MP3 player in 2018

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostMP3 player in 2018
by Hime » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:29 pm

What do you use as an MP3 player in 2018? My grandad wants to copy some CD's to something he can use in his new car that doesn't have a CD player. He doesn't have a smart phone so I'm all out of idea's.

Can you burn CD's to a memory stick or something?

Image
User avatar
Grumpy David
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Cubeamania

PostRe: MP3 player in 2018
by Grumpy David » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:32 pm

Just get him a smartphone with an SD card slot and teach him how to use it.

User avatar
<]:^D
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: MP3 player in 2018
by <]:^D » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:34 pm

i still use my cowon j3.
if you want to play music but have your phone readily available its useful.

User avatar
Frank
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: MP3 player in 2018
by Frank » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:35 pm

iPods are still a thing, right? My dad uses my old iPod Classic in his car. You can probably get an iPod touch or something off ebay if you want something reasonably simple. Any idea what kind of car stereo he'd be playing it on? If he's got one that can take a memory stick there's every chance you can stick the tracks onto that it depends on what file formats the radio can play...

Image
User avatar
Hyperion
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Beyond the wall

PostRe: MP3 player in 2018
by Hyperion » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:55 pm

Depends what his new car has. Bluetooth, AUX, USB, SD card?

Image Image
User avatar
Lorn64
Member
Joined in 2018
Contact:

PostRe: MP3 player in 2018
by Lorn64 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:00 pm

SanDisk do decent wee MP3 players that aren't too expensive. They usually don't have a huge amount of internal storage on them, but if you feel that you need more, you can usually expand the storage using a microSD card.
You'll most likely be able to install Rockbox on it as well (which I have installed on mine and it makes the sound quality better and what not), but obviously that's not something that you have to do... It's just an option.

I have a Clip Zip that I got back in 2014 and I'm still happy enough with it. It's running well and I don't have any plans to replace it anytime soon.

Image
Image

Image ImageImage
User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: MP3 player in 2018
by Errkal » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:02 pm

I would get a cheap android phone, chuck an SD card into it and use that.

User avatar
OrangeRakoon
SONM Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: MP3 player in 2018
by OrangeRakoon » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:10 pm

Lor64 wrote:SanDisk do decent wee MP3 players that aren't too expensive. They usually don't have a huge amount of internal storage on them, but if you feel that you need more, you can usually expand the storage using a microSD card.
You'll most likely be able to install Rockbox on it as well (which I have installed on mine and it makes the sound quality better and what not), but obviously that's not something that you have to do... It's just an option.

I have a Clip Zip that I got back in 2014 and I'm still happy enough with it. It's running well and I don't have any plans to replace it anytime soon.


I have a Clip Plus, also with Rockbox, and it's perfect really. Got a 32GB micro SD card in there which is plenty of space.

Image

Might be a bit small/fiddly if your Grandad is anything like mine though

User avatar
Lorn64
Member
Joined in 2018
Contact:

PostRe: MP3 player in 2018
by Lorn64 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:15 pm

Oh, I had a Clip Plus before my Clip Zip. I never Rockboxed that one, but it was a great wee player.

Image
Image

Image ImageImage
User avatar
darksideby182
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: cove grove

PostRe: MP3 player in 2018
by darksideby182 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:22 pm

Recently started to use my old Ipod nano in my van as i found out it works on the USB port.

Last edited by darksideby182 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Wii U : punkeator
Xbox live : darksideby182
Psn : darksideby182
steam : Punkeator
Origin : Punkeator
Switch : 6739-1557-7191
User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: MP3 player in 2018
by Hime » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:40 pm

Frank wrote:iPods are still a thing, right? My dad uses my old iPod Classic in his car. You can probably get an iPod touch or something off ebay if you want something reasonably simple. Any idea what kind of car stereo he'd be playing it on? If he's got one that can take a memory stick there's every chance you can stick the tracks onto that it depends on what file formats the radio can play...

Not a clue bit it's a Kia sportage or something similar. I'm guessing he wants to choose tracks from the stereo rather than an MP3 which I'm assuming is possible through a USB connection?

Thanks for the replies.

Image
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: MP3 player in 2018
by Death's Head » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:24 pm

Hime wrote:What do you use as an MP3 player in 2018? My grandad wants to copy some CD's to something he can use in his new car that doesn't have a CD player. He doesn't have a smart phone so I'm all out of idea's.

Can you burn CD's to a memory stick or something?

Just convert them to MP3 format in Windows and copy the files to a USB stick. Job done.

...and yes, he will then be able to choose the tracks through the headset.

