Currently Playing in 2018....

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2018....
by Tafdolphin » Mon May 21, 2018 8:09 am

Inspired by
jawafour wrote:
(and having watched the first two films last week) I've been playing Mad Max.

Pros:
- It looks lovely, much nicer than I would have thought for a mid-budget game
- The car combat is brilliant and is only getting better the more upgrades I unlock
- The customisability of the Magnum Opus is insanely fun and the main reason I'm still playing
- The engine sound effects are *chef's kiss*

Cons
- It's quite repetitive: destroy this convoy, pull down this scarecrow, kill this sniper etc etc
- The car handling, bizarrely, is a bit rubbish. There's no handbrake button as far as I can see, so single car showdowns tend to devolve into the two of you slowly circling each other until one gets a bead on the other.
- The characters and world are nothing like the films. Some examples; it's meant to be Australia but all the characters have US accents (apart from Max and a minority of NPCs). Most of the original characters are super whacky and not in keeping with the universe at all. The terminology lacks the nuance and originality of the films (Scabrous Scrotus? Really?)
- The on-foot combat is ripped directly from the Arkham series (like every WB game) but is nowhere near as fun
- The bases are a strawberry floating pain to take down. [Transfer Tanks Destroyed 1/34] Urgh.
- It uses the Ubisoft 'tower' mechanic but every time, every time, forces you to watch a ponderously slow animation of Max riding a balloon. It's infuriating.

It's definitely a 7/10 sort of game, but I'm enjoying it. Just pressing the accelerate trigger and hearing that engine roar is enough for the moment. I need to try out the photo mode too.

Last edited by Tafdolphin on Mon May 21, 2018 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2018....
by Gemini73 » Mon May 21, 2018 8:27 am

Tafdolphin wrote:Inspired by
jawafour wrote:
(and having watching the first two films last week) I've been playing Mad Max.

Pros:
- It looks lovely, much nicer than I would have thought for a mid-budget game
- The car combat is brilliant and is only getting better the more upgrades I unlock
- The customisability of the Magnum Opus is insanely fun and the main reason I'm still playing
- The engine sound effects are *chef's kiss*

Cons
- It's quite repetitive: destroy this convoy, pull down this scarecrow, kill this sniper etc etc
- The car handling, bizarrely, is a bit rubbish. There's no handbrake button as far as I can see, so single car showdowns tend to devolve into the two of you slowly circling each other until one gets a bead on the other.
- The characters and world are nothing like the films. Some examples; it's meant to be Australia but all the characters have US accents (apart from Max and a minority of NPCs). Most of the original characters are super whacky and not in keeping with the universe at all. The terminology lacks the nuance and originality of the films (Scabrous Scrotus? Really?)
- The on-foot combat is ripped directly from the Arkham series (like every WB game) but is nowhere near as fun
- The bases are a strawberry floating pain to take down. [Transfer Tanks Destroyed 1/34] Urgh.
- It uses the Ubisoft 'tower' mechanic but every time, every time, forces you to watch a ponderously slow animation of Max riding a balloon. It's infuriating.

It's definitely a 7/10 sort of game, but I'm enjoying it. Just pressing the accelerate trigger and hearing that engine roar is enough for the moment. I need to try out the photo mode too.


Can't argue with a lot of those Cons, Taf. Some are less infuriating than others, but the ponderous balloon moments are mad inducing! I get it happening the first time you go up in a balloon, but every time with no option to skip the scene? Gah!

But there is a lot to like about Mad Max, it's a lot of fun, and yes the roar of the engine puts a smile on my face every time. I hope they've used it in Rage 2.

“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here".
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2018....
by Gemini73 » Mon May 21, 2018 9:09 am

Getting in a few stages of WRC 5 before I head into work. :)

“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here".
User avatar
Trelliz
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2018....
by Trelliz » Mon May 21, 2018 9:19 am

Gemini73 wrote:Crash Time 3 looks a lot of fun. Are they still available?


Crash Time 3 is on steam, the rest are a bit harder to track down either on pc or console, however the developers closed 4 years ago so 'acquiring' them by other means nowadays has less of a moral sting to it now than perhaps before, also they appear to be pretty much standalone so playing the rest probably isn't necessary.

