NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Venom
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: London
Contact:

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Venom » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:56 pm

Garth wrote:They had to do it on GAF because with so many thousands of users you ended up with pages of people dropping in to post about wanting a game on a different platform rather than discussing the game itself, which made for shitty reading. Not such of an issue on a smaller forum like GRcade.


Garth wrote:None of the GAF mods made it over to Reset Era as mods, saw some around as regular members though.

Edit: the 'lazy devs' thing and port begging issue were both already in Resetera's rules too:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/faq.315/


I was never on GAF regularly enough to notice but I get your point. Looking at ResetEra's rules they do allow you to make a well-reasoned case for a port. As for the mods, I was under the impression that many were from GAF? That they resigned, got together to form this new company - along with Shinobi.

User avatar
captain red dog
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol, UK

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by captain red dog » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:03 pm

Tomous wrote:
captain red dog wrote:Well it's hardly surprising because FIFA Switch was utterly gimped. If there is an example of "lazy devs" then FIFA 18 on Switch is the very definition of it.


It's not utterly gimped, it's absolutely fine. It's lacking a mode or two but it's still a very complete package with the added bonus of portability.

The lack of the friend invite was poor though.

When it misses entire major game modes and costs the same as the other platforms, it's gimped in my opinion!

User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Tomous » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:14 pm

captain red dog wrote:
Tomous wrote:
captain red dog wrote:Well it's hardly surprising because FIFA Switch was utterly gimped. If there is an example of "lazy devs" then FIFA 18 on Switch is the very definition of it.


It's not utterly gimped, it's absolutely fine. It's lacking a mode or two but it's still a very complete package with the added bonus of portability.

The lack of the friend invite was poor though.

When it misses entire major game modes and costs the same as the other platforms, it's gimped in my opinion!


Well sacrifices have to be made somewhere because simply put, the Switch isn't as powerful as the other consoles. On the flip side, you have the advantage of portability.

User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Oblomov Boblomov » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:04 pm

Tomous wrote:
captain red dog wrote:
Tomous wrote:
captain red dog wrote:Well it's hardly surprising because FIFA Switch was utterly gimped. If there is an example of "lazy devs" then FIFA 18 on Switch is the very definition of it.


It's not utterly gimped, it's absolutely fine. It's lacking a mode or two but it's still a very complete package with the added bonus of portability.

The lack of the friend invite was poor though.

When it misses entire major game modes and costs the same as the other platforms, it's gimped in my opinion!


Well sacrifices have to be made somewhere because simply put, the Switch isn't as powerful as the other consoles. On the flip side, you have the advantage of portability.

Hate to say it but I'm on Red Dog's side this time.

Image
User avatar
Tell Karl his brother is dead
Daiakuma
Daiakuma
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Tell Karl his brother is dead » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:11 pm

At the risk of turning this into a Switch thread -- I still don't really think the market is even there for your CODs and FIFAs on Switch. The people who make FIFA a year-in-year-out success will already have their PS4 set up, y'know? (That's a bit tangential to whether the release was gimped, but might explain why it was gimped, if that makes sense.)

User avatar
Tell Karl his brother is dead
Daiakuma
Daiakuma
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Tell Karl his brother is dead » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:16 pm

More on-topic with ResetEra, I'm not sure I could really venture into the serious discussion threads, they seem a bit intense for me. I've been keeping up with a few communities (or 'hangouts'!) though.

As a whole forum it's IMO far worse than here because your posts just fade into the noise and no-one knows anyone else, but the niche interest threads are good because you can actually talk about anime/programming/etc and find a fair few others who are interested.

User avatar
Lastpostamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Lastpostamorph » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:18 pm

Karl wrote:More on-topic with ResetEra, I'm not sure I could really venture into the serious discussion threads, they seem a bit intense for me. I've been keeping up with a few communities (or 'hangouts'!) though.

Much like Neogaf the serious threads can still tend to be very much in their American bubble.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
captain red dog
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol, UK

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by captain red dog » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:25 pm

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:
Tomous wrote:
captain red dog wrote:
Tomous wrote:
captain red dog wrote:Well it's hardly surprising because FIFA Switch was utterly gimped. If there is an example of "lazy devs" then FIFA 18 on Switch is the very definition of it.


It's not utterly gimped, it's absolutely fine. It's lacking a mode or two but it's still a very complete package with the added bonus of portability.

The lack of the friend invite was poor though.

When it misses entire major game modes and costs the same as the other platforms, it's gimped in my opinion!


