US Politics - Trump cancels summit having to do with North Korea

Our best bits.
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: US Politics - LA Times: Rick Gates to plead guilty + testify against Manafort in Russia investigation
by Preezy » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:06 am

Photek wrote:I remember hating George W Bush but good god I'd have him back in a heartbeat.

I hope Joe Biden goes for election next, he's like a Trump antidote. I love the guy. :wub:

He's even older than Trump! The US needs a younger person (preferably a Hispanic woman to incense the right some more) instead of all these old husks.

User avatar
Monkey Man
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: US Politics - LA Times: Rick Gates to plead guilty + testify against Manafort in Russia investigation
by Monkey Man » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:10 am

Twitter has been banning a load of suspected bot accounts and the right-wing aren't happy - https://twitter.com/hashtag/TwitterLockOut?src=tren


Image
User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: US Politics - LA Times: Rick Gates to plead guilty + testify against Manafort in Russia investigation
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:13 am

Preezy wrote:
Photek wrote:I remember hating George W Bush but good god I'd have him back in a heartbeat.

I hope Joe Biden goes for election next, he's like a Trump antidote. I love the guy. :wub:

He's even older than Trump! The US needs a younger person (preferably a Hispanic woman to incense the right some more) instead of all these old husks.


Biden will be 76 this year, I am not sure a 78 year old candidate is going to be a good idea.

User avatar
Ho-Ho-Ho-tek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: US Politics - LA Times: Rick Gates to plead guilty + testify against Manafort in Russia investigation
by Ho-Ho-Ho-tek » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:14 am

Moggy wrote:
Preezy wrote:
Photek wrote:I remember hating George W Bush but good god I'd have him back in a heartbeat.

I hope Joe Biden goes for election next, he's like a Trump antidote. I love the guy. :wub:

He's even older than Trump! The US needs a younger person (preferably a Hispanic woman to incense the right some more) instead of all these old husks.


Biden will be 76 this year, I am not sure a 78 year old candidate is going to be a good idea.

I know he'll be the oldest ever but he seems more intelligent and less crazy than Trump who's 4 years his junior. I think he'll be excellent.

Image
Grcades resident banana split.
User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: US Politics - LA Times: Rick Gates to plead guilty + testify against Manafort in Russia investigation
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:16 am

Photek wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Preezy wrote:
Photek wrote:I remember hating George W Bush but good god I'd have him back in a heartbeat.

I hope Joe Biden goes for election next, he's like a Trump antidote. I love the guy. :wub:

He's even older than Trump! The US needs a younger person (preferably a Hispanic woman to incense the right some more) instead of all these old husks.


Biden will be 76 this year, I am not sure a 78 year old candidate is going to be a good idea.

I know he'll be the oldest ever but he seems more intelligent and less crazy than Trump who's 4 years his junior. I think he'll be excellent.


He is more intelligent and less crazy than Trump. But he’ll also be 78 when the next election comes around.

If a 78 year old man is the only person that the Democrats can find that is more intelligent and less crazy than Trump, then the Democrats are in really serious trouble.

User avatar
Ho-Ho-Ho-tek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: US Politics - LA Times: Rick Gates to plead guilty + testify against Manafort in Russia investigation
by Ho-Ho-Ho-tek » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:21 am

Moggy wrote:
Photek wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Preezy wrote:
Photek wrote:I remember hating George W Bush but good god I'd have him back in a heartbeat.

I hope Joe Biden goes for election next, he's like a Trump antidote. I love the guy. :wub:

He's even older than Trump! The US needs a younger person (preferably a Hispanic woman to incense the right some more) instead of all these old husks.


Biden will be 76 this year, I am not sure a 78 year old candidate is going to be a good idea.

I know he'll be the oldest ever but he seems more intelligent and less crazy than Trump who's 4 years his junior. I think he'll be excellent.


He is more intelligent and less crazy than Trump. But he’ll also be 78 when the next election comes around.

If a 78 year old man is the only person that the Democrats can find that is more intelligent and less crazy than Trump, then the Democrats are in really serious trouble.

