Relationship Thread V3 + Fade's Tortoise

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Rudolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Relationship Thread V3 + Fade's Tortoise
by Rudolphin » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:36 pm

Government job = working on the rail tracks for the national rail company. He's tried multiple times to get transferred to the city, but they won't take him.

And my wife is extremely close to him. They were raised in a house where she was the favourite and was treated as such (hyuuuuge parental issues going on behind all this). She knows he has different goals from her but she knows he has the potential to make more of his life; he hates his job, hates where he's living and has desperately been searching for a quick fix ever since he returned from Australia. He's an excellent photographer and dallied with doing it for a job but in the end he refused to give up his current position and returned to the life he knew was safe. Now with this child, any chance he had of breaking free from his self doubt cycle is gone, and that's heartbreaking to Marie.

I understand what you're saying but we've come at this from all the angles you mentioned. This is a guy who is immature in the most literal sense of the word, who has great potential but who refused to rise to it due to crippling self confidence issues. Now he's made some rushed decisions, possibly under manipulation, and that potential is gone.

I find the whole thing incredibly sad.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: Relationship Thread V3 + Fade's Tortoise
by Mafro » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:59 pm

Karl wrote:Imagine hearing about a country where you have a right to a bit of extended leave once in a while and thinking "oh no what about the poor boss who will have to get a temp in" :lol:

Oh yeah, forgot he's from America or Canada or wherever.

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
Karl
Seyana!
Seyana!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Relationship Thread V3 + Fade's Tortoise
by Karl » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:00 pm

Mafro wrote:
Karl wrote:Imagine hearing about a country where you have a right to a bit of extended leave once in a while and thinking "oh no what about the poor boss who will have to get a temp in" :lol:

Oh yeah, forgot he's from America or Canada or wherever.

They think the world will stop turning if employees aren't treated like slaves, it's sad really.

User avatar
Silent Right
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Relationship Thread V3 + Fade's Tortoise
by Silent Right » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:39 am

> Explained some circumstances in which taking such a leave might be ok.
> Said maybe there's more to this then I understand.

OMG! What a slave driver, he thinks I shouldn't be allowed to just up and leave for a year.

Yeah alright, well strawberry float me I guess. :|

Tafdolphin wrote:Now with this child, any chance he had of breaking free from his self doubt cycle is gone, and that's heartbreaking to Marie.

I understand what you're saying but we've come at this from all the angles you mentioned. This is a guy who is immature in the most literal sense of the word, who has great potential but who refused to rise to it due to crippling self confidence issues. Now he's made some rushed decisions, possibly under manipulation, and that potential is gone.

I find the whole thing incredibly sad.


Again you know the situation better than anyone on here, so feel free to tell me if I'm wrong but I think being a father is an excellent chance for him to break out of that cycle of self doubt, and achieve something that will be incredibly meaningful to him. He may not be prepared for it, and honestly I don't think any guy is, but at least he wants to do the right thing, and at the very least I think that's a good sign, and shows he's more mature then a lot of other guys out there.

Saying that this potential is gone makes it sound like his life has been ruined. The course of his life has changed, but certainly not ruined, he still has the potential to do what he wants, yes it will be harder but it's not gone!

For now really all you can do is support your wife as I'm sure the whole situation will be very hard on her, and maybe lend him a hand if he needs some help or someone to talk to. As other have said just be careful with what you say as I'm sure everyone is going to be very stressed.

Pelloki on ghosts wrote:Just start masturbating furiously. That'll make them go away.

Image
User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Relationship Thread V3 + Fade's Tortoise
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:07 am

Karl wrote:
Mafro wrote:
Karl wrote:Imagine hearing about a country where you have a right to a bit of extended leave once in a while and thinking "oh no what about the poor boss who will have to get a temp in" :lol:

Oh yeah, forgot he's from America or Canada or wherever.

They think the world will stop turning if employees aren't treated like slaves, it's sad really.


STFU plebs, anymore of that talk and you’ll be off to the workhouse.

User avatar
Octoroc
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Blighty

PostRe: Relationship Thread V3 + Fade's Tortoise
by Octoroc » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:11 am

Rightey's comments are perfectly valid. He comes from a different country and culture and so naturally has a different perspective.

That's very healthy for a discussion forum otherwise we just have a meaningless, stagnant consensus of opinion.

Disagree with him by all means, but don't berate him please.

Maybe I've been lucky, but I've always had good bosses and worked in a climate of mutual respect. It's a two way street: worker's rights are important, but providing jobs for people is important too.

pjbetman
Member
Joined in 2017

PostRe: Relationship Thread V3 + Fade's Tortoise
by pjbetman » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:10 am

Karl wrote:
Mafro wrote:
Karl wrote:Imagine hearing about a country where you have a right to a bit of extended leave once in a while and thinking "oh no what about the poor boss who will have to get a temp in" :lol:

Oh yeah, forgot he's from America or Canada or wherever.

They think the world will stop turning if employees aren't treated like slaves, it's sad really.


American work culture is massively different to here...and we think we have it bad. Some of the stories I read on Reddit about workers' 'rights' are nuts. In fact, American welfare culture is a disgrace too.