Tragic Magic wrote:It's so pink when he bangs it on teh floor. Pi mm p boy pink.

Never pre-order or pre-purchase a console, game or season pass.
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2018....
by Gemini73 » Mon May 21, 2018 9:25 am

Trelliz wrote:
Gemini73 wrote:Crash Time 3 looks a lot of fun. Are they still available?


Crash Time 3 is on steam, the rest are a bit harder to track down either on pc or console, however the developers closed 4 years ago so 'acquiring' them by other means nowadays has less of a moral sting to it now than perhaps before, also they appear to be pretty much standalone so playing the rest probably isn't necessary.


Cheers bud, I'll take a look.

“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here".
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2018....
by jawafour » Mon May 21, 2018 9:28 am

Tafdolphin wrote:(Mad Max)

Gemini73 wrote:(Mad Max)

Unite... Mad Max crew! :toot: .

Yeah, there are some clunky aspects and I can understand thst the religion of the main gameplay loop may not suit everyone. I was totally invested in it though, hunting down everything everywhere! I still haven't got around to trying the Batman games but, for me, the fighting in Max was wonderfully solid and crunchy - more so with the terrific sound effects emanating from the Dual Shock 4 speaker.

I agree about certain aspects of driving. I feel that the vehicles are great for steering and controlling but the timed race sections are pretty tough and annoying and so I left those. The car weapon aspects are brilliant, though - the harpoon is incredible for tackling not only other vehicles but enemies in camps!

7/10 is probably a fair score and I suspect that many folk would agree on that. In my eyes it's a solid 9/10 as the look, feel and gameplay ticks all of my personal taste boxes. I miss Chumbucket and will return for another playthrough at some point.

Rage 2 certainly looks to contain a number of ideas and styles from Max, so I'm intrigued to see how that'll turn out.

User avatar
Seven
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Ayrshire, Scotland
Contact:

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2018....
by Seven » Mon May 21, 2018 8:21 pm

So I saw some game called Cleansuit on Steam where it's text adventure where you had to try escape/survive the encounter with serial killer which I curiously bought.

It's actually pretty good!... Just damn scary. :lol: :cry: I'll be playing with my boyfriend Doeragynn later and will be streaming it on Twitch as well.

Image
Nintendo ID: SevenFisher (Nickname: Seven)
User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2018....
by Robbo-92 » Mon May 21, 2018 9:41 pm

We'll I've just caught my third shiny Pokémon (not counting the Gyarados to course) in the years I've been playing, just ran into a level 9 Smeargle.

Image

Image
User avatar
Frank
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2018....
by Frank » Tue May 22, 2018 2:59 pm

Now I've actually got a Wii I'm going back to a few of the games that I missed out on over the years, so I'm currently working through Skyward Sword, Beat the Beat, and Wario Ware :shifty: Got to the Tiny Wario stages in Wario Ware, but I can't do the boss stage at all. It's one of those really strawberry floating annoying stages where it doesn't tell you what you're doing wrong so it's absolutely impossible to actually learn without just going through the whole 19 stage level all over again :x Sixth time now I've gone through it and failed at the same moment (the bit where you point out to the side). Got through it once, then failed the next time you do that same move. I've got no strawberry floating idea what I'm doing wrong :slol: :fp:



All I want to do is unlock the multiplayer. Shocking.

Image
User avatar
imbusydoctorwho
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2018....
by imbusydoctorwho » Thu May 24, 2018 2:32 pm

Currently going through Hidden Agenda for the PS4 and it's actually a pretty decent crime drama with some rather different outcomes. The games main gimmick of using your phone actually works pretty well even if the hit detection feels a little off. I haven't played the multiplayer as I'm forever alone but I should imagine it's works well.

User avatar
Jazzem
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2018....
by Jazzem » Thu May 24, 2018 2:43 pm

Frank wrote:Now I've actually got a Wii I'm going back to a few of the games that I missed out on over the years, so I'm currently working through Skyward Sword, Beat the Beat, and Wario Ware :shifty: Got to the Tiny Wario stages in Wario Ware, but I can't do the boss stage at all. It's one of those really strawberry floating annoying stages where it doesn't tell you what you're doing wrong so it's absolutely impossible to actually learn without just going through the whole 19 stage level all over again :x Sixth time now I've gone through it and failed at the same moment (the bit where you point out to the side). Got through it once, then failed the next time you do that same move. I've got no strawberry floating idea what I'm doing wrong :slol: :fp:



All I want to do is unlock the multiplayer. Shocking.


