Last Game You Finished and Your Rating

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Kriken
Member
Joined in 2015
Contact:

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Kriken » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:58 pm

Sonic Mania. Again. And this time with all the chaos emeralds. Satisfying playing this straight after finishing the classic Sonic games for the first time. Now I appreciate most of the nods and which stages came from which game, and truly appreciate the level of detail and graphical upgrade. That's not to say I didn't like the game a ton when I first played it, but now it seems like something truly special.

A minor niggle though: after clearing the game on a save, I don't understand why there isn't an option to go straight to the UFO special stages since they aren't specific to certain zones anyway. Had no reason not to just go to the green hill zone one over and over again - but this did lead to me discovering another special stage ring that was a lot closer - since it's basically in your path and not hard to get to. Most of the special stages are not that difficult but it's still very easy to mess up in some dumb way, and you have to make that journey again.

In CD - at least the remaster, by the same guy - special stages are checkpointed so you can quit out before you fail them and then try them again immediately.

That said Mania's special stages are easily the best - at least compared to the ones I've played and remembered (Sonic 1-3, CD, Advance 1, Rush). I like the way you can approach them strategically.

Rating: great/8

User avatar
Pedz
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Pedz » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:48 pm

Sonic 2s are my Fave. Love running down the half pipe.

ImageImageImageImage.
Image
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Tafdolphin » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:17 pm

Prey (2017) 8/10

For the last year, this was one of my biggest disappointments...an immersive sim from the masters of the immersive sim that was just bad. Terrible combat, unclear plotting, boring quests. After my first attempted playthrough, which I quit at the 20 hour mark, I was enraged at all the time I'd wasted on it.

Still. People kept telling me how good it was, how it was at least as good as some of the Dishonored games. I refused to believe it, and people liking the game actually became one of my half-joking (but only half) bugbears.

And now I have to admit that I was wrong.

I finally finished it tonight and, although I stand by a lot of my initial criticisms, it is in fact a good game. A great game even, save for some pacing issues and a bafflingly terrible endgame. It's a spiritual sequel to the System Shock series, and when played as such is every bit as enjoyable as SS2 was back in the day. Unfortunately it suffers from the same shortcomings as that game too: the combat really is terrible until you've levelled up, it's about 5 or 6 hours too long, it's occasionally over-indulgent and it really does have a terrible ending.

But the immersive elements are unrivalled, superseding even Dishonored in the sheer freedom it gives the player. This can work against it, too many options can lead to paralysis, but when it clicks it works incredibly well.

A flawed but fantastic experience. A shame we'll likely never see a continuation.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Pedz
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Pedz » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:33 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:Prey (2017) 8/10

For the last year, this was one of my biggest disappointments...an immersive sim from the masters of the immersive sim that was just bad. Terrible combat, unclear plotting, boring quests. After my first attempted playthrough, which I quit at the 20 hour mark, I was enraged at all the time I'd wasted on it.

Still. People kept telling me how good it was, how it was at least as good as some of the Dishonored games. I refused to believe it, and people liking the game actually became one of my half-joking (but only half) bugbears.

And now I have to admit that I was wrong.

I finally finished it tonight and, although I stand by a lot of my initial criticisms, it is in fact a good game. A great game even, save for some pacing issues and a bafflingly terrible endgame. It's a spiritual sequel to the System Shock series, and when played as such is every bit as enjoyable as SS2 was back in the day. Unfortunately it suffers from the same shortcomings as that game too: the combat really is terrible until you've levelled up, it's about 5 or 6 hours too long, it's occasionally over-indulgent and it really does have a terrible ending.

But the immersive elements are unrivalled, superseding even Dishonored in the sheer freedom it gives the player. This can work against it, too many options can lead to paralysis, but when it clicks it works incredibly well.

A flawed but fantastic experience. A shame we'll likely never see a continuation.


But is it better than Bioshock?

ImageImageImageImage.
Image
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Ironhide » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:39 pm

Pedz wrote:Sonic 2s are my Fave. Love running down the half pipe.


This.

I do like the original one though, mainly for the Escher reference in the background.

Image
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Tafdolphin » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:57 pm

Pedz wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:Prey (2017) 8/10

For the last year, this was one of my biggest disappointments...an immersive sim from the masters of the immersive sim that was just bad. Terrible combat, unclear plotting, boring quests. After my first attempted playthrough, which I quit at the 20 hour mark, I was enraged at all the time I'd wasted on it.

Still. People kept telling me how good it was, how it was at least as good as some of the Dishonored games. I refused to believe it, and people liking the game actually became one of my half-joking (but only half) bugbears.

And now I have to admit that I was wrong.

I finally finished it tonight and, although I stand by a lot of my initial criticisms, it is in fact a good game. A great game even, save for some pacing issues and a bafflingly terrible endgame. It's a spiritual sequel to the System Shock series, and when played as such is every bit as enjoyable as SS2 was back in the day. Unfortunately it suffers from the same shortcomings as that game too: the combat really is terrible until you've levelled up, it's about 5 or 6 hours too long, it's occasionally over-indulgent and it really does have a terrible ending.