User avatar
Octoroc
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Blighty

PostRe: Relationship Thread V3 + Fade's Tortoise
by Octoroc » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:18 am

Relationships? You know, ladies and stuff?

I'm getting matches on Bumble but no conversations.

User avatar
Prototype
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Relationship Thread V3 + Fade's Tortoise
by Prototype » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:38 pm

Karl wrote:Imagine hearing about a country where you have a right to a bit of extended leave once in a while and thinking "oh no what about the poor boss who will have to get a temp in" :lol:


Tolerant as ever, karlprof

User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Relationship Thread V3 + Fade's Tortoise
by Tomous » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:56 pm

pjbetman wrote:
Karl wrote:
Mafro wrote:
Karl wrote:Imagine hearing about a country where you have a right to a bit of extended leave once in a while and thinking "oh no what about the poor boss who will have to get a temp in" :lol:

Oh yeah, forgot he's from America or Canada or wherever.

They think the world will stop turning if employees aren't treated like slaves, it's sad really.


American work culture is massively different to here...and we think we have it bad. Some of the stories I read on Reddit about workers' 'rights' are nuts. In fact, American welfare culture is a disgrace too.


The thing that always gets me is you can go above and beyond for your job and sacrifice your life and they can turn around and sack you the next day for pretty much any reason they like, as long as it’s not because of discrimination.

User avatar
Karl
Seyana!
Seyana!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Relationship Thread V3 + Fade's Tortoise
by Karl » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:57 pm

Prototype wrote:Tolerant as ever, karlprof

What can I say? I'm a scary militant leftist. Joke's on me, they probably wouldn't even let me in to America.

pjbetman
Member
Joined in 2017

PostRe: Relationship Thread V3 + Fade's Tortoise
by pjbetman » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:19 pm

Tomous wrote:
pjbetman wrote:
Karl wrote:
Mafro wrote:
Karl wrote:Imagine hearing about a country where you have a right to a bit of extended leave once in a while and thinking "oh no what about the poor boss who will have to get a temp in" :lol:

Oh yeah, forgot he's from America or Canada or wherever.

They think the world will stop turning if employees aren't treated like slaves, it's sad really.


American work culture is massively different to here...and we think we have it bad. Some of the stories I read on Reddit about workers' 'rights' are nuts. In fact, American welfare culture is a disgrace too.


The thing that always gets me is you can go above and beyond for your job and sacrifice your life and they can turn around and sack you the next day for pretty much any reason they like, as long as it’s not because of discrimination.



Yeah. They can sack you for not working overtime (unpaid). They don't have redundancy pay etc. Land of opportunity ...if you're a big corporation.

User avatar
Octoroc
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Blighty

PostRe: Relationship Thread V3 + Fade's Tortoise
by Octoroc » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:56 pm

I got a bite! I'm chatting with a lady. :toot:

User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Relationship Thread V3 + Fade's Tortoise
by Rocsteady » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:32 pm

Be prepared for disappointment, it’s all a numbers game online.

Image
User avatar
Octoroc
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Blighty

PostRe: Relationship Thread V3 + Fade's Tortoise
by Octoroc » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:31 am

Rocsteady wrote:Be prepared for disappointment, it’s all a numbers game online.


So it would seem. :lol:

User avatar
Winckle
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: Relationship Thread V3 + Fade's Tortoise
by Winckle » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:41 pm

Karl wrote:Imagine hearing about a country where you have a right to a bit of extended leave once in a while and thinking "oh no what about the poor boss who will have to get a temp in" :lol:

North Americans say the wackiest things!

User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Relationship Thread V3 + Fade's Tortoise
by Tomous » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:54 pm

Octoroc wrote:
Rocsteady wrote:Be prepared for disappointment, it’s all a numbers game online.


So it would seem. :lol:



Get on Tinder as well as Bumble, if you haven’t already.

User avatar
Octoroc
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Blighty

PostRe: Relationship Thread V3 + Fade's Tortoise
by Octoroc » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:02 pm

Tomous wrote:
Octoroc wrote:
Rocsteady wrote:Be prepared for disappointment, it’s all a numbers game online.


So it would seem. :lol:



Get on Tinder as well as Bumble, if you haven’t already.


Can't get past the login screen. :fp:

User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Relationship Thread V3 + Fade's Tortoise
by Tomous » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:03 pm

Octoroc wrote:
Tomous wrote:
Octoroc wrote:
Rocsteady wrote:Be prepared for disappointment, it’s all a numbers game online.


So it would seem. :lol:



Get on Tinder as well as Bumble, if you haven’t already.


Can't get past the login screen. :fp:


Ah, that’s how they secretly block the ugly people, sorry dude

User avatar
Octoroc
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Blighty

PostRe: Relationship Thread V3 + Fade's Tortoise
by Octoroc » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:56 pm

Tomous wrote:
Octoroc wrote:
Tomous wrote:
Octoroc wrote:
Rocsteady wrote:Be prepared for disappointment, it’s all a numbers game online.


So it would seem. :lol:



Get on Tinder as well as Bumble, if you haven’t already.


Can't get past the login screen. :fp:


Ah, that’s how they secretly block the ugly people, sorry dude


I reinstalled the app and it's working now.

I'm not sure about this ugly filter you mentioned...


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Skarjo, tolrag and 51 guests