They are in trouble, big trouble. Any party that can't capitalize on the horror show in the white house are redundant. Liz Warren would also be a great candidate but they need to annex Schumer, he's too wishy washy, he trusts the republicans too much no matter how many times he's been burned. He's making the same mistakes Obama did in that regard.

Image
Grcades resident banana split.
User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: US Politics - LA Times: Rick Gates to plead guilty + testify against Manafort in Russia investigation
by Alvin Flummux » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:19 am

The Democrats need to repeat the Obama/Biden duo - a younger politician paired with an older one. If they run with Biden for POTUS, then the VP would be the junior member of the team, akin to Romney/Ryan.

Biden is very old, yes, but he would be fine voluntarily one-term president, paired with a younger VP (Harris, Gillibrand etc) who becomes the de facto heir apparent in 2024.

User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: US Politics - LA Times: Rick Gates to plead guilty + testify against Manafort in Russia investigation
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:34 am

The mistake the Democrats made last time was going with a known politician who was already hated by a sizeable chunk of America. Biden isn’t as hated as Clinton, but he is associated with Obama and will carry that baggage with him. He is also old. Very old. Too old.

Who seriously thought Trump would make a serious run for office 2.5 years before the election? Who thought Obama would be President 2.5 years before he was elected?

The Democrats need to find a really good candidate who isn’t associated and tarnished by previous administrations. Preferably somebody younger who can inspire the nation by using its strengths, rather than a Trump who capitalises on talking the nation down.

Basically they need a second Obama.

User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: US Politics - LA Times: Rick Gates to plead guilty + testify against Manafort in Russia investigation
by Peter Crisp » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:39 am

If the Democrats can't beat this car crash President then that's a pretty poor show. Surely all they need to do is get the vote out of the people who aren't complete Trump loyalists and they'll walk it. They don't even really need policies just promise to not be as batshit mental as Trump and not act like a spoiled 5 year old who feels the need to respond to all criticism.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: US Politics - LA Times: Rick Gates to plead guilty + testify against Manafort in Russia investigation
by Alvin Flummux » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:43 am

The trouble is, Moggy, that everyone who even remotely looks like they're going to challenge Trump in 2020 is already the subject of Trump's opposition research teams, and he's going to smear them all before they get near the nominating convention. No nominee will be "clean" by that time. There can be no second Obama who comes out of nowhere because that era is over, for now at least.

I think Gillibrand could be the Democrats' key, she's been on the pulse of the party and the nation for years now, and way ahead of the game on stuff like #MeToo, but what do I know?

User avatar
Ho-Ho-Ho-tek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: US Politics - LA Times: Rick Gates to plead guilty + testify against Manafort in Russia investigation
by Ho-Ho-Ho-tek » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:43 pm

Peter Crisp wrote:If the Democrats can't beat this car crash President then that's a pretty poor show. Surely all they need to do is get the vote out of the people who aren't complete Trump loyalists and they'll walk it. They don't even really need policies just promise to not be as batshit mental as Trump and not act like a spoiled 5 year old who feels the need to respond to all criticism.

It didn’t work for Hillary.

Image
Grcades resident banana split.
User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: US Politics - LA Times: Rick Gates to plead guilty + testify against Manafort in Russia investigation
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:51 pm

Alvin Flummux wrote:The trouble is, Moggy, that everyone who even remotely looks like they're going to challenge Trump in 2020 is already the subject of Trump's opposition research teams, and he's going to smear them all before they get near the nominating convention. No nominee will be "clean" by that time. There can be no second Obama who comes out of nowhere because that era is over, for now at least.


Trump is not some all powerful evil genius. Sure his team will be looking at potential Democrat challengers and looking for dirt on them, but that doesn’t mean they will be successful.

I am not saying that a relatively unknown Democrat will beat Trump in 2020, I am saying that that gives them a better chance than a 78 year old Joe Biden.

User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: US Politics - LA Times: Rick Gates to plead guilty + testify against Manafort in Russia investigation
by Peter Crisp » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:15 pm

Photek wrote:
Peter Crisp wrote:If the Democrats can't beat this car crash President then that's a pretty poor show. Surely all they need to do is get the vote out of the people who aren't complete Trump loyalists and they'll walk it. They don't even really need policies just promise to not be as batshit mental as Trump and not act like a spoiled 5 year old who feels the need to respond to all criticism.

