New Star Trek TV series "Star Trek Discovery" - Coming May 2017

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Monkey Man
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: New Star Trek TV series "Star Trek Discovery" - Coming January 2017
by Monkey Man » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:28 pm

CBS All Access, CBS’ SVOD and live streaming service, is making a change in the rollout schedule for its first two original scripted series. The highly anticipated new Star Trek drama, Star Trek: Discovery, originally slated to debut in January, will bow in May


The scheduling shift was driven by a request from the creative team of Star Trek: Discovery. Created/executive produced by Bryan Fuller and Alex Kurtzman, the new Star Trek series has three completed scripts and the first season mapped out. Sources say the show, which is now casting, was moving along according to its production schedule but its producers proactively asked the studio for more time to use in pre-production, filming and post.

“Bringing Star Trek back to television carries a responsibility and mission: to connect fans and newcomers alike to the series that has fed our imaginations since childhood,” Kurtzman and Fuller said in a statement. “We aim to dream big and deliver, and that means making sure the demands of physical and post-production for a show that takes place entirely in space, and the need to meet an air date, don’t result in compromised quality. Before heading into production, we evaluated these realities with our partners at CBS and they agreed: Star Trek deserves the very best, and these extra few months will help us achieve a vision we can all be proud of.”

http://deadline.com/2016/09/star-trek-d ... 201819639/
ImageImage
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: New Star Trek TV series "Star Trek Discovery" - Coming January 2017
by Lagamorph » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:50 am

Disappointing, but I'd rather they take the time to do it right than rush to meet an arbitrary deadline.
Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: New Star Trek TV series "Star Trek Discovery" - Coming January 2017
by Peter Crisp » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:56 am

A series set entirely in space.
I hope that doesn't mean we won't get any episodes set on planets as those are some of the best.
jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: New Star Trek TV series "Star Trek Discovery" - Coming January 2017
by Alvin Flummux » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:09 am

Pretty sure it means that the away teams will once again be making their way to Polystyrene worlds, just like in the good old days.
Jupiter is in your sun sign this week, making it pretty crowded in there, what with Jupiter being the largest of the planets and all.
User avatar
Wedgie
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: New Star Trek TV series "Star Trek Discovery" - Coming January 2017
by Wedgie » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:41 am

Peter Crisp wrote:A series set entirely in space.
I hope that doesn't mean we won't get any episodes set on planets as those are some of the best.


Not much to discover if it's entirely in space.

I wouldn't put too much worry on it. It's bollocks.
Image

Denster wrote:My phone messaged me yesterday after i'd encouraged him to download and play the RESi demo.


Super Intelligent Phones Are Here!!!! We are dooooomed!
User avatar
Venom
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: London
Contact:

PostRe: New Star Trek TV series "Star Trek Discovery" - Coming May 2017
by Venom » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:14 pm

I was disappointed to learn that it's set in the past. Perhaps the production team are unsure of how to take the Star Trek story forward?
User avatar
Memento Mori
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Emperor Mori

PostRe: New Star Trek TV series "Star Trek Discovery" - Coming May 2017
by Memento Mori » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:24 pm

Wait I thought all the Star Trek movies were supposed to be on Netflix. Was it just the TV shows?
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: New Star Trek TV series "Star Trek Discovery" - Coming May 2017
by Lagamorph » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:23 pm

Just the TV shows.
The films are all on American Netflix only I think.
Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Memento Mori
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Emperor Mori

PostRe: New Star Trek TV series "Star Trek Discovery" - Coming May 2017
by Memento Mori » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:37 pm

That's irritating. I'm going to assume nobody would advocate watching Into Darkness instead of Wrath of Khan.
User avatar
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: New Star Trek TV series "Star Trek Discovery" - Coming May 2017
by No:1 Final Fantasy Fan » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:27 pm

Apparently each season will be set in a different time.
So season 1 is before Kirk then later we may catch up with Janeway
User avatar
Somebody Else's Problem
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: Wherever you want me to be, baby

PostRe: New Star Trek TV series "Star Trek Discovery" - Coming May 2017
by Somebody Else's Problem » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:44 pm

No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote:Apparently each season will be set in a different time.
So season 1 is before Kirk then later we may catch up with Janeway


Source?
Image
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: New Star Trek TV series "Star Trek Discovery" - Coming May 2017
by Lagamorph » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:44 pm

No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote:Apparently each season will be set in a different time.
So season 1 is before Kirk then later we may catch up with Janeway

Not sure how I feel about that to be honest.

On the one hand, time travel which Trek never tends to do too well.
On the other hand, potential for actual post-Voyager Trek.

