The Last Guardian (PS4) - Team Ico

Anything to do with games at all.

Favourite Fumito Ueda game?

Ico (PS2) - 2001
18
51%
Shadow of the Colossus (PS2) - 2005
17
49%
 
Total votes: 35
User avatar
Hero of Canton
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: GRcade
Contact:

PostRe: Project Trico video - the next game from Team ICO
by Hero of Canton » Wed May 20, 2009 11:13 am

CrashHornet wrote:Yeah, it's a type of gryphon, surely? Not rat/cat/bat hybrid. :lol:

It's going to make me cry, isn't it?

:wub:


It's not a traditional gryphon, though - that generally had the head (and often wings) of an eagle and the body of a lion. This looks more like a domestic feline, with an eagle's body and beak and a very rat-like tail. I suppose the closest equivalent is a gryphon, but it's not quite the same.

And yes, it's going to make us all blubber like babies.

DML wrote:F'NARR!
User avatar
emilythestrange
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Vekta
Contact:

PostRe: Project Trico video - the next game from Team ICO
by emilythestrange » Wed May 20, 2009 11:14 am

suzzopher wrote:
MCN wrote:Llet's hope this isn't as cripplingly dull and obsessed with being art as the first game was. That was so busy being art, it forgot to be a game.


:|

Ico was an amazing game and experience. No other game I had played before gave me such an emotional experience without much in the way of narrative. I highly doubt you played the game more than 10 mins with such a statement.


This, Ico was amazing. I cried a little the first time I lost Yorda!

MCN, games don't have to be all laughter, why do you think people watch sad films or read depressing books? It's a wonderful emotional experience.

User avatar
Somebody Else's Problem
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: Wherever you want me to be, baby

PostRe: Project Trico video - the next game from Team ICO
by Somebody Else's Problem » Wed May 20, 2009 11:15 am

CrashHornet wrote:EVERYONE MUST LIKE THE SAME GAMES

We'll have none of that independent thought gooseberry fool around here, poofs.


Fixed.

Image
User avatar
suzzopher
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Cambridge

PostRe: Project Trico video - the next game from Team ICO
by suzzopher » Wed May 20, 2009 11:15 am

emilythestrange wrote:
suzzopher wrote:
MCN wrote:Llet's hope this isn't as cripplingly dull and obsessed with being art as the first game was. That was so busy being art, it forgot to be a game.


:|

Ico was an amazing game and experience. No other game I had played before gave me such an emotional experience without much in the way of narrative. I highly doubt you played the game more than 10 mins with such a statement.


This, Ico was amazing. I cried a little the first time I lost Yorda!

MCN, games don't have to be all laughter, why do you think people watch sad films or read depressing books? It's a wonderful emotional experience.


Exactly this. Not everything is jumping on mushrooms or killing whores.

User avatar
Thongings
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Schmocation
Contact:

PostRe: Project Trico video - the next game from Team ICO
by Thongings » Wed May 20, 2009 11:16 am

Hero of Canton wrote:
CrashHornet wrote:Yeah, it's a type of gryphon, surely? Not rat/cat/bat hybrid. :lol:

It's going to make me cry, isn't it?

:wub:


It's not a traditional gryphon, though - that generally had the head (and often wings) of an eagle and the body of a lion. This looks more like a domestic feline, with an eagle's body and beak and a very rat-like tail. I suppose the closest equivalent is a gryphon, but it's not quite the same.

And yes, it's going to make us all blubber like babies.


Oh, yeah. It's very much a Team Ico 'reimagining' of a gryphon, but I would say that's certainly where the beast was born. Plus, I think 'gryphon' is an awesome word, so I'm going to use it until we have a proper name. :)

The Artist Formerly Known As CrashHornet
User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: Project Trico video - the next game from Team ICO
by Mafro » Wed May 20, 2009 11:16 am

emilythestrange wrote:
suzzopher wrote:
MCN wrote:Llet's hope this isn't as cripplingly dull and obsessed with being art as the first game was. That was so busy being art, it forgot to be a game.


:|

Ico was an amazing game and experience. No other game I had played before gave me such an emotional experience without much in the way of narrative. I highly doubt you played the game more than 10 mins with such a statement.


This, Ico was amazing. I cried a little the first time I lost Yorda!

MCN, games don't have to be all laughter, why do you think people watch sad films or read depressing books? It's a wonderful emotional experience.


First despising Majora's Mask and now this?

MCN = dead inside.

