Octopath Traveler (Nintendo Switch) | Out Now | Demo Available on eShop (Progress Transfers to Full Game)

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Octopath Traveler (Nintendo Switch) | Out Now | Demo Available on eShop (Progress Transfers to Full Game)
by Robbo-92 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:50 pm

Safe to say I'm loving this, about 5 hours in and ima just about to recruit my 4th party member (pretty slow going). Only very minor issue is something that's not even raised it's head yet and it's character levelling. I was hoping as the max party size is 4 and you have 8 characters it'd work like Xenoblade Chronicles for example, all characters level pretty quickly with party ones levelling a bit quicker still. Obviously it may turn out this way but I don't see it which means you'll need to switch regularly or grind before a characters second chapter.

As I said a minor issue that's not an issue yet, other than that I'm loving it!

Image

Image
User avatar
shy guy 64
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Octopath Traveler (Nintendo Switch) | Out Now | Demo Available on eShop (Progress Transfers to Full Game)
by shy guy 64 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:57 pm

finally rounded up all 8 party members, so far alfyn is my favourite, time to get started on the chapter 2s

Image
User avatar
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Octopath Traveler (Nintendo Switch) | Out Now | Demo Available on eShop (Progress Transfers to Full Game)
by Qikz » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:14 am

Bewildering Grace is the MVP

Getting so much XP along with healing bosses for 30k >_>

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Stay Dead...
BAKA
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Octopath Traveler (Nintendo Switch) | Out Now | Demo Available on eShop (Progress Transfers to Full Game)
by BAKA » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:14 am

Bewildering Grace wiped my entire party once. :lol: But between BG and Caits there's little reason to grind, I've found so far. I just reintroduced H'aanit to my party to continue her story chapters, she's more than 10 levels lower than my party, but decked out in a load of (stolen) gear, and she's more than holding her own.

It's a brilliant, addictive game. Ever since unlocking the job shrines I can't resist tinkering, trying to get the best combinations. Turning Therion to a merchant has left me swimming in gold, thanks to his double steal passive stacking with Collect.

User avatar
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Octopath Traveler (Nintendo Switch) | Out Now | Demo Available on eShop (Progress Transfers to Full Game)
by Qikz » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:28 pm

I've nearly maxed out Ophelia as a Scholar as well as her already maxed Cleric. I know her as a dancer makes sense for all the buffs, but having her able to dish out serious damage as well to break a lot of magics is awesome.

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Stay Dead...
BAKA
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Octopath Traveler (Nintendo Switch) | Out Now | Demo Available on eShop (Progress Transfers to Full Game)
by BAKA » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:31 am

I gave Ophilia dancer, mainly for the recover SP at the end of turn passive skill. But she can still dish out some decent damage, I stole a War Mage Staff and it's stronger than the dagger I have for her.

I made Olberic an Apothecary, which seemed a good fit, but now I'm finding as he's the main target for attacks, he also gets status inflicted more than my other team members. Unconsciousness being the most annoying because he can't cure himself of it. So I'm thinking about changing him. I didn't initially want to make him a Hunter because it seemed too obvious, and I keep Therion for his chest opening skills.

The game is insane, I'm encountering bosses who change their weaknesses or obstruct you from exploiting some of them. They've taken the traditional mould and pushed it so far, coming up with some inventive twists. I'm absolutely hooked, it's frequently throwing new stuff at me.

User avatar
Rubix
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol
Contact:

PostRe: Octopath Traveler (Nintendo Switch) | Out Now | Demo Available on eShop (Progress Transfers to Full Game)
by Rubix » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:09 am

I will pick this up at some point, just can’t justify it yet

PLAY | PS4: Nothing | PSVR Tumbler | Switch Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Stardew Valley
WATCH | Westworld S2, The Apprentice 2018, Unsolved S1, Suits S1
READ | Behind Closed Doors
User avatar
CuriousOyster
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Glasgow

PostRe: Octopath Traveler (Nintendo Switch) | Out Now | Demo Available on eShop (Progress Transfers to Full Game)
by CuriousOyster » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:07 pm

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... -worldwide

Really pleased for them. Good availability here helped, I walked into a Smyths and there was 20 on the shelf. Sold out in shops in Japan, crazy.

8 hours in, really enjoying this. Thought the unconnected stories would put me off, but their finding how different they are brilliant.

The battle system, music, levels/skill system are all a joy. Classic in the making and only scratched the surface.

User avatar
shy guy 64
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Octopath Traveler (Nintendo Switch) | Out Now | Demo Available on eShop (Progress Transfers to Full Game)
by shy guy 64 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:59 pm

done five out eight chapter threes now

Image
User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Octopath Traveler (Nintendo Switch) | Out Now | Demo Available on eShop (Progress Transfers to Full Game)
by Robbo-92 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:07 pm

You're getting through it then Shy Guy! I'm just about to start Olberic's first chapter (yeah I'm going slow), BoTW has taken over my gaming time again recently though!

Image

Image
User avatar
Met
Member
Joined in 2015

PostRe: Octopath Traveler (Nintendo Switch) | Out Now | Demo Available on eShop (Progress Transfers to Full Game)
by Met » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:01 am

Beaten Tressa's path the other night and about to start Cyrus' last chapter. Also got one of the hidden bosses down. 50 hours in and it's still some good gooseberry fool. Everyone's a good boy/girl, I love them all.

