Mass Effect: Andromeda - Out today

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Mass Effect: Andromeda - March 23rd - Reviews incoming
by Hexx » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:19 am

FatDaz wrote:
Photek wrote:
FatDaz wrote:I'm assuming early access doesn't include multiplayer? I loved ME3's horde mode.

I think it does have mp.


I've not seen any opinions or impressions on the multiplayer side (I know SP is the core of the game, but if the combat is refined and playable like 3 then it could go some way to counter the criticism of facial animation and weak story)


It's generally been viewed as OK/ME3 like (although the loud outs are a little different).

It's "bugged" atm so there's no positional audio apparently...
User avatar
KjGarly
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: TheArbiter
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: Mass Effect: Andromeda - March 23rd - Reviews incoming
by KjGarly » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:26 am

LewisD wrote:
NickSCFC wrote:
LewisD wrote:
jawafour wrote:I'd already decided to hold off from this but it's ranking at around 75% on Metacritic so it's not as if it's terrible. It sounds like something that could be worth taking a closer look at once the price drops.


Jawa is like the UN Peacekeeping force of gaming.

Gaaawwwwd bless you :wub:


The originals consistently got average review scores in the 90s, this is a huge drop, something has gone seriously wrong with this game.

Considering how many great games we've seen release over the past couple of months, this first really deserve a look.


Nah, that's a fair point.
But has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look nore like?


Yeah I completely wait what?
Image
User avatar
Moggy
Headmaster
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Mass Effect: Andromeda - March 23rd - Reviews incoming
by Moggy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:36 am

KjGarly wrote:
LewisD wrote:
NickSCFC wrote:
LewisD wrote:
jawafour wrote:I'd already decided to hold off from this but it's ranking at around 75% on Metacritic so it's not as if it's terrible. It sounds like something that could be worth taking a closer look at once the price drops.


Jawa is like the UN Peacekeeping force of gaming.

Gaaawwwwd bless you :wub:


The originals consistently got average review scores in the 90s, this is a huge drop, something has gone seriously wrong with this game.

Considering how many great games we've seen release over the past couple of months, this first really deserve a look.


Nah, that's a fair point.
But has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look nore like?


Yeah I completely wait what?


It's quite simple, has anyone nore like far decided even to use really been but?
User avatar
Fade
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Unknown

PostRe: Mass Effect: Andromeda - March 23rd - Reviews incoming
by Fade » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:50 am

Maybe I'm miss remembering, but I swear the writing in the original trilogy was more sublte, everything in this game is so on the nose, characters speak to you like they're reading from their livejournal, its weird.
Image
User avatar
BID0
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Essex

PostRe: Mass Effect: Andromeda - March 23rd - Reviews incoming
by BID0 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:52 am

Photek wrote:Have this pre-ordered digitally so can't cancel, I MAY wait on delving in till bugs are at least patched out, would be nice to start on Scorpio.

Just contact Microsoft support via online chat. They can cancel preorders no problem, I've done it before.
Image
[twitter] [instagram] [twitch] [last.fm]
RO > 4 > 5 > 6 > 3 >> 1 > 2 > 7
User avatar
Fade
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Unknown

PostRe: Mass Effect: Andromeda - March 23rd - Reviews incoming
by Fade » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:55 am

Yeah on PSN too, so long as you haven't played the game, they will refund you.
Image
User avatar
Parksey
Moderator
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Mass Effect: Andromeda - March 23rd - Reviews incoming
by Parksey » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:21 pm

NickSCFC wrote:
LewisD wrote:
jawafour wrote:I'd already decided to hold off from this but it's ranking at around 75% on Metacritic so it's not as if it's terrible. It sounds like something that could be worth taking a closer look at once the price drops.


Jawa is like the UN Peacekeeping force of gaming.

Gaaawwwwd bless you :wub:


The originals consistently got average review scores in the 90s, this is a huge drop, something has gone seriously wrong with this game.

Considering how many great games we've seen release over the past couple of months, this first really deserve a look.


The original game wasn't without its detractors though. Edge gave it 7/10 and from what I remember most of its criticism were fairly valid.

Looking at the original game's meta critic page, a lot of those high scores are from sites I've never heard of, or ones like the Official Xbox Magazine declaring it the greatest game they've ever played.

Like, you're making this out to be a massive fall from grace for a franchise, but it's gone from a metacritic average of 91 to 75. It's hardly been going around punching babies in the face.

Not quite sure why you're determined to hammer into it quite so much.
User avatar
DML
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Mass Effect: Andromeda - March 23rd - Reviews incoming
by DML » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:29 pm

Parksey wrote:
NickSCFC wrote:
LewisD wrote:
jawafour wrote:I'd already decided to hold off from this but it's ranking at around 75% on Metacritic so it's not as if it's terrible. It sounds like something that could be worth taking a closer look at once the price drops.


