US Politics - Trump cancels summit having to do with North Korea

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: The American Politics Thread
by Alvin Flummux » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:25 pm

Garth wrote:Yeah I think the major concern is what NK would do to SK in retaliation. No-one wants to trigger a war that could cause so much death and destruction.


Not without some safeguards in place to mitigate the opposition's field capabilities, like a wave of MOAB strikes on NK artillery positions and advancing army groups, or something.

That million man army would be tough to kill off without some serious force multipliers though.

One day, I know we'll meet again, under the Iron Sky...
User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Northampton

PostRe: The American Politics Thread
by Return_of_the_STAR » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:28 pm

Alvin Flummux wrote:
Garth wrote:Yeah I think the major concern is what NK would do to SK in retaliation. No-one wants to trigger a war that could cause so much death and destruction.


Not without some safeguards in place to mitigate the opposition's field capabilities, like a wave of MOAB strikes on NK artillery positions and advancing army groups, or something.

That million man army would be tough to kill off without some serious force multipliers though.


This is the big problem for the US, they can't possibly take out all the NK army and artillery positions straight away. Seoul will be in ruins.

Image

GRAPL Heavyweight Champion 2010, Runner Up 2017, tag team Champion 2011, 2015, Wrestlemania PPV Winner 2012 and your current all time highest GRAPL points scorer.
Fixture feeling champion 2013.

I'm a Paul Heyman guy!
User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: The American Politics Thread
by Alvin Flummux » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:43 pm

Return_of_the_STAR wrote:
Alvin Flummux wrote:
Garth wrote:Yeah I think the major concern is what NK would do to SK in retaliation. No-one wants to trigger a war that could cause so much death and destruction.


Not without some safeguards in place to mitigate the opposition's field capabilities, like a wave of MOAB strikes on NK artillery positions and advancing army groups, or something.

That million man army would be tough to kill off without some serious force multipliers though.


This is the big problem for the US, they can't possibly take out all the NK army and artillery positions straight away. Seoul will be in ruins.


This is where a network of underground bunkers for civilian use would come in handy. Surely SK hasn't just been sitting on its hands this whole time?

I can see the term "acceptable losses" and "collateral damage" being bandied around the war rooms of the Americans and their allies, even now, especially now, in reference to the possibility of the resumption of the war.

One day, I know we'll meet again, under the Iron Sky...
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The American Politics Thread
by Peter Crisp » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:29 am

The problem is the North has had decades to dig themselves in and shield the artillery from pretty much anything short of direct nuclear strikes.
Most countries wouldn't be able to do that mainly because it would cost so much and because they aren't so paranoid and just plain bonkers.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: The American Politics Thread
by Alvin Flummux » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:30 am

Peter Crisp wrote:The problem is the North has had decades to dig themselves in and shield the artillery from pretty much anything short of direct nuclear strikes.
Most countries wouldn't be able to do that mainly because it would cost so much and because they aren't so paranoid and just plain bonkers.


The US has a wide array of bunker-busting missiles, I'm sure the NK artillery isn't that invulnerable.

One day, I know we'll meet again, under the Iron Sky...
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The American Politics Thread
by Peter Crisp » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:31 am

Alvin Flummux wrote:This is where a network of underground bunkers for civilian use would come in handy. Surely SK hasn't just been sitting on its hands this whole time?

I can see the term "acceptable losses" and "collateral damage" being bandied around the war rooms of the Americans and their allies, even now, especially now, in reference to the possibility of the resumption of the war.


I have a feeling the South Koreans themselves have a rather different idea about what they see as acceptable and the capital being flattened in the first day of any war would be seen as rather less than ideal.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: The American Politics Thread
by Alvin Flummux » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:32 am

Peter Crisp wrote:
Alvin Flummux wrote:This is where a network of underground bunkers for civilian use would come in handy. Surely SK hasn't just been sitting on its hands this whole time?

I can see the term "acceptable losses" and "collateral damage" being bandied around the war rooms of the Americans and their allies, even now, especially now, in reference to the possibility of the resumption of the war.


I have a feeling the South Koreans themselves have a rather different idea about what they see as acceptable and the capital being flattened in the first day of any war would be seen as rather less than ideal.


Maybe they should've moved their political center to a less vulnerable city, then?

One day, I know we'll meet again, under the Iron Sky...
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The American Politics Thread
by Peter Crisp » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:33 am

Alvin Flummux wrote:
Peter Crisp wrote:The problem is the North has had decades to dig themselves in and shield the artillery from pretty much anything short of direct nuclear strikes.
Most countries wouldn't be able to do that mainly because it would cost so much and because they aren't so paranoid and just plain bonkers.