Though if they're in a 23rd Century ship, going to the 25th Century is going to be pretty gooseberry fool really.


Unless they're going with a different ship/crew for each time period. But then that'd be pretty crap too since you'd never really get to know the characters very well.
Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Somebody Else's Problem
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: Wherever you want me to be, baby

PostRe: New Star Trek TV series "Star Trek Discovery" - Coming May 2017
by Somebody Else's Problem » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:52 pm

Lagamorph wrote:On the one hand, time travel which Trek never tends to do too well.


Excuse me! The Voyage Home, First Contact and Future's End tell you to kindly strawberry float off.
Image
User avatar
Qikz
Member ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: New Star Trek TV series "Star Trek Discovery" - Coming May 2017
by Qikz » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:15 pm

Lagamorph wrote:
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote:Apparently each season will be set in a different time.
So season 1 is before Kirk then later we may catch up with Janeway

Not sure how I feel about that to be honest.

On the one hand, time travel which Trek never tends to do too well.
On the other hand, potential for actual post-Voyager Trek.

Though if they're in a 23rd Century ship, going to the 25th Century is going to be pretty gooseberry fool really.


Unless they're going with a different ship/crew for each time period. But then that'd be pretty crap too since you'd never really get to know the characters very well.


If it's written well you will do. Plenty of shows only have one season and have a good cast of characters. They'll just neeed to write the seasons as self contained.
Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Stay Dead...
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: New Star Trek TV series "Star Trek Discovery" - Coming May 2017
by Lagamorph » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:48 pm

Somebody Else's Problem wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:On the one hand, time travel which Trek never tends to do too well.


Excuse me! The Voyage Home, First Contact and Future's End tell you to kindly strawberry float off.

Voyage Home was not a great Star Trek film. It wasn't Final Frontier or Insurrection levels of bad by any means, but it was definitely the worst of the 'good' Star Trek films.
Future's End wasn't very good either.

The last thing Star Trek needs is to be set on present day Earth.
Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Somebody Else's Problem
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: Wherever you want me to be, baby

PostRe: New Star Trek TV series "Star Trek Discovery" - Coming May 2017
by Somebody Else's Problem » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:49 pm

Lagamorph wrote:
Somebody Else's Problem wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:On the one hand, time travel which Trek never tends to do too well.


Excuse me! The Voyage Home, First Contact and Future's End tell you to kindly strawberry float off.

Voyage Home was not a great Star Trek film. It wasn't Final Frontier or Insurrection levels of bad by any means, but it was definitely the worst of the 'good' Star Trek films.
Future's End wasn't very good either.

The last thing Star Trek needs is to be set on present day Earth.


How about City of the Edge of Forever?
Image
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: New Star Trek TV series "Star Trek Discovery" - Coming May 2017
by Peter Crisp » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:22 pm

I hope we see a series set a million years from now where Luton Town FC are finally in the Champions League.
Having an entire series set around that will confuse the hell out of US fans :slol: .
jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: New Star Trek TV series "Star Trek Discovery" - Coming May 2017
by No:1 Final Fantasy Fan » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:51 pm

I will find the source info later.
Different crew per season and also it season 1 won't be centred around a Captain. Instead a crewman will be the main lead and we get a new prospective.
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: New Star Trek TV series "Star Trek Discovery" - Coming May 2017
by Lagamorph » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:59 pm

Somebody Else's Problem wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:
Somebody Else's Problem wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:On the one hand, time travel which Trek never tends to do too well.


Excuse me! The Voyage Home, First Contact and Future's End tell you to kindly strawberry float off.

Voyage Home was not a great Star Trek film. It wasn't Final Frontier or Insurrection levels of bad by any means, but it was definitely the worst of the 'good' Star Trek films.
Future's End wasn't very good either.

The last thing Star Trek needs is to be set on present day Earth.


How about City of the Edge of Forever?

That's a bit more difficult since it's set 'in the past' rather than the present for me.
Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: New Star Trek TV series "Star Trek Discovery" - Coming May 2017
by Cheeky Devlin » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:24 pm

Lagamorph wrote:
Somebody Else's Problem wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:On the one hand, time travel which Trek never tends to do too well.


Excuse me! The Voyage Home, First Contact and Future's End tell you to kindly strawberry float off.

Voyage Home was not a great Star Trek film. It wasn't Final Frontier or Insurrection levels of bad by any means, but it was definitely the worst of the 'good' Star Trek films.
Future's End wasn't very good either.

The last thing Star Trek needs is to be set on present day Earth.

But, but.... the Nuclear Wessels. :cry:
Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image Image

DONATE TO SICK KIDS SAVE POINT 2016 HERE!

Return to “Stuff”