Bahaha oh god, I was on skype with friends while playing this level and my headset fell off and got tied around me :lol:

Multiplayer is fun in Smooth Moves though I wish they offered modes w/support for multiple remotes, does limit it a bit. I'm more partial to the Gamecube game's multi myself. Stillm every console Wario Ware, including Game & Wario, is a pretty darn uproarious time in a party setting

Ste
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: ScouseStevmed
Contact:

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2018....
by Ste » Thu May 24, 2018 11:05 pm

Isaac strawberry floating Frost!

User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2018....
by Robbo-92 » Thu May 24, 2018 11:32 pm

Still Ultra Moon, rather enjoying it as well :) Fire trial proving a pain considering all my team are still in their first stage bar Pikachu. Downsides of using dragon Pokémon I suppose, should be a good end to the game though!

One question though, Alolan Raichu or Kanto Raichu? Can easily bank it into an older game to get normal Raichu, veering Alolan Raichu though as I've never used it before and it's typing so good. I could breed one of my lightning rod Pikachus to use in the run of Moon I'm planning after my Ultra Moon run, to be a Kanto Raichu so it's ability stays intact.

Image

Image
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2018....
by Gemini73 » Sun May 27, 2018 7:24 am

AC Origins.

Put in just over 30 hours now and while my opinion of the game hasn't changed that Ubisoft fatigue is beginning to kick in. I've reached level 26, unlocked three quarters of the map, completed at least 70% of side quests in these areas, solved a few riddles and only have two more main targets to assassinate (according to my target list), and am near the point of killing one. Once I've killed him I'm going to take a break and continue with something else.

AC Origins is a fantastic game, but I do wonder why these devs feel the need to make their games so frigging big. It's simply not necessary to tell their story.

Going to have another crack at Until Dawn this evening. Didn't get on with it on my first attempt, but after much badgering by Taf I'll give it another crack of the whip.

“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here".
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2018....
by Death's Head » Sun May 27, 2018 10:01 am

Just play it until something significant happens and don't stop until then. If you play 2-3 hours, unless you really hate the horror genre I would be very surprised if you still decided to give up on it.

Yes?
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2018....
by Death's Head » Sun May 27, 2018 11:07 am

Next up is Horizon Zero Dawn. Had it since Christmas and today is the day I start! Installing it. Apparently this will take 18 minutes, then just need to install the update (which hopefully will be downloaded during the install). Still could be worse, I remember back in the BBC Micro days you could have to wait 5 minutes to play a game. Hang on.....

Yes?
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2018....
by Death's Head » Sun May 27, 2018 7:02 pm

Now about an hour or so into HZD. The start was a bit slow due to excessive cut scenes and wasn't sure it would hold my interest but now it has got started, seems like it is quite good.

Yes?
User avatar
Pilch
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2018....
by Pilch » Sun May 27, 2018 9:46 pm

First post in what...eight years? I've lost count. Anyway...

Subnautica - Amazing. I've played 80 hours and still haven't finished it. Turns into a bit of a resource hunt at times but that's more than made up for by the exploration, base building and engaging sci-fi story.

Into The Breach - Also amazing. Got 60 hours out of this one before I'd pretty much done everything. Not much incentive to go back now. Hopefully we'll see FTL-style extra content before too long.

Opus Magnum - Just starting on this one. SpaceChem is one of my all-time favourite games and this seems like it'll be just as much of a head-scratcher and a time sink. The only problem is none of my Steam friends play it so I'm missing that vital competitive element. If you play, please add 'Pilchardo'!

User avatar
Karl
Seyana!
Seyana!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2018....
by Karl » Sun May 27, 2018 9:49 pm

Pilch wrote:First post in what...eight years? I've lost count. Anyway...

Good to see you again Pilch!

User avatar
Buffalo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2018....
by Buffalo » Sun May 27, 2018 10:25 pm

Some boy! :wub:

Image

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Frank, kerr9000, Parksey and 35 guests