Currently Playing in 2017....

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
IAmTheSaladMan
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by IAmTheSaladMan » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:56 pm

Squinty wrote:I'm pretty sure this game is the anti fun. The sequels are so much of an improvement, it is startling.


Yeah, I'm playing 2 now and it's an incredible improvement, I found a lot at the first one nigh impossible without using the pause glitch on bosses. I beat 2 on an actual NES as a kid so I'm confident I can still beat it without save states.

EDIT: Well I've made it up to the third Wily stage using only password saves and not continuing. It's a bit of a pain that your weapon energy doesn't refil between these stages and that the password only covers the first 8 bosses being defeated.

Image
User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by Squinty » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:10 am

IAmTheSaladMan wrote:
Squinty wrote:I'm pretty sure this game is the anti fun. The sequels are so much of an improvement, it is startling.


Yeah, I'm playing 2 now and it's an incredible improvement, I found a lot at the first one nigh impossible without using the pause glitch on bosses. I beat 2 on an actual NES as a kid so I'm confident I can still beat it without save states.

EDIT: Well I've made it up to the third Wily stage using only password saves and not continuing. It's a bit of a pain that your weapon energy doesn't refil between these stages and that the password only covers the first 8 bosses being defeated.


I prefer 3 to 2. They really nail the physics, the music is godly and I find the level design much better. Plus you can cheese the game with Rush jet :slol:

There's a bit in 2 that I just can't understand. It's that wall boss where you have to use crash bombs in an exact order, if you don't, you can only kill yourself and return to the last checkpoint. Very, very stupid design.

User avatar
Lotus
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by Lotus » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:55 pm

Lightning Returns
Yeah, it's not great is it. I'm about 5 hours in, and it just feels so boring. I actually enjoyed the first two games, but the changes in this (battle system, the clock, etc) don't do anything for me and if anything make it less enjoyable. I kinda feel obliged to finish it as I've played through the rest of the trilogy, and I do want to see how it all ends, but it's gonna be a slog to get there. I'm hoping I can just do the bare minimum and blitz through, but the need to do quests to extend the clock and such makes me think that might not be as straightforward as I'd hoped.

Image ImageImage
User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by lex-man » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:50 pm

Back to playing Splunky. It's soooo good. I suck at it though, I don't have the patience to keep being careful for the whole run. As soon as you screw up once it's basically game over. Especially in the later levels.

User avatar
Godzilla
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by Godzilla » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:55 pm

Dynasty Warriors PS4 - ambition mode - wow, I love this. Same old dynasty warriors but with base bulding up and loads and loads of weapons, plus a new secondary weapon. It's such a simple and fun game. The risk reward of one more battle before returning to the base is brilliant.

Wish my image sig would work
User avatar
Jamo3103
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Manchester

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by Jamo3103 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:28 am

Robo Recall on PC - Absolutely brilliant fun, definitely one of the most impressive VR games I've played. Totally immersive and it both looks gorgeous and has a fantastic sense of humour too. You can pick enemies bullets out of the air and throw them back at them for crying out loud, it's just great!

Image Image
User avatar
IAmTheSaladMan
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by IAmTheSaladMan » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:38 am

After finishing Megaman 1 and 2 over the last few days I've started number 3 now. Two robot masters down and I'm enjoying it thus far however the controls seem a bit off in this one like they aren't quite as responsive as you need them to be. This is really evident in the Topman fight where you have to quickly turn around to shoot him after jumping his dash attack but before he launches spinning tops at you Megaman just doesn't turn around quite quick enough also there is some awful slowdown in places which wasn't an issue in the first two.

Image
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by Death's Head » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:12 am

About 10 hours into Mad Max. Mainly I've been doing the side quests of scavenging and taking over enemy bases. It is becoming a bit repetitive though so I may soon switch to just the main missions and get it completed. I'm playing this on the PC, but do the other versions have cut scenes you can't skip every time you fill your flask, fuel your car, have a drink, eat some food etc?

My initial view of a 7/10 game is unchanged.

