Next Gen Xbox Consoles Confirmed - Rumoured Codename Scarlett, Coming 2020

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Next Gen Xbox Consoles Confirmed - Codename Scarlet? (no hardware details yet)
by Moggy » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:09 am

Death's Head wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Death's Head wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Death's Head wrote:
jezhumphrey75 wrote:
Gemini73 wrote:So a couple of variations in the works then. One disc based, one not perhaps?

I can see 2 variations, for instance a new xbox s and x, x has bit more ram,ssd,higher clocks etc and only sold at a profit, S being the standard.

Both released together.
Please no. Just one version unless MS can promise that come end of the generation, all games on the base model will not suffer from performance issues.


I could see them offering a disc version and a download only version. I don’t think they’ll release different powered versions on launch though.
I can't really see the point of this minor difference. The cost of the drive is minimal and it would probably mean a separate production line to make a console with and without a disc drive.


Because it will get people used to being download only and will let them monopolise game sales in the future.
Buy a PC if you want download only. The future has been here for a while.


My answer wasn’t about what I wanted, I replied to your question as to what was the point of having a disc and a download version.

MS will not jump straight into a download only console (the reaction to the original Xbone plans will be fresh in their minds!). They will test the waters first by offering a cheaper download only console alongside a traditional physical media one.

User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Next Gen Xbox Consoles Confirmed - Codename Scarlet? (no hardware details yet)
by Death's Head » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:03 am

Moggy wrote:
Death's Head wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Death's Head wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Death's Head wrote:
jezhumphrey75 wrote:
Gemini73 wrote:So a couple of variations in the works then. One disc based, one not perhaps?

I can see 2 variations, for instance a new xbox s and x, x has bit more ram,ssd,higher clocks etc and only sold at a profit, S being the standard.

Both released together.
Please no. Just one version unless MS can promise that come end of the generation, all games on the base model will not suffer from performance issues.


I could see them offering a disc version and a download only version. I don’t think they’ll release different powered versions on launch though.
I can't really see the point of this minor difference. The cost of the drive is minimal and it would probably mean a separate production line to make a console with and without a disc drive.


Because it will get people used to being download only and will let them monopolise game sales in the future.
Buy a PC if you want download only. The future has been here for a while.


My answer wasn’t about what I wanted, I replied to your question as to what was the point of having a disc and a download version.

MS will not jump straight into a download only console (the reaction to the original Xbone plans will be fresh in their minds!). They will test the waters first by offering a cheaper download only console alongside a traditional physical media one.
But there is very little saving to have a non disc version. If they did do this, it is going to be silly if they try to have a price difference of anything more than about £20. Unless there is a significant price difference you may as well just pay the little extra for the drive.

Yes?
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Next Gen Xbox Consoles Confirmed - Codename Scarlet? (no hardware details yet)
by Moggy » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:17 am

Death's Head wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Death's Head wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Death's Head wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Death's Head wrote:
jezhumphrey75 wrote:
Gemini73 wrote:So a couple of variations in the works then. One disc based, one not perhaps?

I can see 2 variations, for instance a new xbox s and x, x has bit more ram,ssd,higher clocks etc and only sold at a profit, S being the standard.

Both released together.
Please no. Just one version unless MS can promise that come end of the generation, all games on the base model will not suffer from performance issues.


I could see them offering a disc version and a download only version. I don’t think they’ll release different powered versions on launch though.
I can't really see the point of this minor difference. The cost of the drive is minimal and it would probably mean a separate production line to make a console with and without a disc drive.


Because it will get people used to being download only and will let them monopolise game sales in the future.
Buy a PC if you want download only. The future has been here for a while.


My answer wasn’t about what I wanted, I replied to your question as to what was the point of having a disc and a download version.

MS will not jump straight into a download only console (the reaction to the original Xbone plans will be fresh in their minds!). They will test the waters first by offering a cheaper download only console alongside a traditional physical media one.
But there is very little saving to have a non disc version. If they did do this, it is going to be silly if they try to have a price difference of anything more than about £20. Unless there is a significant price difference you may as well just pay the little extra for the drive.


There’s little saving on the cost of the drive. But there’s a massive profit to be made by getting people to only use the digital store. They’d be willing to take a hit on the price of the console if it meant big profits on the sales of Store only games.

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Next Gen Xbox Consoles Confirmed - Codename Scarlet? (no hardware details yet)
by Lagamorph » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:18 am

Even though I have the internet to support it, if there is a download only version of the console and a disc based version of the console I'll be going for the disc version. I don't think the time is right yet for a download only console, there are too many people with poor internet speeds or data caps.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Next Gen Xbox Consoles Confirmed - Codename Scarlet? (no hardware details yet)
by Peter Crisp » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:55 am

I still think we could be looking at a 2020 release although it would make for a really drawn out reveal process.
All they said was it's in development and we all knew that already. They showed zero game footage and didn't give a release date both of which could have happened (even if just short technical test footage) if it was expected next Christmas.
There's also plenty of games for this gen coming next year anyway.

I'm happy that the next gen is being talked about openly but am more and more confident it will be 2020.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Next Gen Xbox Consoles Confirmed - Codename Scarlet? (no hardware details yet)
by Moggy » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:03 pm

Peter Crisp wrote:I still think we could be looking at a 2020 release although it would make for a really drawn out reveal process.
All they said was it's in development and we all knew that already. They showed zero game footage and didn't give a release date both of which could have happened (even if just short technical test footage) if it was expected next Christmas.
There's also plenty of games for this gen coming next year anyway.

I'm happy that the next gen is being talked about openly but am more and more confident it will be 2020.


I was thinking 2021/22, but MS mentioning it makes me think it could be 2020.

