Pick Up Post - Share Your Latest Purchases!

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
OrangeReindeer
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Pick Up Post - Share Your Latest Purchases!
by OrangeReindeer » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:34 am

I think you overestimate how many coins I usually have on me

At the moment I have a 50p, a 20p and a 10p. I'll spend coins if I can before breaking a note.

User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Pick Up Post - Share Your Latest Purchases!
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:37 am

Rax wrote:Cos you have a pile of metal in your pocket, or worse a pile of metal making your wallet bulge. Noone needs all that coinage on their person at all times. A few coins for things that need them is grand but people keeping all their change with them is nutty.


I don’t think anybody is saying they carry all of their change on them at all times.

But having coins is useful. If I fancy buying a bar of chocolate, I don’t always want to pay with a £5, £10 or £20 note. Or maybe there will be a collection at work that I want to drop a couple of quid into. Or pass a homeless guy some change. Or have some coins to make up a transaction so that I get a note back rather than even more change.

Plus most wallets have built in compartments for change. Why not use it?

User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Pick Up Post - Share Your Latest Purchases!
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:40 am

OrangeRakoon wrote:I think you overestimate how many coins I usually have on me

At the moment I have a 50p, a 20p and a 10p. I'll spend coins if I can before breaking a note.


In my wallet at the moment, I have one £2 coin, three £1 coins, two 50p coins, six 10p coins, four 20p coins and two 5p coins.

None of that is making my wallet bulge. :lol:

User avatar
Karl
Seyana!
Seyana!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Pick Up Post - Share Your Latest Purchases!
by Karl » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:42 am

Ideally I try to keep a few quid in larger coins (50p up, maybe a few 20ps) in my wallet. It's not heavy, my wallet doesn't jingle or bulge. If I get lots of 2ps or whatever they go straight in an old mug at home that I use for small change obviously.

This mysterious "all their change in the wallet", "they jingle as they walk around", "wallet is bursting at the seams" guy feels like a strawman to me, I have literally never seen anyone do that.

User avatar
Rax
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Raxicori

PostRe: Pick Up Post - Share Your Latest Purchases!
by Rax » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:46 am

Oh they exist, I have seen them many times unfortunately. As mentioned I have no issue with people who carry a couple of coins for things, my issue is with people keeping the coins in their wallet, all their coins, all the time.

User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Pick Up Post - Share Your Latest Purchases!
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:50 am

Rax wrote:Oh they exist, I have seen them many times unfortunately. As mentioned I have no issue with people who carry a couple of coins for things, my issue is with people keeping the coins in their wallet, all their coins, all the time.


That's a little more sensible than your previous posts.

Rax wrote:Also, keeping coins in a wallet is stupid and people who do it should stop immediately.


Rax wrote:When youre out and about and get change you put it in your pocket, then when you get home you put it in a piggy bank of some kind to cash in later. Noone should leave the house with a pocket full of coins jingling away, change for the bus/train/supermarket trolley is acceptable but only bring exactly what you need for that transaction.

User avatar
Rax
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Raxicori

PostRe: Pick Up Post - Share Your Latest Purchases!
by Rax » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:51 am

Well excuse me for not clarifying to the nth degree what I meant in my initial statement and not covering every acceptable situation where coins might be required. I will be sure to be more thorough in future.

User avatar
*<]:^D
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Pick Up Post - Share Your Latest Purchases!
by *<]:^D » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:54 am

i used to keep my change in my wallet - it was annoying, it did bulge, and the wallet was heavy
i also found myself buying things i didnt want or need with the change
now i put all my loose change straight into a change jar that i collect at home. if i need a coin or two when i go out, i take them with me.
i cash the change at the bank periodically and get a few hundred into my account :datass:
having done both, going 'changeless' is far superior

User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Pick Up Post - Share Your Latest Purchases!
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:57 am

Rax wrote:Well excuse me for not clarifying to the nth degree what I meant in my initial statement and not covering every acceptable situation where coins might be required. I will be sure to be more thorough in future.


You did clarify to the nth degree what you thought was acceptable. That was the problem.

User avatar
Jenu-All I Want For Christmas
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Pick Up Post - Share Your Latest Purchases!
by Jenu-All I Want For Christmas » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:18 pm

I used to have a wallet with no coin section in it so I had to just put change straight into my pocket. I thought it would be annoying but actually just made it easier to make sure my level of "carried coin" didn't keep growing over time as it's easier to just dump the coins out of my pocket when I get home.

Carrying coins can be useful, although the number of places that need them is becoming pretty small these days. I used to carry them until recently for car parking but all the local ones can now be done on your phone (through one of about 5 different apps for some reason :fp: ) and similarly I've been seeing many vending machines now accepting card payments so that use for coins is disappearing as well.