Yes?
User avatar
Pedz
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by Pedz » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:35 pm

IAmTheSaladMan wrote:After finishing Megaman 1 and 2 over the last few days I've started number 3 now. Two robot masters down and I'm enjoying it thus far however the controls seem a bit off in this one like they aren't quite as responsive as you need them to be. This is really evident in the Topman fight where you have to quickly turn around to shoot him after jumping his dash attack but before he launches spinning tops at you Megaman just doesn't turn around quite quick enough also there is some awful slowdown in places which wasn't an issue in the first two.


I've actually struggled more with 3 than i did either 1 or 2, strawberry floating Snake Man's level can strawberry float off. And I think 3 has the worse slowdown out of all of the Megan games, I'm sure it's one of the many games speed runners call Lag The Game.

ImageImageImageImage.
Image
User avatar
IAmTheSaladMan
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by IAmTheSaladMan » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:48 pm

Pedz wrote:
IAmTheSaladMan wrote:After finishing Megaman 1 and 2 over the last few days I've started number 3 now. Two robot masters down and I'm enjoying it thus far however the controls seem a bit off in this one like they aren't quite as responsive as you need them to be. This is really evident in the Topman fight where you have to quickly turn around to shoot him after jumping his dash attack but before he launches spinning tops at you Megaman just doesn't turn around quite quick enough also there is some awful slowdown in places which wasn't an issue in the first two.


I've actually struggled more with 3 than i did either 1 or 2, strawberry floating Snake Man's level can strawberry float off. And I think 3 has the worse slowdown out of all of the Megan games, I'm sure it's one of the many games speed runners call Lag The Game.


I don't mind Snake Man's level apart from those flying platforms at the end which seem to knock you off just for standing on them, I just can't kill the boss yet.

The bit I call massive BS on is the platforms right before the Shadow Man fight. Until I figured out a strategy for luring out the flying enemies to make them easier to kill before jumping I just kept getting knocked into the water and killed.

Image
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by jawafour » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:58 pm

jawafour wrote:Sniper Elite III on PS4... It really is great fun; I enjoy sneaking around, marking enemies and taking them out from a distance. I'm currently in the middle of episode 5; just over half-way through the campaign...

I completed episode seven ("Demolition Man") tonight and it was terrific. I'm now set to tackle the final episode... I'm ready to take down these nazis and put an end to the terror! This has turned turned out to really enjoyable; unexpectedly good.

User avatar
IAmTheSaladMan
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by IAmTheSaladMan » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:33 am

Just one robot master to go in Mega Man 3 now, Needle Man. I'm noticing a theme in this game, each level isn't too hard but right before the boss it pulls the rug out from under you and ramps the difficulty up with a BS filled platforming section.

Last edited by IAmTheSaladMan on Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by lex-man » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:38 pm

Has anyone play the game Everything? It's crazy.

User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: rich_brad29

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by Rex Kramer » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:39 pm

Stardew Valley (PS4) - I'm completely hooked. The day cycle of 'get up, water crops, harvest, go and fish and/or mine' is all consuming. I can't put my finger on why this one has it's hooks in me and Harvest Moon on the 'cube never did. It's just so lovely and relaxing and cute and then while walking back through the village at night I find the resident hermit/homeless fella going through the bins. The bin owner comes out and I have to either condemn or defend the guy. Really interesting twist that I wasn't expecting, the whole seemed to be filled with standard videogame type characters up until then.

Image
Current castaway: Rax can be found here. All the previous contributors can be found here.
Tackling the pile of shame part 2 - http://grview.grcade.co.uk/articles/the-7-commandments-of-tackling-the-pile-of-shame/
User avatar
Lotus
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by Lotus » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:27 pm

Rex Kramer wrote:Stardew Valley (PS4) - I'm completely hooked. The day cycle of 'get up, water crops, harvest, go and fish and/or mine' is all consuming. I can't put my finger on why this one has it's hooks in me and Harvest Moon on the 'cube never did.

Have you played any of the other Harvest Moon games? I find them really engrossing as well, but haven't played the Gamecube version. Love the series though, and Stardew Valley is on my 'to play' list for sure.

I'm plugging away with Lightning Returns. It has got better, and I was actually enjoying it somewhat last night. I'm about 8 hours in now. Still miffed that they changed the battle system, really not a fan of these outfits and such. The Paradigm stuff was much better. Anyway, ploughing on with it, hope to sink some more time on tonight and tomorrow.

