New poll claims warehouse staff at Amazon UK are depressed and contemplate suicide

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
False
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: New poll claims warehouse staff at Amazon UK are depressed and contemplate suicide
by False » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:35 pm

I bet people will be buttmad when they just get robots in to do it

Image
User avatar
Meep
Member
Joined in 2010
Location: Belfast

PostRe: New poll claims warehouse staff at Amazon UK are depressed and contemplate suicide
by Meep » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:46 pm

Maybe they think they already have. It would explain how they treat their staff.

User avatar
PaperMacheMario
Member
Joined in 2011
AKA: The Traitor

PostRe: New poll claims warehouse staff at Amazon UK are depressed and contemplate suicide
by PaperMacheMario » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:47 pm

Errkal wrote:
Hyperion wrote:
Errkal wrote: that way people bitch about certain job types despite it being blatantly apparently what the job is before you start it.

Why can't people complain about their jobs?


They can, but when they thing they complain about is a fundamental part of the role that can't be avoided like in the case of a sales team having sales targeted it is daft.

What if the sales targets are unrealistic and you get made to feel bad for not meeting them?

HSH28 wrote:Sounds what you really need is a sense of humour.
User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: New poll claims warehouse staff at Amazon UK are depressed and contemplate suicide
by Errkal » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:59 am

PaperMacheMario wrote:
Errkal wrote:
Hyperion wrote:
Errkal wrote: that way people bitch about certain job types despite it being blatantly apparently what the job is before you start it.

Why can't people complain about their jobs?


They can, but when they thing they complain about is a fundamental part of the role that can't be avoided like in the case of a sales team having sales targeted it is daft.

What if the sales targets are unrealistic and you get made to feel bad for not meeting them?


Yes because that's what i said wasn't it...

My point was that some people take a job in sales, call centre whatever then when they hate that they have to take calls, run about and get stuff whatever and have a gooseberry fool heap moan about despite that thing they are moaning about being a fundamental aspect of the role and something that would be bloody obvious that they would have to deal with.

Unfair targets and treatment is wrong at no point have I suggested that is was anything other, my point is everything articles so far has shown "staff suggest" "staff claim" etc. So isn't the result of a proper investigation and could easily be that the handful of staff they spoke too are shitting idiots that are strawberry floated off about a job they didn't seem to understand the fundamentals of.

As others have pointed out first and second hand reports I have agreed there may be truth behind it however before Amazon get gooseberry fool allover should a proper review not be done to obtain the facts rather than shitting over something based on rumour and claims?

User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: New poll claims warehouse staff at Amazon UK are depressed and contemplate suicide
by Squinty » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:15 am

Maybe they thought they could deal with it when they took the job though. Mental strength isn't going to remain the same over time.

I think it's only natural to complain, I essentially work in a call centre, and at the start I dealt with it, now, it's really starting to irritate me. It's cathartic to vent.

User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: New poll claims warehouse staff at Amazon UK are depressed and contemplate suicide
by Ad7 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:45 am

I've had my fair share of temporary warehouse jobs and I can sympathise. One morning I woke up at 4 (was doing a 6-2 and had to cycle in The dark and rain) and I was so upset at the thought of that gooseberry fool job that I made myself throw up so I could have a legit excuse not to go.

User avatar
PaperMacheMario
Member
Joined in 2011
AKA: The Traitor

PostRe: New poll claims warehouse staff at Amazon UK are depressed and contemplate suicide
by PaperMacheMario » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:54 pm

Errkal wrote:
PaperMacheMario wrote:
Errkal wrote:
Hyperion wrote:
Errkal wrote: that way people bitch about certain job types despite it being blatantly apparently what the job is before you start it.

Why can't people complain about their jobs?


They can, but when they thing they complain about is a fundamental part of the role that can't be avoided like in the case of a sales team having sales targeted it is daft.

What if the sales targets are unrealistic and you get made to feel bad for not meeting them?


Yes because that's what i said wasn't it...

My point was that some people take a job in sales, call centre whatever then when they hate that they have to take calls, run about and get stuff whatever and have a gooseberry fool heap moan about despite that thing they are moaning about being a fundamental aspect of the role and something that would be bloody obvious that they would have to deal with.

Unfair targets and treatment is wrong at no point have I suggested that is was anything other, my point is everything articles so far has shown "staff suggest" "staff claim" etc. So isn't the result of a proper investigation and could easily be that the handful of staff they spoke too are shitting idiots that are strawberry floated off about a job they didn't seem to understand the fundamentals of.

As others have pointed out first and second hand reports I have agreed there may be truth behind it however before Amazon get gooseberry fool allover should a proper review not be done to obtain the facts rather than shitting over something based on rumour and claims?

I’ve just seen your reply to the awful claims in the OP:

Errkal wrote:Wouldn't the same be said for many warehouse types jobs?

It's like people that bitch about the pushy atmosphere in a call center or sales job when that's what the job.

Sure there may be some specific issues but Amazon will get more gooseberry fool because they are really bastard big.

There are people that bitch and moan about the call centres at work for being pushed to sell or that they have to answer the phones lots and it makes it "hell to work like that" but that's the job that's what a call centre or sales centre is.

That’s absolutely nothing to do with the OP :lol: it seems like we’re talking about different things.

HSH28 wrote:Sounds what you really need is a sense of humour.
User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: New poll claims warehouse staff at Amazon UK are depressed and contemplate suicide
by Oblomov Boblomov » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:01 pm

It was a John Lewis warehouse rather than an Amazon one, but I will always look back on the months I spent working there as the worst of my life.

Image
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: New poll claims warehouse staff at Amazon UK are depressed and contemplate suicide
by Tafdolphin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:03 pm

I love the inference in several of these replies that most people choose to work in shitty warehouse/call centre jobs, rather than being forced to by circumstance and desperation.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: New poll claims warehouse staff at Amazon UK are depressed and contemplate suicide
by Corazon de Leon » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:20 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:I love the inference in several of these replies that most people choose to work in shitty warehouse/call centre jobs, rather than being forced to by circumstance and desperation.


100% this.

Image Image
User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: New poll claims warehouse staff at Amazon UK are depressed and contemplate suicide
by Squinty » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:30 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:I love the inference in several of these replies that most people choose to work in shitty warehouse/call centre jobs, rather than being forced to by circumstance and desperation.


This is something that I wanted to address but couldn't really find the right wording for it.

User avatar
Bleachyleachy
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: New poll claims warehouse staff at Amazon UK are depressed and contemplate suicide
by Bleachyleachy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:29 pm

I did an internship a few years ago and occasionally had to pop down to the Kuehne and Nagel warehouse where some of our stock was kept. Not that I stopped to interview any of the workers there, but most of the day to day work didn't look all bad. Driving forklifts round the colossal premesis, assembly line operations, deliveries and so on. That being said I've no idea what the workloads/schedules were like, so I can imagine if it were busy all year long it could get pretty rough. Least the cafe on the site was awesome

This certainly isn't the first time I've heard Amazon coming under fire for mistreating employees at any rate. Certainly put me off applying for any of their graduate schemes when I graduated

Image
User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: New poll claims warehouse staff at Amazon UK are depressed and contemplate suicide
by Squinty » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:33 am

I used to be in a warehouse job with Tesco. It was actually really enjoyable in comparison to some of the jobs I've had. But then Tesco were pretty good to their staff around that time, so there was no issue there.


Return to “Stuff”