20 years of PlayStation - "At least I can say... I've lived"

Anything to do with games at all.

What's your favourite PlayStation game/series?

Metal Gear Solid
18
28%
Resident Evil
8
12%
Final Fantasy
9
14%
Tomb Raider
4
6%
Gran Turismo
5
8%
Tekken
3
5%
Crash Bandicoot
6
9%
WipEout
4
6%
Ridge Racer
2
3%
Spyro
4
6%
Syphon Filter
0
No votes
Dino Crisis
0
No votes
Colony Wars
0
No votes
Parappa the Rapper
0
No votes
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
2
3%
Parasite Eve
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 65
User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: 20 years of PlayStation - "At least I can say, I've lived"
by NickSCFC » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:07 am

I do think having different platforms is less of an issue now.

As PC, PS4 and Xbox all share the same X86 architecture it's become more affordable for developers to easily port between the three.

It's a shame that Nintendo don't look like they'll be joining this club with the NX.

Image Image
User avatar
Poser
Banned
Joined in 2008
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne

PostRe: 20 years of PlayStation - "At least I can say, I've lived"
by Poser » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:22 am

Crazy to talk in absolutes about this sort of stuff.

Sony has done huge things for the industry: of that there is no question. However, the discussion above, to me, underlines how important it is to retain competition in the console sector. All the best developments have been born of a desire to gain a competitive edge.

This is why it's madness to 'side' with a manufacturer. They're all helping to push the industry to new and better things.

Image
User avatar
romeo G. Detlev Jr.
Bizarre Title
Joined in 2008
AKA: Dan.
Location: Bered Kai Nev

PostRe: 20 years of PlayStation - "At least I can say, I've lived"
by romeo G. Detlev Jr. » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:28 am

They could still create their own OSs and hardware, they just need to agree to standard format. So you only buy one disc copy of say GTAV, but it works equally on the PS4, X1 and Wiiu, for example.

User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: 20 years of PlayStation - "At least I can say, I've lived"
by Death's Head » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:32 am

Dan. wrote:They could still create their own OSs and hardware, they just need to agree to standard format. So you only buy one disc copy of say GTAV, but it works equally on the PS4, X1 and Wiiu, for example.

Really depends on whether manufacturers want sales to make more money from their exclusive software sales or the actual hardware itself. If the software was the same on every machine, what would influence people to buy a specific console? What would happen to the other manufacturers if one manufacturer streamed ahead? Would they go out of business? Would they be forced into keep churning out new variants?

Yes?
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: 20 years of PlayStation - "At least I can say, I've lived"
by Moggy » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:33 am

Dan. wrote:They could still create their own OSs and hardware, they just need to agree to standard format. So you only buy one disc copy of say GTAV, but it works equally on the PS4, X1 and Wiiu, for example.


How would that work with hardware differences though? Would the PS4 version be compromised so it works on Wii U? Because if so, I can't see people going for that.

A standard hardware spec across the console manufacturers would be required and I can't see that happening any time soon. There is too much money to be made.

User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: 20 years of PlayStation - "At least I can say, I've lived"
by NickSCFC » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:37 am

Would work quite easily, remember that Xbox One has an Xbox OS for running games, and a Windows OS for everything else.

Image Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: 20 years of PlayStation - "At least I can say, I've lived"
by Moggy » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:39 am

NickSCFC wrote:Would work quite easily, remember that Xbox One has an Xbox OS for running games, and a Windows OS for everything else.


You think that PS4 quality GTAV would run easily on Wii U?

User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: 20 years of PlayStation - "At least I can say, I've lived"
by NickSCFC » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:42 am

Moggy wrote:
NickSCFC wrote:Would work quite easily, remember that Xbox One has an Xbox OS for running games, and a Windows OS for everything else.


You think that PS4 quality GTAV would run easily on Wii U?


I was talking about hardware manufacturers using their own OS to distinguish themselves.

Image Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: 20 years of PlayStation - "At least I can say, I've lived"
by Moggy » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:46 am

NickSCFC wrote:
Moggy wrote:
NickSCFC wrote:Would work quite easily, remember that Xbox One has an Xbox OS for running games, and a Windows OS for everything else.


You think that PS4 quality GTAV would run easily on Wii U?


I was talking about hardware manufacturers using their own OS to distinguish themselves.


Which they do already. What's that got to do with the actual conversation that we were all having?

The only way you could have a single format is to have a standard spec that consoles have to be built to. Where is the motivation for Sony or Microsoft to agree to that? The PS5 and Xbone2 being the exact same spec and running the exact same games on the exact same discs (but with a slightly different looking OS) is not what either company would want.

User avatar
Super Dragon 64
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: 20 years of PlayStation - "At least I can say, I've lived"
by Super Dragon 64 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:52 pm

NickSCFC wrote:Except most PC games don't run properly on most PCs. It's a strawberry floating minefield to the average consumer.

