Last Game You Finished and Your Rating

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Gemini73 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:59 am

Zelda BOTW.

Never got to finish the game due to my save file being corrupted, but I experienced enough to know how impressive the game is and on many levels. Not without its flaws, but few games today deliver quite as rewarding an experience.

9/10

User avatar
IAmTheSaladMan
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by IAmTheSaladMan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:10 am

Gemini73 wrote:Zelda BOTW.

Never got to finish the game due to my save file being corrupted, but I experienced enough to know how impressive the game is and on many levels. Not without its flaws, but few games today deliver quite as rewarding an experience.

9/10


I feel your pain, I lost an 80 plus hour Final Fantasy VII save file with all the limit breaks, top weapons for each character, Ultimate, Ruby and Emerald defeated etc when a dodgy 3rd party memory card corrupted.

Image
User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Gemini73 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:36 am

IAmTheSaladMan wrote:
Gemini73 wrote:Zelda BOTW.

Never got to finish the game due to my save file being corrupted, but I experienced enough to know how impressive the game is and on many levels. Not without its flaws, but few games today deliver quite as rewarding an experience.

9/10


I feel your pain, I lost an 80 plus hour Final Fantasy VII save file with all the limit breaks, top weapons for each character, Ultimate, Ruby and Emerald defeated etc when a dodgy 3rd party memory card corrupted.


Yeah it's a tad shite, but these things happen. It's only a game after all. :)

User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Corazon de Leon » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:59 am

Gemini73 wrote:
IAmTheSaladMan wrote:
Gemini73 wrote:Zelda BOTW.

Never got to finish the game due to my save file being corrupted, but I experienced enough to know how impressive the game is and on many levels. Not without its flaws, but few games today deliver quite as rewarding an experience.

9/10


I feel your pain, I lost an 80 plus hour Final Fantasy VII save file with all the limit breaks, top weapons for each character, Ultimate, Ruby and Emerald defeated etc when a dodgy 3rd party memory card corrupted.


Yeah it's a tad shite, but these things happen. It's only a game after all. :)


I lost a Timesplitters 2 file with something like 45/66 platinum challenge medals for the same reason. It hurts, man. :(

Image Image
User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Brerlappin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:43 pm

Stories Untold 8/10

I really, really enjoyed this. Its 4 separate stories, all built around a central premise. In one chapter, youre just playing a text adventure game on a old C64/Speccy type computer. In another, you're operating lab equipment, etc. The gameplay is essentially you figuring out how each machine works, so its kidna like mundane job simulator in a way, but the stories are creepy and well told, and in a weird way i loved working with all the machinery, flicking switches, turning dials, or typing in commands. There is an overarching story linking all the chapters together that's really quite well done and only reveals itself right at the very end. A really unique and enjoyable game.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Tafdolphin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:53 pm

Brerlappin wrote:Stories Untold 8/10

I really, really enjoyed this. Its 4 separate stories, all built around a central premise. In one chapter, youre just playing a text adventure game on a old C64/Speccy type computer. In another, you're operating lab equipment, etc. The gameplay is essentially you figuring out how each machine works, so its kidna like mundane job simulator in a way, but the stories are creepy and well told, and in a weird way i loved working with all the machinery, flicking switches, turning dials, or typing in commands. There is an overarching story linking all the chapters together that's really quite well done and only reveals itself right at the very end. A really unique and enjoyable game.


Got to bit where you play the game inside the game and every goes...weird and quit. Biggest scare I'd had in ages.

Goat wrote:Guy probably decided not to show up because he heard Taffy was a Cow-exploding fantasist mentalist.

Bloggy blog blog blog.
Newsletter!
User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Brerlappin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:06 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:
Brerlappin wrote:Stories Untold 8/10

I really, really enjoyed this. Its 4 separate stories, all built around a central premise. In one chapter, youre just playing a text adventure game on a old C64/Speccy type computer. In another, you're operating lab equipment, etc. The gameplay is essentially you figuring out how each machine works, so its kidna like mundane job simulator in a way, but the stories are creepy and well told, and in a weird way i loved working with all the machinery, flicking switches, turning dials, or typing in commands. There is an overarching story linking all the chapters together that's really quite well done and only reveals itself right at the very end. A really unique and enjoyable game.


