NVIDIA unveils GeForce RTX series, world's first ray tracing GPUs

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
zXe
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol, UK

PostRe: NVIDIA unveils Quadro RTX, world's first ray tracing GPU (16 TFLOPS)
by zXe » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:39 pm

My cpu is an old i5 3570k Ivy Bridge. Running a 970, does the job. But would a third gen intel CPU be a bottleneck with say an RTX 2070?

User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: NVIDIA unveils Quadro RTX, world's first ray tracing GPU (16 TFLOPS)
by Green Gecko » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:06 am

Modern game developers can't program collision detection or gameplay so having realtime raytracing in there seems a long way off practically speaking. There might even be an original idea.

Seriously it takes an age for engines to perform remotely well just like HDR, SSAO or whatever the last thing is.

Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
HSH28
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: NVIDIA unveils Quadro RTX, world's first ray tracing GPU (16 TFLOPS)
by HSH28 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:14 am

Green Gecko wrote:Modern game developers can't program collision detection or gameplay so having realtime raytracing in there seems a long way off practically speaking. There might even be an original idea.

Seriously it takes an age for engines to perform remotely well just like HDR, SSAO or whatever the last thing is.


I don't get your point, they just showed it running in a bunch of games coming out in the next few months. Its already in games.

I'm sure as the technology matures it'll get better, but that's the same with anything.

User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: NVIDIA unveils Quadro RTX, world's first ray tracing GPU (16 TFLOPS)
by Peter Crisp » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:25 am

HSH28 wrote:
Green Gecko wrote:Modern game developers can't program collision detection or gameplay so having realtime raytracing in there seems a long way off practically speaking. There might even be an original idea.

Seriously it takes an age for engines to perform remotely well just like HDR, SSAO or whatever the last thing is.


I don't get your point, they just showed it running in a bunch of games coming out in the next few months. Its already in games.

I'm sure as the technology matures it'll get better, but that's the same with anything.


A promotional video claiming a feature has been paid to be featured in 3 games is hardly a sign that it's going to be widely utilised or utilised well. Ray Tracing won't be a feature for anyone but the hardcore PC gaming enthusiast for a long time and certainly won't feature on next gen consoles and given most games are developed with them in mind I can't see it being a common feature any time soon.

With even the cheapest card using the feature being almost £600 I can't exactly see many gamers rushing to buy these and that's if the miners don't just buy them all anyway.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: NVIDIA unveils Quadro RTX, world's first ray tracing GPU (16 TFLOPS)
by That's not a growth » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:28 am

Also, those scene weren't fully Ray traced, just individual aspects. Seems like this will be like other current Nvidia tech, like hairworks or that particle system, used in small circumstances - at least for the time being.

HSH28
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: NVIDIA unveils Quadro RTX, world's first ray tracing GPU (16 TFLOPS)
by HSH28 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:08 pm

Peter Crisp wrote:A promotional video claiming a feature has been paid to be featured in 3 games is hardly a sign that it's going to be widely utilised or utilised well. Ray Tracing won't be a feature for anyone but the hardcore PC gaming enthusiast for a long time and certainly won't feature on next gen consoles and given most games are developed with them in mind I can't see it being a common feature any time soon.

With even the cheapest card using the feature being almost £600 I can't exactly see many gamers rushing to buy these and that's if the miners don't just buy them all anyway.


Not sure you can say that.

Granted at the moment it doesn't seem likely, but you don't know what graphics solution the next MS and Sony consoles will have. Its not impossible they'll have an Nvidia RTX part in them.

User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: NVIDIA unveils Quadro RTX, world's first ray tracing GPU (16 TFLOPS)
by Brerlappin » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:46 pm

This is just hairworks or physx 2.0. very nice to look at but extremely taxing (reports are BFV can't do 1080p 60 on an RTX 2080 with Ray Tracing on, and Shadow of the Tomb Raider is 40-50fps @ 1080p) and probably won't be adopted by too many developers until it becomes less of a resource hog.

User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: NVIDIA unveils Quadro RTX, world's first ray tracing GPU (16 TFLOPS)
by That's not a growth » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:00 pm

Wow, that's worse than I thought it would be. It'll be interesting when there are decent comparisons to see how much Ray tracing will be in an average scene and how much of a difference it makes.

User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: NVIDIA unveils Quadro RTX, world's first ray tracing GPU (16 TFLOPS)
by Peter Crisp » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:25 pm


jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: NVIDIA unveils GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, world's first ray tracing GPU ($1,199, 13.4 TFLOPS)
by NickSCFC » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:37 pm












Image
Oblomov Boblomov wrote:I remember playing through one of the female character's campaigns in Tekken 2 just so I could desperately try and fit in a wank for the ending video

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: <]:^D, Balladeer, Dig Dug, Frank, Jordan UK, KK, Kriken, Lagamorph, Miguel007, OldSoulCyborg, Robbo-92, Sandy, Trelliz, Wrathy and 44 guests