Last Game You Finished and Your Rating

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
IAmTheSaladMan
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by IAmTheSaladMan » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:20 pm

If only such a place existed, oh well a man can dream.

Image
User avatar
Fade
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: San Junipero

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Fade » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:56 pm

Brerlappin wrote:An Emu Paradise, if you will

Image

Image
User avatar
The Cuttcracker Suite
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by The Cuttcracker Suite » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:34 pm

ADR1FT - 3/10

Take a walking simulator, completely slow movement down to a crawl, make the player do one thing four times in a row, and remove any semblance of an interesting, coherent story; you've got yourself the most forgettable pointless game in quite a few years.

The sense of initial helplessness in a space disaster that's carried over from Gravity is neat for ten minutes but the fact you never have to actually worry about your oxygen levels throughout makes the threat completely tedious in comparison.

It looks great, especially outside the station, and I imagine those initial ten to fifteen minutes of tension must be amazing in VR, but beyond that a giant waste of three hours.

User avatar
Fruits Punch Samurai
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Oswaldtwistle
Contact:

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Fruits Punch Samurai » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:08 pm

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap 8/10 Rushed through this back in 2004 due to hearing that the European version of the game was a bit glitchy, making 100% impossible. Playing it through again, I realise this was an exaggeration and only needed to be aware of one trade that could scuff things up. Loved the Kin Stone trading and tightly packed world this time round.

Kirby & The Amazing Mirror 6/10 It's pretty, it's fun, but the world feels more like a series of random rooms rather than something carefully constructed. Makes for a fairly confusing experience at times.

Cooking Mama World: Babysitting Mama 4/10 Bought this as a laugh for my partner, but sat through most of it anyway. Repetitive, and a little (very) embarrassing to play, even if it was with my partner. Don't shake the baby.

User avatar
IAmTheSaladMan
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by IAmTheSaladMan » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:44 am

In a way it is impossible to 100% Minish Cap. I think you were meant to able to make houses for all three Oracles but it's only possible to make two.

I've been quite busy today,

Tiny Toon Adventures on Mega Drive. Excellent platform game. It doesn't look quite as good as Buster Busts Loose on SNES but I think it is a more enjoyable game overall. 8/10

Altered Beast on Mega Drive. In a word, gooseberry fool. Up there with Last Battle and Sword of Sodan as one of the worst games I've played on the system. If the whole thing wasn't so sluggish they could have made a decent game out of this.
5/10

Ghouls 'n Ghosts on Mega Drive. A fun but frustrating platformer. I've never really liked the jumping mechanic in this series and having to finish the game twice to get the ending is a nuisance.
7/10

Image
User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Squinty » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:57 am

IAmTheSaladMan wrote:I've been quite busy today,

Tiny Toon Adventures on Mega Drive. Excellent platform game. It doesn't look quite as good as Buster Busts Loose on SNES but I think it is a more enjoyable game overall. 8/10


This is a fantastic game that I completely forgot about. Stuck a lot of time into this when I was younger.

User avatar
Jordan UK
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Jordan UK » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:33 pm

Dead Rising 4 (Xbox One) [6]

+Seeing thousands of zombies pour at you can still be quite a thrill.
+Irreverent, silly approach can be entertaining.
+Christmas atmosphere works well. I liked the Mall and Old Town settings in the game.
+LOVED all of the nods to previous Capcom games - I can quite happily spend a few hours mulching zombies dressed as Zangief or Bionic Commando!

-Buggy with events failing to trigger, zombies dropping in from the sky.
-Environment (outside of the mall and old town) is needlessly sprawling and empty. Reminds of N64-era games, vast empty space with little of interest.
-Generally felt a little rushed with all of the with identical safe houses, survivors and psychos.
-Combat could have been refined since '3'. It's too easy for the large part. I think the designers need to put their heads together and create a game where the player's power scales up so that the zombies are at least initially scary. It's still quite a power trip to smack around hundreds of zombies but with no real danger they can just be a barrier in the way of where you want to go.
-Evolved zombies are skittish and frustrating to put down with the spongy controls.
-Vehicle controls have such massive oversteer they aren't fun.
-Using the camera to find clues in the environment is over-used and can take too much time.
-Multiplayer seems tacked-on and could have really benefitted from a storyline of its own.
-Generally a poorer game than '3'.
-Very few memorable moments. The removal / watering-down of the 'Psychos' was a bad decision.

