Politics Thread 5

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Bethlehemster
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Bethlehemster » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:35 pm

Jesus.

User avatar
Ecno
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: There're no Wolves

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Ecno » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:06 pm

I've been at an Economics/Politics festival for the last 3 days. The general consensus is whatever May brings to Parliament will get voted down. She'll go back to the EU a few commas will be moved and a few minor wording changes will be agreed and then that will pass through parliament, as it's no one's interest to vote it down.

http://www.phantomgoal.com

Football Betting Analysis and other related topics.
User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:10 pm

Ecno wrote:I've been at an Economics/Politics festival for the last 3 days. The general consensus is whatever May brings to Parliament will get voted down. She'll go back to the EU a few commas will be moved and a few minor wording changes will be agreed and then that will pass through parliament, as it's no one's interest to vote it down.


Except for Labour who want to force a general election.

Except for the DUP who want to keep N Ireland out of any backstop.

Except for the Tory ERG/Eurosceptics who want a hard Brexit.

Except for the Remainers who want to try and force another referendum.

Apart from that it is in nobodies interest to vote it down.

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Preezy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:03 pm

Ecno wrote:I've been at an Economics/Politics festival for the last 3 days.

P-A-R-T-Y :toot:

User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by lex-man » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:35 pm

Moggy wrote:
Ecno wrote:I've been at an Economics/Politics festival for the last 3 days. The general consensus is whatever May brings to Parliament will get voted down. She'll go back to the EU a few commas will be moved and a few minor wording changes will be agreed and then that will pass through parliament, as it's no one's interest to vote it down.


Except for Labour who want to force a general election.

Except for the DUP who want to keep N Ireland out of any backstop.

Except for the Tory ERG/Eurosceptics who want a hard Brexit.

Except for the Remainers who want to try and force another referendum.

Apart from that it is in nobodies interest to vote it down.


It's not in anyone's interest to not vote it down in the same way it wasn't in anyone's interest to break the military treaties that were put in place in the early part of the 20th century and look how that went.

User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:10 pm



Damn those immigrants causing the loss of Australia’s own culture.

:slol:

User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by lex-man » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:15 pm

Moggy wrote:

Damn those immigrants causing the loss of Australia’s own culture.

:slol:


Maybe they should just start removing everyone who isn't indigenous to the country.

User avatar
Vermi-Claus
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Vermi-Claus » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:34 pm

Isn't most of Australia just descendants of our own criminals who we shipped out there?

Shame we can't still do that actually.

User avatar
DML
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by DML » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:00 pm

lex-man wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Ecno wrote:I've been at an Economics/Politics festival for the last 3 days. The general consensus is whatever May brings to Parliament will get voted down. She'll go back to the EU a few commas will be moved and a few minor wording changes will be agreed and then that will pass through parliament, as it's no one's interest to vote it down.


Except for Labour who want to force a general election.

Except for the DUP who want to keep N Ireland out of any backstop.

Except for the Tory ERG/Eurosceptics who want a hard Brexit.

Except for the Remainers who want to try and force another referendum.

Apart from that it is in nobodies interest to vote it down.


It's not in anyone's interest to not vote it down in the same way it wasn't in anyone's interest to break the military treaties that were put in place in the early part of the 20th century and look how that went.


It only takes one party to not play ball and the government collapses. Thats how shaky it is right now for May.

Image
User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:06 pm

DML wrote:
lex-man wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Ecno wrote:I've been at an Economics/Politics festival for the last 3 days. The general consensus is whatever May brings to Parliament will get voted down. She'll go back to the EU a few commas will be moved and a few minor wording changes will be agreed and then that will pass through parliament, as it's no one's interest to vote it down.


Except for Labour who want to force a general election.

Except for the DUP who want to keep N Ireland out of any backstop.

Except for the Tory ERG/Eurosceptics who want a hard Brexit.

Except for the Remainers who want to try and force another referendum.

Apart from that it is in nobodies interest to vote it down.


It's not in anyone's interest to not vote it down in the same way it wasn't in anyone's interest to break the military treaties that were put in place in the early part of the 20th century and look how that went.


It only takes one party to not play ball and the government collapses. Thats how shaky it is right now for May.


Did anybody break the military treaties of the early 20rh century? One of the biggest problems of WW1 was that all the nations got dragged in thanks to having to stick up for the other countries they had entered alliances with.

It was basically one massive powder keg ready to explode. A bit like Brexit.

User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by lex-man » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:56 pm

Moggy wrote:
DML wrote:
lex-man wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Ecno wrote:I've been at an Economics/Politics festival for the last 3 days. The general consensus is whatever May brings to Parliament will get voted down. She'll go back to the EU a few commas will be moved and a few minor wording changes will be agreed and then that will pass through parliament, as it's no one's interest to vote it down.


Except for Labour who want to force a general election.

Except for the DUP who want to keep N Ireland out of any backstop.

Except for the Tory ERG/Eurosceptics who want a hard Brexit.

Except for the Remainers who want to try and force another referendum.

Apart from that it is in nobodies interest to vote it down.


It's not in anyone's interest to not vote it down in the same way it wasn't in anyone's interest to break the military treaties that were put in place in the early part of the 20th century and look how that went.


It only takes one party to not play ball and the government collapses. Thats how shaky it is right now for May.


Did anybody break the military treaties of the early 20rh century? One of the biggest problems of WW1 was that all the nations got dragged in thanks to having to stick up for the other countries they had entered alliances with.

It was basically one massive powder keg ready to explode. A bit like Brexit.



