Currently Playing in 2018....

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Kriken
Member
Joined in 2015
Contact:

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2018....
by Kriken » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:29 pm

BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle. Barely dipped my toes into the realm of traditional/anime fighters so this is a nice change of pace. Just messed around a bit with Ruby and Weiss. Guess I'll try the P4 characters next since I played that recently.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2018....
by Tafdolphin » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:26 am

My mind is all over the place at the moment so I'm dipping in and out of a few different games when I have the time;

Cultist Simulator: It's not technically a FailBetter game (Fallen London, Sunless Seas) but it's from the main writer and it sure as hell feels like one. What this boils down to in practice is the writing and world building are quite, quite excellent but the gameplay is slow, confusing and tedious. I can't get into it, and I wish I could.

Slay the Spire: A terrifying timesink. Addictive as all hell and really good fun.

Wolf 2: As previously mentioned.

Ruiner: Visually stunning, this isn't as bad as the lacklustre reviews had me believe but it's not great either. Everything but the general gameplay is right up my street, but the moment to moment action is chaotic and very button-mashy. A solid 6 or 7/10 though.

Demos: Octopath Traveller (beautiful but dull), ARMs (surprisingly fun!) Cpt Toad (not my thing).

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2018....
by Brerlappin » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:19 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:My mind is all over the place at the moment so I'm dipping in and out of a few different games when I have the time;

Cultist Simulator: It's not technically a FailBetter game (Fallen London, Sunless Seas) but it's from the main writer and it sure as hell feels like one. What this boils down to in practice is the writing and world building are quite, quite excellent but the gameplay is slow, confusing and tedious. I can't get into it, and I wish I could.

Slay the Spire: A terrifying timesink. Addictive as all hell and really good fun.

Wolf 2: As previously mentioned.

Ruiner: Visually stunning, this isn't as bad as the lacklustre reviews had me believe but it's not great either. Everything but the general gameplay is right up my street, but the moment to moment action is chaotic and very button-mashy. A solid 6 or 7/10 though.

Demos: Octopath Traveller (beautiful but dull), ARMs (surprisingly fun!) Cpt Toad (not my thing).


NG+ is very difficult in Ruiner, but also vey good as it really requires a bit more strategic thinking and use of all your powers. You also get a lot more new weapons that arent in NG. Id give it a head 7, but a heart 10 honestly. I just strawberry floating love that aesthetic, art, and soundtrack so much. Probably the most enjoyable 6 hours ive had with a game all year.

User avatar
Seven
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Ayrshire, Scotland
Contact:

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2018....
by Seven » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:23 am

Pokémon Go past few days, been enjoying it a lot when also enjoying the nice weather.... even if I got sunburn on my arms and back of my neck. Whoops.

Image
Nintendo ID: SevenFisher (Nickname: Seven)
User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2018....
by Brerlappin » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:18 am

I picked up Prey 2017 on the weekend for a tenner as I was bored. I hated it when I tried it last year but figured id give it a fair crack of the whip this time around. Its definitely a good game. There's a lot to like here. I was mostly enjoying it but there's some strawberry floating boneheaded design thrown in there too. First off, the GUTS. The zero G sections were fine, but throw in a zero G section where you also have to fight enemies, and then in the middle of it all throw in a locked door that just pops up for no reason with no indication of how to bypass it. So you're just floating there wondering "did I miss a keycode? is there a way around this?". But no, you just float around and die until you manage to float across a body with a keycode on it hidden away behind a pipe somewhere. And now this strawberry floating Nightmare bit. Jesus, like you set foot in a brand new location, only to have this gigantic monster just appear in front of you and oneshot you. So you have to run and hide from it until a timer counts down, only when the timer counts down, it just stays there, with no indication of what you should be doing. This is seriously some dreadful gooseberry fool.

User avatar
Tragic Magic
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Leicester
Contact:

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2018....
by Tragic Magic » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:58 pm

Yes Brer! Rocking the good old avatar.

User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2018....
by Brerlappin » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:03 pm

Tragic Magic wrote:Yes Brer! Rocking the good old avatar.


