(PCGT V) PC gaming is dead, press F to pay respects

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Tragic Magic
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Leicester
Contact:

PostRe: (PCGT V) PC gaming is dead, press F to pay respects
by Tragic Magic » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:38 pm

Why?! Just why?!

User avatar
Advent7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: (PCGT V) PC gaming is dead, press F to pay respects
by Advent7 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:40 pm

Can I pretend to mine bit coins?

User avatar
Knoëleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: (PCGT V) PC gaming is dead, press F to pay respects
by Knoëleo » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:32 pm

What's the cable management like?

User avatar
Meep In Heavenly Peace
Member
Joined in 2010
Location: Belfast

PostRe: (PCGT V) PC gaming is dead, press F to pay respects
by Meep In Heavenly Peace » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:57 pm

Can you plug a VR headset into your simulated PC and simulate playing PC Building Simulator?

User avatar
*<]:^D
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: (PCGT V) PC gaming is dead, press F to pay respects
by *<]:^D » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:20 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:
<]:^D wrote:the level of entitlement in this thread
god forbid a free resource gets a bit worse for you


I genuinely detest this kind of lazy, simplistic response to complaints. What does it matter if something's free? How does that in any way negate legitimate concerns regarding changes to it?

Entitlement is a belief that one deserve certain privileges. Complaining that a site I enjoy has changed its layout for the worse has strawberry float all to do with that.

youre using adblock on a site that benefits from ads, and you also think that you shouldnt have to subscribe. if you think you are entitled to complain about a "quality" (lets admit, its better than most of the games websites out there) games journalism website, and not have to contribute in any way to it, yes i do call that entitled.

User avatar
Rudolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: (PCGT V) PC gaming is dead, press F to pay respects
by Rudolphin » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:41 pm

<]:^D wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:
<]:^D wrote:the level of entitlement in this thread
god forbid a free resource gets a bit worse for you


I genuinely detest this kind of lazy, simplistic response to complaints. What does it matter if something's free? How does that in any way negate legitimate concerns regarding changes to it?

Entitlement is a belief that one deserve certain privileges. Complaining that a site I enjoy has changed its layout for the worse has strawberry float all to do with that.

youre using adblock on a site that benefits from ads, and you also think that you shouldnt have to subscribe. if you think you are entitled to complain about a "quality" (lets admit, its better than most of the games websites out there) games journalism website, and not have to contribute in any way to it, yes i do call that entitled.


I mean...did you read any of my posts before deciding to reply? I've addressed all of this.

For the latter part you are again talking in derivative buzzwordy arguments with no real significance. Of course I can complain about something I haven't contributed to! That's largely how criticism works.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
*<]:^D
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: (PCGT V) PC gaming is dead, press F to pay respects
by *<]:^D » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:51 pm

yeah i did
i also read rps, my response to the redesign was "thats a shame" - i didnt feel the need to complain about it or negatively highlight adblock users complaining about the white space in the new design because i dont contribute to the site in any way.
:simper:
edit in response to edit: yes you can complain all you want, but the degree and the type can lead you open to accusations of entitlement

User avatar
Rudolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: (PCGT V) PC gaming is dead, press F to pay respects
by Rudolphin » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:54 pm

I do not get your viewpoint at all here. It's a bad design, myself and others pointed out it was a bad design and that's apparently entitlement. I didn't start demanding they change it, I didn't start harassing their editor claiming it was gooseberry fool, I made a forum post about it before fixing it for myself by adding some CSS to a browser extension...

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: (PCGT V) PC gaming is dead, press F to pay respects
by Green Gecko » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:11 pm

The landscape layout on mobile shunts one giant block of content to the left with literally nothing else to the right, just a huge empty space. There are again completely unnecessary giant white margins either side reducing the already small screen space. I don't understand why these things aren't tested to become immediately obvious, speaking as a designer. It's bizarre. You don't even need to use a mobile device to do it.

Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
Yulehide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: (PCGT V) PC gaming is dead, press F to pay respects
by Yulehide » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:12 pm

I don't mind seeing the blank space where the ads would be, what I do mind is the constant harassment to turn off adblock, I'm well within my rights to use it so I'd appreciate it if they could you know, strawberry float off and leave me alone.

Image
User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: (PCGT V) PC gaming is dead, press F to pay respects
by Green Gecko » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:19 pm

Eurogamer informs me I use it on every single page now. They used to have white and black text ads if you used Adblock but they slowly crept back to normal "acceptable ads". My CPU gets strawberry floated if I enable ads on most sites.

Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
Karl
Seyana!
Seyana!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: (PCGT V) PC gaming is dead, press F to pay respects
by Karl » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:43 pm

My understanding is that it's possible to make some ad revenue without being obnoxious. If you need to grossly compromise your user experience to maximise that revenue, then your business model is probably flawed &/ not sustainable, and you're going to bleed users long-term.