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Project Trico video - the next game from Team ICO
by rinks » Wed May 20, 2009 11:16 am

MCN wrote:I bet one of those emotions wasn't "fun". Which is what games (clue's in the name) are supposed to be.

Firstly, Ico was loads of fun. Secondly, the word "game" does not implicitly mean "fun".

Loves us all since 2008
User avatar
The Alchemist Penguin
Moderator
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Project Trico video - the next game from Team ICO
by The Alchemist Penguin » Wed May 20, 2009 11:16 am

Everyone expects the "thing" to die. It caught us all by surprise both times before but he must know that we know that he knows that we know that it'll die, right?

:(

User avatar
Hero of Canton
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: GRcade
Contact:

PostRe: Project Trico video - the next game from Team ICO
by Hero of Canton » Wed May 20, 2009 11:17 am

MCN wrote:Llet's hope this isn't as cripplingly dull and obsessed with being art as the first game was. That was so busy being art, it forgot to be a game.


Eh? I could understand if you'd said that about, say, Flower, or The Path, or even Noby Noby Boy. But ICO? Are you saying platforming, combat and puzzle-solving aren't game elements? Because that would pretty much eliminate 90% of videogames. Mario Galaxy? Not a game. God of War? Not a game. Tetris? A game? Do me a favour.

MENTAL.

DML wrote:F'NARR!
User avatar
Hero of Canton
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: GRcade
Contact:

PostRe: Project Trico video - the next game from Team ICO
by Hero of Canton » Wed May 20, 2009 11:19 am

CrashHornet wrote:
Hero of Canton wrote:
CrashHornet wrote:Yeah, it's a type of gryphon, surely? Not rat/cat/bat hybrid. :lol:

It's going to make me cry, isn't it?

:wub:


It's not a traditional gryphon, though - that generally had the head (and often wings) of an eagle and the body of a lion. This looks more like a domestic feline, with an eagle's body and beak and a very rat-like tail. I suppose the closest equivalent is a gryphon, but it's not quite the same.

And yes, it's going to make us all blubber like babies.


Oh, yeah. It's very much a Team Ico 'reimagining' of a gryphon, but I would say that's certainly where the beast was born. Plus, I think 'gryphon' is an awesome word, so I'm going to use it until we have a proper name. :)


Yeah, I agree. It has to be spelled that way, too. None of this 'griffin' gooseberry fool. (And the first thing I mentioned in my thoughts on GamerZines' Facebook page was that it was 'gryphon-like', so I do agree with you.)

DML wrote:F'NARR!
User avatar
RetroBait
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Project Trico video - the next game from Team ICO
by RetroBait » Wed May 20, 2009 11:20 am

Could it be your own colossi that you grow up with / be brought up by that you have to go on the run with because someone is out to murderise it?

If so, set tear ducts to flow. :cry: :cry:

User avatar
Fatal Exception
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Racist chinese lover
Location: ಠ_ಠ

PostRe: Project Trico video - the next game from Team ICO
by Fatal Exception » Wed May 20, 2009 11:21 am

The griffin (griffon or gryphon (see below)) is a legendary creature with the body of a lion and the head and often wings of an eagle. As the lion was traditionally considered the king of the beasts and the eagle was the king of the birds, the griffin was thought to be an especially powerful and majestic creature. Griffins are normally known for guarding treasure.[1] In antiquity it was a symbol of divine power and a guardian of the divine.[2]

Most contemporary illustrations give the griffin legs like an eagle's legs with talons, although in some older illustrations it has a lion's forelimbs; it generally has a lion's hindquarters. Its eagle's head is conventionally given prominent ears; these are sometimes described as the lion's ears, but are often elongated (more like a horse's), and are sometimes feathered.


Treasure you say?

According to the Oxford English Dictionary: "the regular modern spelling [for heraldry and surgery related] is griffon, in other senses usually griffin, though gryphon is used by many writers as having more dignified associations."[3]

Although, the spelling "griffon" (from Middle English and Middle French) might be disproportionately common due to overlapping use with the griffon dog breed. Less common variants include gryphen, griffen, and gryphin; from Latin grȳphus, from Greek γρύψ gryps, from γρύπος grypos hooked.

The above post, unless specifically stated to the contrary, should not be taken seriously. If the above post has offended you in any way, please fill in this form and return it to your nearest moderator.
Image
User avatar
Thongings
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Schmocation
Contact:

PostRe: Project Trico video - the next game from Team ICO
by Thongings » Wed May 20, 2009 11:24 am

MCN wrote:
CrashHornet wrote:EVERYONE MUST LIKE THE SAME GAMES

We'll have none of that independent thought gooseberry fool around here, poofs.


