Star Trek Discovery

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Trek Discovery
by Tafdolphin » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:39 pm

Still loving it, and this episode undid a lot of the problems I had with the last episode. I actually really like the Klingons here too; they're genuinely alien rather than blokes with Cornish pasty heads.

Goat wrote:Guy probably decided not to show up because he heard Taffy was a Cow-exploding fantasist mentalist.

Bloggy blog blog blog.
Newsletter!
User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Star Trek Discovery
by Squinty » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:16 am

Tafdolphin wrote:Still loving it, and this episode undid a lot of the problems I had with the last episode. I actually really like the Klingons here too; they're genuinely alien rather than blokes with Cornish pasty heads.


Cornish pasty heads?!? That's no way to speak about the mighty Klingon Empire. You filthy P'tak!

User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Trek Discovery
by Hexx » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:20 am

Tafdolphin wrote:Cornish pasty heads.


Racist

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Star Trek Discovery
by Lagamorph » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:35 am

Is the Klingon empire the result of Cornwall gaining independence?

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Star Trek Discovery
by Squinty » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:56 pm

Lagamorph wrote:Is the Klingon empire the result of Cornwall gaining independence?


Yes, they are also angry all the time because the government wouldn't give them money to replace EU grants.

User avatar
captain red dog
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol, UK

PostRe: Star Trek Discovery
by captain red dog » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:24 am

I'm fully up to date now and whilst enjoying it, I have a few niggles. I'm not feeling the Michael character. When her scenes are on I'm constantly wanting it to get back to the bridge crew who seem more interesting. I love Captain Malfoy, he is a genuine badass and it's great to have a war captain who doesn't pussyfoot around for a change.

Also love Saru and Stamets. I felt the reveal that the doctor and Stamets were in a relationship was spoiled a bit by really poor dialogue and they didn't seem to have much chemistry together, but hopefully that can build over the series. Stamets gives me a real vibe of those scientist guys from Bioshock infinite for some reason.

As the series goes on, I'm starting to think that something has screwed the time line which will be revealed at some point. They seem in touch with the history of the series and don't shy away from references so I think there is going to be some time line maguffin somewhere along the way.

User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: Star Trek Discovery
by Mafro » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:03 pm

Anything involving Sarek zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Boring episode. Worst so far.

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Trek Discovery
by Hexx » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:04 pm

But they had a Holoshed. Think of the story lines they can do when it malfunctions?

Speaking of - did they ever work out what did in the system ship? What went wrong? What DSC is risking etc?

User avatar
Zartan
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Trek Discovery
by Zartan » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:15 pm

I mean it was pretty much a done deal because of the Netflix money but:

User avatar
captain red dog
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol, UK

PostRe: Star Trek Discovery
by captain red dog » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:54 pm

Anyone think Ash Tyler could be a human/klingon eugenics mix to create a spy?

User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Trek Discovery
by Hexx » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:11 pm

Dodgey ass back story

'fights like a klingon'


Yep

User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Trek Discovery
by Peter Crisp » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:17 pm

Karl wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:
Squinty wrote:
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote:not liking this spore drive drivel lol

I think it is an interesting idea but it makes me wonder what they'll do to get rid of it. Or should I say, what will happen in order for them to make that decision.

Given that it needs a living being to be painfully plugged in for it to function, plus the risk that using it will turn every living being on the ship inside out, I imagine it'd basically be declared too dangerous/unstable/unethical to use and all material related to it is classified and archived away to be forgotten about.

Still doesn't explain why Voyager doesn't chance it though. Particularly given it's established that Janeway is up to speed on Section 31 stuff.


Because she's a bitch?

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Irene Demova
Member
Joined in 2009
AKA: Karl

PostRe: Star Trek Discovery
by Irene Demova » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:03 am

I liked that ep more than the past couple and whilst the ending was super obvious it at least left a bit of ambiguity it was such an obvious trap that it's entirely possible Lorca sent his mate to her death so he could keep his ship

Hexx wrote:
Dodgey ass back story

'fights like a klingon'


Yep

Also Voq's actor doesn't actually exist irl, the name is something like "livelong prosper" in a different language

I don't think it's the case though, they're laying it on way too heavy with fights like a Klingon and him saying "that's what being human is"

User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Trek Discovery
by Peter Crisp » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:52 pm

Hexx wrote:The only way the storyline works with later shows if the network spore network is destroyed at the end.