Got to bit where you play the game inside the game and every goes...weird and quit. Biggest scare I'd had in ages.


The very first story? :lol: Cmon Taf you can do better than that!!

i gooseberry fool myself when you hear the voice breathing in your ear

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Tafdolphin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:49 pm

Brerlappin wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:
Brerlappin wrote:Stories Untold 8/10

I really, really enjoyed this. Its 4 separate stories, all built around a central premise. In one chapter, youre just playing a text adventure game on a old C64/Speccy type computer. In another, you're operating lab equipment, etc. The gameplay is essentially you figuring out how each machine works, so its kidna like mundane job simulator in a way, but the stories are creepy and well told, and in a weird way i loved working with all the machinery, flicking switches, turning dials, or typing in commands. There is an overarching story linking all the chapters together that's really quite well done and only reveals itself right at the very end. A really unique and enjoyable game.


Got to bit where you play the game inside the game and every goes...weird and quit. Biggest scare I'd had in ages.


The very first story? :lol: Cmon Taf you can do better than that!!

i gooseberry fool myself when you hear the voice breathing in your ear


Went back to it. Forced myself through, proper gooseberry fool me up. Second one was great, but not really scary. Onto the third which is a bit too much "squint squint is that a w or a u?"

Goat wrote:Guy probably decided not to show up because he heard Taffy was a Cow-exploding fantasist mentalist.

Bloggy blog blog blog.
Newsletter!
User avatar
kazanova_Frankenstein
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by kazanova_Frankenstein » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:02 pm

Ironhide wrote:9 Persons, 9 Hours, 9 Doors (PC version) - 9/10

Brilliant stuff, loved it.

I've previously played and finished the DS version and seen two of the possible 'bad' endings and have just finished the PC version once and seen the 'cliffhanger' ending.

Will be playing it again to unlock all the endings which is fairly easy thanks to the new flowchart system which lets you to restart from any part of the storyline you've already seen.


This may.... may be in my top 5 games of all time. I played it on DS and was utterly blown away by it. It does however lead me to reappraise what I actually look for in a video game (i.e. Gameplay is not fundamental to me loving a game) which makes me somewhat sad.

Image
User avatar
kazanova_Frankenstein
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by kazanova_Frankenstein » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:03 pm

Ironhide wrote:
I wrote:9 Persons, 9 Hours, 9 Doors (PC version) - 9/10

Brilliant stuff, loved it.

I've previously played and finished the DS version and seen two of the possible 'bad' endings and have just finished the PC version once and seen the 'cliffhanger' ending.

Will be playing it again to unlock all the endings which is fairly easy thanks to the new flowchart system which lets you to restart from any part of the storyline you've already seen.


Just finished the 'True' ending.

WTF did I just watch Who was that at the very end? Akane/June or Alice?


The latter I believe.

Image
User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Brerlappin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:26 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:
Brerlappin wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:
Brerlappin wrote:Stories Untold 8/10

I really, really enjoyed this. Its 4 separate stories, all built around a central premise. In one chapter, youre just playing a text adventure game on a old C64/Speccy type computer. In another, you're operating lab equipment, etc. The gameplay is essentially you figuring out how each machine works, so its kidna like mundane job simulator in a way, but the stories are creepy and well told, and in a weird way i loved working with all the machinery, flicking switches, turning dials, or typing in commands. There is an overarching story linking all the chapters together that's really quite well done and only reveals itself right at the very end. A really unique and enjoyable game.


Got to bit where you play the game inside the game and every goes...weird and quit. Biggest scare I'd had in ages.


The very first story? :lol: Cmon Taf you can do better than that!!

i gooseberry fool myself when you hear the voice breathing in your ear


Went back to it. Forced myself through, proper gooseberry fool me up. Second one was great, but not really scary. Onto the third which is a bit too much "squint squint is that a w or a u?"