Well sacrifices have to be made somewhere because simply put, the Switch isn't as powerful as the other consoles. On the flip side, you have the advantage of portability.

Hate to say it but I'm on Red Dog's side this time.

Why do you hate to say it, I'm not that bad! :lol:

User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Oblomov Boblomov » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:04 pm

captain red dog wrote:
Oblomov Boblomov wrote:
Tomous wrote:
captain red dog wrote:
Tomous wrote:
captain red dog wrote:Well it's hardly surprising because FIFA Switch was utterly gimped. If there is an example of "lazy devs" then FIFA 18 on Switch is the very definition of it.


It's not utterly gimped, it's absolutely fine. It's lacking a mode or two but it's still a very complete package with the added bonus of portability.

The lack of the friend invite was poor though.

When it misses entire major game modes and costs the same as the other platforms, it's gimped in my opinion!


Well sacrifices have to be made somewhere because simply put, the Switch isn't as powerful as the other consoles. On the flip side, you have the advantage of portability.

Hate to say it but I'm on Red Dog's side this time.

Why do you hate to say it, I'm not that bad! :lol:

As a Derby fan, red dogs are my sworn enemy...

Image
User avatar
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:49 pm

Some of the threads over there are so hyper liberal at times it's almost parody. Like they had a thread stating that the German version of Wolf 2 "ignores the Holocaust", like as if the devs are Holocaust deniers rather than you know, it just being censored in Germany like every single game that references Nazism is over there. Like I'm liberal but god damn resetera is almost too left leaning.

Image
User avatar
1cmanny1
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: New Zealand

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by 1cmanny1 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:39 am

I had no idea about the NeoGaf thing until seeing this thread. What a delight.
I strawberry floating hated Evillore, the narcissist virgin shithead.

I once told him the forum was gooseberry fool, as the user count was broken and the site couldn't cope with demand. Why was he strawberry floating parading around like a rich git, with a site 10x shittier than this one? I got some snarky reply back, so screw him.



Errkal wrote:
Karl wrote:Our community's pretty good when you think about it. We all know each other and nine times out of ten we can chat and have a laugh without anyone getting upset. We don't have any complete idiots or wankers (apart from Moggy :x ). And I've defo made one or two dodgy calls as an admin but at least I'm not Evilore. ;)

Sincere welcome to anyone from GAF looking to come here to retire from all the drama. It's certainly more relaxed and chill. I think this is true even in the politics thread.


I think our simple rule set helps, it allows for enterpritation and our mods can interprit they also need to do thei modding publicing rather than via an annonymiser so tends to be more human and thought out as there is recourse for actions if they were ott and hamfisted.



Albear wrote:Errkal's our communications Officer in case anybody was wondering.


:lol:

Image
User avatar
1cmanny1
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: New Zealand

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by 1cmanny1 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:41 am

Brerlappin wrote:Some of the threads over there are so hyper liberal at times it's almost parody. Like they had a thread stating that the German version of Wolf 2 "ignores the Holocaust", like as if the devs are Holocaust deniers rather than you know, it just being censored in Germany like every single game that references Nazism is over there. Like I'm liberal but god damn resetera is almost too left leaning.


It's like that with most of the internet. I spend an awful lot of time reading/arguing with ultra leftist no brains in the New Zealand subreddit. It seems to be the current hip thing.

Image
User avatar
Christmas CrackErrkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Christmas CrackErrkal » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:45 am

1cmanny1 wrote:I had no idea about the NeoGaf thing until seeing this thread. What a delight.
I strawberry floating hated Evillore, the narcissist virgin shithead.

I once told him the forum was gooseberry fool, as the user count was broken and the site couldn't cope with demand. Why was he strawberry floating parading around like a rich git, with a site 10x shittier than this one? I got some snarky reply back, so screw him.



Errkal wrote:
Karl wrote:Our community's pretty good when you think about it. We all know each other and nine times out of ten we can chat and have a laugh without anyone getting upset. We don't have any complete idiots or wankers (apart from Moggy :x ). And I've defo made one or two dodgy calls as an admin but at least I'm not Evilore. ;)

Sincere welcome to anyone from GAF looking to come here to retire from all the drama. It's certainly more relaxed and chill. I think this is true even in the politics thread.


I think our simple rule set helps, it allows for enterpritation and our mods can interprit they also need to do thei modding publicing rather than via an annonymiser so tends to be more human and thought out as there is recourse for actions if they were ott and hamfisted.



Albear wrote:Errkal's our communications Officer in case anybody was wondering.


