Currently Playing in 2017....

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
IAmTheSaladMan
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by IAmTheSaladMan » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:42 am

Trelliz wrote:Syndicate (2012 FPS, xbox 360)

I picked this up on a whim as part of a 3 for 2 preowned after hearing it wasn't terrible and I mostly agree. The tech powers you have and the combo-like system to power them up encourage you to be fast and creative with your shooty-bang-bang tactics, making it more interesting than a normal hurr durr run and gun shooter.

It is a very 2012 game; slightly too wobbly first person camera, mash x to open doors/grates, a basic upgrade tree with largely passive benefits and a now irrelevant co-op mode tacked on for good measure. Its definitely a 6-7 hour one-and-done game which i have no intention of holding on to after the fact, but i'll definitely stick with it to the end.


I got bored with that quite early on. Being from Starbreeze I was expecting something akin to Chronicles of Riddick or The Darkness rather than a typical FPS.

Image
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by Tafdolphin » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:47 am

IAmTheSaladMan wrote:
Trelliz wrote:Syndicate (2012 FPS, xbox 360)

I picked this up on a whim as part of a 3 for 2 preowned after hearing it wasn't terrible and I mostly agree. The tech powers you have and the combo-like system to power them up encourage you to be fast and creative with your shooty-bang-bang tactics, making it more interesting than a normal hurr durr run and gun shooter.

It is a very 2012 game; slightly too wobbly first person camera, mash x to open doors/grates, a basic upgrade tree with largely passive benefits and a now irrelevant co-op mode tacked on for good measure. Its definitely a 6-7 hour one-and-done game which i have no intention of holding on to after the fact, but i'll definitely stick with it to the end.


I got bored with that quite early on. Being from Starbreeze I was expecting something akin to Chronicles of Riddick or The Darkness rather than a typical FPS.


Ditto. This was not the same Starbreeze however. If memory serves most of the talent had left at this point, going on to found MachineGames who would eventually make the new Wolfenstein games.

Goat wrote:Guy probably decided not to show up because he heard Taffy was a Cow-exploding fantasist mentalist.

Bloggy blog blog blog.
Newsletter!
User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by Brerlappin » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:06 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:
IAmTheSaladMan wrote:
Trelliz wrote:Syndicate (2012 FPS, xbox 360)

I picked this up on a whim as part of a 3 for 2 preowned after hearing it wasn't terrible and I mostly agree. The tech powers you have and the combo-like system to power them up encourage you to be fast and creative with your shooty-bang-bang tactics, making it more interesting than a normal hurr durr run and gun shooter.

It is a very 2012 game; slightly too wobbly first person camera, mash x to open doors/grates, a basic upgrade tree with largely passive benefits and a now irrelevant co-op mode tacked on for good measure. Its definitely a 6-7 hour one-and-done game which i have no intention of holding on to after the fact, but i'll definitely stick with it to the end.


I got bored with that quite early on. Being from Starbreeze I was expecting something akin to Chronicles of Riddick or The Darkness rather than a typical FPS.


Ditto. This was not the same Starbreeze however. If memory serves most of the talent had left at this point, going on to found MachineGames who would eventually make the new Wolfenstein games.


Oddly enough tho, Starbreeze did go on to make Brothers: Tale of 2 sons, one of the greatest experiences ive ever come across in gaming, so they clearly have a lot of talent left at that studio

User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by Squinty » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:03 pm

Brerlappin wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:
IAmTheSaladMan wrote:
Trelliz wrote:Syndicate (2012 FPS, xbox 360)

I picked this up on a whim as part of a 3 for 2 preowned after hearing it wasn't terrible and I mostly agree. The tech powers you have and the combo-like system to power them up encourage you to be fast and creative with your shooty-bang-bang tactics, making it more interesting than a normal hurr durr run and gun shooter.

It is a very 2012 game; slightly too wobbly first person camera, mash x to open doors/grates, a basic upgrade tree with largely passive benefits and a now irrelevant co-op mode tacked on for good measure. Its definitely a 6-7 hour one-and-done game which i have no intention of holding on to after the fact, but i'll definitely stick with it to the end.


I got bored with that quite early on. Being from Starbreeze I was expecting something akin to Chronicles of Riddick or The Darkness rather than a typical FPS.


Ditto. This was not the same Starbreeze however. If memory serves most of the talent had left at this point, going on to found MachineGames who would eventually make the new Wolfenstein games.


Oddly enough tho, Starbreeze did go on to make Brothers: Tale of 2 sons, one of the greatest experiences ive ever come across in gaming, so they clearly have a lot of talent left at that studio


Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons :wub:

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by Tafdolphin » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:27 pm

Squinty wrote:
Brerlappin wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:
IAmTheSaladMan wrote:
Trelliz wrote:Syndicate (2012 FPS, xbox 360)

I picked this up on a whim as part of a 3 for 2 preowned after hearing it wasn't terrible and I mostly agree. The tech powers you have and the combo-like system to power them up encourage you to be fast and creative with your shooty-bang-bang tactics, making it more interesting than a normal hurr durr run and gun shooter.

It is a very 2012 game; slightly too wobbly first person camera, mash x to open doors/grates, a basic upgrade tree with largely passive benefits and a now irrelevant co-op mode tacked on for good measure. Its definitely a 6-7 hour one-and-done game which i have no intention of holding on to after the fact, but i'll definitely stick with it to the end.


I got bored with that quite early on. Being from Starbreeze I was expecting something akin to Chronicles of Riddick or The Darkness rather than a typical FPS.


Ditto. This was not the same Starbreeze however. If memory serves most of the talent had left at this point, going on to found MachineGames who would eventually make the new Wolfenstein games.


Oddly enough tho, Starbreeze did go on to make Brothers: Tale of 2 sons, one of the greatest experiences ive ever come across in gaming, so they clearly have a lot of talent left at that studio


Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons :wub:


Fair doos, didn't realise that was Starbreeze. Obviously a very different studio these days.

Goat wrote:Guy probably decided not to show up because he heard Taffy was a Cow-exploding fantasist mentalist.

Bloggy blog blog blog.
Newsletter!
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by Death's Head » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:23 pm

Just started RE4 on the PC. The camera. :dread:

Feel like it is giving me motion sickness so £3 down the drain. :x

Yes?
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently Playing at Halloween 2017....
by Tafdolphin » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:48 am

In the spirit of the season I've started Alien Isolation again. How does it still look so good? I mean besides the dodgy character midwife the game still looks damn near perfect

Goat wrote:Guy probably decided not to show up because he heard Taffy was a Cow-exploding fantasist mentalist.

Bloggy blog blog blog.
Newsletter!
User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by lex-man » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:05 am

Tafdolphin wrote:
IAmTheSaladMan wrote:
Trelliz wrote:Syndicate (2012 FPS, xbox 360)

I picked this up on a whim as part of a 3 for 2 preowned after hearing it wasn't terrible and I mostly agree. The tech powers you have and the combo-like system to power them up encourage you to be fast and creative with your shooty-bang-bang tactics, making it more interesting than a normal hurr durr run and gun shooter.

It is a very 2012 game; slightly too wobbly first person camera, mash x to open doors/grates, a basic upgrade tree with largely passive benefits and a now irrelevant co-op mode tacked on for good measure. Its definitely a 6-7 hour one-and-done game which i have no intention of holding on to after the fact, but i'll definitely stick with it to the end.


I got bored with that quite early on. Being from Starbreeze I was expecting something akin to Chronicles of Riddick or The Darkness rather than a typical FPS.


Ditto. This was not the same Starbreeze however. If memory serves most of the talent had left at this point, going on to found MachineGames who would eventually make the new Wolfenstein games.


The multi-player was the best part of that game if memory serves. You could be really sneaky and hack the environment to attack players from behind or above.

User avatar
Trelliz
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Currently Playing at Halloween 2017....
by Trelliz » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:17 am

Well i've sacked it off now, i got to the bullet spongey enemies you have to hack their shields before you can attack them and fighting them and a load of other guys in a load of dull corridors put me right off. I read the plot and it sets up for a sequel which has never come, and i'd rather play something else.

Tragic Magic wrote:RTCW is a mega plex of origami, you young bugger, enjoy the taste.
Women are so lovely.

Never pre-order or pre-purchase a console, game or season pass.
User avatar
IAmTheSaladMan
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: Currently Playing at Halloween 2017....
by IAmTheSaladMan » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:10 pm

Lords of the Fallen on PS4. I want to platinum this as it seems doable. I’d forgotten how frustrating acquiring some of the enhanced boss weapons can be. Trying to beat First Warden with no damage is a right ball ache because his reach is ludicrous.

EDIT: nailed it

Image
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Currently Playing at Halloween 2017....
by Death's Head » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:29 pm

Back on Lords of the Fallen, banana split boss at the graveyard is no more.

Yes?
User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently Playing at Halloween 2017....
by Gemini73 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:52 pm

Death's Head wrote:Back on Lords of the Fallen, banana split boss at the graveyard is no more.


Yes! Nice going. :toot:

Time to go visit the blacksmith.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently Playing at Halloween 2017....
by Tafdolphin » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:06 pm

Goddamn Alien Isolation is still good. Managed to get through the first hour (probably the scariest of the lot, what with you not having the motion tracker) and the Alien is now fully unleashed. It's such an oddity of a game: on one hand super frustrating and largely luck based, but on the other it's an incredibly tense game with an unrivalled atmosphere and sense of achievement. Every single thing you achieve feels like a milestone simply because that strawberry floating thing makes everything so tough.

Love it.

Goat wrote:Guy probably decided not to show up because he heard Taffy was a Cow-exploding fantasist mentalist.

Bloggy blog blog blog.
Newsletter!
User avatar
CitizenErased
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Currently Playing at Halloween 2017....
by CitizenErased » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:34 pm

Mario Odyssey mixed with Battlegrounds, an excellent combo I might add. Yet to touch Wolfenstein 2 :fp:

User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Currently Playing at Halloween 2017....
by Ironhide » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:40 pm

Back in another ARPG mood at the moment and currently playing Titan Quest but seeing as Halloween is approaching I think I'll be switching to Grim Dawn as it has a suitable horror-esque theme (plus I've just bought the expansion DLC).

Image
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Currently Playing at Halloween 2017....
by jawafour » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:45 pm

PES 2018 has been put on hold whilst I’ve been engrossed in Super Mario Odyssey. Alongside that, the new Monster Pack for Lego Worlds is delivering my spooky gaming for Halloween.

Edit: Oh! And the Mario Kart Monday and Tuesday GRcade nights, too :wub: .

Last edited by jawafour on Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
IAmTheSaladMan
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: Currently Playing at Halloween 2017....
by IAmTheSaladMan » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:04 pm

Just downed the Champion in Lords of the Fallen. I’m finding the rogue’s Stab spell to be an absolute godsend, particularly in that last boss fight. I think I have another of those portals to look for before I move on to the next area.

Image
User avatar
dmin
Member
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Currently Playing at Halloween 2017....
by dmin » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:48 pm

Playing The Last of Us Remastered; just made it out of The Suburbs. Just Left Behind afterwards and then that's me ready for the sequel next year!

Image
User avatar
Lotus
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently Playing at Halloween 2017....
by Lotus » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:57 pm

I needed a break from Xenoblade so I went back to Tomb Raider Anniversary on the 360.

strawberry floating hell, this game riles me like nothing else. The controls are unbelievably gooseberry fool; unresponsive as strawberry float, with Lara constantly doing completely the opposite of what you want her to, or nothing at all. Both equally frustrating, and in a game that frequently asks for pinpoint accuracy and timing when it comes to jumps, this doesn't make for a good combination. Also, some of the puzzles are so drawn out, repetitive and tedious, that trying and failing because of the controls and having to re-do whole sections is controller-smashingly annoying. There is a checkpoint system which helps, but seriously, it's like the developers were going out of their way to make the most annoying game possible.

I gave up a few months ago because of dying and the game restarting me miles from what I'd done, and I'm close to giving up again because of the controls and the tedium of it all. I've come so far though, I feel I need to finish it. I'm pretty close to the end now, so will just grit my teeth and get through.

Image ImageImage
User avatar
Skarjo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently Playing at Halloween 2017....
by Skarjo » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:32 am

Downloaded SOMA from the Steam Halloween Sale.

It's good so far.

Blue Eyes wrote:No wonder I'm eating my balls instead of sweets.

Skarjo's Scary Stories...

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 41 guests