Came away feeling slightly disappointed with this. Dead Rising is fun when it's polished, plays smoothly and has a gentle challenge. This is still silly and entertaining with its irreverence but was clearly rushed out to make the Christmas period. They would have done better by keeping this in the can and refining it a little more.

User avatar
Trelliz
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Trelliz » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:16 pm

Mass Effect 3 - PC

Mass Effect was a blind-spot for me for a long time, my only real knowledge coming from the bizarre knee-jerk reactions by uninformed morality wardens complaining that it was a space orgy game, and later with this that the ending was uniformly terrible and the subsequent backlash forced Bioware to expand the ending in response.

Having seen it all through myself I somewhat agree with the criticisms over the latter, even with the expanded endings in place. On the one hand I liked the broadly Lovecraftian overtones - people trying to reach beyond the stars and finding that we are not the biggest or most important thing in the universe, that there are more vast, ancient and otherwise ambivalent entities and systems which barely recognise our existence at all. The game spends so long building up this world, forcing you to make choices and seeing the consequences of those choices, that when you get to choose how to deal with the Reapers it feels like a bit of a cop-out. I guess the important thing is the relationships you build along the way, and even the brief glimpses of how your party and friends turned out in the end is a reward in itself. I personally went for the Synthesis ending but watched the other two on YouTube just to see how they turned out. It was a relief to have antagonists motivated by something other than "I'm going to take over the world!", however I guess The Illusive Man played that role in a secondary fashion.

Technically the game was a bit of a mess, despite making movement more flexible and reintroducing weapon modding in a more reserved manner compared to ME1. At one point I had to use a save editor to un-break a side mission and in several cases the mission text and UI were completely unhelpful; in ME2 each mission was broken down in the journal, showing you progress, what people had said and where to go next. In this a lot of that information was missing or completely incorrect, I was asked to get a part for the Normandy but in the shop which sold it it was under a completely different name.

Also I cannot omit how grotesquely ME3 forces you to play multiplayer to improve the end of the game by multiplying your war assets by your "galactic readiness" level. Fortunately it still has an active multiplayer community, but even then the blind-purchase crates you buy with real money or in-game credits rubbed me the wrong way even more considering its just a wave-based horde mode.

I'm glad to have experienced the story of Shepherd and friends without the multi-year wait between releases and am therefore less pissed than the die-hard fans at the time but it still left me a bit disappointed.

7/10

Tragic Magic wrote:I'm giving esteem a name of crafty Fu mining pinitz strawberry float me I live roasted ponuts

Never pre-order or pre-purchase a console, game or season pass.
User avatar
Lotus
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Lotus » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:46 pm

Trelliz wrote:Mass Effect 3 - PC

Mass Effect was a blind-spot for me for a long time, my only real knowledge coming from the bizarre knee-jerk reactions by uninformed morality wardens complaining that it was a space orgy game, and later with this that the ending was uniformly terrible and the subsequent backlash forced Bioware to expand the ending in response.

Having seen it all through myself I somewhat agree with the criticisms over the latter, even with the expanded endings in place. On the one hand I liked the broadly Lovecraftian overtones - people trying to reach beyond the stars and finding that we are not the biggest or most important thing in the universe, that there are more vast, ancient and otherwise ambivalent entities and systems which barely recognise our existence at all. The game spends so long building up this world, forcing you to make choices and seeing the consequences of those choices, that when you get to choose how to deal with the Reapers it feels like a bit of a cop-out. I guess the important thing is the relationships you build along the way, and even the brief glimpses of how your party and friends turned out in the end is a reward in itself. I personally went for the Synthesis ending but watched the other two on YouTube just to see how they turned out. It was a relief to have antagonists motivated by something other than "I'm going to take over the world!", however I guess The Illusive Man played that role in a secondary fashion.