I suppose the thing that was broken was the belief that by having the agreements in place it will stop war from breaking out. It seems to suggest that in this case the idea that people will ultimately act in their own countries self interest is a flawed way of looking at the world.

User avatar
Christmas CrackErrkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Christmas CrackErrkal » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:56 pm

Vermilion wrote:Isn't most of Australia just descendants of our own criminals who we shipped out there?

Shame we can't still do that actually.


Australia doesn't exist, open your eyes dude it's a conspiracy!

User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:04 pm

lex-man wrote:
Moggy wrote:
DML wrote:
lex-man wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Ecno wrote:I've been at an Economics/Politics festival for the last 3 days. The general consensus is whatever May brings to Parliament will get voted down. She'll go back to the EU a few commas will be moved and a few minor wording changes will be agreed and then that will pass through parliament, as it's no one's interest to vote it down.


Except for Labour who want to force a general election.

Except for the DUP who want to keep N Ireland out of any backstop.

Except for the Tory ERG/Eurosceptics who want a hard Brexit.

Except for the Remainers who want to try and force another referendum.

Apart from that it is in nobodies interest to vote it down.


It's not in anyone's interest to not vote it down in the same way it wasn't in anyone's interest to break the military treaties that were put in place in the early part of the 20th century and look how that went.


It only takes one party to not play ball and the government collapses. Thats how shaky it is right now for May.


Did anybody break the military treaties of the early 20rh century? One of the biggest problems of WW1 was that all the nations got dragged in thanks to having to stick up for the other countries they had entered alliances with.

It was basically one massive powder keg ready to explode. A bit like Brexit.



I suppose the thing that was broken was the belief that by having the agreements in place it will stop war from breaking out. It seems to suggest that in this case the idea that people will ultimately act in their own countries self interest is a flawed way of looking at the world.


But they did believe it was in their countries interest. They all thought they’d give the enemy a damn good thrashing in easy battles before getting home in time for Christmas. And then they died in muddy misery wondering why it wasn’t as easy as they expected. A bit like Brexit.

User avatar
Vermi-Claus
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Vermi-Claus » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:55 am

lex-man wrote:I suppose the thing that was broken was the belief that by having the agreements in place it will stop war from breaking out.




RIP the poor ostrich who died for nothing.

User avatar
Garth of Christmas Future
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Garth of Christmas Future » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:05 pm






User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by KK » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:24 pm

One of tomorrow’s lead stories on the New York Times...

“In Germany, the divide is generational”

Image

Image
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by KK » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:07 pm

Age restrictions on porn websites have been delayed by government again, the digital minister has told MPs.

Margot James said checks, which had been due to come into force by the end of December, are now being pushed back until Easter.

The minister said the system was still yet to be agreed by parliament and once that happened there would need to be a three month period to allow the industry to implement the checks.

The verification system had initially be slated to start in April this year but has been pushed back a number of times as the government and adult industry have grappled with how it will work in practice.

Under the current scheme adult websites will have to provide their own verification software, which will then have to meet standards and checks carried out by the British Board of Film Classification.

Ms James, who gave evidence at the Science and Technology Select Committee today, said the measures were taking longer than she wanted but that they needed to give the adult industry time to get age verifying systems right.

Ms James also suggested that social media companies could come under a similar age verification system in the future after MPs pointed out adult material was easily available on many of the networks.

She said: “We can expect it to be in force by Easter of next year and I make that timetable through the knowledge we have laid the necessary secondary legislation before parliament.

“I am hopeful of getting a slot to debate it before the end of the year. We have always said that we will permit the industry three months of getting up to speed with the practicalities and delivering the age verification that they will be required by law to deliver.

“We have also had to establish with the British Board for Film Classification, which has become the regulator, and they have had to consult on the methods of age verification.

“So it has taken longer than I would have liked but I would balance by a confidence that we have got it right.”

Age restrictions are being brought in under the 2017 Digital Economy Act to protect children from stumbling across pornographic material online.

The age verification software expected to be widely adopted by the adult industry, AgeID, has been developed by MindGeek, one of the largest pornographic companies in the world.

The company has said it will license its software to other adult companies and make it free to smaller sites.

Adult sites that fail to comply with the age verification checks face a number of sanctions including having their addresses blocked in the UK.

Ms James was also asked about why social media companies were not subject to age verification when it was known that pornography was circulating on their networks.

Ms James admitted their exemption was “a weakness in the legislative solution” and said the government would be monitoring the amount of adult material available on social media.

“We have decided to start with the commercial operations while we bring in the age verification techniques that haven’t been widely used to date,” she said

“But we will keep a watching brief on how effective those age verification techniques turn out to be with the commercial providers. We will also keep a close eye on how social media platforms develop in terms of the extent of pornographic material on those platforms, particularly if they are platforms that appeal to children.”

As it currently stands, it means blogging, social media and image-sharing services such as Imgur, Tumblr, Twitter and Reddit, which host vast quantities of pornographic content, will continue to be accessible without any age checks.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/1 ... overnment/

And if you download a VPN the whole thing falls apart...

I’ve started seeing VPN commercials on prime time TV now. They’ll be mainstream at this rate.

Image
User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Alvin Flummux » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:33 am

The next Roku will be a VPN.

User avatar
Vermi-Claus
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Everywhere
Contact:

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Vermi-Claus » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:53 pm

Vegans really don't help themselves when it comes to PR.


User avatar
Christmas CrackErrkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: Politics Thread 5
by Christmas CrackErrkal » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:59 pm

I would love it if it turns out spray paint has some sort of animal product in it.


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: All I want for xmas is the box, Bunni, Silent Right and 58 guests