But the immersive elements are unrivalled, superseding even Dishonored in the sheer freedom it gives the player. This can work against it, too many options can lead to paralysis, but when it clicks it works incredibly well.

A flawed but fantastic experience. A shame we'll likely never see a continuation.


But is it better than Bioshock?


It's not as culturally important, but it obviously plays better (as it's 10 years newer!).

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
kazanova_Frankenstein
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by kazanova_Frankenstein » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:32 pm

God of War 3 Remastered (PS4)

I really wasn't expecting much from this tbh. Did not expect it to be my type of game and awaited a button mashing mess. The last game i had played in the series was the original GoW on PS2.

How wrong i was.

Found this game engaging from beginning to end. The pacing seemed perfect, and the puzzles were fun without being overly challenging, allowing for a good pause and time for reflection before the next action set piece. Combat was a touch on the easy side, but i did not really mind this, as it provided a suitable level of challenge between each stunning vista.

The only criticism i have of the game (given its inherent nature and genre), is that some jumps could be a touch hard to judge, and the camera swings could make it occasionally tricky to gauge landings etc.

Strongly recommend anyone who has PS+ to give it a try.

8

Image
User avatar
Manwell Pablo
Member
Joined in 2017

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Manwell Pablo » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:12 pm

Doom (2016) 8.5/10

Part of me want's to give it 9 but it just doesn't seem right to give a game which essentially repeats a similar formula (take an open area, fill it with demons, player kills demons, move on to next area) over an over, but it is just that much fun. :lol:.

It's just mindless fast paced and gore filled old skool shooter, very few ADS mechanisms really add to the feeling that it's a throw back to the classic ID software shooters of the 90's, but they've added the depth and customisation of a modern game with the suit/weapon/rune upgrades in too, and the look and sound of it is just great, the soundtrack fits with the game perfectly, very similar to Quake 2's as I remember it. I thought I'd enjoy this but nowhere near as much as I did, highly recommended.

Image
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Ironhide » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:13 pm

Persona 3 Portable - 8/10

As one of the few JRPGs I've ever finished, the game clearly does a lot right but there's a few minor annoyances, such as the fact that most of the summonable 'personas' don't really have any unique abilities aside from a couple you acquire towards the end of the game, also the 'fusion' system whereby you create new personas can be a little confusing as you have no way to easily see what you can make other than trial and error (later on the game does tell you exactly which cards you need when combining 4 or more but the 2 and 3 card combinations are still guesswork - I ended up using an online calculation tool).

Finally the ending didn't seem very clear as to what happens to MAJOR SPOILER
the main character - did they fall asleep, die from exhaustion or were they dying anyway and that's why they could defeat Nyx?

Image
User avatar
Kriken
Member
Joined in 2015
Contact:

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Kriken » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:09 pm

Ironhide wrote: also the 'fusion' system whereby you create new personas can be a little confusing as you have no way to easily see what you can make other than trial and error (later on the game does tell you exactly which cards you need when combining 4 or more but the 2 and 3 card combinations are still guesswork - I ended up using an online calculation tool).

Finally the ending didn't seem very clear as to what happens to MAJOR SPOILER
the main character - did they fall asleep, die from exhaustion or were they dying anyway and that's why they could defeat Nyx?

Kind of agree with you where the fusion system is concerned. I think they should at least have a library of fusions you've already carried out so you can look at them for future reference. I don't believe later games add even that though.

As to the spoiler:
In case you wanted to know, the main character dies. Persona 3 FES, which continues the story, clarifies that. And later games reference it too. I didn't mind it being vague in 3 or Portable though.


Also I competed Dracula X Chronicles to a more satisfying degree now, but I did use Maria for some sections and she is pretty much easy mode in all but name. Might go back and do those couple of sections I didn't do as Richter with him, but I might just play through the original Rondo/PSP port of the game instead.

User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Hime » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:45 am

Super Hot
Finished this a couple of weeks ago and it's fricking awesome. Beat it in 2 sittings and it's single handedly given me faith that I do still like indie games after not really enjoying A Night in the Woods, Sonic Mania, Hollow Knight or Stardew Valley.

Image
User avatar
Manwell Pablo
Member
Joined in 2017

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Manwell Pablo » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:06 am

Monkey Man wrote:It only took me a couple of attempts on Normal difficulty so didn't drag for me. It was basically kill bad guys with time stuff and a shotgun, avoid whatever that thing was using time rush, shoot boss then repeat once (or twice?).


I confess this is probably a lot to do with me getting to the last boss late on a Friday night after a few alcoholic beverages but he was a nightmare and I could not beat him for love nor money on Hard and had to go to bed and regroup :lol: , the next morning I needed about 6-8 attempts I think and got it done.

I don't know if this was the same on normal but his time grenades were a one hit kill on Hard and if you time dodged into a piece of scenery (unavoidable at times thanks to the camera angle) and were still on the edge of the blast radius it was game over. It had to be time dodge as well as he throws to many to use time dash all the time. It's frustrating as it felt like the difficulty was a result of the games iffy control scheme.