People liked RPS because it was independent and had a clear, simple website. Now it's owned by a megacorporation and stuffs ads through your ring. This is their choice - I don't believe I have a right to RPS being run a certain way - but a consequence of those choices is that people are going to stop visiting (and fingers crossed find other websites like they more).

User avatar
Rudolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: (PCGT V) PC gaming is dead, press F to pay respects
by Rudolphin » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:33 am

In entitlement news:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/0 ... ree-games/

The RPS Supporter Program has grown up. As of last week, signing up for a six or twelve month stint as one of our favourite readers gets you an officially ads-free version of the website alongside extra articles and free stuff. You can read more and sign up over here, but this article is specifically about the free stuff you’ll get. Things like: 4 free games, 1 God, 1 hat, and 1 frosty horse. Read on for more details.


Hmm. HHHHMMMM. I think there's two ways to look at this:

1: A new version of those demo disks you used to get on old PC mags! Get a little something extra!
2: A cynical, and conflict-of-interest breeding, ploy to rake in more money for less actual content.

I'm halfway between the two at the moment, but the question of where this money is going is pushing me towards 2. I'm not a dreamer, stubbornly believing RPS was run as a passion project before Big Business came along and swallowed them up (well, not entirely...) but this really does stink of some influence from higher ups. "Increase monetisation" is clearly one of RPS's key goals, and the fact its now so overt makes me sad.

Also, these 'gifts' are bottom-of-a-PC-World-bargain-bucket bad.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: (PCGT V) PC gaming is dead, press F to pay respects
by Mafro » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:51 pm


HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
Jenu-All I Want For Christmas
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: (PCGT V) PC gaming is dead, press F to pay respects
by Jenu-All I Want For Christmas » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:47 am

The new RPS design really is terrible, but I can't muster the energy to really care that much any more.

It has probably been a good few years since I really felt any "connection" to RPS - all of the good writers have long since abandoned it, it seems to focus much more on short PR regurgitation "news" articles than the long form content and series that it was known for back in the day, and the writers that are there now seem to have more interest in discussing the kinds of games that don't really interest me.

Oh well.

ImageImage
User avatar
Yulehide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: (PCGT V) PC gaming is dead, press F to pay respects
by Yulehide » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:17 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:In entitlement news:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/0 ... ree-games/

The RPS Supporter Program has grown up. As of last week, signing up for a six or twelve month stint as one of our favourite readers gets you an officially ads-free version of the website alongside extra articles and free stuff. You can read more and sign up over here, but this article is specifically about the free stuff you’ll get. Things like: 4 free games, 1 God, 1 hat, and 1 frosty horse. Read on for more details.


Hmm. HHHHMMMM. I think there's two ways to look at this:

1: A new version of those demo disks you used to get on old PC mags! Get a little something extra!
2: A cynical, and conflict-of-interest breeding, ploy to rake in more money for less actual content.

I'm halfway between the two at the moment, but the question of where this money is going is pushing me towards 2. I'm not a dreamer, stubbornly believing RPS was run as a passion project before Big Business came along and swallowed them up (well, not entirely...) but this really does stink of some influence from higher ups. "Increase monetisation" is clearly one of RPS's key goals, and the fact its now so overt makes me sad.

Also, these 'gifts' are bottom-of-a-PC-World-bargain-bucket bad.


This "pay us to remove ads" thing has approved on a couple of sites I visit, like strawberry float am I going to do that.

Image
User avatar
Winckle
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: (PCGT V) PC gaming is dead, press F to pay respects
by Winckle » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:29 pm

There are several websites where I pay to remove ads. I hate ads, and want to support sites I like.

User avatar
Knoëleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: (PCGT V) PC gaming is dead, press F to pay respects
by Knoëleo » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:34 pm

Winckle wrote:There are several websites where I pay to remove ads. I hate ads, and want to support sites I like.

There aren't many sites I pay for ad free versions of, but I subscribe to several Youtube channels on Patreon for the same reason, and so I don't have to feel guilty for adblocking the whole site otherwise.

User avatar
Trelliz
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: (PCGT V) PC gaming is dead, press F to pay respects
by Trelliz » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:19 pm


Tragic Magic wrote:I'm giving esteem a name of crafty Fu mining pinitz strawberry float me I live roasted ponuts

Never pre-order or pre-purchase a console, game or season pass.
User avatar
Karl
Seyana!
Seyana!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: (PCGT V) PC gaming is dead, press F to pay respects
by Karl » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:45 pm

Trelliz wrote:
As a person who identifies as an attack helicopter,

On the one hand, I really hate that dumb joke.

On the other, weird dating sims are my specialist subject.

Do I play this?


Return to “Games”