Hound
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: London, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Octopath Traveler (Nintendo Switch) | Out Now | Demo Available on eShop (Progress Transfers to Full Game)
by Hound » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:26 pm

This game is stunning

Image
Image
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Octopath Traveler (Nintendo Switch) | Out Now | Demo Available on eShop (Progress Transfers to Full Game)
by jawafour » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:23 pm

Hound wrote:This game is stunning

Great to see you back in GR, Hound... and with a "straight to the point" statement :lol: .

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Octopath Traveler (Nintendo Switch) | Out Now | Demo Available on eShop (Progress Transfers to Full Game)
by Jenuall » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:15 pm

Started the prologue demo of this over the weekend, I went with H'aanit as my starting character. Some of the dialogue is hilariously bad - I'm hoping that some of the ways the characters talk is a specific dialect for her village as I don't think I can put up with that for the whole game! :lol:

Combat seems a bit easy and basic so far but hopefully that will improve as the game expands. Other than that I'm really enjoying myself!

ImageImage
User avatar
shy guy 64
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Octopath Traveler (Nintendo Switch) | Out Now | Demo Available on eShop (Progress Transfers to Full Game)
by shy guy 64 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:50 pm

Jenuall wrote:Started the prologue demo of this over the weekend, I went with H'aanit as my starting character. Some of the dialogue is hilariously bad - I'm hoping that some of the ways the characters talk is a specific dialect for her village as I don't think I can put up with that for the whole game! :lol:

Combat seems a bit easy and basic so far but hopefully that will improve as the game expands. Other than that I'm really enjoying myself!


dont worry it is, it confused me for a bit when i git to her for the first time as she was the 7th character i went for

Image
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Octopath Traveler (Nintendo Switch) | Out Now | Demo Available on eShop (Progress Transfers to Full Game)
by Jenuall » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:55 pm

shy guy 64 wrote:
Jenuall wrote:Started the prologue demo of this over the weekend, I went with H'aanit as my starting character. Some of the dialogue is hilariously bad - I'm hoping that some of the ways the characters talk is a specific dialect for her village as I don't think I can put up with that for the whole game! :lol:

Combat seems a bit easy and basic so far but hopefully that will improve as the game expands. Other than that I'm really enjoying myself!


dont worry it is, it confused me for a bit when i git to her for the first time as she was the 7th character i went for


Glad to hear it! I quite like the bits of voice acting so far, it's just the way they drop in odd words every now and then that makes it strange!

It really is a beautiful looking thing as well, you can really see the care that has gone into it!

ImageImage
User avatar
shy guy 64
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Octopath Traveler (Nintendo Switch) | Out Now | Demo Available on eShop (Progress Transfers to Full Game)
by shy guy 64 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:33 pm

finished everyone's chapter 3 so on to the chapter 4's
which i think are the last ones

Image
User avatar
Nun
Member
Joined in 2015

PostRe: Octopath Traveler (Nintendo Switch) | Out Now | Demo Available on eShop (Progress Transfers to Full Game)
by Nun » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:52 pm

Once you've completed everyone's introduction chapters and moved on is there ever any actual interaction between two members of the party?

Playing the demo I couldn't help but think how odd it was that some of the characters essentially just decide to team up together pretty randomly without any prior interactions. I can forgive character introductions as it would be tough to write each of them believably meeting and teaming up together given you can pick and choose who you start with but it kind of sucks if there's never any kind of idle chat between party members or interactions later in the game once all the characters have been recruited.

User avatar
shy guy 64
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Octopath Traveler (Nintendo Switch) | Out Now | Demo Available on eShop (Progress Transfers to Full Game)
by shy guy 64 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:30 pm

Nun wrote:Once you've completed everyone's introduction chapters and moved on is there ever any actual interaction between two members of the party?

Playing the demo I couldn't help but think how odd it was that some of the characters essentially just decide to team up together pretty randomly without any prior interactions. I can forgive character introductions as it would be tough to write each of them believably meeting and teaming up together given you can pick and choose who you start with but it kind of sucks if there's never any kind of idle chat between party members or interactions later in the game once all the characters have been recruited.


yes during each chapter you can see conversations between characters in your party just short pieces of dialogue

also thats me finished alfyn's story 7 more to go

Image
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Octopath Traveler (Nintendo Switch) | Out Now | Demo Available on eShop (Progress Transfers to Full Game)
by Tomous » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:44 pm

Jenuall wrote:Started the prologue demo of this over the weekend, I went with H'aanit as my starting character. Some of the dialogue is hilariously bad - I'm hoping that some of the ways the characters talk is a specific dialect for her village as I don't think I can put up with that for the whole game! :lol:

Combat seems a bit easy and basic so far but hopefully that will improve as the game expands. Other than that I'm really enjoying myself!


I did the same and had exactly the same reaction. I had to google online to make sure it was just that character :slol:


Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: D_C, Damian, DarkRula, Dowbocop, HSH28, Jazzem, Nook29, Osito, Parksey, Pedz, Peter Crisp, Poser, PuppetBoy, Red 5 stella, Ste, the eponymous bollock and 65 guests