PS4 Pro - £349 | 10 Nov 2016 | 4K | 2x GPU | 1TB HDD

Anything to do with games at all.

Will you be buying PS4 Pro

Yes - I already own a PS4
37
33%
Yes - I don't currently own a PS4
8
7%
No - I already own a PS4
47
42%
Photek/monkeyman/moreheatthanlight
20
18%
 
Total votes: 112
User avatar
jiggles
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: pyxl-8

PostRe: PS4 Pro - £349 | 10 Nov 2016 | 4K | 2x GPU | 1TB HDD
by jiggles » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:39 pm

jawafour wrote:
KK wrote:(Huge - and useful - list of new TV response times)

I dunno... this feels like a bit of a step backwards to where we were years ago. I picked up a Samsung monitor for my parents about eight years ago which had a response time of 2ms; and now it's a big thing if the new TVs hit 25 ms. I know that the new screens offer "better quality" etc, but it doesn't seem that great, really.


Display latency (input lag) and pixel response time are different things. The response time of those LG OLED screens mentioned is 0.1ms, while they still show input lag in the 30-40ms range.
Streaming: YouTube Gaming | Tweeting: Twitter
User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: HUNTIN' DUCKS

PostRe: PS4 Pro - £349 | 10 Nov 2016 | 4K | 2x GPU | 1TB HDD
by ITSMILNER » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:51 pm

Saint of Killers wrote:
magicmilner wrote:I'm going to pick up my Pro when i'm back from holiday, I will be transferring all my save data and some installed games from my original PS4 to the Pro, 2 questions

1.) You need a LAN cable to do the transfer correct? Will this one be fine [url]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1M-BLACK-Ethernet-CAT-5e-RJ45-Network-LAN-Patch-Cable-Lead-PC-PS3-PS4-Xbox-360-/351019960149?hash=item51ba6b8755%3Ag%3AqWgAAMXQRPRTHHSz&_trkparms=pageci%253Acffd1a5f-bec3-11e6-b772-74dbd180a4dc%257Cparentrq%253Ae849a3481580a2a4d6705b87ffddd4c3%257Ciid%253A5[/url]

2.) can I pick and choose what saved game installs I transfer over? For instance I only really want to transfer all my game saves, P.T demo and the Lego Dimensions installed game with patches


Yes, according to this FAQ: https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2016/11 ... o-ps4-pro/ So you should be okay. A shame it doesn't allow for a more specified transfer, though. (You know, select games/saves/captures as opposed to it being limited to folders in their entirety.)


Yeah, what I think i'll do is wipe off the games I don't want on the original PS4 and then start the transfer that way
Image

Image
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: PS4 Pro - £349 | 10 Nov 2016 | 4K | 2x GPU | 1TB HDD
by jawafour » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:58 pm

jiggles wrote:Display latency (input lag) and pixel response time are different things. The response time of those LG OLED screens mentioned is 0.1ms, while they still show input lag in the 30-40ms range.

Ah! Okay, thanks jiggs... I don't know what those differences are but I guess I should do some digging and find out. Choosing a screen seems incredibly complex nowdays :) .
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: PS4 Pro - £349 | 10 Nov 2016 | 4K | 2x GPU | 1TB HDD
by KK » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:10 pm

I have the Sony xd93 and I didn't notice any difference playing FIFA 17 and Amplitude at 100 ms, let alone now they've halved it. I think you've got to be a real hardcore gamer to be able to tell. Maybe it's more evident in shooters or some people are just more suseptable to noticing it.
Image
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: PS4 Pro - £349 | 10 Nov 2016 | 4K | 2x GPU | 1TB HDD
by Peter Crisp » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:34 pm

Yey, being old and slow is finally paying off as I'm sure to be unaffected.
jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
jiggles
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: pyxl-8

PostRe: PS4 Pro - £349 | 10 Nov 2016 | 4K | 2x GPU | 1TB HDD
by jiggles » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:39 pm

I don't think you'd notice it with either of those, to be honest. A game like FIFA has a lot of animation to resolve between you pressing a button and the action happening, and a rhythm action game like Amplitude has a lot of compensation for display lag (and even a screen to calibrate the game and negate the issue entirely).