Image
User avatar
imbusydoctorwho
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by imbusydoctorwho » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:05 pm

SNK Heroines Tag Team Frenzy
Fun and easy to pick up fighting game, shame there's a lack of content here.
6/10

User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Gemini73 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:59 pm

Oxenfree.

Delightfully creepy.

8/10

“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here".
User avatar
Jazzem
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Jazzem » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:49 am

Lemmings

Took me way, way too long to beat this childhood classic that I've long held as one of my all time favourite games, but thanks to motivation of finishing games by streaming them it is done.

10/10 obviously <3

Gemini73 wrote:Oxenfree.

Delightfully creepy.

8/10


I was pleasantly surprised how effectively creepy this was ha, sense of isolation and fear of the unknown is so strong at points. Stayed with me more than the narrative to be honest, though I still greatly enjoyed the cast of characters

User avatar
Pedz
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Pedz » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:12 am

Metroid Fusion.

A few months ago I stopped streaming and recently started back up. I decided it best to tackle something I have played to get back into the swing of things. I settled on Metroid Fusion, something I played, but not since launch. Well, I'm really glad I did. It's so good. I forgot just how good. Is it as good as Super Metroid? I don't think it quite hits that high. Though I haven't played Super in about the same time as my first playtrough of Fusion. So, I may changey mind on that. Anyway, Metroid Fusion definitely has some QoL improvements that Super could do with, I just think the atmosphere on the BSL isn't as great of that of SR388.

Lastly. 9.5/10

ImageImageImageImage.
Image
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by jawafour » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:48 am

Jazzem wrote:Lemmings

Took me way, way too long to beat this childhood classic that I've long held as one of my all time favourite games, but thanks to motivation of finishing games by streaming them it is done...

It was fun watching the stream, Jazzem, and although I had to leave before the end I have just caught up on your video; well played, dude!

Pedz wrote:Metroid Fusion.

A few months ago I stopped streaming and recently started back up. I decided it best to tackle something I have played to get back into the swing of things. I settled on Metroid Fusion, something I played, but not since launch...

It's great to see you streaming again. I haven't seen much of Fusion but it looked like a cool game. I bet it felt good to get your game show up and running, Pedz!

User avatar
Jazzem
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Jazzem » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:49 am

jawafour wrote:
Jazzem wrote:Lemmings

Took me way, way too long to beat this childhood classic that I've long held as one of my all time favourite games, but thanks to motivation of finishing games by streaming them it is done...

It was fun watching the stream, Jazzem, and although I had to leave before the end I have just caught up on your video; well played, dude!


D'aww thank you sir :toot: And no worries on leaving early! Final level wasn't too bad, just quite long and involved multitasking. The penultimate one took me ages and lead to much consternation...only to find out (with help from Matt) it wasn't as bad as it first seemed :p

Pedz wrote:Metroid Fusion.

A few months ago I stopped streaming and recently started back up. I decided it best to tackle something I have played to get back into the swing of things. I settled on Metroid Fusion, something I played, but not since launch. Well, I'm really glad I did. It's so good. I forgot just how good. Is it as good as Super Metroid? I don't think it quite hits that high. Though I haven't played Super in about the same time as my first playtrough of Fusion. So, I may changey mind on that. Anyway, Metroid Fusion definitely has some QoL improvements that Super could do with, I just think the atmosphere on the BSL isn't as great of that of SR388.

Lastly. 9.5/10


Glad you enjoyed! Man I really have to replay Fusion sometime.

Zero Mission next? ;D

Last edited by Jazzem on Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Pedz
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Pedz » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:01 am

jawafour wrote:
Jazzem wrote:Lemmings

Took me way, way too long to beat this childhood classic that I've long held as one of my all time favourite games, but thanks to motivation of finishing games by streaming them it is done...

It was fun watching the stream, Jazzem, and although I had to leave before the end I have just caught up on your video; well played, dude!

Pedz wrote:Metroid Fusion.

A few months ago I stopped streaming and recently started back up. I decided it best to tackle something I have played to get back into the swing of things. I settled on Metroid Fusion, something I played, but not since launch...

It's great to see you streaming again. I haven't seen much of Fusion but it looked like a cool game. I bet it felt good to get your game show up and running, Pedz!


Yeah, was great getting back to it, just disappointing that people who used to watch my streams in the evenings aren't available in the days :( I beat Fusion and no one was there :cry:

Jazzem wrote:Zero Mission next? ;D


I very much might play that.

ImageImageImageImage.
Image
User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Gemini73 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:38 am

Jazzem wrote:
Gemini73 wrote:Oxenfree.

Delightfully creepy.

8/10


I was pleasantly surprised how effectively creepy this was ha, sense of isolation and fear of the unknown is so strong at points. Stayed with me more than the narrative to be honest, though I still greatly enjoyed the cast of characters


I loved the twist at the end as well. Defintely will replay it at some point.

“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here".

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Kriken, Parksey, Saint of Killers and 54 guests