They do and no, it isn't. Arkham Knight and Battlefield 4 are probably the biggest examples of games not working properly in the past few years but the vast majority of titles run without issues.

Image
User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: 20 years of PlayStation - "At least I can say, I've lived"
by NickSCFC » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:58 pm

Super Dragon 64 wrote:
NickSCFC wrote:Except most PC games don't run properly on most PCs. It's a strawberry floating minefield to the average consumer.

They do and no, it isn't. Arkham Knight and Battlefield 4 are probably the biggest examples of games not working properly in the past few years but the vast majority of titles run without issues.


You must have a different definition for PC as me. Try running those games on cheap laptop or tablet from PC World.

Image Image
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: 20 years of PlayStation - "At least I can say, I've lived"
by Ironhide » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:06 pm

NickSCFC wrote:
Super Dragon 64 wrote:
NickSCFC wrote:Except most PC games don't run properly on most PCs. It's a strawberry floating minefield to the average consumer.

They do and no, it isn't. Arkham Knight and Battlefield 4 are probably the biggest examples of games not working properly in the past few years but the vast majority of titles run without issues.


You must have a different definition for PC as me. Try running those games on cheap laptop or tablet from PC World.


There's so much variation in PC specs that it's almost impossible for non tech savvy people to know if game x will run on their machine or not, this is why games consoles are still popular as you're guaranteed that a PS4 game will run perfectly on your PS4 (crap ports aside).

PCs may be the 'best' in terms of raw power and flexibility but for a user friendly no hassle gaming platform the humble console wins hands down.

Image
User avatar
Super Dragon 64
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: 20 years of PlayStation - "At least I can say, I've lived"
by Super Dragon 64 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:15 pm

No hassle :lol:

Image
User avatar
Albear
Moderator
Joined in 2008

PostRe: 20 years of PlayStation - "At least I can say, I've lived"
by Albear » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:19 pm

Metroid Prime is a rubbish FPS

HSH28
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: 20 years of PlayStation - "At least I can say, I've lived"
by HSH28 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:34 pm

suzzopher wrote:
HSH28 wrote:
suzzopher wrote:Unless you define mobile games as modern gaming then blame the DS and Wii.


That's a bit of a cheap shot.



Not sure how that was a cheap shot, I love both systems, they have amazing games, but they really were the precursor to the throw away tat that makes up a large part of mobile gaming....not to say there are no good games on mobile, Pac-Man 256 might be my game of the year.


I don't agree the DS or Wii were precursors to any throw away tat at all, obviously the DS was home to a lot of early touch based game ideas and both systems (the Wii more than the DS) expanded the types of people who play games. But I don't think you can blame the DS or Wii for crappy mobile games.

Last edited by HSH28 on Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
HSH28
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: 20 years of PlayStation - "At least I can say, I've lived"
by HSH28 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:44 pm

suzzopher wrote:
HSH28 wrote:
suzzopher wrote:Unless you define mobile games as modern gaming then blame the DS and Wii.


That's a bit of a cheap shot.

I really think you've got to give Nintendo some credit for the current era of gaming as well though. Remember the PS launched with a controller that had no analogue sticks, you could argue it was the N64 that really pushed 3D gameplay with analogue control to the fore.


I wasn't thinking about control inputs, I was thinking in terms of the sort of games we play, Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo, Resident Evil etc these sort of games changed things in a bigger way than 3D movement did.

If you can credit Nintendo with anything in the current gaming industry it would be the console FPS genre, Goldeneye was the one that really got the ball rolling.


Really? MGS was a 3D sequel to a MSX game, GT was just a console stab at a racing simulation game that would have come in some form on whatever console was powerful enough and Resident Evil was just a more polished and popular version of the already existing on another console in Alone in the Dark.

Of course Sony and the PlayStation popularised these games, but I'd see in more in the middle of a continuum pushing gaming forward than a truly separate thing to what came before. I'm not saying don't celebrate what Sony and PlayStation did for gaming but putting it in its place amongst everything else does it more justice than trying to say it stands alone as its own thing at the beginning of a modern era of gaming as far as I'm concerned.

User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: 20 years of PlayStation - "At least I can say, I've lived"
by Ad7 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:45 pm

The state of this thread :dread:

LEAVE PLAYSTATION ALONE!

Image

User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: 20 years of PlayStation - "At least I can say, I've lived"
by NickSCFC » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:04 pm


Image Image
User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: 20 years of PlayStation - "At least I can say, I've lived"
by NickSCFC » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:07 am

PlayStation was launched in the UK 20 years ago today


Image Image
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: 20 years of PlayStation - "At least I can say, I've lived"
by jawafour » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:14 am

NickSCFC wrote:PlayStation was launched in the UK 20 years ago today...

On this day twenty years ago I was in Beatties picking up the PlayStation and Ridge Racer. Such great memories :wub: .

But... twenty years ago. *TWENTY* :shock: .


Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], black stig, deathofcows, OldSoulCyborg, Pedz and 47 guests