New Pepsi commercial going down like a lead balloon

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: New Pepsi commercial going down like a lead balloon
by Tafdolphin » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:55 pm

Lucien wrote:
Lucien wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:In this thread, Taf seems to think it's a morally unacceptable advert.


It is, and I gave my reasoning in my first post:

Tafdolphin wrote:Corporation co-opts the biggest civil-rights unrest in a generation to sell sugared-water.


You're tying it to something political when the advert itself is neutral. If they were holding "strawberry float Trump" signs I'd get it, but they're holding peace signs, and almost everyone likes peace.


Image

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.
Newsletter!
User avatar
Knoyleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: New Pepsi commercial going down like a lead balloon
by Knoyleo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:49 pm



User avatar
Knoyleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: New Pepsi commercial going down like a lead balloon
by Knoyleo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:53 pm

Why are people complaining? It won't change anything.

User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: New Pepsi commercial going down like a lead balloon
by Mafro » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:58 pm


HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: New Pepsi commercial going down like a lead balloon
by Garth » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:58 pm

Knoyleo wrote:Why are people complaining? It won't change anything.


Only Pepsi can change things.

User avatar
floydfreak
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: New Pepsi commercial going down like a lead balloon
by floydfreak » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:23 pm

Mafro wrote:


Image

Poncho wrote:
BobbyDigital wrote:I wanna move out of the UK (to L.A. or somewhere similar in the USA) but don't know how to really.


A plane, Bobby. It's like a big metal bird.
User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: New Pepsi commercial going down like a lead balloon
by Mafro » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:32 pm


HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: New Pepsi commercial going down like a lead balloon
by Ironhide » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:04 pm

Maybe I'm being ignorant but I don't get why people getting upset about the ad, haven't they noticed that the protesters are of various ethnicites instead of one specific ethnic group and that the police aren't actually doing anything to them.

I think people have misunderstood the intent of the ad, which is basically "chill the strawberry float out and have a Pepsi" I don't think anyone is suggesting a soft drink can solve complex social issues.

Also why is it apparently wrong to show a black woman wearing a blonde wig?

Image
User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: New Pepsi commercial going down like a lead balloon
by Rocsteady » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:22 pm

Knoyleo wrote:Why are people complaining? It won't change anything.

Company makes ad then pulls ad. Revelatory.

Image
User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: New Pepsi commercial going down like a lead balloon
by Mafro » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:48 pm

Ironhide wrote:Maybe I'm being ignorant but I don't get why people getting upset about the ad, haven't they noticed that the protesters are of various ethnicites instead of one specific ethnic group and that the police aren't actually doing anything to them.

I think people have misunderstood the intent of the ad, which is basically "chill the strawberry float out and have a Pepsi" I don't think anyone is suggesting a soft drink can solve complex social issues.

Also why is it apparently wrong to show a black woman wearing a blonde wig?

If the tweet in my post above your's doesn't give you a hint then read Tafdolphin's posts on the subject in this thread which sums it up perfectly.

EDIT: sorry if that sounds a bit harsh but I've seen so many stupid posts around the internet today (hi NeoGAF!) regarding this ad I just can't be arsed.

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
Lotus
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: New Pepsi commercial going down like a lead balloon
by Lotus » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:08 pm

Ah, she's a model apparently. News to me.

Saw the advert on the news just now, usual case that all the complaining has likely resulted in it being seen by far more people and having more impact than it ever would have done otherwise, so even though it's been pulled, Pepsi and Ms Jenner won't give a gooseberry fool I'm sure. Might've been the plan all along.

I've only seen a clip though, so why are people going mental over the blonde wig? And why are they immediately comparing this to the BLM protests and not the anti-Trump protests? Guessing there's something they didn't show on the news..?

Image
User avatar
Karl
Seyana!
Seyana!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: New Pepsi commercial going down like a lead balloon
by Karl » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:09 pm

Ironhide wrote:Maybe I'm being ignorant but I don't get why people getting upset about the ad


It's a bit insensitive to take the imagery of a protest - bearing in mind such protests are very important to many people who are on the receiving end of some societal injustice - and trivialise it to sell soda.

It's not the end of the world, but it's going to annoy a lot of people, right? And I think they have a right to tell Pepsi that they think the advert sucks.

User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: New Pepsi commercial going down like a lead balloon
by Mafro » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:15 pm

Lotus wrote:Ah, she's a model apparently. News to me.

Saw the advert on the news just now, usual case that all the complaining has likely resulted in it being seen by far more people and having more impact than it ever would have done otherwise, so even though it's been pulled, Pepsi and Ms Jenner won't give a gooseberry fool I'm sure. Might've been the plan all along.