Input lag is more apparent in a game with camera control, and especially something that requires you to be *precise* with it, like a shooter, or in a game like Rocket League, where the action to reaction time is supposed to be instantaneous. I've tried playing Rocket League on my living room TV (from my bedroom PC), over my home network with homeplugs. The homeplugs added 20ms of latency and I couldn't play it at all. The simple act of steering the car towards the ball was impossible for me. Granted, if I'd only ever played it like that, I probably could have dealt with it, but with hundreds of hours of gameplay through my PC monitor building up my muscle-memory, it just felt off and unpleasant.
Streaming: YouTube Gaming | Tweeting: Twitter
User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: HUNTIN' DUCKS

PostRe: PS4 Pro - £349 | 10 Nov 2016 | 4K | 2x GPU | 1TB HDD
by ITSMILNER » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:16 pm

Argos no longer have the deal with the free copy of The Division, whats the best PS4 Pro deals at the moment? Is it worth me waiting a week for after Christmas sales?
Image

Image
User avatar
KingK
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: PS4 Pro - £349 | 10 Nov 2016 | 4K | 2x GPU | 1TB HDD
by KingK » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:49 am

Spent 2 hrs reading about all things 4k over the weekend as I found out my Pro was being displayed is something less than 4k on my 4k screen due to HDCP 1.4

My TV is 2 yrs old and at the time cost over £3k to buy. It's a Samsung 65HU8500 which at the time was one of the top 2 or 3 TV's you could buy. Its a great TV and does a great job on any picture source. It has 4 HDMIs but each one is labelled slightly different (HDMI 1 ARC, HDMI 2 STB, HDMI 3 DVI and HDMI 4 MHL).

Turns out that by connecting my Pro to HDMI1 I was getting 3840x2160 60fps but according to my Pro this was YUV420 and HDCP 1.4. After much googling I found that my HDMI 4 MHL port would return HDCP 2.2 which is the required HDCP level to properly display 4k on my TV.

I was reading a Sky forum where people who had SkyQ and 4k tv's including the same model as mine weren't getting a picture, or weren't getting full 4k. All due to HDCP.

I am now getting the full 4k experience (Tomb Raider's options confirms so) but I'm posting this in case other Pro owners with 4k TV are showing HDCP1.4 in their Pro's display output. If so, try other HDMI ports on your TV. It is possible from what I was reading that you can have a 4k TV that isn't displaying a 4k 60fps picture if you've got a TV that doesn't support HDCP 2.2
Image
BOR
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: PS4 Pro - £349 | 10 Nov 2016 | 4K | 2x GPU | 1TB HDD
by BOR » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:43 pm

magicmilner wrote:Argos no longer have the deal with the free copy of The Division, whats the best PS4 Pro deals at the moment? Is it worth me waiting a week for after Christmas sales?

I've sent you a PM and the best I could find. :)
"The job is done, and the bitch is dead."
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: PS4 Pro - £349 | 10 Nov 2016 | 4K | 2x GPU | 1TB HDD
by KK » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:48 pm

KingK wrote:Spent 2 hrs reading about all things 4k over the weekend as I found out my Pro was being displayed is something less than 4k on my 4k screen due to HDCP 1.4

My TV is 2 yrs old and at the time cost over £3k to buy. It's a Samsung 65HU8500 which at the time was one of the top 2 or 3 TV's you could buy. Its a great TV and does a great job on any picture source. It has 4 HDMIs but each one is labelled slightly different (HDMI 1 ARC, HDMI 2 STB, HDMI 3 DVI and HDMI 4 MHL).

Turns out that by connecting my Pro to HDMI1 I was getting 3840x2160 60fps but according to my Pro this was YUV420 and HDCP 1.4. After much googling I found that my HDMI 4 MHL port would return HDCP 2.2 which is the required HDCP level to properly display 4k on my TV.

I was reading a Sky forum where people who had SkyQ and 4k tv's including the same model as mine weren't getting a picture, or weren't getting full 4k. All due to HDCP.

I am now getting the full 4k experience (Tomb Raider's options confirms so) but I'm posting this in case other Pro owners with 4k TV are showing HDCP1.4 in their Pro's display output. If so, try other HDMI ports on your TV. It is possible from what I was reading that you can have a 4k TV that isn't displaying a 4k 60fps picture if you've got a TV that doesn't support HDCP 2.2

I feel for those that purchased 4K TVs in the first year or 2 as they have really been screwed over: they paid thousands of pounds and neither have the right HDMI ports nor support HDR.
Image
User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: HUNTIN' DUCKS

PostRe: PS4 Pro - £349 | 10 Nov 2016 | 4K | 2x GPU | 1TB HDD
by ITSMILNER » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:17 pm

Just BORbles wrote:
magicmilner wrote:Argos no longer have the deal with the free copy of The Division, whats the best PS4 Pro deals at the moment? Is it worth me waiting a week for after Christmas sales?

I've sent you a PM and the best I could find. :)


Nice one! Thanks BOR!
Image

Image
User avatar
KingK
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: PS4 Pro - £349 | 10 Nov 2016 | 4K | 2x GPU | 1TB HDD
by KingK » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:47 pm

KK wrote:I feel for those that purchased 4K TVs in the first year or 2 as they have really been screwed over: they paid thousands of pounds and neither have the right HDMI ports nor support HDR.

Yeah. I don't have HDR but consol myself in that I can't miss what I've never had. That said, I believe I can buy the latest version of Samsung's Evolution kit (a separate box that has all inputs and outputs for high end Samsung TVs) and this would give me all 4 HDMI ports with HDCP 2.2 and also HDR.

