NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Preezy » Tue May 29, 2018 11:32 am

They just have zero sense of humour in that place, it's tiresome.

User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Green Gecko » Tue May 29, 2018 4:06 pm

:lol: If we had that there would be about 5 entries per year.

Edit:
Reason: User Banned (Duration Pending): Unironic use of the pejorative "SJW", framing diversity efforts as a world-ruining agenda

Agendas man, agendas. How do these guys even have debates?

I honestly can't believe how many unnecessary moderator actions are actioned on that site per day.

Edit 2: :lol:

I have some concerns with Reset. Please read this post with an open mind and I will try to be respectful. I signed up because not only the fact I see potential in the site, but also the fact that I have concerns and don't know any other way to express them besides signing up and asking so I can get my answers straight from the horses mouth. [---] I pray that my post was presented in the cleanest, most respectful manner possible. I am far too used to being banned for being me and it worries me that I even have to preface this with,"please don't ban me." Thank you for reading.

The user was warned for this post.

Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by lex-man » Tue May 29, 2018 4:23 pm

There ban list is a great read.

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Preezy » Tue May 29, 2018 4:30 pm

Green Gecko wrote:How do these guys even have debates?

It's like they just want this big echo chamber where they can endlessly agree with each other and squash any differing opinion on anything.

User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Tomous » Tue May 29, 2018 4:32 pm

I use it to check up on videogame news and they normally jump on anything going on very quickly.

I have no desire whatsoever to sign up and contribute though.

User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Green Gecko » Tue May 29, 2018 4:37 pm

I'm going to post something super inflammatory, and mind-boggling, and world destroying: alternative opinions are a good thing because they make debate possible, even if they aren't delivered in the most politik way. This is how people learn and the world most likely improves, and society is formed.

Amazing idea isn't it? I've never seen such evidence of editorial-driven discussion before.

Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
PES Fan
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by PES Fan » Tue May 29, 2018 4:44 pm

Their latest banning

Using the term "gay" pejoratively.

May contain Star Wars solo spoilers

They completely misinterpreted lando. He’s a suave smooth talking ladies man but in this movie he comes across as like a flamboyant gay dude. I thought Alden was fine as young Han and the Darth Maul cameo was totally pointless and cheesy. The twist where the maurader turned out to be some kid was bad too and dragged the movie down. First half of the film was good though.


He got a 3 day ban for the above.

Before any other Liverpool fan cries I'd like to humbly apologise for my "edgy" comment about Karius not being consoled by his teammates. Just like the fans, they all proved themselves to be great lads after the game, the cameras just happened to miss it. I'm sorry. You'll never walk alone* *I hope your kids die of cancer!!!!!


This guy just got 5 days.

User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Green Gecko » Tue May 29, 2018 4:51 pm

To be fair I'd probably consider the last post pretty awful trolling even in jest but the first one isn't exactly black and white, "flamboyant gay dude" certainly describes some gay people and if a character comes across as gay-ish because they're flamboyant or in some other way evocative of gay culture (and I'm well aware the two terms are NOT intrinsically connected), it's tasteless yes but I don't see it as categorically wrong thing to say. Obviously it would be different if was something like "flamboyant gay fairy" or flamboyant gay twat" because that is aggressive and not simply comparing something with something else.

I'm not really sure the word "dude" can ever be interpreted badly. It's mildly homophobic and condescending at worst.

Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Hexx » Tue May 29, 2018 5:01 pm

Dude is homophobic?

User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Green Gecko » Tue May 29, 2018 5:08 pm

Apparently. I mean, going with my one punch man signature theme, is this guy homophobic or celebrating openly gay and flamboyant, yet super strong, characters? Not to mention the reams of androgynous and other gay characters in anime, and characters with no obvious sexual orientation, because it simply doesn't matter (because it's normal anyway)?

Image



I would describe that as a "gay dude" in the traditional, totally ridiculous and hyperbolic style of anime. And maybe that's how that guy felt about Han Solo. Who let's be honest, in retrospective, is pretty camp.

But nooo the word "gay" is always bad. Isn't that more homophobic? Do gay people really need that kind of protection, from being compared to straight characters? I find that pretty condescending in the tone of almost all of resetera's moderation. It is, in a way, stifling discussion of gay characteristics, whether overzealously or fictionally assigned or not, by disallowing those comparisons.

"Don't compare anyone to a gay person, these people don't like being compared to anyone" is presumptuous and exclusive, not inclusive, because it is stifling comparisons of culture and characteristics that simply exist.

Over to you Hexx.

Disclaimer: Last night I dreamed of dressing up in drag that became increasingly realistic over the duration of the dream. I have found myself attracted to men in the past. I have dressed in drag and enjoyed it. After thinking deeply about this today, I have determined I am about 20% gay.

Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Hexx » Tue May 29, 2018 5:14 pm

Green Gecko wrote:Apparently. I mean, going with my one punch man signature theme, is this guy homophobic or celebrating openly gay and flamboyant, yet super strong, characters? Not to mention the reams of androgynous and other gay characters in anime, and characters with no obvious sexual orientation, because it simply doesn't matter (because it's normal anyway)?

Image



I would describe that as a "gay dude" in the traditional, totally ridiculous and hyperbolic style of anime. And maybe that's how that guy felt about Han Solo. Who let's be honest, in retrospective, is pretty camp.

But nooo the word "gay" is always bad. Isn't that more homophobic? Do gay people really need that kind of protection, from being compared to straight characters? I find that pretty condescending in the tone of almost all of resetera's moderation. It is, in a way, stifling discussion of gay characteristics, whether overzealously or fictionally assigned or not, by disallowing those comparisons.

"Don't compare anyone to a gay person, these people don't like being compared to anyone" is presumptuous and exclusive, not inclusive, because it is stifling comparisons of culture and characteristics that simply exist.

Over to you Hexx.


I don't even know what any of this is.

I get the perceived problem with "gay dude"
But not "dude"

But whatever you be you. Be happy.

PES Fan
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by PES Fan » Tue May 29, 2018 5:14 pm

Green Gecko wrote:To be fair I'd probably consider the last post pretty awful trolling even in jest but the first one isn't exactly black and white, "flamboyant gay dude" certainly describes some gay people and if a character comes across as gay-ish because they're flamboyant or in some other way evocative of gay culture (and I'm well aware the two terms are NOT intrinsically connected), it's tasteless yes but I don't see it as categorically wrong thing to say. Obviously it would be different if was something like "flamboyant gay fairy" or flamboyant gay twat" because that is aggressive and not simply comparing something with something else.

I'm not really sure the word "dude" can ever be interpreted badly. It's mildly homophobic and condescending at worst.


I don’t think the first poster should have been banned.

Second poster got off lightly even though he was trolling compared to what other posters have gotten.

Everyone was expecting the place to be something different from Neogaf. It’s somehow got way worse without EvilLore, which is some sort of achievement.

User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by KK » Tue May 29, 2018 5:18 pm

Preezy wrote:
Green Gecko wrote:How do these guys even have debates?

It's like they just want this big echo chamber where they can endlessly agree with each other and squash any differing opinion on anything.

Preezy Banned (Permanent): Negatively characterizing ResetEra as an echo chamber. Whining.

Image
User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Green Gecko » Tue May 29, 2018 5:33 pm

I appreciate I have chucked you a bit in the deep end there, Hexx.

Even if that is pretty much my mental image of you mixed with a Wigglytuff ;) :wub:

PES Fan wrote:Second poster got off lightly even though he was trolling compared to what other posters have gotten.

Everyone was expecting the place to be something different from Neogaf. It’s somehow got way worse without EvilLore, which is some sort of achievement.

Oh right, I see you were making a comparison.

I'd probably agree. Although I find the whole comparing punishment things a bit fallacious, I really would prefer people not to be dicks, but what can you do.

Football just seems to amp everything up to a whole new, identifiably "banter" level, that I find very tough to decode through the veil of the Internet and my lack of knowledge on the culture and subject.

Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Tomous » Tue May 29, 2018 5:41 pm

Wishing people’s kids die of cancer definitely isn’t within the realms of acceptable football banter

User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Green Gecko » Tue May 29, 2018 5:50 pm

Oh yeah, I wouldn't consider that an enigma. :dread:

Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
Karl
Seyana!
Seyana!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Karl » Tue May 29, 2018 5:54 pm

I don't see a problem with any of the bans on that GitHub page. Saying that you don't like a character because he comes across as a "flamboyant gay dude" is homophobic, at least in phrasing. "SJW" is a slur used to belittle people who care about equality, and it's good they have a rule against using it. "Die of cancer" even as a joke is obviously worthy of a ban.

User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Green Gecko » Tue May 29, 2018 6:04 pm

You see this is why we have highly paid SJWs on our team :wub: ;)

I really am a terrible moderator. I go from super hands off to super worked up.

I seem to be in a cool mood today.

Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
Karl
Seyana!
Seyana!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Karl » Tue May 29, 2018 6:08 pm

Green Gecko wrote:You see this is why we have highly paid SJWs on our team :wub: ;)

:lol:

I recognise I am probably the only person on GRcade that cares about this stuff which is why I don't enforce it on here. But if I were running a huge site like Era then TBH I'd moderate in exactly the same way they do.

User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Ad7 » Tue May 29, 2018 6:10 pm

I feel like I'm in a sheltered corner of the internet or something. I have no idea what sjw is, the best I can guess is Sarah Jessica woman


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: KK, Oblomov Boblomov, Preezy, Quantum Name, Slayerx, Vermilion and 58 guests