First one is definitely the scariest. The others are more creepy/weird, but it all comes together in the end.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Tafdolphin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:49 pm

Brerlappin wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:
Brerlappin wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:
Brerlappin wrote:Stories Untold 8/10

I really, really enjoyed this. Its 4 separate stories, all built around a central premise. In one chapter, youre just playing a text adventure game on a old C64/Speccy type computer. In another, you're operating lab equipment, etc. The gameplay is essentially you figuring out how each machine works, so its kidna like mundane job simulator in a way, but the stories are creepy and well told, and in a weird way i loved working with all the machinery, flicking switches, turning dials, or typing in commands. There is an overarching story linking all the chapters together that's really quite well done and only reveals itself right at the very end. A really unique and enjoyable game.


Got to bit where you play the game inside the game and every goes...weird and quit. Biggest scare I'd had in ages.


The very first story? :lol: Cmon Taf you can do better than that!!

i gooseberry fool myself when you hear the voice breathing in your ear


Went back to it. Forced myself through, proper gooseberry fool me up. Second one was great, but not really scary. Onto the third which is a bit too much "squint squint is that a w or a u?"


First one is definitely the scariest. The others are more creepy/weird, but it all comes together in the end.


Welp, thanks brer for making me go back to this as I just finished and it's marvellous.

Mild spoilers below



...


I knew very little about it going in, and thought it was basically a bunch of unconnected Stranger Things references. How wrong I was. Everyone's been banging on about Edith Finch but this hit me much, much harder. While the former really is a bunch of disconnected tableaus, Stories Untold is a weaving together of ideas and emotions that serve to deepen the fairly simple overarching plot. The fact that it actually makes you experience these emotions, fear, dread, confusion, just adds to the experience.

Loved the foreshadowing too, especially the two cars that suddenly appear in the snow in ep 3 and the horn sound coming from the 'aliens' (really the horn of the oncoming car), everything in The House Abandon but especially the car becoming 'warped', the fact that one of the codenames on the microfilm is Jennifer and that you have to destroy the heart to get to the memories in the second ep. Oh and the worst one, a line from the female Station 2: "James, I can't feel my legs...what are you doing?" Shivers.

tl;dr A fantastically well told story that is scary, creepy and genuinely experimental. If you liked Her Story and Gine Home you'll definitely get something from this. It's a crime it hasn't gotten more attention.

EDIT: Oh oh, I also managed to freak myself out on Ep 4:Just as the doctor's voice says "You need to end this session"... The game closed. Well, minimised. Turned out my mouse had slid off the game onto my second monitor but strawberry float if I didn't think that was an effective ending for a few seconds there.

Goat wrote:Guy probably decided not to show up because he heard Taffy was a Cow-exploding fantasist mentalist.

Bloggy blog blog blog.
Newsletter!
User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Brerlappin » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:40 am

Tafdolphin wrote:
Brerlappin wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:
Brerlappin wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:
Brerlappin wrote:Stories Untold 8/10

I really, really enjoyed this. Its 4 separate stories, all built around a central premise. In one chapter, youre just playing a text adventure game on a old C64/Speccy type computer. In another, you're operating lab equipment, etc. The gameplay is essentially you figuring out how each machine works, so its kidna like mundane job simulator in a way, but the stories are creepy and well told, and in a weird way i loved working with all the machinery, flicking switches, turning dials, or typing in commands. There is an overarching story linking all the chapters together that's really quite well done and only reveals itself right at the very end. A really unique and enjoyable game.


Got to bit where you play the game inside the game and every goes...weird and quit. Biggest scare I'd had in ages.


The very first story? :lol: Cmon Taf you can do better than that!!

i gooseberry fool myself when you hear the voice breathing in your ear


Went back to it. Forced myself through, proper gooseberry fool me up. Second one was great, but not really scary. Onto the third which is a bit too much "squint squint is that a w or a u?"


First one is definitely the scariest. The others are more creepy/weird, but it all comes together in the end.


Welp, thanks brer for making me go back to this as I just finished and it's marvellous.

Mild spoilers below



...


I knew very little about it going in, and thought it was basically a bunch of unconnected Stranger Things references. How wrong I was. Everyone's been banging on about Edith Finch but this hit me much, much harder. While the former really is a bunch of disconnected tableaus, Stories Untold is a weaving together of ideas and emotions that serve to deepen the fairly simple overarching plot. The fact that it actually makes you experience these emotions, fear, dread, confusion, just adds to the experience.