Yes?
User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: MP3 player in 2018
by Hime » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:35 pm

Death's Head wrote:
Hime wrote:What do you use as an MP3 player in 2018? My grandad wants to copy some CD's to something he can use in his new car that doesn't have a CD player. He doesn't have a smart phone so I'm all out of idea's.

Can you burn CD's to a memory stick or something?

Just convert them to MP3 format in Windows and copy the files to a USB stick. Job done.

...and yes, he will then be able to choose the tracks through the headset.

Thanks man.

Can you just burn a CD straight to the hard drive? I have no idea about this stuff anymore :fp: :oops:

Image
User avatar
OrangeRakoon
SONM Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: MP3 player in 2018
by OrangeRakoon » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:34 am

Hime wrote:Can you just burn a CD straight to the hard drive? I have no idea about this stuff anymore :fp: :oops:


Windows media player or VLC will both rip CDs

User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: MP3 player in 2018
by NickSCFC » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:42 am

Just get a cheap smartphone that has an SD card slot.

Image Image
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: MP3 player in 2018
by Preezy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:56 am

I've still got my second generation iPod which is plugged into my car stereo.

Image
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: RE: Re: MP3 player in 2018
by Death's Head » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:24 am

Hime wrote:
Death's Head wrote:
Hime wrote:What do you use as an MP3 player in 2018? My grandad wants to copy some CD's to something he can use in his new car that doesn't have a CD player. He doesn't have a smart phone so I'm all out of idea's.

Can you burn CD's to a memory stick or something?

Just convert them to MP3 format in Windows and copy the files to a USB stick. Job done.

...and yes, he will then be able to choose the tracks through the headset.

Thanks man.

Can you just burn a CD straight to the hard drive? I have no idea about this stuff anymore :fp: :oops:
If you insert a music CD into a PC running a recent version of Windows, it may auto start an app offering to rip it to the hard drive.

Yes?
User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: RE: Re: MP3 player in 2018
by lex-man » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:45 am

Death's Head wrote:
Hime wrote:
Death's Head wrote:
Hime wrote:What do you use as an MP3 player in 2018? My grandad wants to copy some CD's to something he can use in his new car that doesn't have a CD player. He doesn't have a smart phone so I'm all out of idea's.

Can you burn CD's to a memory stick or something?

Just convert them to MP3 format in Windows and copy the files to a USB stick. Job done.

...and yes, he will then be able to choose the tracks through the headset.

Thanks man.

Can you just burn a CD straight to the hard drive? I have no idea about this stuff anymore :fp: :oops:
If you insert a music CD into a PC running a recent version of Windows, it may auto start an app offering to rip it to the hard drive.


Make sure you change the default options or you'll end up with drm'd files.

User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: RE: Re: MP3 player in 2018
by Hime » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:15 pm

lex-man wrote:
Death's Head wrote:
Hime wrote:
Death's Head wrote:
Hime wrote:What do you use as an MP3 player in 2018? My grandad wants to copy some CD's to something he can use in his new car that doesn't have a CD player. He doesn't have a smart phone so I'm all out of idea's.

Can you burn CD's to a memory stick or something?

Just convert them to MP3 format in Windows and copy the files to a USB stick. Job done.

...and yes, he will then be able to choose the tracks through the headset.

Thanks man.

Can you just burn a CD straight to the hard drive? I have no idea about this stuff anymore :fp: :oops:
If you insert a music CD into a PC running a recent version of Windows, it may auto start an app offering to rip it to the hard drive.


Make sure you change the default options or you'll end up with drm'd files.

What should you change it too?

Image
User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: RE: Re: MP3 player in 2018
by lex-man » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:18 pm

Hime wrote:
lex-man wrote:
Death's Head wrote:
Hime wrote:
Death's Head wrote:
Hime wrote:What do you use as an MP3 player in 2018? My grandad wants to copy some CD's to something he can use in his new car that doesn't have a CD player. He doesn't have a smart phone so I'm all out of idea's.

Can you burn CD's to a memory stick or something?

Just convert them to MP3 format in Windows and copy the files to a USB stick. Job done.

...and yes, he will then be able to choose the tracks through the headset.

Thanks man.

Can you just burn a CD straight to the hard drive? I have no idea about this stuff anymore :fp: :oops:
If you insert a music CD into a PC running a recent version of Windows, it may auto start an app offering to rip it to the hard drive.


Make sure you change the default options or you'll end up with drm'd files.

What should you change it too?


Just make sure it doesn't act protection and is recording in MP3 or AAC encoding.

Edit: not sure it actually has DRM built in any more, although mine still tries to use WMA files by default.


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: abcd, Benzin, Bunni, Cuttooth, FatDaz, Garth, King Chaz, more heat than light, SandyCoin, Vermilion, Wrathy, Zaichik and 47 guests