I've only seen a clip though, so why are people going mental over the blonde wig? And why are they immediately comparing this to the BLM protests and not the anti-Trump protests? Guessing there's something they didn't show on the news..?

Image

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
Lotus
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: New Pepsi commercial going down like a lead balloon
by Lotus » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:36 pm

Yes I know you like posting that as often as you can, but you could answer my question instead. I haven't seen the full advert so would like to fully understand what the outrage is about. If the issue is that Pepsi is trying to ride on the coat-tails of movements based on real issues and protests, of which there have been many recently about all kinds of issues, and people are upset about that, fine, but people are crying racism and so I'm assuming there's something specifically in the advert that I haven't seen which is the cause of that. I'd like somebody to tell me if that's the case.

Image
bear
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: New Pepsi commercial going down like a lead balloon
by bear » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:00 am

Those tweets Knoyleo posted make a lot of sense.



When I saw the ad I was surprised that the ads creators seemed to fail to recognise how tone deaf the ad was. I figured they must be awful bloody stupid if I, a white guy living in the rural west of Ireland, could see the ads potential to upset people and that the legion of people involved in making it had managed to miss that.

I should have given them more credit I guess. They're not thick, just cynical bastards.

User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Northampton

PostRe: New Pepsi commercial going down like a lead balloon
by Return_of_the_STAR » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:37 am

Lotus wrote:Yes I know you like posting that as often as you can, but you could answer my question instead. I haven't seen the full advert so would like to fully understand what the outrage is about. If the issue is that Pepsi is trying to ride on the coat-tails of movements based on real issues and protests, of which there have been many recently about all kinds of issues, and people are upset about that, fine, but people are crying racism and so I'm assuming there's something specifically in the advert that I haven't seen which is the cause of that. I'd like somebody to tell me if that's the case.


I can't answer your question unfortunately and having read through this thread i wouldn't expect anything more than condescending comments and images in reply.

Image

GRAPL Heavyweight Champion 2010, Runner Up 2017, tag team Champion 2011, 2015, Wrestlemania PPV Winner 2012 and your current all time highest GRAPL points scorer.
Fixture feeling champion 2013.

I'm a Paul Heyman guy!
User avatar
Qikz
Member ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: New Pepsi commercial going down like a lead balloon
by Qikz » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:51 am

Lotus wrote:Yes I know you like posting that as often as you can, but you could answer my question instead. I haven't seen the full advert so would like to fully understand what the outrage is about. If the issue is that Pepsi is trying to ride on the coat-tails of movements based on real issues and protests, of which there have been many recently about all kinds of issues, and people are upset about that, fine, but people are crying racism and so I'm assuming there's something specifically in the advert that I haven't seen which is the cause of that. I'd like somebody to tell me if that's the case.

I like to think part of the issue is it paints protests as a happy social event when really it's people grouping together wanting to fight for change.

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Stay Dead...
User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: New Pepsi commercial going down like a lead balloon
by Squinty » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:00 am

I think outrage culture has hit again. Terrible advert, but isn't that big an issue.

User avatar
Gandalf
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: New Pepsi commercial going down like a lead balloon
by Gandalf » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:27 am

Mountain. Molehill.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: New Pepsi commercial going down like a lead balloon
by Moggy » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:47 am

Qikz wrote:
Lotus wrote:Yes I know you like posting that as often as you can, but you could answer my question instead. I haven't seen the full advert so would like to fully understand what the outrage is about. If the issue is that Pepsi is trying to ride on the coat-tails of movements based on real issues and protests, of which there have been many recently about all kinds of issues, and people are upset about that, fine, but people are crying racism and so I'm assuming there's something specifically in the advert that I haven't seen which is the cause of that. I'd like somebody to tell me if that's the case.

I like to think part of the issue is it paints protests as a happy social event when really it's people grouping together wanting to fight for change.


Exactly. People are involved in protests over people being killed by the police and Pepsi turn this:

Image

into this:

Image

I am not outraged or offended by it, I get that companies will use absolutely anything to sell their product, but I can see why people are outraged by it and why it is in extremely poor taste (like the drink itself amirite??).


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BAKA, Cuttooth, dab, Denster, DrPepperMan, Errkal, Garth, Google [Bot], Mafro, mcjihge2, Minty14, PsychicSykes, PuppetBoy, Return_of_the_STAR, Skarjo, Ste, suzzopher, The Watching Artist, wensleydale and 28 guests