User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: RE: Re: Next Gen Xbox Consoles Confirmed - Codename Scarlet? (no hardware details yet)
by Death's Head » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:24 pm

Lagamorph wrote:Even though I have the internet to support it, if there is a download only version of the console and a disc based version of the console I'll be going for the disc version. I don't think the time is right yet for a download only console, there are too many people with poor internet speeds or data caps.
Don't worry, MS has your back. Got the download only version and want disc access? For just $199 they will sell you an HD-DVD drive to future proof your investment.

Yes?
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Next Gen Xbox Consoles Confirmed - Codename Scarlet? (no hardware details yet)
by Peter Crisp » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:29 pm

This could be a rubbish solution but could they make a cable that connects the xbox one to the next gen console and use the blue ray drive of the Xbox One?

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: RE: Re: Next Gen Xbox Consoles Confirmed - Codename Scarlet? (no hardware details yet)
by Death's Head » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:33 pm

Peter Crisp wrote:This could be a rubbish solution but could they make a cable that connects the xbox one to the next gen console and use the blue ray drive of the Xbox One?
Agreed.

Rubbish solution.

Yes?
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: RE: Re: Next Gen Xbox Consoles Confirmed - Codename Scarlet? (no hardware details yet)
by Moggy » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:41 pm

Death's Head wrote:
Peter Crisp wrote:This could be a rubbish solution but could they make a cable that connects the xbox one to the next gen console and use the blue ray drive of the Xbox One?
Agreed.

Rubbish solution.


:lol:

User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: RE: Re: Next Gen Xbox Consoles Confirmed - Codename Scarlet? (no hardware details yet)
by Peter Crisp » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:49 pm

Moggy wrote:
Death's Head wrote:
Peter Crisp wrote:This could be a rubbish solution but could they make a cable that connects the xbox one to the next gen console and use the blue ray drive of the Xbox One?
Agreed.

Rubbish solution.


:lol:


Oh :cry: .

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Pedz
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Next Gen Xbox Consoles Confirmed - Codename Scarlet? (no hardware details yet)
by Pedz » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:54 pm

New consoles... DOn't care.

ImageImageImageImage.
Image
User avatar
The Watching Artist
Scrub
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Next Gen Xbox Consoles Confirmed - Codename Scarlet? (no hardware details yet)
by The Watching Artist » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:20 pm

Was I the only one who found it a bit tasteless to mention a new gen console just months after releasing a £400+ mid gen upgrade?

Image
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Next Gen Xbox Consoles Confirmed - Codename Scarlet? (no hardware details yet)
by Photek » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:22 pm

Pedz wrote:New consoles... DOn't care.

He's at it again! ;)

Image
Grcades resident banana split.
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Next Gen Xbox Consoles Confirmed - Codename Scarlet? (no hardware details yet)
by Peter Crisp » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:28 pm

I wonder when the first details about devkits will get released?
I'm assuming they're just modified PC's but it'll be interesting to see what sort of hardware the platform holders think will be available.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Pedz
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Next Gen Xbox Consoles Confirmed - Codename Scarlet? (no hardware details yet)
by Pedz » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:30 pm

Photek wrote:
Pedz wrote:New consoles... DOn't care.

He's at it again! ;)



In all seriousness, it's not that I don't care. I'm just in no rush. I have a PS4 with plenty of games to play, I have an X with plenty of games to play and a PC also with plenty of games to play. Personally, I could do with a good few years before next gen.

ImageImageImageImage.
Image
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: RE: Re: Next Gen Xbox Consoles Confirmed - Codename Scarlet? (no hardware details yet)
by Death's Head » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:40 pm

The Watching Artist wrote:Was I the only one who found it a bit tasteless to mention a new gen console just months after releasing a £400+ mid gen upgrade?
Unfortunately, the consoles are moving closer to the phone model. What will be interesting is if the consoles get out of synch with each of the major platforms (not including Nintendo in this) trumping the over every 2 years technology wise.

Yes?
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: RE: Re: Next Gen Xbox Consoles Confirmed - Codename Scarlet? (no hardware details yet)
by Death's Head » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:41 pm

Pedz wrote:
Photek wrote:
Pedz wrote:New consoles... DOn't care.

He's at it again! ;)



In all seriousness, it's not that I don't care. I'm just in no rush. I have a PS4 with plenty of games to play, I have an X with plenty of games to play and a PC also with plenty of games to play. Personally, I could do with a good few years before next gen.
The problem is, we don't set the pace. When the new consoles come out you are restricted to old games and if you want the latest releases, time to upgrade.

Yes?
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Next Gen Xbox Consoles Confirmed - Codename Scarlet? (no hardware details yet)
by Peter Crisp » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:44 pm

I'm thinking the main increase in next gen will be on the CPU and that hasn't changed much at all with the mid-gen refreshes.
I think the GPU will only have a comparatively small upgrade but as 4K will be the standard at least it will only be trying to improve on a resolution that those refreshes are currently struggling with.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: RE: Re: Next Gen Xbox Consoles Confirmed - Codename Scarlet? (no hardware details yet)
by Death's Head » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:59 pm

Peter Crisp wrote:I'm thinking the main increase in next gen will be on the CPU and that hasn't changed much at all with the mid-gen refreshes.
I think the GPU will only have a comparatively small upgrade but as 4K will be the standard at least it will only be trying to improve on a resolution that those refreshes are currently struggling with.
In the PC, GPU is more important so if consoles use the same architecture, that will also need to be the priority.

Yes?

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: <]:^D, Brerlappin, GrinWithoutaKat, Hound, ITSMILNER, JediDragon05, Lime, Mafro, OldSoulCyborg, Pedz, Qikz, shy guy 64 and 44 guests