Technically the game was a bit of a mess, despite making movement more flexible and reintroducing weapon modding in a more reserved manner compared to ME1. At one point I had to use a save editor to un-break a side mission and in several cases the mission text and UI were completely unhelpful; in ME2 each mission was broken down in the journal, showing you progress, what people had said and where to go next. In this a lot of that information was missing or completely incorrect, I was asked to get a part for the Normandy but in the shop which sold it it was under a completely different name.

Also I cannot omit how grotesquely ME3 forces you to play multiplayer to improve the end of the game by multiplying your war assets by your "galactic readiness" level. Fortunately it still has an active multiplayer community, but even then the blind-purchase crates you buy with real money or in-game credits rubbed me the wrong way even more considering its just a wave-based horde mode.

I'm glad to have experienced the story of Shepherd and friends without the multi-year wait between releases and am therefore less pissed than the die-hard fans at the time but it still left me a bit disappointed.

7/10

As someone who didn't play the multiplayer, but can vaguely remember the 'galactic readiness' thing from the single player, how does it work? From memory you could improve your galactic readiness in the single player, but in the end it didn't really make any difference, given the points you've mentioned about the endings. Does the multiplayer ask you to work towards that - and even pay money - to improve it, even though it ultimately means nothing?

Image
User avatar
Trelliz
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Trelliz » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:17 pm

Lotus wrote:As someone who didn't play the multiplayer, but can vaguely remember the 'galactic readiness' thing from the single player, how does it work? From memory you could improve your galactic readiness in the single player, but in the end it didn't really make any difference, given the points you've mentioned about the endings. Does the multiplayer ask you to work towards that - and even pay money - to improve it, even though it ultimately means nothing?


Your war assets were multiplied by your galactic readiness to get the final result - you could have 5000 war assets but if your readiness was still at 50% that would only end up at 2500. They patched it soon after launch to lower the required amount so that if you were diligent in doing side missions and didn't do any multiplayer you could still get the "best" ending. Its still a completely egregious system from the previous peak of EA's hubris.

Tragic Magic wrote:I'm giving esteem a name of crafty Fu mining pinitz strawberry float me I live roasted ponuts

Never pre-order or pre-purchase a console, game or season pass.
User avatar
IAmTheSaladMan
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by IAmTheSaladMan » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:59 pm

The Addams Family on Mega Drive. This is a pretty good platform game. It has an almost open world feel to it as while there are set objectives you need to complete to finish the game you are free to tackle the levels in any order and there are a lot of hidden rooms to find and even side quests of a sort to increase your health.

7/10

The Chaos Engine on Mega Drive. This started out really good but I feel began outstaying it's welcome by the end as it is very repetitive. Also the end boss was ridiculous, I found it nigh impossible to avoid his attacks and think my success was purely down to how many lives I had accumulated.

6/10

Image
User avatar
Qikzmas
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Qikzmas » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:48 am

Yoshi's Wooly World

9/10.

Loved it, loved the climax as well. The only reason it misses out on a point for me is some of the collectables are just too damn cryptic to find. Especially the stupid stamps.

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Stay Dead...
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Preezy » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:53 am

IAmTheSaladMan wrote:
Preezy wrote:
IAmTheSaladMan wrote:a load of retro games

How are you playing all of these? I would love to go back and play some of the classic Megadrive games of my youth, but I find emulation a bit daunting :oops:

An emulator called Fusion. It's so simple to use and emulates almost every SG-1000, Master System, Game Gear, Mega Drive, Mega CD and 32X game nigh on perfectly. Individual games can be downloaded in seconds or you can download complete collections in one archive which obviously take a little longer.

Pedz wrote:I use Kega Fusion, it lets you play Master System, Game Gear, Mega Drive, 32x and Mega CD games.

I got hold of Kega Fusion last night and you're both right, how easy was that?! Literally drag and drop a game in and voila, instant childhood memories :mrgreen: :toot:

Played Sol-Deace, Aladdin, Jurassic Park, Streets of Rage 2 and Sonic 2 :wub:

So much nostalgia, my wife kept asking me why I was making excited noises :lol:

Thanks for your help fellas :D

User avatar
OrangeReindeer
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by OrangeReindeer » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:56 am

IAmTheSaladMan wrote:In a way it is impossible to 100% Minish Cap. I think you were meant to able to make houses for all three Oracles but it's only possible to make two.


