Star Trek Discovery

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: New Star Trek TV series "Star Trek Discovery" - Coming May 2017
by Lagamorph » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:53 pm

mic wrote:The battle sequences were okay, but I'm a bit disappointed that they stayed with the reboot's pulse phasers, and we didn't see any torpedoes. Reminds me of the hunter-killer laser fire from Terminator, for some reason.

Pulse weapons are what they had in The Original Series at first as well. Infact in the pilot for the original series they didn't even have Phasers yet. This is why you hear the order to lock Phase Cannons rather than Phasers, Phase Cannons were the pre-cursor to Phasers introduced in Enterprise.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: New Star Trek TV series "Star Trek Discovery" - Coming May 2017
by Garth » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:05 pm

Enjoyed that, and it looked very nice too. So far it seems like they've done a decent job of bringing Star Trek into the modern TV era. Interested to see where it goes from here!

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: New Star Trek TV series "Star Trek Discovery" - Coming May 2017
by Lagamorph » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:18 pm

I quite liked the bridge of the Shenzhou being on the underside of the saucer rather than the top, was something rather different.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: New Star Trek TV series "Star Trek Discovery" - Coming May 2017
by Squinty » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:02 pm

I really liked those two episodes. Interested to see where this goes :D

User avatar
Memento Mori
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Emperor Mori

PostRe: New Star Trek TV series "Star Trek Discovery" - Coming May 2017
by Memento Mori » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:30 pm

I liked that a lot. Some painful expository dialogue in episode 1 though.

User avatar
Slimgrady
Member
Joined in 2010
Location: Cork

PostRe: New Star Trek TV series "Star Trek Discovery" - Coming May 2017
by Slimgrady » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:11 am

I enjoyed the first 2 episodes. Watching AfterTrek, or whatever it's called, now just because and...Clem Fandango popped up on it!! :lol: So I'll definitely be tuning into episode 3 to see if people will be able to hear him.

ImageImage
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: New Star Trek TV series "Star Trek Discovery" - Coming May 2017
by Lagamorph » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:35 am

Promo for the rest of the season,




Also,

Image

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
dmin
Member
Joined in 2010

PostRe: New Star Trek TV series "Star Trek Discovery" - Coming May 2017
by dmin » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:14 am

Enjoyed it; bit of a meld between original series and the new films. I had planned on watching only the first episode, but ended up watching both after that cliffhanger ending. The new Klingons didn't bother me but the secondary characters didn't seem much cop (yet, anyways), apart from Saru.

Btw, was it just me, or did everyone else think - Michael, she's called Michael?

Image
User avatar
Trelliz
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: New Star Trek TV series "Star Trek Discovery" - Coming May 2017
by Trelliz » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:02 am

I'm a bit on the fence about this - it has a great style to it however i guess i'm a sucker for the TNG/DS9 klingons; both they and their ships were visually distinctive whereas they look like generic lumpy aliens and their ships have that spiky-yet-indistinct look which i find uninteresting.

Also i'm not sold on them back-filling star trek with all these prequel series, to me it comes across as not having the will to move things on from the end of Nemesis, which i think is the most forward point in the core timeline.

Tragic Magic wrote:I'm giving esteem a name of crafty Fu mining pinitz strawberry float me I live roasted ponuts

Never pre-order or pre-purchase a console, game or season pass.
User avatar
Karl
Seyana!
Seyana!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: New Star Trek TV series "Star Trek Discovery" - Coming May 2017
by Karl » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:13 am

Going to watch at least one ep of this tonight after hearing it's not awful. Looking forward to it.

Agree with you Trelliz, I would like to see another far-future Star Trek.

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: New Star Trek TV series "Star Trek Discovery" - Coming May 2017
by Lagamorph » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:02 pm

I was hoping for something post-Voyager/Nemesis when they first announced a new Star Trek. Would've been great to see something with all the new tech that Voyager brought back.
I guess we've got Star Trek Online for that at least as it's basically a continuation set about 30 years after the end of Voyager.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Trelliz
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: New Star Trek TV series "Star Trek Discovery" - Coming May 2017
by Trelliz » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:30 pm

Lagamorph wrote:I was hoping for something post-Voyager/Nemesis when they first announced a new Star Trek. Would've been great to see something with all the new tech that Voyager brought back.
I guess we've got Star Trek Online for that at least as it's basically a continuation set about 30 years after the end of Voyager.


I've been playing STO for years and they have basically battered every major badguy race and are now making up new ones which are less interesting to deal with; fighting the borg, undine and the freaking iconians and temporal cold war was cool but the vaadwuar and now the tzenkethi have no gravitas to them. Also laga you can get the new series uniforms in the game for free i think still.

Tragic Magic wrote:I'm giving esteem a name of crafty Fu mining pinitz strawberry float me I live roasted ponuts

Never pre-order or pre-purchase a console, game or season pass.
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: New Star Trek TV series "Star Trek Discovery" - Coming May 2017
by Lagamorph » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:03 pm

Trelliz wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:I was hoping for something post-Voyager/Nemesis when they first announced a new Star Trek. Would've been great to see something with all the new tech that Voyager brought back.
I guess we've got Star Trek Online for that at least as it's basically a continuation set about 30 years after the end of Voyager.


I've been playing STO for years and they have basically battered every major badguy race and are now making up new ones which are less interesting to deal with; fighting the borg, undine and the freaking iconians and temporal cold war was cool but the vaadwuar and now the tzenkethi have no gravitas to them. Also laga you can get the new series uniforms in the game for free i think still.

Yeah I've logged on with my Federation characters to redeem the uniforms, I think they're only available (Free at least) for a limited time.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: New Star Trek TV series "Star Trek Discovery" - Coming May 2017
by Squinty » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:13 am

Saru seems pretty cool actually. I'm guessing they'll play on the thing he mentioned about his species.

