Nintendo Wii U [CHAT III] - Club U

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
RainbowGazelle
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Scotland
Contact:

PostRe: Nintendo Wii U [CHAT III] - Club U
by RainbowGazelle » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:44 pm

Oh no, 10 - 20 seconds. The horror...

Image
Image
User avatar
Pedz
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Nintendo Wii U [CHAT III] - Club U
by Pedz » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:46 pm

Wasn't Miiverse a reason that some games wouldn't work on Wii U? Like Yooka-Laylee and others.

ImageImageImageImage.
Image
User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: Nintendo Wii U [CHAT III] - Club U
by Green Gecko » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:47 pm

It was actually executed very well and something I expected with the Wii originally, but it was terribly slow, the systems architect / sysops guys did a bad job with that. I believe it was outsourced to some company and they didn't have the infrastructure right to deliver the experience at the pace a communications platform needs to have.

RainbowGazelle wrote:Oh no, 10 - 20 seconds. The horror...

It wasn't just that, individual buttons/text submission had a significant latency.

GRcade is about 10x faster at least and it isn't even AJAX..

Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
RainbowGazelle
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Scotland
Contact:

PostRe: Nintendo Wii U [CHAT III] - Club U
by RainbowGazelle » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:49 pm

Pedz wrote:Wasn't Miiverse a reason that some games wouldn't work on Wii U? Like Yooka-Laylee and others.

Emm, I can't say. I haven't heard that before.

Image
Image
User avatar
Jazzem
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Nintendo Wii U [CHAT III] - Club U
by Jazzem » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:49 pm

Ad7 wrote:Come on, miiverse was dog slow to load up. The games (did it have any?) Loaded quickly, but miiverse took long enough to put many off using it.


To be honest, this is one of the reasons I was looking forward to whatever Nintendo machine came next, thinking they'd be able to refine Miiverse and improve it with far quicker startup...

...oh to be young and naive :simper:

User avatar
Pedz
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Nintendo Wii U [CHAT III] - Club U
by Pedz » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:51 pm

RainbowGazelle wrote:
Pedz wrote:Wasn't Miiverse a reason that some games wouldn't work on Wii U? Like Yooka-Laylee and others.

Emm, I can't say. I haven't heard that before.


Don't quote me on it. I'm sure that is what the people behind Yooka-Laylee said. I may be misremembering though. I'll ask jawa

jawafour wrote:


:?:

ImageImageImageImage.
Image
User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: Nintendo Wii U [CHAT III] - Club U
by Green Gecko » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:54 pm

It was more likely some bollocks regarding reserving memory for the system OS, as the Wii U to be fair transitions between web browser, eShop, the exception being MiiVerse quite smoothly (I know on day one it was pretty bad).

Breath of the Wild Nintendo seemed to make special provisions for just to get it running as there is a huge delay going in and out of that.

Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Nintendo Wii U [CHAT III] - Club U
by jawafour » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:21 am

Pedz wrote:Wasn't Miiverse a reason that some games wouldn't work on Wii U? Like Yooka-Laylee and others.... I'm sure that is what the people behind Yooka-Laylee said. I may be misremembering though. I'll ask jawa...

Yooka-Laylee... dang it, Pedz, I avoid talking about Playtonic's Wii U horror (non-) show... the pain is still there! ;) .

I'm not aware of Miiverse or other system software being a reason for a game not appearing on the U, dude. In common with other recent consoles, a set amount of memory / processing capacity is set aside for running the system stuff alongside whatever game is being run, and potentially some system aspects could be deactivated in order to to grant greater processing focus on the game, but I'm not aware of any specific cases of this on the U... nor of it being used as a reason for not porting a game to the console.

- - - - - - - - - -

Totes different subject, but it seems likely that Lets Dance 2019 will be the last "retail" disc game released for the system. Limited Run games will shortly be releasing an - ahem - limited run disc game, albeit it has not yet been announced what that game will be. My last disc title was Darksiders Warmastered. Anyone else have a different "last game" for the system? I'd imagine that Zelda BotW could be a popular one!

User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Nintendo Wii U [CHAT III] - Club U
by OrangeRKN » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:36 am

RainbowGazelle wrote:Oh no, 10 - 20 seconds. The horror...


20 seconds of waiting just to write a comment on a mario maker level - every time you want to comment on a level - is an absolute age.

chanticleer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Nintendo Wii U [CHAT III] - Club U
by chanticleer » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:46 am

jawafour wrote:I'm not aware of Miiverse or other system software being a reason for a game not appearing on the U, dude.


Brace yourself...

Here at Playtonic we pride ourselves on being open and honest with our backers. That and our ability to eat cake. So today we are finally able to explain our decision to end production of Yooka Laylee on Wii U.