You were never meant to be able to make all three houses - it's a deliberate reference to the (also capcom) oracle games, and how originally there were going to be three games that all linked together but they reduced it to just ages/seasons.

User avatar
Chestnut Snowleaves
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Leicestershire

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Chestnut Snowleaves » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:54 pm

Gears Of War 4

Well, this was crap. I'm not really sure why, I enjoyed the previous three games in the series and was expecting this to be a mindless bit of fun. What I got was a badly made mess of a game.

Now, I'm not the worlds most skilled gamer, but I'm pretty far from the worst. But strawberry float me if this wasn't painfully difficult in places (on Hardcore, not even the hardest difficulty). Generally speaking you'd come into an area where there would be five-ten bad guys, then you'd progress a little bit more and there would be another five-ten, only this time with a big bad guy with them. Of course, the big bad guy has a weapon which often kills you in one shot. If you die, it's back to the beginning of this area (usually before a cut-scene or repeating dialogue, checkpointing is appalling in this). I would find myself playing areas over and over, which led to me trying to rush through bits, and getting killed even more frequently.

This constant repetition just exacerbates the games flaws, of which there are many. The game's opening act is awful, shooting robot enemies that aren't any fun at all to kill. I was reminded of Halo 5, which I also detested. Things improve slightly after meeting the 'new' bad guys, the Swarm. Of course, these are just re-skinned Locusts, but I didn't really mind that. Sadly the game has so few ideas that that's pretty much the game from thereon out, a couple of crappy on-rails sections and a boss fight that damn near made me chalkitdown the disc into pieces. And then the game just ends, with no fanfare, no drama, nothing. It was like they just got bored of making it.

I get it, people will be all like 'Git gud' or whatever the hilarious phrase is, but when you're getting killed through no fault of your own (the Dropshot quickly became my least favourite thing in the game) and getting put back to fight the same enemies again it just becomes tiresome. That was my main feeling throughout Gears Of War 4, not anger or frustration, but boredom. Genuinely wasn't expecting that at all.

4/10

One other note - I know this will not apply to the majority of people here, but the Achievements in this game can strawberry float off. 300 of the 1000G available can only be unlocked if you 're-up' (get to level 100) ten times. Someone should mention to them that this requires no skill whatsoever, just a ridiculous amount of time. Something that I'm not prepared to give this game one more minute of.

jawafour wrote:You definitely have the biggest one, mhtl - it's strawberry-floatin' massive!
User avatar
IAmTheSaladMan
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by IAmTheSaladMan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:09 am

Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers on NES. Played through this as a kid and loved it and while it still holds up well it's just not quite as good as I remember it being. I think I need to play through it again without save states as I kinda breezed through it using them. 7/10

Image
User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Squinty » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:39 pm

IAmTheSaladMan wrote:Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers on NES. Played through this as a kid and loved it and while it still holds up well it's just not quite as good as I remember it being. I think I need to play through it again without save states as I kinda breezed through it using them. 7/10


The beauty of this game was the two player mode. It was incredibly stupid fun. Picking your partner up and chucking them into something never got old.

I remember the first levels music track to this day.

User avatar
OrangeReindeer
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by OrangeReindeer » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:48 pm

It's definitely all about the co-op.

I want a spiritual sequel with the box hiding mechanic

User avatar
Qikzmas
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Qikzmas » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:02 pm

Gunstar Heroes - 8/10

Very good game, I managed to glitch it quite a bit and it is very difficult if you don't get the right weapon comp, but I finished it using fixed mode and the homing laser, because that gooseberry fool is OP as hell. Final boss was very cool.

I played this when I was younger and never beat the the 7 form boss so beating it finally and then the game was great!

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Stay Dead...
User avatar
Qikzmas
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Last Game You Finished and Your Rating
by Qikzmas » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:34 pm

Kirby Robobobo - 3DS

Image/10

Sick game and the final part was incredible. When Kirby did the thing, manly tears flew from my eyes of pure unadulterated joy. Completely unexpected and completely boss as all hell.

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Stay Dead...

Return to “Games”