox, PS4 etc
User avatar
Skarjo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2
by Skarjo » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:30 am

I mean, she probably would quite like that in fairness.

Blue Eyes wrote:No wonder I'm eating my balls instead of sweets.

Skarjo's Scary Stories...
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2
by Moggy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:21 am

Skarjo wrote:I don't think that the Bechdel Test is meant to be taken as 'This Film is Feminist Approved'. It's more a measure of how well developed the female characters are in their own right.

Plenty of gooseberry fool movies pass the Bechdel test, and plenty of great ones don't. It just means the female characters are defined in their own right.


I know, I wasn't being 100% serious.

The Bechdel test is a pretty poor indicator of well developed female characters though. American Pie 2 technically passes it, because some of the female characters discuss clothes. :lol:

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Movie News/Discussion Thread 2
by Tafdolphin » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:14 am

The very point of it, or so I thought, was that it assigns the minimum possible definition to 'a developed character' (speaks about something other than the other gender, there's more than one of the gender to do this with, has a name). The fact that it exists, and that so many films cannot pass such a simple test, is the point of it.

Tomous wrote:Suggestion Disney have put the anthology Star Wars films on hold after Solo’s performance. Wouldn’t be a surprise.


Also, this is a smart move. I had no desire to go and see Solo, nor would I to see any of the thousand other movies they were planning on sharting out.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Errkal, Met and 47 guests