The simple truth is Miiverse was making the game impossible. So many bugs and performance issues were making a tricky job even tougher. We reached out to Nintendo for help and they said "ok chaps." But as further discussions went on it became clear that it would take time for them to deal with the Miiverse issue. So we asked about the Switch and Nintendo said they would love to see our new buddy duo on their new console but they were planning a new and improved super Miiverse. We were concerned that this would still cause issues with the game and sadly early testing indicated this was the case. We again reached out to Nintendo for help and such was their desire to see a bat and a lizard go to war with a bee they decided to end support for the new Miiverse on Switch. Which is why we are going to be able to bring Yooka Laylee to you on Nintendos new shiny mega popular console. Today is appears Nintendo are slowly dealing with the Miiverse issue on Wii U by removing it thus letting the many developers still making many games for the system finish their projects.

So in short. We here at Playtonic killed Miiverse.

User avatar
Pedz
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Nintendo Wii U [CHAT III] - Club U
by Pedz » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:53 am

And it's not even a very good game. In fact, I was bored as strawberry float by the 2nd or 3rd stage.

ImageImageImageImage.
Image
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Nintendo Wii U [CHAT III] - Club U
by jawafour » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:31 am

chanticleer wrote:Brace yourself...

Here at Playtonic we pride ourselves on being open and honest with our backers.... So today we are finally able to explain our decision to end production of Yooka Laylee on Wii U...


[Breathes deeply]
[Pauses]
[Exhales]

I'm surprised that, over eighteen months after the Kickstarter funding completed, Playtonic then decided that a Wii U version of the game was not possible. I'm even more surprised by their suggestion that Miiverse was the crux of the issue... when, to the best of my knowledge, this has not been cited as a factor by any other developer on any other published game for the system.

I'm not angry, just strawberry-floatin' furious :lol: ;) .

User avatar
The Watching Artist
Scrub
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Nintendo Wii U [CHAT III] - Club U
by The Watching Artist » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:50 am

chanticleer wrote:
jawafour wrote:I'm not aware of Miiverse or other system software being a reason for a game not appearing on the U, dude.


Brace yourself...

Here at Playtonic we pride ourselves on being open and honest with our backers. That and our ability to eat cake. So today we are finally able to explain our decision to end production of Yooka Laylee on Wii U.

The simple truth is Miiverse was making the game impossible. So many bugs and performance issues were making a tricky job even tougher. We reached out to Nintendo for help and they said "ok chaps." But as further discussions went on it became clear that it would take time for them to deal with the Miiverse issue. So we asked about the Switch and Nintendo said they would love to see our new buddy duo on their new console but they were planning a new and improved super Miiverse. We were concerned that this would still cause issues with the game and sadly early testing indicated this was the case. We again reached out to Nintendo for help and such was their desire to see a bat and a lizard go to war with a bee they decided to end support for the new Miiverse on Switch. Which is why we are going to be able to bring Yooka Laylee to you on Nintendos new shiny mega popular console. Today is appears Nintendo are slowly dealing with the Miiverse issue on Wii U by removing it thus letting the many developers still making many games for the system finish their projects.

So in short. We here at Playtonic killed Miiverse.

what twat wrote this :slol:

Image
User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Nintendo Wii U [CHAT III] - Club U
by Ad7 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:58 am

LOL SO WHACKY HERE AT PLAYTONIC LOL.WOT R WE LIKE

User avatar
Pedz
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Nintendo Wii U [CHAT III] - Club U
by Pedz » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:00 pm

That's what I may have read before which implies Miiverse was the problem with Yooka-Laylee and Wii U.

ImageImageImageImage.
Image
User avatar
Kriken
Member
Joined in 2015
Contact:

PostRe: Nintendo Wii U [CHAT III] - Club U
by Kriken » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:02 pm

That quote is a joke right

I tried googling it to find a source and the only match was this thread and the 'Miiverse closing down' thread in a post by Matt.

User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Nintendo Wii U [CHAT III] - Club U
by OrangeRKN » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:13 pm

Jawa just got TWA'd

original

User avatar
Pedz
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Nintendo Wii U [CHAT III] - Club U
by Pedz » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:16 pm

strawberry float! Matt did it? :lol:

I thought I saw on on a random site or my phone's feed. strawberry float sakes Matt, you tit. :lol:

ImageImageImageImage.
Image
User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Nintendo Wii U [CHAT III] - Club U
by Ad7 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:17 pm

Matt aka Lord of the bants

User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Nintendo Wii U [CHAT III] - Club U
by jawafour » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:21 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: .

BanTWA-Kazooie :toot: .


Return to “Games”