Fixed.


I know that this is what you want and everything MCN. But, yes, many people love one of the most beautiful, emotional and most perfectly crafted games ever made because of peer pressure on the internet.

And for the record, it's not anyone telling you "YOU MUST LIKE ICO". It's that you saying such a thing puts across a remarkably narrow view of the medium. If that's what you want out of your games, fab, no-one should stop you. But criticising a game that fulfills its intentions for those intentions is pretty blinkered to be honest. And both Ico and SotC as HoC so rightly says, had brilliantly implemented 'game mechanics'. You know the Trico project is going to be a emotive, artistic piece of work, so why ask? Oh, yes, that's right...

The Artist Formerly Known As CrashHornet
User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Project Trico video - the next game from Team ICO
by Brerlappin » Wed May 20, 2009 11:27 am

Hero of Canton wrote:
MCN wrote:Llet's hope this isn't as cripplingly dull and obsessed with being art as the first game was. That was so busy being art, it forgot to be a game.


Eh? I could understand if you'd said that about, say, Flower, or The Path, or even Noby Noby Boy. But ICO? Are you saying platforming, combat and puzzle-solving aren't game elements? Because that would pretty much eliminate 90% of videogames. Mario Galaxy? Not a game. God of War? Not a game. Tetris? A game? Do me a favour.

MENTAL.


Image

User avatar
Somebody Else's Problem
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: Wherever you want me to be, baby

PostRe: Project Trico video - the next game from Team ICO
by Somebody Else's Problem » Wed May 20, 2009 11:27 am

IF YOU DISLIKE WHAT THE MAJORITY LIKES, YOU ARE A TROLL!

Image
User avatar
Skippy
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Project Trico video - the next game from Team ICO
by Skippy » Wed May 20, 2009 11:27 am

Glad it's old footage. Hope the Griffin thing gets a re-design too. Still looks very nice though although I'm not achieving orgasm like some people.

User avatar
Zartan
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Project Trico video - the next game from Team ICO
by Zartan » Wed May 20, 2009 11:28 am

Hero of Canton wrote:
CrashHornet wrote:
Hero of Canton wrote:
CrashHornet wrote:Yeah, it's a type of gryphon, surely? Not rat/cat/bat hybrid. :lol:

It's going to make me cry, isn't it?

:wub:


It's not a traditional gryphon, though - that generally had the head (and often wings) of an eagle and the body of a lion. This looks more like a domestic feline, with an eagle's body and beak and a very rat-like tail. I suppose the closest equivalent is a gryphon, but it's not quite the same.

And yes, it's going to make us all blubber like babies.


Oh, yeah. It's very much a Team Ico 'reimagining' of a gryphon, but I would say that's certainly where the beast was born. Plus, I think 'gryphon' is an awesome word, so I'm going to use it until we have a proper name. :)


Yeah, I agree. It has to be spelled that way, too. None of this 'griffin' ****. (And the first thing I mentioned in my thoughts on GamerZines' Facebook page was that it was 'gryphon-like', so I do agree with you.)


Going back a bit HoC you said anyone who says its a dog bla bla, but it does look like it has been modeled on a chihuahua.

User avatar
Floex
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Project Trico video - the next game from Team ICO
by Floex » Wed May 20, 2009 11:29 am

About bloody time, huh?

Just as expected, this will be the reason I finally buy a PS3. Amazing how the studio has only done two games yet I'm ready to hand over my funds without even questioning the game

As someone said eariler, I do hope that Griffin thing is changed in the final design or atleast in line with the Colossi.

Though did anyone notice in the video that the Griffin was covered in arrows? 1) How awesome will that sequence be and 2) it's going to die, isn't it? :cry:

User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Project Trico video - the next game from Team ICO
by KK » Wed May 20, 2009 11:32 am

For what it's worth I loved Ico, but couldn't get on with Shadow of the Colossus. I thought the controls, for what needed to be accomplished, stunk to high heaven.

Image
User avatar
mitch
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Project Trico video - the next game from Team ICO
by mitch » Wed May 20, 2009 11:32 am

Klonoa wrote:Everyone expects the "thing" to die. It caught us all by surprise both times before but he must know that we know that he knows that we know that it'll die, right?

:(


The thing will kill the player. Then will be put down.


Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Errkal, Frank, Preezy and 54 guests