User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Stool Bloke

PostRe: New Star Trek TV series "Star Trek Discovery" - Coming May 2017
by Dual » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:18 am

Like the first episode. It looks like Mass Effect.

User avatar
Zartan
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: New Star Trek TV series "Star Trek Discovery" - Coming May 2017
by Zartan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:42 am

I really enjoyed it, really great looking series, (happy Netflix has it in HDR). Certainly enough for me to be quite positive for the rest of the season. I am on board with the characters so far and interested to see where this goes.

As for the Klingons, their faces were not as bad as I had feared, so I was happier than I thought I would be, sadly the body armor was terrible and as bad as I had feared. I mean I am fine with them redoing the Klingons, that design is 38 years old now, but I am sure they could have done better, but that is my only real complaint so far.

My worry is with this type of intro, whilst I like a little action trek now and then, action episodes were never Star Treks strengths, and I am worried they will try and put that too much at the forefront of the show. Especially with the last film being such a generic scifi action film

Oh my stupid complaint is why have they called her Michael? That really bugs me no end, though I do feel like an old man yelling at a cloud on this one

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: New Star Trek TV series "Star Trek Discovery" - Coming May 2017
by Preezy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:24 am

Michael? :lol:

Is this one of those gender-fluid kinda deals? :shifty:

User avatar
Karl
Seyana!
Seyana!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: New Star Trek TV series "Star Trek Discovery" - Coming May 2017
by Karl » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:25 am

Second episode was disappointingly written IMO. I think having the ship get wrecked and killing off the captain so early is a symptom of a show trying so hard to be taken seriously that it's off-putting. Maybe she'll come back - we didn't get her body! - but I still thought it was a cheap shock. The bit where Michael shot the Klingon after spending so long saying "don't martyr him" was just plain dumb -- why wasn't her phaser set to stun? And did they really sentence to her to life at the end or did I misunderstand that bit? The Federation doesn't have closed courts with shadowy judges hiding their faces who can put someone behind bars for life, that's not the kind of society they are. And the sentence is disproportionate to the action of trying to stop a war.

Overall it seemed very contrived and desperate to be edgy. Star Trek doesn't have to be happy all the time, but at its best it's a show about the human race demonstrating goodness and kindness in the face of adversity. This show is almost getting there - Michael's internal conflict is a good way to explore those ideas - but everything's so relentlessly bleak at the moment.

I'd kind of rather go rewatch TNG. If Picard were there he would have got those Klingons round the table and it would have been a more interesting show for it.

Still, I'll give it another couple of eps.

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: New Star Trek TV series "Star Trek Discovery" - Coming May 2017
by Lagamorph » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:39 am

Karl wrote:Second episode was disappointingly written IMO. I think having the ship get wrecked and killing off the captain so early is a symptom of a show trying so hard to be taken seriously that it's off-putting. Maybe she'll come back - we didn't get her body! - but I still thought it was a cheap shock. The bit where Michael shot the Klingon after spending so long saying "don't martyr him" was just plain dumb -- why wasn't her phaser set to stun? And did they really sentence to her to life at the end or did I misunderstand that bit? The Federation doesn't have closed courts with shadowy judges hiding their faces who can put someone behind bars for life, that's not the kind of society they are. And the sentence is disproportionate to the action of trying to stop a war.

Overall it seemed very contrived and desperate to be edgy. Star Trek doesn't have to be happy all the time, but at its best it's a show about the human race demonstrating goodness and kindness in the face of adversity. This show is almost getting there - Michael's internal conflict is a good way to explore those ideas - but everything's so relentlessly bleak at the moment.

I'd kind of rather go rewatch TNG. If Picard were there he would have got those Klingons round the table and it would have been a more interesting show for it.

Still, I'll give it another couple of eps.

To be fair, in TOS Starfleet was a lot more militaristic oriented, and even in TNG we saw a few examples of Starfleet handling things 'in house' and a mutiny tribunal would probably fall under that. (Look at that hearing for whether Data should be allowed to object to having his brain removed and taken apart or not, something hugely serious and it's just one Starfleet officer acting as judge and jury, no Federation involvement whatsoever, just because Data was in Stafleet)

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Karl
Seyana!
Seyana!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: New Star Trek TV series "Star Trek Discovery" - Coming May 2017
by Karl » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:58 am

Lagamorph wrote:To be fair, in TOS Starfleet was a lot more militaristic oriented, and even in TNG we saw a few examples of Starfleet handling things 'in house' and a mutiny tribunal would probably fall under that. (Look at that hearing for whether Data should be allowed to object to having his brain removed and taken apart or not, something hugely serious and it's just one Starfleet officer acting as judge and jury, no Federation involvement whatsoever, just because Data was in Stafleet)

Well in that episode the reason that was effective is that it ran counter to your expectations about due process in Starfleet -- they assigned a skeleton courtroom to the affair because the higher-ups viewed it as a dispute over which department was allowed to use the fancy toy. It was down to Picard to convince them otherwise.

I totally agree with you that in TNG the Federation is sometimes shown to be imperfect, but that's supposed to contrast with Picard's embodiment of the principles of the Federation, and his inevitable fight to set things right.

All I'm saying is that you aren't supposed to view Starfleet as being headed up by hard-line, shadowy, authoritarian fascists from the start. Maybe you do an episode in Season 3 that's about that, once you've established it's filled with good people with good intentions, but kicking off with it makes the Federation seem like a very morally ambiguous organisation.

EDIT: But fine, I haven't seen much TOS. My picture of Star Trek is really coloured by TNG and its fundamental optimism and its own particular emphases around that.


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BAKA, KK, Snowcannon, Superking and 56 guests