It's £400 to buy that (and not available anywhere I can find) but it means I keep my existing screen. I quite like the idea of being able to upgrade my TV yet keep the same TV. I might wait till the next version of the Evo Kit is out and get that to make my TV current again.
Image
BOR
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: PS4 Pro - £349 | 10 Nov 2016 | 4K | 2x GPU | 1TB HDD
by BOR » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:42 am

magicmilner wrote:
Just BORbles wrote:
magicmilner wrote:Argos no longer have the deal with the free copy of The Division, whats the best PS4 Pro deals at the moment? Is it worth me waiting a week for after Christmas sales?

I've sent you a PM and the best I could find. :)


Nice one! Thanks BOR!

My PM is still in outbox and I guess you haven't read it yet?
"The job is done, and the bitch is dead."
User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: HUNTIN' DUCKS

PostRe: PS4 Pro - £349 | 10 Nov 2016 | 4K | 2x GPU | 1TB HDD
by ITSMILNER » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:03 am

Just BORbles wrote:
magicmilner wrote:
Just BORbles wrote:
magicmilner wrote:Argos no longer have the deal with the free copy of The Division, whats the best PS4 Pro deals at the moment? Is it worth me waiting a week for after Christmas sales?

I've sent you a PM and the best I could find. :)


Nice one! Thanks BOR!

My PM is still in outbox and I guess you haven't read it yet?


Thats weird, I read it through Tapatalk (you had the £329.99 deal listed as well as a couple others)

I got paid yesterday so i'm going to pull the trigger on a purchase tonight!
Image

Image
User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: HUNTIN' DUCKS

PostRe: PS4 Pro - £349 | 10 Nov 2016 | 4K | 2x GPU | 1TB HDD
by ITSMILNER » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:39 am

Just BORbles wrote:
magicmilner wrote:Argos no longer have the deal with the free copy of The Division, whats the best PS4 Pro deals at the moment? Is it worth me waiting a week for after Christmas sales?

I've sent you a PM and the best I could find. :)


I went onto Very.co.uk last night to order a Pro as they had a 10% off code for new customers.....got my Pro ordered for £318.98 including delivery

Should be with me next week!
Image

Image
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: PS4 Pro - £349 | 10 Nov 2016 | 4K | 2x GPU | 1TB HDD
by Peter Crisp » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:50 am

I tried switching my controller to the new USB control scheme to try the better response times and it almost bricked my console so you may not want to bother trying that.
The first thing that tipped me off that something was wrong was that the system instantly thought I had multiple controllers connected when I clearly only had one and the next was when I couldn't even get into a game as the part where it says press X at the start it didn't recognise that I'd pressed anything. Then it decided it didn't want to turn the controller on at all (despite it being linked by the now usb connection) no matter what I did including resetting both the controller and console and trying another controller so I had a machine that I could do nothing with.
I resorted to just unplugging the thing and going through the bad shutdown procedure and it for some reason let me use a controller just long enough to switch back again to the old controller scheme.

The PS4 pro has some really odd controller bugs with this and my controller shutting down randomly even when plugged in to the machine I've had more problems with this than I've had with my old PS4.
jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: PS4 Pro - £349 | 10 Nov 2016 | 4K | 2x GPU | 1TB HDD
by Ad7 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:51 pm

Got given a pro this morning, wasn't expecting to get it so it's very nice.

Now we have 3 ps4s in the house :fp:
User avatar
gamerforever
Member
Joined in 2010

PostRe: PS4 Pro - £349 | 10 Nov 2016 | 4K | 2x GPU | 1TB HDD
by gamerforever » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:03 pm

Advent7 wrote:Got given a pro this morning, wasn't expecting to get it so it's very nice.

Now we have 3 ps4s in the house :fp:


Look, you can't have too many! Merry xmas!
User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: HUNTIN' DUCKS

PostRe: PS4 Pro - £349 | 10 Nov 2016 | 4K | 2x GPU | 1TB HDD
by ITSMILNER » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:18 pm

My Pro arrived this morning :D

Completed the set up and transfer from OG PS4 and now just downloading latest updates for RotTR, Titanfall 2 and Lego Dimensions
Image

Image
User avatar
KingK
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: PS4 Pro - £349 | 10 Nov 2016 | 4K | 2x GPU | 1TB HDD
by KingK » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:17 pm

My Pro won't let me play Driveclub. Says I need to buy it from the store (even though I bought it ages ago digitally). I have previously bought the season pass and Driveclub bikes but now the Store tells me that Driveclub isn't available and the Psplus version Is £11.99 WTF?

Via my iPad I can't download the full version but the Bikes version does say 'download to your ps4' but nothing happens when I select that.

All because I upgraded my Pro HDD! I've restored my licences too but no joy.

Any ideas?
Image

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cuttooth, GlassjAw, Jazzem, Karl, Lagamorph, Mafro, OldSoulCyborg, Pedz, Poser and 54 guests