Patrick Stewart to star in new Star Trek TV series

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Monkey Man
Member
Joined in 2008

PostPatrick Stewart to star in new Star Trek TV series
by Monkey Man » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:57 pm

Image

It’s really truly happening: Patrick Stewart has been cast in a new Star Trek series.

Stewart will reprise his iconic character, Jean-Luc Picard, for a CBS All Access series that “will tell the story of the next chapter of Picard’s life.”

Stewart himself just announced the news in a surprise appearance at the Las Vegas Star Trek Convention.

“I will always be very proud to have been a part of Star Trek: The Next Generation, but when we wrapped that final movie in the spring of 2002, I truly felt my time with Star Trek had run its natural course,” Stewart said. “It is, therefore, an unexpected but delightful surprise to find myself excited and invigorated to be returning to Jean-Luc Picard and to explore new dimensions within him. Seeking out new life for him, when I thought that life was over.”

Stewart added that now, in particular, seems like a good time to bring back the character, who exemplified calm, moral, reasoned leadership. “During these past years, it has been humbling to hear many stories about how The Next Generation brought people comfort, saw them through difficult periods in their lives or how the example of Jean-Luc inspired so many to follow in his footsteps, pursuing science, exploration and leadership,” he said. “I feel I’m ready to return to him for the same reason – to research and experience what comforting and reforming light he might shine on these often very dark times. I look forward to working with our brilliant creative team as we endeavor to bring a fresh, unexpected and pertinent story to life once more.

Star Trek: Discovery showrunner Alex Kurtzman will be an executive producer on the new series, and stated, “With overwhelming joy, it’s a privilege to welcome Sir Patrick Stewart back to the Star Trek fold. For over 20 years, fans have hoped for the return of Captain Jean-Luc Picard and that day is finally here. We can’t wait to forge new ground, surprise people, and honor generations both new and old.”

CBS isn’t releasing any additional information at this time, such as the show’s title or release date. But Star Trek: Discovery returns in January.

http://ew.com/tv/2018/08/04/patrick-ste ... ium=social



Image

Last edited by Monkey Man on Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Patrick Stewart to star in new Star Trek TV series
by Lagamorph » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:59 pm

Image

If it's a CBS Access series like Discovery then hopefully that means a Netflix release everywhere else.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Patrick Stewart to star in new Star Trek TV series
by Ironhide » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:01 pm

Tea, Earl Grey, Hot.

Image
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Patrick Stewart to star in new Star Trek TV series
by Peter Crisp » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:04 pm

I know nothing about this series but I have zero hesitation in proclaiming it the best TV series in history and will makes Game of Thrones look like strawberry floating gooseberry fool.

Seriously though, if they can do as good a job of being a homage to TNG as The Orvile (albeit without the jokes obviously) then this should be great but they need to go back to the optimism and exploration of TNG and not have the end of the world type edginess of all current Sci-Fi.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Patrick Stewart to star in new Star Trek TV series
by Peter Crisp » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:04 pm

Ironhide wrote:Tea, Earl Grey, Hot.


If he doesn't say that in episode 1 this show will fail completely :capnscotty: .

In fact I think they should be the opening 4 words of episode 1. I don't give a gooseberry fool if it confuses some people if they don't get the reference they can strawberry float off.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Patrick Stewart to star in new Star Trek TV series
by Lagamorph » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:12 pm

Show is to take place 20 years after Nemesis, so we're talking 2399.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Karl
Seyana!
Seyana!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Patrick Stewart to star in new Star Trek TV series
by Karl » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:15 pm

The world needs The Next Generation now more than ever. I really hope it retains the spirit of that show -- at its best TNG was about rationality and empathy, two things we need much more of today.

User avatar
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: Patrick Stewart to star in new Star Trek TV series
by Garth » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:16 pm

Holy gooseberry fool, amazing news! :shock: :toot:

User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Patrick Stewart to star in new Star Trek TV series
by Peter Crisp » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:19 pm

Karl wrote:The world needs The Next Generation now more than ever. I really hope it retains the spirit of that show -- at its best TNG was about rationality and empathy, two things we need much more of today.


I agree.
The show was at it's best when telling good stories. It wasn't dark and brooding as shows of today are and characters were shown with complex problems that could be solved in positive ways without the need for being offensive for the sake of it.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Somebody Else's Problem
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: Wherever you want me to be, baby

PostRe: Patrick Stewart to star in new Star Trek TV series
by Somebody Else's Problem » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:30 pm

I am honestly, literally (really literally) crying with happiness right now.

Image
User avatar
Meep
Member
Joined in 2010
Location: Belfast

PostRe: Patrick Stewart to star in new Star Trek TV series
by Meep » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:26 pm

Image

User avatar
Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Patrick Stewart to star in new Star Trek TV series
by Cuttooth » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:21 am

Hasn't enough time passed that this should technically just be a reshoot of the future scenes from All Good Things?