Jawa is like the UN Peacekeeping force of gaming.

Gaaawwwwd bless you :wub:


The originals consistently got average review scores in the 90s, this is a huge drop, something has gone seriously wrong with this game.

Considering how many great games we've seen release over the past couple of months, this first really deserve a look.


The original game wasn't without its detractors though. Edge gave it 7/10 and from what I remember most of its criticism were fairly valid.

Looking at the original game's meta critic page, a lot of those high scores are from sites I've never heard of, or ones like the Official Xbox Magazine declaring it the greatest game they've ever played.

Like, you're making this out to be a massive fall from grace for a franchise, but it's gone from a metacritic average of 91 to 75. It's hardly been going around punching babies in the face.

Not quite sure why you're determined to hammer into it quite so much.



To be fair, thats a massive strawberry floating drop for a video game franchise.
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Mass Effect: Andromeda - March 23rd - Reviews incoming
by Lagamorph » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:31 pm

I'm still picking it up at launch. Besides the ending I loved the original trilogy and I've had a huge craving for a big sci-fi game for ages that this should scratch.
I'll admit I'm going in blind, I've wanted to avoid any risk of spoilers that even reviews and previews might give, but I'm fairly sure I'll love this.
Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Lucien
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Mass Effect: Andromeda - March 23rd - Reviews incoming
by Lucien » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:34 pm

Won't be getting this then. Shame because it was pretty much the only game I was looking forward to.

more heat than light wrote:What's with those user scores on the original Mass Effect games on Metacritic? I know people are stupid, but even taking that into account they seem unusually low.


It's only Mass Effect 3 that was rated very low, and that'll be because of the disastrous ending.
Last edited by Lucien on Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Mass Effect: Andromeda - March 23rd - Reviews incoming
by NickSCFC » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:34 pm

Parksey wrote:Like, you're making this out to be a massive fall from grace for a franchise, but it's gone from a metacritic average of 91 to 75. It's hardly been going around punching babies in the face.


It's a huge drop, if the original had scores like that no one would remember the game, it'd be remembered like Too Human or Haze.

Not sure how, if EA fund it, they can turn this around. I'm aiming most of the talent has left Bioware.

Hopefully Cyberpunk 2077 will give me my sci-fi RPG fix this gen, CD Projekt are one of the few western devs not to have strawberry floated up this gen.
Image
User avatar
more heat than light
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Leicestershire

PostRe: Mass Effect: Andromeda - March 23rd - Reviews incoming
by more heat than light » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:56 pm

Lucien wrote:
more heat than light wrote:What's with those user scores on the original Mass Effect games on Metacritic? I know people are stupid, but even taking that into account they seem unusually low.


It's only Mass Effect 3 that was rated very low, and that'll be because of the disastrous ending.


They're all low. ME has 3.2 and ME2 has 4.3. That seems unusual given that they're both universally praised by critics and fans alike.
jawafour wrote:You definitely have the biggest one, mhtl - it's strawberry-floatin' massive!
User avatar
Parksey
Moderator
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Mass Effect: Andromeda - March 23rd - Reviews incoming
by Parksey » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:56 pm

We're going to have to disagree that it's a huge drop, going from a 75 to a 91.

And the original did get scores like that - as mentioned, Edge give it a 7/10 and so did Destructoid. Eurogamer only gave it an 8/10, which isn't that far off Andromeda's average.


Mass Effect 3 only got an 8 from Edge too. Again, that's a 5% drop on Andromeda's average.

It's almost like Andromeda is not quite as good as the original 3 games, but still good.

And Assassin's Creed managed to recover from its first outing, which got decent-but-not-great reviews and had a bit of a hammering from players upon release who deemed it dull and unremarkable.

Plenty of game franchises have 7/10 or 8/10 entries in there somewhere as well.

I find it remarkable how aghast some people are on here about a metacritic average of 75%. They'll presumably be going out to bury copies of Andromeda in the Californian desert in a few months.

Especially considering such judgements are coming from people who likely haven't played it yet.
User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Mass Effect: Andromeda - March 23rd - Reviews incoming
by Hime » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:57 pm

NickSCFC wrote:
Parksey wrote:Like, you're making this out to be a massive fall from grace for a franchise, but it's gone from a metacritic average of 91 to 75. It's hardly been going around punching babies in the face.


It's a huge drop, if the original had scores like that no one would remember the game, it'd be remembered like Too Human or Haze.

Not sure how, if EA fund it, they can turn this around. I'm aiming most of the talent has left Bioware.