Loved the foreshadowing too, especially the two cars that suddenly appear in the snow in ep 3 and the horn sound coming from the 'aliens' (really the horn of the oncoming car), everything in The House Abandon but especially the car becoming 'warped', the fact that one of the codenames on the microfilm is Jennifer and that you have to destroy the heart to get to the memories in the second ep. Oh and the worst one, a line from the female Station 2: "James, I can't feel my legs...what are you doing?" Shivers.

tl;dr A fantastically well told story that is scary, creepy and genuinely experimental. If you liked Her Story and Gine Home you'll definitely get something from this. It's a crime it hasn't gotten more attention.

EDIT: Oh oh, I also managed to freak myself out on Ep 4:Just as the doctor's voice says "You need to end this session"... The game closed. Well, minimised. Turned out my mouse had slid off the game onto my second monitor but strawberry float if I didn't think that was an effective ending for a few seconds there.


Im glad you liked it! Yeah i thought they were all separate stories too, so it really threw me for a loop at the end when it all came together. Even as i was playing it i thought "theres no way you can have a believeable link between these stories, they must be all standalone tales". It was excellently done. I missed a lot of the smaller hints in your spoilers there, so i might re play it. In the house abandon there were a few rooms i didnt explore too.

User avatar
Crimson
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Crimson » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:10 am

Glad to see folks enjoying Stories Untold as much as I did. Definitely an underappreciated gem that's gotten lost amidst the sea of many other great games this year.

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Jenuall » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:00 pm

Sonic Generations - 8/10 (9/10 if I let my nostalgia factor sway me :P)

I was a huge Sonic fan back in the day but it has taken me quite a while to get round to this one, but strawberry float me that was way better than a modern Sonic game has any right to be! I've not played any new Sonic games since Sonic Adventure 2 on the Dreamcast so I don't know too much about what's been going on in the interim (under than being aware that Sonic 06 was a travesty and there was some gooseberry fool to do with were-hogs a few years later?) but it feels like they've finally worked out a way to make the 3D sonic levels not terrible. Also whilst the physics were still a bit off the 2D stages were also more enjoyable than I expected.

All in all it was a really enjoyable game to blast through, also it was actually surprisingly funny at times in a self-aware kind of way which brought a few grins from this old-time sonic fan.

Image
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Saint of Killers » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:42 am

Ys Origin (PS4) - No hyperbole here, honest: game is up there with the best of 2017 for me. The main game (I didn't touch time attack or arena mode) is a very tight package with little to offer in the way of diversions, however, the combat is super smooth and does have depth to it, on all the characters, and that's where the game shines.

Last edited by Saint of Killers on Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Squinty » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:21 am

Super Meat Boy - 7/10

I've played this before, but I was not able to stick with it beyond finishing the Light World. This time was much the same. Movement physics are so goddamn tight, it's the often obnoxious level design and difficulty curve that annoy the living gooseberry fool out of me. It starts to become less fun as it goes along.

I guess that's the whole point.

User avatar
IAmTheSaladMan
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by IAmTheSaladMan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:20 am

Spyro 2 on PS1 via PS3. I thoroughly enjoyed this, as I said when I beat the first one a year or so back these games are about as close to an N64 platformer as your likely to see on PlayStation. I'm gonna go back and get the last couple of gems but I'm not sure if I'll bother with the skill points.

I'll give this 8/10 I might have scored it a little higher but there were a few frustrating objectives toward the end.

Image
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by jawafour » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:53 am

IAmTheSaladMan wrote:Spyro 2... about as close to an N64 platformer as your likely to see on PlayStation...

I'd agree with you on that point, Salads. I've only played the first Spyro, but the styling and solidity of the environments really did look as good as the N64 platformers. The PS often struggled technically in this area but Spyro got it spot-on... great coding!

User avatar
_/\_YUNGSTAR_/\_
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by _/\_YUNGSTAR_/\_ » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:58 am

Damn..... what remains of edith finch, a truly amazing game, an easy 10/10.

While I'm sure people will pick other stories as a favourite, for me the comic level is brilliant and there needs to be a full game based on short stories played in this way.

Longevity, perhaps not. But the best game I've played in many a year "Everybody's Gone to The Rapture" aside.

Image

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: andretmzt, AndyXL, BID0, Godzilla, JediDragon05, KK and 54 guests