Adore fans up in this piece 8-)

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2018....
by Jenuall » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:57 pm

Brerlappin wrote:I picked up Prey 2017 on the weekend for a tenner as I was bored. I hated it when I tried it last year but figured id give it a fair crack of the whip this time around. Its definitely a good game. There's a lot to like here. I was mostly enjoying it but there's some strawberry floating boneheaded design thrown in there too. First off, the GUTS. The zero G sections were fine, but throw in a zero G section where you also have to fight enemies, and then in the middle of it all throw in a locked door that just pops up for no reason with no indication of how to bypass it. So you're just floating there wondering "did I miss a keycode? is there a way around this?". But no, you just float around and die until you manage to float across a body with a keycode on it hidden away behind a pipe somewhere. And now this strawberry floating Nightmare bit. Jesus, like you set foot in a brand new location, only to have this gigantic monster just appear in front of you and oneshot you. So you have to run and hide from it until a timer counts down, only when the timer counts down, it just stays there, with no indication of what you should be doing. This is seriously some dreadful gooseberry fool.


Shame there are some things that are frustrating you about Prey Brer, as more time passes from release for me
it's solidified its place as my GOTY for 2017 but I can understand why others don't feel the same love for it.

I quite liked the idea of the Nightmare and actually wish they did more with the concept - having a powerful opponent actively stalking you through the station would have been a great experience. I can't say as I recalla problem with a locked door out of nowhere in the GUTS though?

ImageImage
User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2018....
by Brerlappin » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:13 pm

Jenuall wrote:
Brerlappin wrote:I picked up Prey 2017 on the weekend for a tenner as I was bored. I hated it when I tried it last year but figured id give it a fair crack of the whip this time around. Its definitely a good game. There's a lot to like here. I was mostly enjoying it but there's some strawberry floating boneheaded design thrown in there too. First off, the GUTS. The zero G sections were fine, but throw in a zero G section where you also have to fight enemies, and then in the middle of it all throw in a locked door that just pops up for no reason with no indication of how to bypass it. So you're just floating there wondering "did I miss a keycode? is there a way around this?". But no, you just float around and die until you manage to float across a body with a keycode on it hidden away behind a pipe somewhere. And now this strawberry floating Nightmare bit. Jesus, like you set foot in a brand new location, only to have this gigantic monster just appear in front of you and oneshot you. So you have to run and hide from it until a timer counts down, only when the timer counts down, it just stays there, with no indication of what you should be doing. This is seriously some dreadful gooseberry fool.


Shame there are some things that are frustrating you about Prey Brer, as more time passes from release for me
it's solidified its place as my GOTY for 2017 but I can understand why others don't feel the same love for it.

I quite liked the idea of the Nightmare and actually wish they did more with the concept - having a powerful opponent actively stalking you through the station would have been a great experience. I can't say as I recalla problem with a locked door out of nowhere in the GUTS though?


Yeah the first time you fly through the guts, you basically run up against a brick wall that stops all progress unless you find that body hidden behind a pipe somewhere in the guts. It was just a very annoying sudden stop to what had otherwise been a fun part. I think the nightmare glitched on me, it just sat there doing nothing after the timer hit 0. I had no choice but to run away again at which point it one hit killed me again. It's been mostly enjoyable tho, I was quite enjoying it til those two bits.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2018....
by Tafdolphin » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:20 pm

Not sure why, but I felt a compulsion to go back to the Arkham games.

Started off with a wee bit of Asylum, which is probably the purest form of the mini-genre, but found it constrictive having played the rest. So, I booted up Knight, my favourite of the three.

Jesus it still looks incredible. The level of detail is insane: every poster, every newspaper, every scrap of debris...the texture res is just crazy (you can read full articles on the newspapers, every item on the menus...). Although easy to miss, if you just spend a while walking around the streets they have the same level of attention to detail as any linear third-person game, moreso even. Considering how big the city is, and how many methods of rapid traversal the game gives you, it's amazing to see just how crafted everything is.

Cinematic as all hell too. I'm going to enjoy this...

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2018....
by Brerlappin » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:37 pm

No offence Taf but I just don't understand how anyone could prefer Knight to Asylum or City. The other gams aren't perfect, but Knight is so deeply flawed its almost impossible to enjoy. Its the only one of the trilogy I couldn't bring myself to finish.