They could find out that prolonged usage causes degradation in the particle field and that degradation is rather pronounced and will render the technology useless after only a short time. This however would still mean that it's available in super emergency situations like the battle of Wolf 359 or the invasion by the Founders and its army.
I think the solution will be either the technology is somehow rendered useless as the means to navigate are somehow destroyed which means it's still technically available but useless or it becomes fatal to use somehow.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Trek Discovery
by Peter Crisp » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:54 pm

Hexx wrote:But they had a Holoshed. Think of the story lines they can do when it malfunctions?


Evil Lincoln is BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A holodeck malfunction just has to happen as it's just pure fan service :wub: .

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Trek Discovery
by Hexx » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:55 pm

Well I'm glad I spoiler tagged that element of the new episode...

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Trek Discovery
by Tafdolphin » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:55 pm

Irene Demova wrote:I liked that ep more than the past couple and whilst the ending was super obvious it at least left a bit of ambiguity it was such an obvious trap that it's entirely possible Lorca sent his mate to her death so he could keep his ship

Hexx wrote:
Dodgey ass back story

'fights like a klingon'


Yep

Also Voq's actor doesn't actually exist irl, the name is something like "livelong prosper" in a different language

I don't think it's the case though, they're laying it on way too heavy with fights like a Klingon and him saying "that's what being human is"


If we accept this spoiler as true, which it almost certainly is, could this be a lead-in to why all Klingons in TOS were without forehead crests? I think they previously explained the difference between TOS and TNG by stating there was some sort of virus or disease in the species' past but could Voq's transformation be the first of many, similar to how T'Kvma was the originator of the cloaking technology?

Last edited by Tafdolphin on Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goat wrote:Guy probably decided not to show up because he heard Taffy was a Cow-exploding fantasist mentalist.

Bloggy blog blog blog.
Newsletter!
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Trek Discovery
by Hexx » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:56 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:
Irene Demova wrote:I liked that ep more than the past couple and whilst the ending was super obvious it at least left a bit of ambiguity it was such an obvious trap that it's entirely possible Lorca sent his mate to her death so he could keep his ship

Hexx wrote:
Dodgey ass back story

'fights like a klingon'


Yep

Also Voq's actor doesn't actually exist irl, the name is something like "livelong prosper" in a different language

I don't think it's the case though, they're laying it on way too heavy with fights like a Klingon and him saying "that's what being human is"


If we accept this spoiler, could this be a lead in to why all Klingons in TOS were just without forehead crests? I think they explained the difference between TOS and TNG by stating there was some sort of virus or disease in the species' past but could Voq's transformation be the first of many, similar to how T'Kvma was the originator of the cloaking technology?


It was already explained in Enterprise as a disease that was going to spread...

To lots of distain "Why answer a question no one asked! We accepted that make up had changes from the 60s!"

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Trek Discovery
by Tafdolphin » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:58 pm

Hexx wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:
Irene Demova wrote:I liked that ep more than the past couple and whilst the ending was super obvious it at least left a bit of ambiguity it was such an obvious trap that it's entirely possible Lorca sent his mate to her death so he could keep his ship

Hexx wrote:
Dodgey ass back story

'fights like a klingon'


Yep

Also Voq's actor doesn't actually exist irl, the name is something like "livelong prosper" in a different language

I don't think it's the case though, they're laying it on way too heavy with fights like a Klingon and him saying "that's what being human is"


If we accept this spoiler, could this be a lead in to why all Klingons in TOS were just without forehead crests? I think they explained the difference between TOS and TNG by stating there was some sort of virus or disease in the species' past but could Voq's transformation be the first of many, similar to how T'Kvma was the originator of the cloaking technology?


It was already explained in Enterprise as a disease that was going to spread...

To lots of distain "Why answer a question no one asked! We accepted that make up had changes from the 60s!"


But wasn't Enterprise set before TOS? Either Discovery or TOS is going to be waaaay off the canon set by Entreprise in that case.

Last edited by Tafdolphin on Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goat wrote:Guy probably decided not to show up because he heard Taffy was a Cow-exploding fantasist mentalist.

Bloggy blog blog blog.
Newsletter!
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Trek Discovery
by Peter Crisp » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:59 pm

I'm actually liking this series but it just isn't very Star Treky as it's just so dark.
I realise that positive visions of the future aren't exactly popular right now but one of the things about Star Trek is that it is about the future being better and humanity trying to be better still. One of the good things about Next Gen is that the show was positive and even in extreme circumstances Captains like Picard tried to do the right thing.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Denster, Dig Dug, Errkal, Finiarél, Frank, Irene Demova, lex-man, Memento Mori, Nathanbrains, smurphy, Squinty, That's not a growth, the eponymous bollock, Tineash and 46 guests