The US has a wide array of bunker-busting missiles, I'm sure the NK artillery isn't that invulnerable.


I'm sure they do but the problem is North Korea will know this and have an absolute shitload of sites all trained on that city.
It's not like they have anything else to do to pass the time as they don't have youtube or Star Trek reruns to watch.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The American Politics Thread
by Peter Crisp » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:36 am

Alvin Flummux wrote:
Peter Crisp wrote:
Alvin Flummux wrote:This is where a network of underground bunkers for civilian use would come in handy. Surely SK hasn't just been sitting on its hands this whole time?

I can see the term "acceptable losses" and "collateral damage" being bandied around the war rooms of the Americans and their allies, even now, especially now, in reference to the possibility of the resumption of the war.


I have a feeling the South Koreans themselves have a rather different idea about what they see as acceptable and the capital being flattened in the first day of any war would be seen as rather less than ideal.


Maybe they should've moved their political center to a less vulnerable city, then?


Ipswich doesn't have much going on so that's available.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: The American Politics Thread
by Alvin Flummux » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:39 am

Well, I was thinking somewhere slightly more Korean, but you're on the right track Peter.

One day, I know we'll meet again, under the Iron Sky...
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The American Politics Thread
by Peter Crisp » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:41 am

After Brexit we may need a few extra people.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: The American Politics Thread
by Alvin Flummux » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:45 am

Peter Crisp wrote:After Brexit we may need a few extra people.


Have you tried... opening the borders to the EU?

One day, I know we'll meet again, under the Iron Sky...
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The American Politics Thread
by Peter Crisp » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:52 am

Alvin Flummux wrote:
Peter Crisp wrote:After Brexit we may need a few extra people.


Have you tried... opening the borders to the EU?


We tried those guys and it didn't work so lets try with some Koreans instead.
I'm sure the people of Ipswich will be delighted with the new lovely and polite Korean neighbours.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: The American Politics Thread
by Garth » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:15 am

Trump: Clinton, Obama Outplayed By ‘This Gentleman’ In North Korea

President Donald Trump wouldn’t say whether he had ruled out a military strike against North Korea on Monday, saying only “we’ll see what happens.”

“I don’t want to telegraph what I’m doing or what I’m thinking,” Trump told Fox News’ Ainsley Earhardt. “I’m not like other administrations where they say, ‘We’re going to do this in four weeks.’ It doesn’t work that way. We’ll see what happens. I hope things work out well. I hope there’s going to be peace.”

Vice President Mike Pence, visiting South Korea on Sunday, called North Korea’s failed missile test earlier the same day a “provocation.” On Friday, the Trump administration characterized its strategy toward the country as “maximum pressure and engagement.” A strike group led by the USS Carl Vinson aircraft carrier made its way last week toward the Korean Peninsula.

Trump also made two references in the interview to “this gentleman” in North Korea, who he said had “outplayed” both Presidents Bill Clinton and Barack Obama. The late North Korean ruler Kim Jong Il died in 2011. His son, Kim Jong Un, is the country’s current ruler.

“But, you know, they’ve been talking with this gentleman for a long time,” Trump said. “You read Clinton’s book, he said, ‘Oh, we made such a great peace deal,’ and it was a joke. You look at different things over the years with President Obama. Everybody has been outplayed, they’ve all been outplayed by this gentleman. And we’ll see what happens. But I just don’t telegraph my moves.”

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/t ... rea-strike

Well that's reassuring :dread:

"We'll see what happens", I guess. He doesn't seem to know he's talking about 2 different people either, referring to Kim Jong Il and Kim Jong Un as "this gentleman".

User avatar
DML
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The American Politics Thread
by DML » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:28 am

Do you think he fancies Obama? It's staggering how much he goes on about him.

Image
User avatar
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: The American Politics Thread
by Garth » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:52 am

Image

User avatar
Karl
Seyana!
Seyana!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The American Politics Thread
by Karl » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:34 am

Garth wrote:Image


:lol: Oh my God.

User avatar
Tineash
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The American Politics Thread
by Tineash » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:40 am

Don't worry, he's white so no-one will think it's a sign he secretly hates America.

"exceptionally annoying" - TheTurnipKing
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The American Politics Thread
by Peter Crisp » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:26 pm

He's obviously waiting for God Save the Queen to fire up :shifty: .

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The American Politics Thread
by Peter Crisp » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:36 pm

Americans will be bloody stunned that we can do an entire general election process with all the build-up in just 8 weeks and at a tiny fraction of the cost they need :lol: .

just imagine how bored we'd be if our elections went like US elections with 18 months of campaigning and cost £2B although the battle busses would be pretty cool.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.

Return to “Stuff”