Still playing Prey 2017. I didn't realize the nightmare just spawns randomly, so I got double strawberry floated with its spawn as it was just as I entered the Crew Quarters, so I was basically surrounded by mid controlled enemies, a bunch of Poltergeists, and the nightmare. It took a shitload of quicksaving to finally get past it. Such a bullshit idea. But thankfully its over and back to just exploring Talos 1 and doing sidequests and gooseberry fool. When youre doing that, this game is fantastic. But it is just such an uneven experience overall. So much to enjoy about it, but just as much to dislike.

User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2018....
by Squinty » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:04 pm

'Mon Taf, Knight is easily the worst one! That said, it does look gorgeous and it's a good game anyway.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2018....
by Tafdolphin » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:12 pm

Brerlappin wrote:No offence Taf but I just don't understand how anyone could prefer Knight to Asylum or City. The other gams aren't perfect, but Knight is so deeply flawed its almost impossible to enjoy. Its the only one of the trilogy I couldn't bring myself to finish.


I really think it all hinges on your opinion of the Batmobile, mainly as it's shoehorned into as many aspects of the games as possible, incredibly messily sometimes. Personally, I loved it; the weight of the thing, the feeling of if not invincibility then extreme power...

I just love the city too, the design of it, the scale of it. Asylum is definitely the most polished and slickly focused of the three, but it doesn't have gorgeous cityscapes to haunt, or the sheer amount to do. City I found to be a halfway house, not as open as Knight, nor as laser focused as Asylum.

I love all three, but considering I'd already played the formula twice before, Knight blew me away (and it's doing so again now).

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
HSH28
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2018....
by HSH28 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:18 pm

Personally I think Asylum is the best Batman game.

I'd go as far as to say it might actually be perfect. Its probably the best game of that generation and one of the best games ever made. Its easily the best comic book game.

I couldn't get into City, it just wasn't as well put together and Knight I tried to play when it came out on PC...which basically ruined the whole game and the reputation of Rocksteady for me (I know they didn't make the PC version, but its still their game).

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2018....
by Tafdolphin » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:01 pm

HSH28 wrote:Personally I think Asylum is the best Batman game.

I'd go as far as to say it might actually be perfect. Its probably the best game of that generation and one of the best games ever made. Its easily the best comic book game.

I couldn't get into City, it just wasn't as well put together and Knight I tried to play when it came out on PC...which basically ruined the whole game and the reputation of Rocksteady for me (I know they didn't make the PC version, but its still their game).


Objectively I don't disagree. I just prefer the scale and cinematic presence of Knight.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2018....
by jawafour » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:03 am

Over the past week I've played:

PES 2018 (PS4) - I led Villarreal to beat Brazil :toot:
Animal Crossing (3DS) - I caught a scorpion! I don't know why that suddenly appeared :o
Adventure Time (Switch) - I've enjoyed the opening half-hour but I may put it aside for now as it's not on my "play list"

In this coming week I will be returning to No Man's Sky (PS4) and checking out the new NEXT update. I'm excited to get back into this game!

User avatar
Tragic Magic
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Leicester
Contact:

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2018....
by Tragic Magic » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:36 am

Not enough Arkham Origins love in the world. :cry:

User avatar
dmin
Member
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2018....
by dmin » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:09 am

Horizon Zero Dawn

Just finished the introductory training with young Aloy. Looking forward to getting into the game proper now with adult Aloy. Lovely looking game, but young Aloy was a bit uncanny valley / weird.

Image
User avatar
Seven
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Ayrshire, Scotland
Contact:

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2018....
by Seven » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:00 pm

Pokémon Ultra Sun

Got another copy as my original cart was damaged, I've been playing in small brusts (since I've been playing lots of PoGo) - I still think it's poor third pillar of games considering they could've made it sequel to original SM like amazing Black/White era, instead it's... More of same.

Despite all that the new changes are lovely, it's beautiful to look at and I'm enjoying it lot.

I can't wait for Let's Go, though.

Image
Nintendo ID: SevenFisher (Nickname: Seven)
User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently Playing in 2018....
by Brerlappin » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:32 pm

Tragic Magic wrote:Not enough Arkham Origins love in the world. :cry:


Jesus I totally forgot Origins. Its actually bloody brilliant. Probably my 2nd favourite after Asylum.


Return to “Games”