My laptop and Empire: Total War added installation question

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
PCCD
Member
Joined in 2008

PostMy laptop and Empire: Total War added installation question
by PCCD » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:26 pm

I've been eyeing up buying Empire for my shiny laptop and I can't make head nor tale of whether my shiny laptop will run it a decent framerate with half decent graphics. Specs are -

Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.0Ghz
ATI Radeon Mobility HD 3650 (512MB I think)
3GB Ram

What'd you reckon?

Last edited by PCCD on Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Holly and Delusi wrote:PENALTY: Blatant lies. Five minutes in the Sin Bin.
User avatar
Pacman
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: My laptop and Empire: Total War
by Pacman » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:11 pm

The 1986 space trading and combat video game? Yes.

The 2009 turn-based strategy and real-time tactics computer game? Yes, according to the specs on Wikipedia.

Glowy69
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: B6

PostRe: My laptop and Empire: Total War
by Glowy69 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:06 pm

PCCD wrote:I've been eyeing up buying Empire for my shiny laptop and I can't make head nor tale of whether my shiny laptop will run it a decent framerate with half decent graphics. Specs are -

Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.0Ghz
ATI Radeon Mobility HD 3650 (512MB I think)
3GB Ram

What'd you reckon?


It should run fine mate.

I ran Rome on a laptop with 256mb graphics card with no problems.

Fabian Delph is a banana split.

Drumstick wrote:I'll go on record in stating that Villa won't finish inside the top 6 this season.

Image
User avatar
PCCD
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: My laptop and Empire: Total War
by PCCD » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:13 pm

Pacman wrote:The 1986 space trading and combat video game? Yes.

The 2009 turn-based strategy and real-time tactics computer game? Yes, according to the specs on Wikipedia.


:lol:

Crush the French day tomorrow then!

EDIT: I should've asked this earlier. When I'm comparing my processor spec to that of what a game needs do I double what I have to reflect the dual core (my 2.0Ghz DC = 4.0Ghz single core?) nature of my processor or is there some arcane math invented by Karlprof involved?

The Holly and Delusi wrote:PENALTY: Blatant lies. Five minutes in the Sin Bin.
User avatar
PCCD
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: My laptop and Empire: Total War
by PCCD » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:50 pm

So I've bought the game, followed the instructions, installed Steam and activated it using the product key. So my question is why is now downloading the game from Steam? I've bought the retail disc version so I don't get why it has to do that and any attempt to run the installer just installs Steam again and does nothing else. From where I'm standing I've bought just two coasters.

Someone explain this

The Holly and Delusi wrote:PENALTY: Blatant lies. Five minutes in the Sin Bin.
User avatar
Pacman
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: My laptop and Empire: Total War
by Pacman » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:53 pm

PCCD wrote:So I've bought the game, followed the instructions, installed Steam and activated it using the product key. So my question is why is now downloading the game from Steam? I've bought the retail disc version so I don't get why it has to do that and any attempt to run the installer just installs Steam again and does nothing else. From where I'm standing I've bought just two coasters.

Someone explain this

You can install it from the disc somehow if you put the disc in, or you can just let Steam do it. Which it probably already has, since you asked that yesterday :shifty:

Not sure about the processor speed question - I just double it but it's probably not exact.

User avatar
PCCD
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: My laptop and Empire: Total War
by PCCD » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:12 pm

Pacman wrote:
PCCD wrote:So I've bought the game, followed the instructions, installed Steam and activated it using the product key. So my question is why is now downloading the game from Steam? I've bought the retail disc version so I don't get why it has to do that and any attempt to run the installer just installs Steam again and does nothing else. From where I'm standing I've bought just two coasters.

Someone explain this

You can install it from the disc somehow if you put the disc in, or you can just let Steam do it. Which it probably already has, since you asked that yesterday :shifty:

Not sure about the processor speed question - I just double it but it's probably not exact.


Got it eventually. For some arcane reason it insisted on downloading the whole game from Steam instead of installing it from the discs. So I uninstalled it from the autorun menu (No I don't understand either), installed it again and everything was fine after the latest patch was downloaded. Just need to fiddle around with the graphics settings to get it right and everything will be golden.

Steam's an odd beast isn't it?

The Holly and Delusi wrote:PENALTY: Blatant lies. Five minutes in the Sin Bin.
User avatar
Pacman
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: My laptop and Empire: Total War added installation question
by Pacman » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:16 pm

I'm not sure what to think of Steam but it could be worse. And it's free, unlike xbox live 8-)

User avatar
PCCD
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: My laptop and Empire: Total War added installation question
by PCCD » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:57 pm

Less arsing about starting a game on XBL ;)

Quick question am I better off going with Shader Model 2 with higher settings or Shader Model 3 with lower settings?

The Holly and Delusi wrote:PENALTY: Blatant lies. Five minutes in the Sin Bin.

Return to “Stuff”