It didn’t work for Hillary.


The difference now is Trump has shown just how incompetent he is and just how easily he can change his mind on even core values.

The thing that really surprises me is just how much the American people are fine with Presidents taking time off.
This President barely puts in a 4 hour day during the week and even then has loads of holidays and weekends at his golf club. Considering how US conservatives moan like strawberry float at poor people for daring to ask for time off work for small things like being treated for a life or death condition or the birth of a child it's just really odd.
I've seen the BBC interview people in the US who are proud to say they don't take holiday and say that hard work ethic is an American attribute and then the next sentence say "Oh yes the President can have as much time off as they need!".

I hope UK Prime Ministers don't start doing the same as we kind of like them doing what we pay them for which doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Ho-Ho-Ho-tek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: US Politics - LA Times: Rick Gates to plead guilty + testify against Manafort in Russia investigation
by Ho-Ho-Ho-tek » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:24 pm

Peter Crisp wrote:The thing that really surprises me is just how much the American people are fine with Presidents taking time off.


It depends on the president:

Image
Image
Image
Image

Image
Grcades resident banana split.
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: US Politics - LA Times: Rick Gates to plead guilty + testify against Manafort in Russia investigation
by KK » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:25 am

One of Trump’s solutions today was to arm the teachers. So with guns now in the school, what are the chances of a student getting hold of the gun, or a rogue teacher? This doesn’t solve the problem, it just adds to it.

Image
User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: US Politics - LA Times: Rick Gates to plead guilty + testify against Manafort in Russia investigation
by lex-man » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:40 am

KK wrote:One of Trump’s solutions today was to arm the teachers. So with guns now in the school, what are the chances of a student getting hold of the gun, or a rogue teacher? This doesn’t solve the problem, it just adds to it.


Although it does slightly make me want to start teaching again. I'd be easy to make sure that kids do they're homework. Got to make sure all of the classrooms are bullet proof though.

User avatar
Monkey Man
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: US Politics - LA Times: Rick Gates to plead guilty + testify against Manafort in Russia investigation
by Monkey Man » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:27 am

Marco Rubio getting torn apart at the CNN Town Hall. At least he turned up unlike Trump & Scott.

This kid ate his soul -


Image
User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: US Politics - LA Times: Rick Gates to plead guilty + testify against Manafort in Russia investigation
by Alvin Flummux » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:38 am

Moggy wrote:Trump is not some all powerful evil genius. Sure his team will be looking at potential Democrat challengers and looking for dirt on them, but that doesn’t mean they will be successful.


Trump often doesn't even need real dirt, he just needs a little slip-up, a policy flip-flop or something that ordinary politicians might not even go for, and then he whips out a nickname and boom, he's slinging mud like there's no tomorrow.

The dirt he slings may not stick all the time, but the fact that he's always on the offensive means that some of it usually does. If Biden is the Democratic nominee, he'll latch onto his vaguely creepy touchy feeliness instantly, turn him into Pervy Uncle Joe whom you couldn't trust alone with your kids, or something.


Kirsten Gillibrand interview on Colbert:



:wub: Hope she runs in 2020 or 2024.

User avatar
Silent Right
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: US Politics - LA Times: Rick Gates to plead guilty + testify against Manafort in Russia investigation
by Silent Right » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:18 am

Image

https://nypost.com/2018/02/20/russian-t ... -sex-tape/

:lol: WTF is happening on this planet?!

Pelloki on ghosts wrote:Just start masturbating furiously. That'll make them go away.

Image
User avatar
Harry Ola
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: US Politics - LA Times: Rick Gates to plead guilty + testify against Manafort in Russia investigation
by Harry Ola » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:23 am

How to pretend you have empathy when actually you are actually a crazed sociopath....



Have notes reminding you to say "what do you most want me to know about your experience" and "I hear you" when meeting with kids about guns in schools.

Image

Return to “Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests