Currently Playing in 2018....

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Jazzem
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by Jazzem » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:12 pm

IAmTheSaladMan wrote:
Jazzem wrote:Grabbed by the Ghoulies used the right stick for combat right? Man imagine the alternative timeline where that became the standard ._.


It’s funny how certain control schemes take off but others don’t. I remember magazines at the time saying the twin stick controls in Alien Resurrection were odd yet they are the standard for console FPS games now.


Ha yeah, there's a pretty infamous Gamespot quote for that:

Image

Does make you wonder what the initial thinking behind the dual anolog setup was with Sony, how they expected the second stick to be used and what ultimately pushed them to implement it. Hell, their flagship game for it, Ape Escape, used it in a similar way to Grabbed by the Ghoulies.

User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by Death's Head » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:38 pm

Just started Dead Rising 4 on the PC. Can't say I'm overly keen on the new look Frank, but OK so far (only just got a small way into it but nothing stands out).

Yes?
User avatar
Seven
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Ayrshire, Scotland
Contact:

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by Seven » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:00 am

Finally started Mass Effect (new one) as I was in mood for sci fi world, and it seemed like good time to play it.

I'm actually enjoying it lot more than I thought, although that mostly boils down to story, sidequests, characters and lore itself. The gameplay is fun but I feel it's bit too easy? I'm pure biotics (first time in any ME game) and I'm playing on normal, i know I'm still early in (ish - just recovered Eos) but even ME1-3 gave me some trouble early on.

Hoping it gets bit more challenging later on, but for now it's fun and hasn't offended me enough to stop playing. Glad I didn't pick it up at launch, though!

Image
Nintendo ID: SevenFisher (Nickname: Seven)
User avatar
Trelliz
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by Trelliz » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:23 am

The Witcher 2 - PC

Enjoying this so far, it really feels like a good story, which a lot of more open games fail to do. Looking forward to getting to W3 at some point.

Need for Speed Underground - PC/Dolphin

It is sad to see how far this series has slumped in recent times, i guess making econo-box cars look hideously garish isn't cool anymore, but this is a great blast from the past that i only vaguely remember playing at the time and probably didn't fully appreciate.

Tragic Magic wrote:It's so pink when he bangs it on teh floor. Pi mm p boy pink.

Never pre-order or pre-purchase a console, game or season pass.
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by Peter Crisp » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:05 pm

I just started Sunset Overdrive and it's pretty great.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by Photek » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:18 pm

Peter Crisp wrote:I just started Sunset Overdrive and it's pretty great.

Glad you like it, it's somewhat of a mar-mite game (in this forum only, it reviewed well). I genuinely think it's one of Xbox One's best exclusives.

Image
User avatar
jiggles
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: pyxl-8

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by jiggles » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:31 pm

I finished Danganronpa V3 last night and I think it has the most mindfuck ending I've seen in a game since MGS2

Streaming: YouTube Gaming | Tweeting: Twitter
User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by Squinty » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:04 pm

Photek wrote:
Peter Crisp wrote:I just started Sunset Overdrive and it's pretty great.

Glad you like it, it's somewhat of a mar-mite game (in this forum only, it reviewed well). I genuinely think it's one of Xbox One's best exclusives.


I loved this game. The humor could turn people off, I guess.

I'm still playing Outland and chipping away at Layton and the Azran Legacy. Really enjoying both.

User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by Ironhide » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:08 pm

Divinity: Original Sin 2

Really liking it so far except for the 2nd act being so effing long, 31 hours in and I'm still on the island prison, I also think I might have made a bad choice of party members and classes as I'm finding the combat quite tough at times although that might just be because I've wandered into an area with difficult enemies.

I got utterly destroyed by a witch in a cave yesterday when I decided to do a bit of exploring and suspect I wasn't meant to go there just yet.

Image
User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by Brerlappin » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:43 pm

Just started Aviary Attorney. Having never played any of the phoenix wright games so i cant compare, but this is charming, funny, and has great characters. Sparrowson is awesome.

User avatar
jiggles
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: pyxl-8

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by jiggles » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:04 pm

Ironhide wrote:Divinity: Original Sin 2

Really liking it so far except for the 2nd act being so effing long, 31 hours in and I'm still on the island prison, I also think I might have made a bad choice of party members and classes as I'm finding the combat quite tough at times although that might just be because I've wandered into an area with difficult enemies.

I got utterly destroyed by a witch in a cave yesterday when I decided to do a bit of exploring and suspect I wasn't meant to go there just yet.


Strolling into an encounter you're not levelled for is a common occurrence, and it never really goes away. As a rule, I'd avoid fights where the guys are more than 1 level above you, but even then, you'll often have to wring a good strategy out of a handful of failures.

There's something about the try, fail, repeat gameplay loop that is incredibly appealing to me. It's why I love this, it's why I love time trials in racing games, and it's why I love Souls games. The constant refinement of a process, shooting for perfection. Achieving something that seemed impossible through a series of incremental improvements.

It might seem counter-intuitive to be constantly reloading saves in a game where every choice is supposed to have consequences, but this isn't save scumming. I'm shooting for perfection, but never getting there. I don't undo decisions, and when I eventually beat an encounter, I live with it. As messy and costly as it could be, because that's the story of my characters. The only bit I redo is where I'm finding a path that lets the story continue.

Helluva game.

Streaming: YouTube Gaming | Tweeting: Twitter
User avatar
Trelliz
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by Trelliz » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:43 pm

Nail'd - PC

I've had this kicking around my racing folder on steam so thought i'd give it a proper go and holy gooseberry fool this game is an experience. It's a full-on arcade racer that sends you on a mad thrill-ride of near constant verticality:



You're either powering up, down or over massive canyons and other environments through soaring drops and massive ramps with multiple routes through each track. It's pretty intense and I can only play it for a few races of what seems to be quite a short campaign at a time before my eyes overload from everything that's going on.

Tragic Magic wrote:It's so pink when he bangs it on teh floor. Pi mm p boy pink.

Never pre-order or pre-purchase a console, game or season pass.
User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by Alvin Flummux » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:28 pm

Currently playing Star Wars: Battlefront II.

For all the hate it gets, and all the flaws I can see, I'm having such a great time with it. I can't wait to see where it is a year from now - what new content there'll be etc. Hoping for several new maps.

Send me a postcard when you get to where you're going...
User avatar
Lotus
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by Lotus » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:18 pm

Return to Castle Wolfenstein (PC)
Have gone back to this after a bit of a break. Got stuck on one of the levels though where it just wouldn't let me progress. Not sure if it's a glitch or what, but it seems plenty of other people have had the same problem. So I tried to skip to the next level, but it kept crashing. So I had to skip to the one after that. Will see how it plays out from here. Still enjoying it.

Far Cry 3 (360)
Started this recently. Really enjoyed it to start with, but now a bit of fatigue is starting to set in around the size of the map and the sheer amount of stuff to collect. A lot of the side missions are very repetitive as well, almost to the point of being exactly the same just in a different part of the map. Might just follow the main story missions now and see how much patience I have at the end for collecting stuff/doing side missions.

Image
User avatar
Godzilla
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by Godzilla » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:14 am

Dead Rising 4 - PS4 - after watching a lot of reviews I was expecting the worst game ever. But it's actually pretty good fun, the lack fo time allows me to explore and level up, the keys, lockers, safe houses and blue prints are all well done and give me something to work towards, tons of weapons to craft and some serious amounts of zombies.

The only negatives are the lack of the amazing steam roller motor bike from DR3, the lack of upgradable weapons (DR3) had a fog horn that on upgrade 3 would wipe out anything, and the messy map, it's genuinely hard to find my way around.

Still it's brilliant fun and very Christmas themed.

Wish my image sig would work
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: RE: Re: Currently Playing in 2017....
by Death's Head » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:32 pm

Godzilla wrote:Dead Rising 4 - PS4 - after watching a lot of reviews I was expecting the worst game ever. But it's actually pretty good fun, the lack fo time allows me to explore and level up, the keys, lockers, safe houses and blue prints are all well done and give me something to work towards, tons of weapons to craft and some serious amounts of zombies.

The only negatives are the lack of the amazing steam roller motor bike from DR3, the lack of upgradable weapons (DR3) had a fog horn that on upgrade 3 would wipe out anything, and the messy map, it's genuinely hard to find my way around.

Still it's brilliant fun and very Christmas themed.
I'm playing through this too (on PC), very enjoyable. Up to case 3 and not in a rush to get through this, having fun exploring the buildings etc.

Yes?
User avatar
gamerforever
Member
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by gamerforever » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:55 pm

Finished ff15 and now on to zelda botw champions ballad.

User avatar
Godzilla
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by Godzilla » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:38 pm

Still dead rising 4. Case 3, ignoring the story and trying to get all blue prints and level up a lot. Currently level 71.

Wish my image sig would work
User avatar
Trelliz
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by Trelliz » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:32 pm

I made decent progress on the witcher 2 today and s0me bits were annoying as hell, chapter 1 has been pretty good, getting a lot of mileage out of quite a small area.

Tragic Magic wrote:It's so pink when he bangs it on teh floor. Pi mm p boy pink.

Never pre-order or pre-purchase a console, game or season pass.
User avatar
Rax
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Raxicori

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2017....
by Rax » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:41 pm

Jazzem wrote:
IAmTheSaladMan wrote:
Jazzem wrote:Grabbed by the Ghoulies used the right stick for combat right? Man imagine the alternative timeline where that became the standard ._.


It’s funny how certain control schemes take off but others don’t. I remember magazines at the time saying the twin stick controls in Alien Resurrection were odd yet they are the standard for console FPS games now.


Ha yeah, there's a pretty infamous Gamespot quote for that:

Image

Does make you wonder what the initial thinking behind the dual anolog setup was with Sony, how they expected the second stick to be used and what ultimately pushed them to implement it. Hell, their flagship game for it, Ape Escape, used it in a similar way to Grabbed by the Ghoulies.

The first game I remember it being implemented with was Gran Turismo, one stick to steer the other to give analogue acceleration and braking, felt weird at first but was actually pretty useful when you got the hang of it.


Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: zXe and 32 guests