All that said I have no problem with carrying a few coins and couldn't give a gooseberry fool how many coins other people are carrying! :D

ImageImage
User avatar
Advent7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Pick Up Post - Share Your Latest Purchases!
by Advent7 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:36 pm

I have someone I employ to follow me around carrying my change for me. Ironically I pay him in coins.

Image
User avatar
OrangeReindeer
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Pick Up Post - Share Your Latest Purchases!
by OrangeReindeer » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:38 pm

Ad7 wrote:I have someone I employ to follow me around carrying my change for me. Ironically I pay him in coins.


Dude you employ someone to do it?? I just get my landlord to do it for me

User avatar
Hyperion
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Beyond the wall

PostRe: Pick Up Post - Share Your Latest Purchases!
by Hyperion » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:58 pm

Keeping coins in a wallet :dread:
I strawberry floating hate change

Image
Ad7 wrote:stop moaning about it
User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Pick Up Post - Share Your Latest Purchases!
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:01 pm

Hyperion wrote:Keeping coins in a wallet :dread:
I strawberry floating hate change


I think this is all some sort of wind up. Unless you literally throw away any change you get, how is it better to have coins loose in your pocket than putting them tidily away in a wallet?

User avatar
Bunni
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Pick Up Post - Share Your Latest Purchases!
by Bunni » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:07 pm

My purse is Kate Spade. I got it second hand to see if I’d actually use the bloody thing before investing in a decent one. That was about three years ago. I’ll update eventually since I’ve now got in the habit of using it every day, but it’s not a priority. I’d probably spend a good amount on one, maybe another Kate Spade in the sale as the cheaper ones I’ve had before just get worn out quickly.

Today (and the last two days) I bought is huge pile of Korean skincare. About £100 worth, but to buy them online at home would come to about 4 times that much. But they gave me like, 15 face masks and handfuls of samples and a mirror for free too.

User avatar
Hyperion
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Beyond the wall

PostRe: Pick Up Post - Share Your Latest Purchases!
by Hyperion » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:10 pm

Moggy wrote:
Hyperion wrote:Keeping coins in a wallet :dread:
I strawberry floating hate change


I think this is all some sort of wind up. Unless you literally throw away any change you get, how is it better to have coins loose in your pocket than putting them tidily away in a wallet?

It's not a purse

Image
Ad7 wrote:stop moaning about it
User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Pick Up Post - Share Your Latest Purchases!
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:17 pm

Hyperion wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Hyperion wrote:Keeping coins in a wallet :dread:
I strawberry floating hate change


I think this is all some sort of wind up. Unless you literally throw away any change you get, how is it better to have coins loose in your pocket than putting them tidily away in a wallet?

It's not a purse


Who said it was?

Most wallets have a compartment for coins. And it’s far better and tidier to use that, than to exit a shop with all of your change rattling around in your pocket.

User avatar
Hyperion
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Beyond the wall

PostRe: Pick Up Post - Share Your Latest Purchases!
by Hyperion » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:22 pm

Moggy wrote:
Hyperion wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Hyperion wrote:Keeping coins in a wallet :dread:
I strawberry floating hate change


I think this is all some sort of wind up. Unless you literally throw away any change you get, how is it better to have coins loose in your pocket than putting them tidily away in a wallet?

It's not a purse


Who said it was?

Most wallets have a compartment for coins. And it’s far better and tidier to use that, than to exit a shop with all of your change rattling around in your pocket.


If it's in your pocket you can quickly get rid of it rather than holding on to it

Image
Ad7 wrote:stop moaning about it
User avatar
Advent7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Pick Up Post - Share Your Latest Purchases!
by Advent7 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:25 pm

Rattling around :lol: I've got about a fiver in change in my pocket that I only remember is there when it goes everywhere at the end of the day when I'm rolling my trousers up to go in my paniers.

Image
User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Pick Up Post - Share Your Latest Purchases!
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:25 pm

Hyperion wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Hyperion wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Hyperion wrote:Keeping coins in a wallet :dread:
I strawberry floating hate change


I think this is all some sort of wind up. Unless you literally throw away any change you get, how is it better to have coins loose in your pocket than putting them tidily away in a wallet?

It's not a purse


Who said it was?

Most wallets have a compartment for coins. And it’s far better and tidier to use that, than to exit a shop with all of your change rattling around in your pocket.


If it's in your pocket you can quickly get rid of it rather than holding on to it


Not if I’m on my way to work for the day.


Return to “Stuff”