Image ImageImage
User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: rich_brad29

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by Rex Kramer » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:32 pm

Lotus wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:Stardew Valley (PS4) - I'm completely hooked. The day cycle of 'get up, water crops, harvest, go and fish and/or mine' is all consuming. I can't put my finger on why this one has it's hooks in me and Harvest Moon on the 'cube never did.

Have you played any of the other Harvest Moon games? I find them really engrossing as well, but haven't played the Gamecube version. Love the series though, and Stardew Valley is on my 'to play' list for sure.

I've played about 3 or 4 of them, my impression was the GC one was the best I'd played though the early ones are well regarded. I've always loved the idea of them, just never really got hooked on the actual game. Stardew Valley though is superb, it's as if someone wrote the version of Harvest Moon I always had in my head. I'd recommend it to anyone, it could be my GOTY.

Image
Current castaway: Rax can be found here. All the previous contributors can be found here.
Tackling the pile of shame part 2 - http://grview.grcade.co.uk/articles/the-7-commandments-of-tackling-the-pile-of-shame/
User avatar
Jamo3103
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Manchester

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by Jamo3103 » Tue May 02, 2017 8:58 am

Dishonored 2 - Despite having a couple of games started (and unfinished) I decided to make a start on this over the weekend. So far it's not really doing anything that differently to the first one, it feels very much like more of the same but that's not really a bad thing, it's a hell of a lot of fun travelling around and causing utter chaos. I'm crap at stealth so I'm just making the most of my ability to take out hordes of enemies.

Football Manager '17 - Was tempted not to buy this as I know what a time sink it is and how it normally prevents me playing anything else. The improvements over last years edition are subtle but they work well and one of my main issues from '16 (players complaining about lack of first team football, even when playing loads) seems to have been solved.

Image Image
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by Death's Head » Tue May 02, 2017 10:00 am

Still playing through Mad Max. Must be up to 20+ hours now. The side bits (scavenging, knocking down towers, raiding camps etc) become massively repetitive. Two missions in the main game (back to back) were races and these were frustrating as hell because the handling of the car in "race conditions" is appalling. Pretty damn close to giving up on the race in gas town but after about 6 or 7 attempts, managed to complete it. The game did pick up after this so hopefully will be good until the end.

Yes?
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by Tafdolphin » Tue May 02, 2017 10:50 am

Horizon: Zero Dawn

Hmm. This hasn't clicked with me yet. Bullet points ahoy:

- It's pretty, but not the "Oh wow this looks amazing!" of something like Uncharted 4. A lot of this is down to the faces which are beautifully rendered but awkwardly static. The lighting is great though
- The combat is either too easy or too hard. I picked the Silent Strike perk which allows me to one-shot any smaller dinos which is stupidly OP. But, fights against Sawtooths and Corruptors just feel like battles of attrition: electric trap, rope it down, pummel with arrows, electric trap, rope it down, pummel with arrows/critical hit with spear. The lack of a lock-on makes the Corrupter fights especially tiresome as they jump all over the shop. I'd read that combat was a real strong point, but so far (early days admittedly) it's not clicked.
- There's a lot of Ubisoft-esque icon farming.

Still, the story is really interesting, the crafting is good, the world is lovely and the quests are varied in their theming. It's good and I'm enjoying it, but I'm not "9.5/10" enjoying it.

Goat wrote:Guy probably decided not to show up because he heard Taffy was a Cow-exploding fantasist mentalist.

Bloggy blog blog blog.
User avatar
Trelliz
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by Trelliz » Tue May 02, 2017 10:15 pm

Killzone Shadow Fall - PS4

I picked this up for about a fiver from CEX in the interest of exploring more platform exclusives i'm very late to the party for. It looks great but the framerate suffers for it - i went for the 30fps lock in the end as i thought consistency was the key but even then it doesn't feel steady. I'm not hugely au-fait with the broader killzone story beyond there are two sides who war-fight each other but now have to live on the same planet and things aren't all as they seem. The drone you have with you has some interesting functionality too beyond just shooting dudes; shield mode provides cover if you get caught out in the open and the zipwire mode is a neat feature.

Tragic Magic wrote:RTCW is a mega plex of origami, you young bugger, enjoy the taste.
Women are so lovely.

Never pre-order or pre-purchase a console, game or season pass.

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 43 guests