Hopefully Cyberpunk 2077 will give me my sci-fi RPG fix this gen, CD Projekt are one of the few western devs not to have strawberry floated up this gen.

The original did get negative reviews and has aged terribly.
Image
User avatar
Parksey
Moderator
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Mass Effect: Andromeda - March 23rd - Reviews incoming
by Parksey » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:01 pm

Yeah, I remember the original ME got some quite negative reviews - if not outright in terms of scores on a page but that it was quite a flawed blockbuster and not as good as it's spiritual successor, KOTOR.

I think some players were quite hostile with it too for the same reasons, that it wasn't quite as good as the series which preceded it, and had some fairly obvious flaws (the mako, the identikit side missions that were literal copy-and-paste jobs, the animations and characters being stiff and lifeless, the inventory being a bloody nightmare, the combat being dumped down from its RPG roots into something more shooter-y etc).
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Mass Effect: Andromeda - March 23rd - Reviews incoming
by Tafdolphin » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:01 pm

Parksey wrote:We're going to have to disagree that it's a huge drop, going from a 75 to a 91.

And the original did get scores like that - as mentioned, Edge give it a 7/10 and so did Destructoid. Eurogamer only gave it an 8/10, which isn't that far off Andromeda's average.


Mass Effect 3 only got an 8 from Edge too. Again, that's a 5% drop on Andromeda's average.

It's almost like Andromeda is not quite as good as the original 3 games, but still good.

And Assassin's Creed managed to recover from its first outing, which got decent-but-not-great reviews and had a bit of a hammering from players upon release who deemed it dull and unremarkable.

Plenty of game franchises have 7/10 or 8/10 entries in there somewhere as well.

I find it remarkable how aghast some people are on here about a metacritic average of 75%. They'll presumably be going out to bury copies of Andromeda in the Californian desert in a few months.

Especially considering such judgements are coming from people who likely haven't played it yet.


I dunno. Is it not the unspoken rule of games journalism that anything around the 70 mark is actually rubbish, but not outright terrible? The text of all the reviews I've read have all had the same tone to them: that the game is dull as strawberry float and terribly written (not to mention buggy). That immediately makes it a no-play in my eyes: what's the point of a dull RPG?
Goat wrote:Guy probably decided not to show up because he heard Taffy was a Cow-exploding fantasist mentalist.

Bloggy blog blog blog.
User avatar
Lucien
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Mass Effect: Andromeda - March 23rd - Reviews incoming
by Lucien » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:03 pm

more heat than light wrote:
Lucien wrote:
more heat than light wrote:What's with those user scores on the original Mass Effect games on Metacritic? I know people are stupid, but even taking that into account they seem unusually low.


It's only Mass Effect 3 that was rated very low, and that'll be because of the disastrous ending.


They're all low. ME has 3.2 and ME2 has 4.3. That seems unusual given that they're both universally praised by critics and fans alike.


You took that from Nick's post I think? The three games there were all Mass Effect 3, on three different platforms.
User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Mass Effect: Andromeda - March 23rd - Reviews incoming
by NickSCFC » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:03 pm

Stop making excuses, guys

The original managed 91% on Metaceitic despite a couple of negative reviews like Edge's

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/mass-effect

Andromeda has negative reviews throughout. Don't even try to compare this train wreck o the original
Last edited by NickSCFC on Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
FatDaz
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Mass Effect: Andromeda - March 23rd - Reviews incoming
by FatDaz » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:04 pm

Spot on Parksey. The internet seems determined to maul this on release irregardless. And 7.5 average still makes it a decent game. It's almost like these days unless the game is the "best ever" it's considered a disaster and failure.

The comments in this thread from those who've played it seem to be mostly positive
User avatar
Parksey
Moderator
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Mass Effect: Andromeda - March 23rd - Reviews incoming
by Parksey » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:08 pm

I thought it was more an unwritten rule of gamers, rather than the journalists themselves. 8/10 is deemed as an acceptable score, but a 7/10 should carry one of those health warnings like on a fag packet.

Not too long ago, I read the original's Edge review that I keep harking on about, and it's pretty spot on.

ME is quite clearly flawed in many ways, and it's not as good as KOTOR on the original Xbox (which is, in my eyes, definitively a better RPG), but I still really enjoyed the 50 or so hours I spent in the game world as it had a lot of redeeming qualities despite those obvious drawbacks.

I remember player reaction on here and online generally hovering around that mark too. So much so, that the sequel, with its 9/10 scores, got widely lauded by people for reinvigorating the franchise after its solid-but-slightly-underwhelming start, and for being a marked step up in quality.

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Balloon Sod, Brerlappin, gamerforever, Jenuall, Mafro, Memento Mori, OldSoulCyborg, Pedz, Return_of_the_STAR, The Watching Artist and 32 guests