So an expansion of how a retired Picard keeps his vineyard nice and healthy.

User avatar
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Patrick Stewart to star in new Star Trek TV series
by Qikz » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:22 am

Meep wrote:Image
.

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Stay Dead...
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Patrick Stewart to star in new Star Trek TV series
by Lagamorph » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:56 am

Cuttooth wrote:Hasn't enough time passed that this should technically just be a reshoot of the future scenes from All Good Things?

So an expansion of how a retired Picard keeps his vineyard nice and healthy.

The future part of All Good Things was 4 years before this is set :D

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Patrick Stewart to star in new Star Trek TV series
by Squinty » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:41 am

Somebody Else's Problem wrote:I am honestly, literally (really literally) crying with happiness right now.


I'm not sure how I feel about it, it could be shite if it isn't handled with care.

But I will watch the gooseberry fool out of it. Picard :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

User avatar
Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Patrick Stewart to star in new Star Trek TV series
by Dowbocop » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:25 am

Lagamorph wrote:
Cuttooth wrote:Hasn't enough time passed that this should technically just be a reshoot of the future scenes from All Good Things?

So an expansion of how a retired Picard keeps his vineyard nice and healthy.

The future part of All Good Things was 4 years before this is set :D

Doesn't he have early stage space dementia in that episode?

strawberry floating MEGAHYPED as well by the way!

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Patrick Stewart to star in new Star Trek TV series
by Lagamorph » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:37 pm

Dowbocop wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:
Cuttooth wrote:Hasn't enough time passed that this should technically just be a reshoot of the future scenes from All Good Things?

So an expansion of how a retired Picard keeps his vineyard nice and healthy.

The future part of All Good Things was 4 years before this is set :D

Doesn't he have early stage space dementia in that episode?

Yes, but that might just have been Q being a dick to make things harder for future Picard because why the hell not?

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Patrick Stewart to star in new Star Trek TV series
by Dowbocop » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:14 pm

Lagamorph wrote:
Dowbocop wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:
Cuttooth wrote:Hasn't enough time passed that this should technically just be a reshoot of the future scenes from All Good Things?

So an expansion of how a retired Picard keeps his vineyard nice and healthy.

The future part of All Good Things was 4 years before this is set :D

Doesn't he have early stage space dementia in that episode?

Yes, but that might just have been Q being a dick to make things harder for future Picard because why the hell not?

That'd be a shitty retcon though. Actually just after I'd posted it I thought it might be an interesting plot point. Perhaps his Borg encounter has changed how his brain reacts to it. Some TNG episodes were great at dealing with things like neurodegenerative diseases. I'm thinking in particular the one where the Vulcan ambassador loses control of his emotions. And of course if the show is going to be optimistic why can't we have a world where space dementia can be managed (just text TREK to 80045 to donate one strip of gold pressed latinum, thank you...)

Maybe the timeline changed as soon as All Good Things happened so they can gloss over it. You never know with the future episodes.

Last edited by Dowbocop on Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Karl
Seyana!
Seyana!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Patrick Stewart to star in new Star Trek TV series
by Karl » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:17 pm

Dowbocop wrote:Maybe the timeline changed as soon as All Good Things happened so they can gloss over it. You never know with the future episodes.

I have a feeling this will be the out-of-Universe explanation, and in-show that element of the future will just be ignored. Obviously I have no idea what they're planning but I think jumping straight in to "Picard has dementia now" might be a bit heavy for new viewers.

User avatar
Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Patrick Stewart to star in new Star Trek TV series
by Cuttooth » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:41 pm

Karl wrote:
Dowbocop wrote:Maybe the timeline changed as soon as All Good Things happened so they can gloss over it. You never know with the future episodes.

I have a feeling this will be the out-of-Universe explanation, and in-show that element of the future will just be ignored. Obviously I have no idea what they're planning but I think jumping straight in to "Picard has dementia now" might be a bit heavy for new viewers.

Looking back at TNG's final scene, they said as much anyway. Which would make sense since they had two films planned.

At the end of a round (and the usual friendly banter), Crusher begins to wonder why Picard shared the information about the future he encountered with them. La Forge says that it goes against the rules they've heard about not polluting the timeline, but Data believes that the case is different. Since the anomaly never occurred, the future they encounter will be radically different from the one Picard experienced. Riker thinks that Picard told them so that they would not make some mistakes twice, as he looks towards Worf meaningfully. Worf agrees, and they silently affirm their friendship.


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bleachyleachy, Cuttooth, dab, darksideby182, Errkal, Green Gecko, PuppetBoy, Qikz, Ste, Tafdolphin, teh bork, Tragic Magic, Trelliz and 42 guests