Politics Thread 5

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostPolitics Thread 5
by Moggy » Sat May 26, 2018 8:59 am

Errkal wrote:Yo

Can you do a reset on this one when you get a chance is over 100 pages.

Thanks dude

#BringOnThePurge



strawberry floating Errkal, worse than the DUP in coalition with UKIP, illiterate Nazi bastard. :x

Last edited by Moggy on Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:12 am, edited 5 times in total.
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Moggy » Sat May 26, 2018 9:03 am

Poundshop Hopkins on the Irish referendum.



:lol:

User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by NickSCFC » Sat May 26, 2018 9:18 am

news.sky.com/story/amp/changed-beyond-recognition-ireland-witnesses-a-second-uprising-after-abortion-vote-11385726

"All changed, changed utterly," wrote the Irish poet William Butler Yates. He was referring to the aftermath of the Easter Rising over British rule in 1916.

A century later, his homeland has undergone a social and cultural upheaval. The place they once called "Catholic Ireland" has shaken off its past.

Contraception, divorce and same-sex relations were all still illegal in 1980. By the mid-nineties, they had legalised contraception and voted for divorce.

They had to wait another 20 years for a referendum on same-sex marriage. People described that result - 62% for and 38% against - as "a watershed".

Others dared to suggest that a vote on abortion would define this new Ireland. But no one predicted a landslide result on the most emotive of social issues.

Image Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Moggy » Sat May 26, 2018 9:29 am

Northern Ireland really looks like a medieval backwater now. No marriage equality, no chance of an abortion. :dread:

User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Irene Demova

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Dual » Sat May 26, 2018 9:31 am

Good work Ireland.

User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by NickSCFC » Sat May 26, 2018 10:32 am

Does Ireland basically get more backwards the further north you go?


Image Image
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Photek » Sat May 26, 2018 10:37 am

Moggy wrote:Northern Ireland really looks like a medieval backwater now. No marriage equality, no chance of an abortion. :dread:

It’s crazy really when you think about it.

Image
Grcades resident banana split.
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Moggy » Sat May 26, 2018 10:42 am

Photek wrote:
Moggy wrote:Northern Ireland really looks like a medieval backwater now. No marriage equality, no chance of an abortion. :dread:

It’s crazy really when you think about it.


It really is. The amazing thing now is that a significant chunk of Northern Ireland now wants to avoid reunification not because Ireland is Catholic but because they are now far too liberal. :lol:

User avatar
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Garth » Sat May 26, 2018 11:45 am

There is massive support for same sex marriage and abortion in Northern Ireland (landslide support like we've seen in the South), but because of our political situation with the DUP being voted in primarily on their unionism stance, they're in a position to stand in the way of things they don't like, so we're not making the same progress.

User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Photek » Sat May 26, 2018 11:54 am

Well that’s what I mean, the feelings on things in the north are largely in synch with the republic but Unionists gonna Union.

Brexit is not wanted by another landslide in the north also.

I can see a United Ireland in my lifetime, if only because the political system in the north is totally out of touch with the people.

Image
Grcades resident banana split.
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Photek » Sat May 26, 2018 12:05 pm

Free contraception is incoming with this legislation too.

I’m genuinely proud of the sheer volume of support for the Yes vote, there is no Dublin v the rest, there is no Urban v Rural divide it’s brilliant. A vote for compassion and a vote for women.

Image
Grcades resident banana split.
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Moggy » Sat May 26, 2018 12:12 pm

Garth wrote:There is massive support for same sex marriage and abortion in Northern Ireland (landslide support like we've seen in the South), but because of our political situation with the DUP being voted in primarily on their unionism stance, they're in a position to stand in the way of things they don't like, so we're not making the same progress.


I worded it badly but that’s what I meant, the significant chunk might be in the minority, but they hold the keys to change and they are completely out of step with Protestant liberal UK and with the Catholic (and now) liberal Ireland. Hopefully voters in Northern Ireland start removing them from power.

User avatar
Karl
Seyana!
Seyana!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Karl » Sat May 26, 2018 12:18 pm

Photek wrote:Free contraception is incoming with this legislation too.

I’m genuinely proud of the sheer volume of support for the Yes vote, there is no Dublin v the rest, there is no Urban v Rural divide it’s brilliant. A vote for compassion and a vote for women.

From the stats it looks like the only group that didn't overwhelmingly support Yes were crusty old 65+s. Ireland will only get more progressive as they die off, so the future looks bright!

User avatar
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Garth » Sat May 26, 2018 2:32 pm

Boomers gonna boomer.

User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Squinty » Sat May 26, 2018 3:04 pm

This is great so far. I hope it translates to the final result.

Also Tommy Robinson got nicked yesterday. So there's another bit of good news.

User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Photek » Sat May 26, 2018 4:39 pm

Squinty wrote:This is great so far. I hope it translates to the final result.

Also Tommy Robinson got nicked yesterday. So there's another bit of good news.

Final result is more or less in 68% Yes!

Image
Grcades resident banana split.
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Moggy » Sat May 26, 2018 4:41 pm

Photek wrote:
Squinty wrote:This is great so far. I hope it translates to the final result.

Also Tommy Robinson got nicked yesterday. So there's another bit of good news.

Final result is more or less in 68% Yes!


Over 2/3rds. Cracking result.

Ireland bucking the trend for shitty referendums/elections. :wub:

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Moggy » Sat May 26, 2018 6:08 pm


User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Squinty » Sat May 26, 2018 6:46 pm

Photek wrote:
Squinty wrote:This is great so far. I hope it translates to the final result.

Also Tommy Robinson got nicked yesterday. So there's another bit of good news.

Final result is more or less in 68% Yes!


It's great to know that common sense has prevailed for once.

Now, we need a push in NI for it and gay marriage.

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Lagamorph » Sat May 26, 2018 9:11 pm


Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Snowcannon and 59 guests