Phone model question

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Christmas Name Change
Bizarre Title
Joined in 2008
AKA: Dan.
Location: Bered Kai Nev

PostPhone model question
by Christmas Name Change » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:29 pm

I need a new phone as my current one is on the verge of giving up entirely. I've been looking at what else is out there but the problem is, none of it makes any sense to me...

I'm thinking a Samsung phone is the most likely option as I've had one for my pay few mobiles and they've all been decent. The three models that seem to be most applicable for my use are the Samsung Galaxies A3, A5 and J5. Assuming they're not paper sizes, I have no clue what the difference is between any of these models, and all the various sites advertising them seem to list the same or similar specs. So I don't even know which is the most desirable of these three (although I assume the A5 is better than the A3?) I know not to get the J3 as that only has 8GB of device storage but beyond that, I'm clueless. If anyone on GR could translate into normal English for me I'd be much obliged.

The only non-Samsung option that shows up that seems to be viable is an i Phone. I've not had one before but wouldn't be adverse to one if it was a decent amount. The two in my price range are apparently the iPhone 5s or iPhone SE but again - no clue what this means.

Can anyone help explain? Cheers muchly in advance to anyone who can.

User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: Phone model question
by Errkal » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:31 pm

The Heuawi p9 lite, p10 life and even the p8 lite would be a cracking phone to get and isn't too pricey.

User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Phone model question
by Death's Head » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:48 pm

FWC. Start by telling us what you need from a phone as a minimum (I.e. How you will use it) and say what would be nice to have. Tell us the budget and then the choice becomes very easy(ish).

Yes?
User avatar
Wrathy
Member
Joined in 2015
Location: Location: Location: Location:

PostRe: Phone model question
by Wrathy » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:02 pm

Low tier Samsungs aren't worth getting, you're paying for the brand far more than you're paying for the capabilities of the handset itself.

Death's Head is correct. Huawei are pretty much the way to go if you're in low/mid tier prices. The iPhone SE is cracking in terms of bang for buck, but to me it feels far too small for a 2017 phone. Ultimately it depends on how much you're willing to spend.

User avatar
Christmas Name Change
Bizarre Title
Joined in 2008
AKA: Dan.
Location: Bered Kai Nev

PostRe: Phone model question
by Christmas Name Change » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:50 am

Wrathy wrote:The iPhone SE is cracking in terms of bang for buck, but to me it feels far too small for a 2017 phone. Ultimately it depends on how much you're willing to spend.

I'm not bothered about it being small (unless we're talking Game Boy Micro small). Would you recommend it ahead of the 5s?

User avatar
more heat than light
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Leicestershire

PostRe: Phone model question
by more heat than light » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:24 am

The A series Samsungs are perfectly fine, by the way. Yes you pay a premium for the Samsung name, but they're absolutely decent mid-tier phones. The number after the A refers to the size, with the 3 being the smallest and the 7 being the larger model.

jawafour wrote:You definitely have the biggest one, mhtl - it's strawberry-floatin' massive!
User avatar
Wrathy
Member
Joined in 2015
Location: Location: Location: Location:

PostRe: Phone model question
by Wrathy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:50 pm

Fries. Wedges. Crisps? wrote:
Wrathy wrote:The iPhone SE is cracking in terms of bang for buck, but to me it feels far too small for a 2017 phone. Ultimately it depends on how much you're willing to spend.

I'm not bothered about it being small (unless we're talking Game Boy Micro small). Would you recommend it ahead of the 5s?


In hardware terms it's effectively two years ahead of the 5S, which is due to be unsupported (ie rendered obsolete) by Apple and app developers in the near future. It's the clear choice to make if you're looking for an iPhone.

more heat than light wrote:The A series Samsungs are perfectly fine, by the way. Yes you pay a premium for the Samsung name, but they're absolutely decent mid-tier phones. The number after the A refers to the size, with the 3 being the smallest and the 7 being the larger model.


Yeah to be fair the a5 2017 isn't bad, but you do need to watch the year of manufacture as there are some pretty hefty spec difference between them. I find android struggles on anything that doesn't have a pretty big punch under it (e.g. my old work phone slowed down inexplicably after 18 decent months) so I'm of the mindset that paying more (or researching carefully) for something a bit beefier is money well spent. I'm an extreme case who uses the phone for about 8h a day though. (Camera, MP3, satnav, etc - it all adds up)

User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: RE: Re: Phone model question
by Death's Head » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:58 pm

Wrathy wrote:
Yeah to be fair the a5 2017 isn't bad, but you do need to watch the year of manufacture as there are some pretty hefty spec difference between them. I find android struggles on anything that doesn't have a pretty big punch under it (e.g. my old work phone slowed down inexplicably after 18 decent months) so I'm of the mindset that paying more (or researching carefully) for something a bit beefier is money well spent. I'm an extreme case who uses the phone for about 8h a day though. (Camera, MP3, satnav, etc - it all adds up)


By comparison, my OnePlus One is still going great after almost 3 years. So much so that I'm looking for a new phone purely because I feel like I should have a new phone and that I'm missing out on something rather than there being a reason for me needing one.

I'm sort of thinking about "upgrading" to a Xiaomi Mi 5 (which I can get for about £250 and has a similar spec to a OnePlus 3) or the Mi 6 (if I can find one for about £300).

Yes?
User avatar
Curls
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Phone model question
by Curls » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:16 pm

I have an iPhone se. I do like it a lot, however get the version with more memory. The 16gb is too small, unless you're willing to pay extra every single month for their sodding cloud. The problem with iPhones will always be apple trying to make more money from you, guess that's what you have to pay for something slightly sleeker.


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Godzilla, Oblomov Boblomov and 36 guests