:lol:


Equal opportunities init.

User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by lex-man » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:19 am

darksideby182 wrote:
lex-man wrote:I don't know have you tried the PC version?

The pc version seems fine (only done the 10 hour free trial but thats plenty to say its fine)


I played a bunch of Fifa 17 and had tons of problems with the game. Manly it kept randomly swapping the controls round so you'd suddenly be playing as the other team. Also I had a bunch of problems with the frame rate and getting it to run at 60 fps was annoying.

User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by lex-man » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:22 am

1cmanny1 wrote:
Brerlappin wrote:Some of the threads over there are so hyper liberal at times it's almost parody. Like they had a thread stating that the German version of Wolf 2 "ignores the Holocaust", like as if the devs are Holocaust deniers rather than you know, it just being censored in Germany like every single game that references Nazism is over there. Like I'm liberal but god damn resetera is almost too left leaning.


It's like that with most of the internet. I spend an awful lot of time reading/arguing with ultra leftist no brains in the New Zealand subreddit. It seems to be the current hip thing.


What thread is that in, kind of interested to read what they said.

User avatar
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:30 am

lex-man wrote:
1cmanny1 wrote:
Brerlappin wrote:Some of the threads over there are so hyper liberal at times it's almost parody. Like they had a thread stating that the German version of Wolf 2 "ignores the Holocaust", like as if the devs are Holocaust deniers rather than you know, it just being censored in Germany like every single game that references Nazism is over there. Like I'm liberal but god damn resetera is almost too left leaning.


It's like that with most of the internet. I spend an awful lot of time reading/arguing with ultra leftist no brains in the New Zealand subreddit. It seems to be the current hip thing.


What thread is that in, kind of interested to read what they said.


Cant see it at the moment but it was literally just like "German version of Wolf 2 ignores the holocaust" as the title

Image
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Saint of Killers » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:53 am

lex-man wrote:
1cmanny1 wrote:
Brerlappin wrote:Some of the threads over there are so hyper liberal at times it's almost parody. Like they had a thread stating that the German version of Wolf 2 "ignores the Holocaust", like as if the devs are Holocaust deniers rather than you know, it just being censored in Germany like every single game that references Nazism is over there. Like I'm liberal but god damn resetera is almost too left leaning.


It's like that with most of the internet. I spend an awful lot of time reading/arguing with ultra leftist no brains in the New Zealand subreddit. It seems to be the current hip thing.


What thread is that in, kind of interested to read what they said.


https://www.resetera.com/threads/lets-d ... in-2.5118/

Worth noting that even in the uncensored version of Wolf 2 there's hardly any mention of the Holocaust.

I really cba reading all of it, but some of the complaints at least seemed to be that the dev/pub made changes which are not required by German law.

| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:35 am

Saint of Killers wrote:
lex-man wrote:
1cmanny1 wrote:
Brerlappin wrote:Some of the threads over there are so hyper liberal at times it's almost parody. Like they had a thread stating that the German version of Wolf 2 "ignores the Holocaust", like as if the devs are Holocaust deniers rather than you know, it just being censored in Germany like every single game that references Nazism is over there. Like I'm liberal but god damn resetera is almost too left leaning.


It's like that with most of the internet. I spend an awful lot of time reading/arguing with ultra leftist no brains in the New Zealand subreddit. It seems to be the current hip thing.


What thread is that in, kind of interested to read what they said.


https://www.resetera.com/threads/lets-d ... in-2.5118/

Worth noting that even in the uncensored version of Wolf 2 there's hardly any mention of the Holocaust.

I really cba reading all of it, but some of the complaints at least seemed to be that the dev/pub made changes which are not required by German law.


Its pedantry at its best. Every game set in WW2 has made concessions for its German release, Wolf is no different

Image
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by KK » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:41 am

It's probably that the developers/publishers of the game couldn't be bothered to go through every intricacy of German law and rather than risk accidently getting banned, played it safe.

At least it got a release due to these changes; in the 90s/early 00s it would have just been banned outright.

Image
User avatar
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: NeoGAF owner accused of sexual assault - spin-off site Resetera launched
by Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:59 pm

KK wrote:It's probably that the developers/publishers of the game couldn't be bothered to go through every intricacy of German law and rather than risk accidently getting banned, played it safe.

At least it got a release due to these changes; in the 90s/early 00s it would have just been banned outright.


Exactly, but you know, implying Machinegames are denying the holocaust gets more clicks

Image

Return to “Stuff”